Simple Ideas

Comments

• Please put in GTSTELLS, CGTSTELLS and GNTELLS.

Also, as a promotion idea: themed ikon packs. For 20% more, you can get an ikon pack with just ikons from a single group.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Can Jewellery please be interchangable with jewelry in ALL instances? It is in some cases, but in most only the American spelling is acceptable, and that makes my little Aussie spelling heart cry.

• I always find village feelings hard to understand. Nowhere in the help files is it explained what level "Sacrilegious" is, for example. Can the various government type village feelings levels be made available somewhere, such as in HELP GOVERNMENT? I'm always baffled when looking at POLITICS <VILLAGE> -- some feelings seem more negative than they actually are.

Aetherflare levels are uniform across nations, so I've worked that out (but it would be great if they were listed in a help file too, and ... looks like aetherflares do not have help files, weep). 
  • Lavinya said:
    Can Jewellery please be interchangable with jewelry in ALL instances? It is in some cases, but in most only the American spelling is acceptable, and that makes my little Aussie spelling heart cry.
    It will help if you tell us where it isn't interchangeable. Please BUG this information.
  • Could characters over Level 80 have a toggle to allow them to deep sleep so they can dream.

[BANNERCODE]
  • edited November 2012
    The affmessages system really needs alerts for when a cure is used to no effect due to lack of affliction. Such as something like "You have no afflictions that can be cured with: eatpennyroyal" or something.

It that were present, it would round out the final necessities for setting up a very simple system using a set of just five basic triggers. That's really the last big thing I can think of that's needed to make creating a very basic curing system a simple enough task that any novice can be shown how. They'd only need a trigger to harvest the affmessage for being added and add it to their curequeue, and to the same for the affmessage line of it being cured, then a line for an attempt to cure when they didn't need to, in order to remove anything that slips past so it doesn't spam them out, and finally one trigger to use firstaid curequeue whenever they're afflicted or regain a balance.

Sure it's nothing fancy, and won't hold up against a skilled assault, but it's something basic and effective that will work well enough to get novices started off just fine.
  • I think expecting novices to put together a healing system is asking a bit much. Real novices that I have worked with barely know how to use an alias, much less put together a trigger system. You'd be better off writing something yourself and handing it out than adding more ugly general lines. There are also a lot of failure messages for both no affliction and off-balance, so someone who is getting into fighting can already latch onto those.

If it meant expanding on those messages and making them more consistent, that would be a better idea, imo.
  • edited November 2012
    Well, the current affmessages system allows all incoming afflictions to be condensed to a single trigger with a wildcard. The same for affs cured. By making using a cure and having nothing to be cured apply as well, it would complete the messages needed to make full use of the FIRSTAID CUREQUEUE system provided, and condense curing down to 3 core triggers.

However, to do that, they'd also need to change the affmessage that says 'an unknown ailment' to just 'unknownailment' and make curequeue prompt 'firstaid' as the cure for it.

With that, and proper bug reporting when affmessages aren't properly provided, Lusternia is -very- close to putting a very simple to make system into the hands of new players. Four triggers, that's all it would take. Something that any player could easily teach a novice. It's not 'expecting too much'. It's something that can be set up within a half hour, even if you have to explain it to someone who has never used a mud client with wildcards before.
  • A somewhat related idea:

Two new groups in GMCP Char: Char.Afflictions and Char.Defences.

The server could send Char.Afflictions.Add { } and Char.Afflictions.Remove { }, and then something similar for defences. Since it seems like they already have a system for marking masked afflictions, you could also give us Char.Afflictions.List { } and not hurt anything.

I think they could do more with this, but I'm guessing there are probably concerns with doing it at the moment.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2012
    This would render illusions basically worthless as well as hidden afflictions. Also, there have been concerns raised in the past about bloating gmcp. If aff messages is giving you more information than it should (ie. Revealing hidden affs), bug it.
  • Yeah, I have to agree. I am totally against any form of GMCP affliction tracking.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    ITEMLIST FOOD for edible items please!
  • I want to blame the early morning, but yeah, point taken.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Can we have CLAN <clan shortcut> TELLS so we don't need to switch around clans?
  • Could KILL take weaknesses/resistances into account? For instance, I have three attacks available: Nature Curse, Nightkiss, and Nightgaze. Having them switch appropriately would be extremely useful (even though I rarely use them).
  • Heh heh, sorry, no: that's not a simple task by any means.
  • Aww :( Ah well, I can certainly live without it, heh.
  • Could it be possible to offer a draw in the arena, which your duel buddy could accept to end the match early? Sometimes I just want to go in the arena quick to test something, then get out just as fast.

