Simple Ideas

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Ianir said:
    Tarkenton said:
    I mean, it's on the todo list. I have a revised pathing algorithm that will likely take some of the strain off the servers compared to the current one so we can extend it (and it also considers enemy territory and such things), the issue ends up being developer time and time to test. It's on the short-term todo list, but there's so many subsystems that rely on game pathing that I can't really make such a major change overnight either.

Sorry if I came off sounding brusque/angry/demandy about it. I didn't mean right now, or anything like that, I was just curious if it was possible at some point. I absolutely understand the whole "it's on the list, but man, this list" thing.
  • Kerith said:
    Can you please make readlog without an argument output a list of logs we have reading privs for?
    What?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Kerith said:
    Can you please make readlog without an argument output a list of logs we have reading privs for?
    What?
    Readlog -> You can readlog Hallifax, Aerie, Czixi
  • Ah, ok

• Tirah said:
    Tylwyth said:
    Kerith said:
    What?
    Readlog -> You can readlog Hallifax, Aerie, Czixi
    As long as it's in that format. A long list of clans + guild + commune + order + org things [moonspirit/hart] etc will just be bonkers.
  • edited June 2017
    I'm not sure how many logs most people have access to. For me... the Firefox plugin shows commune, collegium, guild, and one clan (because most of my clans apparently have crazy priv restrictions). I didn't even think about the collegium having a log I could read, until I saw that. That's mainly why I'm requesting this, so we can make sure we're reading everything we should be reading. And I didn't know moonspirit was a thing with a log, either... Granted, I can't access it, but I would never have thought to, even if I could. I suppose if people have a crapload of logs they can access, yeah it could get spammy. Putting them all on one line like Tirah's example would be best.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    We need a new trademarked phrase like "Soon(tm)" that means "I see your idea and think it is a good idea and plan to do that idea (or something close) time allowing, it's been written down and will eventually get done when there is spare time" but without the sarcastic part of Soon.

Something like To-Do(tm).
  • edited June 2017
    I would like to recommend and request a review of aethergoop crafting costs with regards to the aethergoop itself.  Since aethergoop is tied to the value of credits via ASHOP, that has a tremendous amount of control over the gold coin value of aethergoop.  This perforce means the price of aethergoop crafted items is largely fixed - there's a fixed line below which one is better off selling aethergoop directly.  Unfortunately, this means aethergoop crafted items are priced well beyond what people are willing to pay for them.

I would like to see aethergoop crafted items have their aethergoop inputs reduced such that the end products can be priced at a level where people actually want to buy them.  I prefer not to enumerate recommended aethergoop costs, since I'd rather see the admins judge for themselves where they want the value of these 'minicredits' to be set at.

• Please allow Chemwoods to switch races. To keep with the feeling of being a tree, only switch the racial-skills and change their desc when looked at to something like "is a huge chemwood resembling a one-eyed krokani".

I love those skills + ar-pee but I hate how it renders my cameo utterly useless. sigh. :(

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Uh, no. 'Woods aren't just a skillset, they're a race that has completely surrendered their form to their version of nature. No offense, but that's a horrible idea.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited June 2017
    You're a horrible idea :). Locking race to class is bad design.
  • edited June 2017
    YOUR FACE IS A BAD DESIGN! xD
    j/k
    much luv.

Though I actually like woods being tied to a skillset. It allows a certain devotion to be forced on players who want the skillset.
    Though, maybe let the cameo work at the elevation your focused on as a compromise.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tarkenton said:
    So what you're saying is that any race should be able to grow branches out of their flesh and grow sap to make attacks? 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited June 2017
    Shamelessly grabbing from Achaea's Cooking skillset wiki:

Would be nice to have these under 'platter' as alternate nouns

a plate of cooked food
    a dish of cooked food
    a bowl of cooked food
    a cup of cooked food (might not work since we have teacups)
    a slice/portion of ...

An optional option of Third person eaten messaging would be great too!

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
    Keep it flavoured as the race, enable people to gain other racial instead of tree.

Or glue branches to a lobo, idk. I mean, it's not like the specs are worth using still, right?
  • edited June 2017
    Shaddus said:
    Tarkenton said:
    So what you're saying is that any race should be able to grow branches out of their flesh and grow sap to make attacks? 
    It should remain a tree for looks and RP-purposes but with differences. As it is now every chemwood is -exactly- the same as any other. It's like the entire chemforest is a clone army. All I want are the racial skills of other races, not their looks. What would happen is that you'd get a smaller chemwood who is surprisingly good at regenerating their vitals (=lobo) or another who is bigger, seems to grow one huge eye and is exceptionally good at looking through illusions (=krokani).

In no way did I mean for a chemwood to no longer be a tree. It's just rather frustrating being locked into an entire race like this. I understand the design reason, but in my opinion it should suffice to lock into the appearance of a tree and not into the racial skills.
  • Aesyra said:
    Shaddus said:
    Tarkenton said:
    As it is now every chemwood is -exactly- the same as any other. It's like the entire chemforest is a clone army. 
    Huh?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne

Tarkenton said:
    Keep it flavoured as the race, enable people to gain other racial instead of tree.

Or glue branches to a lobo, idk. I mean, it's not like the specs are worth using still, right?
    The demi and demi+ of wildewood/wyrdenwood is worth using. But they're 100% geared for PK, so ymmv.

