An Ancient Weapon - Honor of the Centaurs

Archaic Library.
Ancient, weathered tomes are stacked in piles, and fill bookshelves all along the walls here,
standing side by side with large, iron-bound chests, some open, others apparently locked and sealed.
The chests that stand open here are overflowing with archaic slabs of stone, inscribed with long-
forgotten languages. Carved wooden lecterns stand around the room, with dusty books splayed open
atop them, detailing the study of Natural Spirits, Totems, or simply the best exercises to increase
muscle efficiency. There are yet empty shelves about the room, awaiting the words of future members
of the Serenguard. Pushed against the wall, a large bookshelf stands ready to hold various
literature. Eurytus, Master of the Hunt trots slowly around the tomes here, looking thoughtful. A
sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. A carved oak lectern rises
from the ground, skeins of moonlight keeping a large arcanum in place. You may use the BOOKSHELF
commands here.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt stands near the bookshelf here, his hard grey eyes flitting across the
shelves - scanning for something specific, it is not quite clear.

Shifting your attention to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, you powerfully slam a fist against your own
chest in a tribal display of respect.

You step down off of a giant eagle with eyes that shimmer with gold.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt tilts his head and offers you a nod.

Shifting his attention to you, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt powerfully slams a fist against his own
chest in a tribal display of respect.

Kregarn slips from his eagle and approaches to a respectful distance. "You called,
Master Eurytus?" Sliding his hunting glaive into a frogge at his back he tilts his head curious as
he listens for a response.

With a flourish, you slip a simple glaive of wood and iron into a cavalier's frogge of the northern
forest.

Everiine arrives from the west.

Proudly standing at full attention, Everiine slams a fist against his chest in a fierce tribal
salute that reverberates throughout his body.

Gruffly, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Aye, you been asking me about that bardiche of yours.
You remember?" The centaur does not give time for that question to get the appropriate answer from
you. "Your comment from the Chief about old centaur got me thinkin'"

Shifting your attention to Everiine, you powerfully slam a fist against your own chest in a tribal
display of respect.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt takes note of Everiine's entrance, offering him the appropriate salute:
powerfully slaming his fist against his chest. "Centaur Brother, I am glad you can make it," he
spits out.

Offering a wry smile as he pats the bardiche over his shoulder, you say to Eurytus, Master of the
Hunt, "I do remember, I think about it often."

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "As am I, brother."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt smiles wryly at you.

Turning away and back to the bookcase, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says aloud for both of you to
hear. "I was telling the Quartermster, what he said about your idea of the bardice being old centaur.
 It got me thinkin'." A subtle click of his tongue rings through the library as he keeps looking for
something in particular.

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "It remindes me of the An Leabhar
Serenguard, though I did not recognize the words themselvew."

Though you cannot see his face, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt nods in agreement with Everiine's words.
"Aye, it is something like---" The centaur breaks his line of thought as he clamours a loud "Aha!"
Quickly, his large hand dig into the bookcase to retrieve a massive, dust-coated tome. Drawing
himself to some open space - in fact, it is not open space, but rather a chest covered in papers
that Eurytus pushes away, shrugging at it as if noting that he will have to deal with it later -
gesturing for the two of you to come closer.

Everiine steps over piles of books and leans over the chest.

You have emoted: Kregarn steps closer, his eyes eager as he watches and listens to the centaur.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt drops the book onto the chest's lid, opening it and proceeds to flip
through its many pages. The text is in a strange language with strange images and figures; yellow in
age, the pages are sturdy enough, only tearing on occassion as the Master of the Hunt turns them
(which elicits a soft swear under the centaur's breath). Finally, he stops at a spread - a large
picture of a polearm spread across the two pages. "This," he says, pointing at the image. "This is
your polearm." And clear as day, the centaur is correct.

You open your mouth but say nothing.

Everiine blinks in disbelief, looking at the pages, then back to the bardiche.

Almost in shock as he looks from the pages to the centaur and back, you say, "Wait, this is... my
polearm is... I don't understand."

A few scattered leaves skitter across the floor on an errant draught.

Kregarn draws the weapon slowly, actually quite reverently, as he holds it out to
compare the two.

With a flourish, you draw Cuthach Gealai, the spirit bardiche from a cavalier's frogge of the
northern forest.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt's grey eyes flick up to recognize the two of you, only slightly grinning
at your disbelief.

You display Cuthach Gealai, the spirit bardiche for all in the room to see.

Everiine is speechless, trying to wrap his mind around this, this... miracle.

As Kregarn presents his weapon, you can tell that everything Eurytus, Master of the Hunt said was
true. The page's image is to the exact detail: the shaft's engravings of Jaguar, Wolverine, and
Eagle, the location of Stag and Bull. You can even see subtle lines upon the pictorial weapon,
indicating the lunar changes and suggestions of shimmer.

Nodding towards Everiine, you say to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, "What he said."

Gesturing back at the book, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "But its name is not its name.""

His eyes roaming the yellowed pages, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt continues, "The name of your weapon,
 what is it Kregarn?"

His face contorting in further confusion, you say to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, "The name, as I
understand it is, Cuthach Gealai?"