OFFER DRAW
    $Person extends their hand in a gesture of goodwill, offering to call the match a draw. Do you agree to end this tedious affair?
    Type AGREE to draw the match. 

I don't like contributing to arena wins by heartstopping. /hates to lose
  • I think it would be extremely cool if the ability to FAMILY CONSIDER <child> INITIATE would send a message to the other spouse, who could then simply FAMILY CONSIDER <child> APPROVE without having to be in the presence of the baby. I've got babies with awkward hours trying to adopt babies with drastically different hours and it is just so....annoying. I don't think someone could very well be tricked into being adopted by people they don't like, as I find a lot of the time one parent is the one taking the prime role, anyway.
  • Astraea said:
    I think it would be extremely cool if the ability to FAMILY CONSIDER <child> INITIATE would send a message to the other spouse, who could then simply FAMILY CONSIDER <child> APPROVE without having to be in the presence of the baby. I've got babies with awkward hours trying to adopt babies with drastically different hours and it is just so....annoying. I don't think someone could very well be tricked into being adopted by people they don't like, as I find a lot of the time one parent is the one taking the prime role, anyway.
    My thought on that is - If the child never sees one of the spouses, why invite them into the family? Part of the purpose is interaction and roleplay. If they can't be gotten into the same room for two seconds, why engage?
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah, I understand that, but my thing is - one parent they do see a lot, and it's that interaction that has them wanting to join, but it's just been so impossible for the other one to be around when the prospective child is, and I remember how frustrating it is - wanting to get adopted, but it feeling like it took so long. They aren't lacking in family interaction, just, it's proven impossible to get them around together, and the one time they were, big events were happening and they couldn't possibly do it then (Zombie infestation! Bizarro!Xenthos) and this all makes for a very frustrated house head.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Because they see the other spouse and all the rest of the family?
  • edited November 2012

Eventru said:
    Astraea said:
    I think it would be extremely cool if the ability to FAMILY CONSIDER <child> INITIATE would send a message to the other spouse, who could then simply FAMILY CONSIDER <child> APPROVE without having to be in the presence of the baby. I've got babies with awkward hours trying to adopt babies with drastically different hours and it is just so....annoying. I don't think someone could very well be tricked into being adopted by people they don't like, as I find a lot of the time one parent is the one taking the prime role, anyway.
    My thought on that is - If the child never sees one of the spouses, why invite them into the family? Part of the purpose is interaction and roleplay. If they can't be gotten into the same room for two seconds, why engage?
    Dunno... In some families one parent does take the lead role and children hardly interact with the other. Everyone plays the game for different reasons, and those who play for combat usually pair off, too! (And then they leave their spouse alone and needy, so they fill the void of attention with little people...)

It's not so much getting the couple in the same room for two seconds, but the couple and the child. The timezone monster can be cruel!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    It was a huge battle with the timezone monster and the "game spouse has extremely limited internet access" monster to adopt Phoebus' most recent child, and I was super worried the entire time that the kid was going to get tired of waiting and wander off during the whole process. It finally eventually worked out and I was so relieved, but I really wish things were easier for people in situations like mine. I've really all but given up on trying to adopt more kids because it's too frustrating, and that breaks my heart.

It's not like the spouse in these situations is totally inactive. They still have to be playing the game to get things approved, and it is in no way unfair to anyone. It would just make life much easier for people who, for whatever reason, don't have schedules that are likely to line up any time soon.
  • A way to see how hurt a denizen is. It could be a new discernment skill, extend assess, show on probe...
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It sure would not hurt anything, especially if it gave general messages.

Example:
    100-66% health, "healthy".
    66-33% health, "wounded"
    33-0.01% health, "near death".

They could definitely have better messages too, but there is no balance argument against this specific suggestion simply because warriors already have it for free with their weapon attacks.

It could even be an envoy idea for an ability in Discernment, if someone wants to nab it.
  • Allow organization books to have an editor set.
  • Give price policies the same organization as permissions, so that, eg, a guild shop can give its leaders discounts through elections without having to readjust every time.
  • I can not seem to find a thread for it. So since it's a simple idea for the forums, I will put it here...

Can we have a delete post option for our own posts please?