I personally don't see a problem with "she is a wyrdenwood that resembles a <whatever>" and having the whatever's racial perks. But I highly anticipate any kind of movement towards that to be Vision'd.

• Versalean said:
    Aesyra said:
    Shaddus said:
    Tarkenton said:
    As it is now every chemwood is -exactly- the same as any other. It's like the entire chemforest is a clone army. 
    Huh?
    Badly phrased perhaps. I meant to say that everyone with those (guild) skills is stuck on the very same racial perks. You get absolutely no variation.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Aesyra said:
    Versalean said:
    Aesyra said:
    Shaddus said:
    Tarkenton said:
    Huh?
    Badly phrased perhaps. I meant to say that everyone with those (guild) skills is stuck on the very same racial perks. You get absolutely no variation.
    I thought the wonderpipe was the artifact to allow "variation" like this?
  • Xenthos said:
    I have doubts that that works on a wyrden/wildewood, since nothing else concerning races works for them.

In either case I don't want a secondary race at all. I just think it's unnecessary to lock into a race like this. I understand that a wyrden/wildewood needs to be a tree from an RP-POV - and I'm not arguing this because I actually love being a tree - but why do racial perks have to be locked in as well? Why can't those with wyrden/wildewood skills 'switch race' in such a way that their apperance remains the same but the racial perks change? Why does an artifact like the cameo have to be rendered entirely useless just because the appearance of a tree is necessary?
    Aesyra said:
    Xenthos said:
    I have doubts that that works on a wyrden/wildewood, since nothing else concerning races works for them.

In either case I don't want a secondary race at all. I just think it's unnecessary to lock into a race like this. I understand that a wyrden/wildewood needs to be a tree from an RP-POV - and I'm not arguing this because I actually love being a tree - but why do racial perks have to be locked in as well? Why can't those with wyrden/wildewood skills 'switch race' in such a way that their apperance remains the same but the racial perks change? Why does an artifact like the cameo have to be rendered entirely useless just because the appearance of a tree is necessary?
    I guess I am confused / not understanding.  It sounds to me like a secondary race is exactly what you want; you want to be a tree with the racial characteristics of a different race, no?  That is how the whole secondary thing works.

I was trying to come up with alternatives, such as having the cameo provide second-race perk selections if you are a *wood so it is not disabled entirely, but that would end up making the cameo stronger for those races than any others and could be disliked, too.

I just have a lot of difficulty wrapping my head around "I want to be a tree but with no treelike perks/effects, and with wings instead because I picked Faeling".  I think a better option needs to be discussed to make the cameo useful, because I also don't see that happening from the Admin standpoint.  Do you have any other ideas?
    edited June 2017
    Um, no, she doesn't want a secondary race. She wants -wood chosen as her primary skillset while being a different race than -wood. Just like an Aquachemancer can be a loboshigaru, so can a wildewood be a human. But for RP purposes, keep the wildewood in place (in name only), to reconcile the skillset having the individual growing flowers and vines and bark and sap all over the place.

I think it's an interesting concept.

edited June 2017
    Maligorn said:
    Um, no, she doesn't want a secondary race. She wants -wood chosen as her primary skillset while being a different race than -wood. Just like an Aquachemancer can be a loboshigaru, so can a wildewood be a human. But for RP purposes, keep the wildewood in place (in name only), to reconcile the skillset having the individual growing flowers and vines and bark and sap all over the place.

I think it's an interesting concept.
    I don't know about Wildewoods, but Wyrdenwoods have skill messages including hollows, branches, etc.  A lot of that would have to be rewritten for them if they became "humans with flowers and vines and sap".  Having branches, hollow, and bark kind of is the definition of being a tree.

What happens with the elevation perspective?  Do they lose that when they switch?  I mean... like I said, I am having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around the concept of wanting to be a tree that is not a tree.

Regardless of that, though, I know it does not fit the RP of what the *woods are from their alternate reality, so alternative suggestions are still a good idea.
    edited June 2017
    They stay a tree, as in their race is still displayed as *wood (a la race hat). They exchange their racials for another race's racials, due to the cameo. Which is how a cameo works when you have a race hat. What's hard to understand about this?
    Tarkenton said:
    They stay a tree, as in their race is still displayed as *wood (a la race hat). They exchange their racials for another race's racials, due to the cameo. Which is how a cameo works when you have a race hat. What's hard to understand about this?
    Race hats are illusionary, they do not actually change your race (or racial perks).  And if you change your race from being a tree (giving up the tree perks), you are... not a tree.  The cameo literally changes your race, it doesn't just swap perks.  If you use your cameo to become an Elfen you are an Elfen.  Which is why you get the Elfen racial perks, no matter what racial hat you wear.  And that racial hat thing is directly from On High btw-- which is why I have never used my cameo or bought a faeling hat.

Maybe that's the disconnect, though?  I am looking at it from the standpoint of game lore / why things work the way they do, and you are looking at it from a straight mechanical stance instead?  I do have some difficulty in doing the latter because I have kind of steeped in Lusternia.  Dangers of sticking around actively so long, I guess. :p
    edited June 2017
    When I said -wood in name only, I meant also in acceptable description parameters. So, like, a tree that's shaped like a loboshigaru (and, incidentally, has loboshigaru racial perks).