The sound of footsteps echoes through the halls, slowly fading away.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt pulling himself away from the book, he extends his hand toward Kregarn,
as if asking for the weapon. "Aye, aye. It sounds like 'An Leabhar' because they are both elfen, or
some variation of elfen, or some elfen phrase," the centaur gruffs. "All in all, it isn't old
centaur, but the weapon is centaur made."

Pulling himself away from the book, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt extends his hand toward Kregarn, as
if asking for the weapon. "Aye, aye. It sounds like 'An Leabhar' because they are both elfen, or
some variation of elfen, or some elfen phrase," the centaur gruffs. "All in all, it isn't old
centaur, but the weapon is centaur made."

Confused, Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother asks, "Then, what is its name?"

You have emoted: Kregarn reverently passes the weapon to the centaur, his head tilted slightly.
"What is the weapons name then? And where did the elfen dialect come from?"

You give Cuthach Gealai, the spirit bardiche to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt.

You say, "I mean, where did the name I thought it was named come from?"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt spins the bardiche along its shaft through his fingers, before
straightening his arm at eye-level - allowing the weapon to extend in a firm, continuous line. The
centaur peers down the weapon's length. "Aye, centaur made for sure." As your questions register in
his ears, Eurytus nods. "Right, yes. Its name."

Handing the bardiche back to Kregarn, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Obviously, you both know
the story of the old mausoleum?"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt gives Cuthach Gealai, the spirit bardiche to you.

Everiine nods his head emphatically.

With a wry smile, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Good, just makin' sure."

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "Aye, I know it well, I think."

You begin to wield Cuthach Gealai, the spirit bardiche in your hands.

You tell Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother, "Would I know?"

You tell Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother, "I'm so blown away by this memories
are melting together."

Everiine tells you, "It is part of the tale of Grutina Oakvine. Its destruction is what brought the
centaurs into the war."

You tell Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother, "Oh oh, yes I do remember. Though the
version I know was told from the point of view of Glomdoring."

As if he were reciting a story, or reading straight from a book - the book on the chest, Eurytus,
Master of the Hunt explains, "Well, the mausoleum not only housed the dead but their weapons, their
artifacts, their tokens. It is centaur custom that the fallen are buried in full regalia: weapons to
arm themselves in the afterlife, memories of loved ones, et cetera, et cetera."

Everiine blinks.

You blink.

The sound of footsteps echoes through the halls, slowly fading away.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "But when Grutina and her ilk leveled it, most of these items were
lost. We and the Seren hard a difficult time trying to recover these artifacts, and those that we
did find, we were worried that Grutina and those dark spirits would come and steal them away, to
force more salt into the wound."

With a jab of his finger, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt gestures at the bardiche in Kregarn's hand.
"The elfen, they charmed those artifacts we could find. They wove magics to hide them from sight,
and in consequence, they had to hide the true name of weapons, tomes, even bones," the centaur
explains, a certain gruffness in his voice. "Certainly, this is one of them."

Questioningly, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Where did you discover this, Quartermaster?"

Staeing at the bardiche, Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "I... I am amazed."

A rush of summer warmth passes through you as you smell grass and flowers and glimpse the limitless
blue of a perfectly blue, sunlit sky.

You say to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, "I discovered it in my hands, Master Eurytus. I used to bear
a rusty old bardiche I'd crafted ages ago. When I joined the First and Last Forest I pulled it off
of a rack with the intent to craft one more fitting to the Tribe. It so happened that I ended up in
combat against enemies of Serenwilde and sometime in the midst of fighting them off , my weapon had
changed. I held this and no longer my old bardiche."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

You say to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, "I can't say whether in the heat of it I dropped the old and
picked up the new or the weapon itself changed."

You say, "The combat was a blur."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Maybe you picked it up from the fallen?" With a wave of his hand,
the Master of the Hunt dismisses the conversation. "Either way, what matters is you have it now."

Holding out the weapon, you say to Eurytus, Master of the Hunt, "If this is a relic of the Centaurs,
I would return it to rightful owners gladly."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt shakes his head.

Everiine coughs softly.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Weapons choose owners. We teach that. If you shed blood with it,
it deserves to be held by you."

Musingly, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Perhaps it is even better, that it sees the action of
combat rather than lie stuffed up in a tomb."

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I am glad that it is you and not I
who wields such a weapon. I am not worthy of it."

Kregarn slowly withdraws the weapon as offered and looks it over with a
contemplative gaze. "Master Eurytus, this is more than an honor. I will not let the memory of this
weapon down..." He blinks once and then looks up, "Master, does the book tell whom it would have
belonged to? Is that even something one should ask about?"

You tell Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother, "I hardly feel worthy of it, myself,
Chief."

Everiine tells you, "Better it be in the hands of a fighter than the Storyteller."

You smile wryly at Everiine.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt frowns, looking back down to scan the book again. With a shake of his
head, he says, "It does - or at least, it would if the ink were not so faded." A grumble or swear
falls from the centaur's lips.

Popping his head up, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "But, it is possible to know its true name,
if you are interested?"

Everiine's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

You have emoted: Kregarn frowns thoughtfully, his eyes once more on the weapon in his hands. At
Eurytus' words, he looks up eagerly. "Of course!"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt nods his head emphatically.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt exclaims, "Good!"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says to Everiine, "Would you mind retrieving Tokota, Brother? We'll need
his dweomer."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "We'll also need an elfen..."

Everiine nods his head emphatically.

Everiine leaves to the west.

You tilt your head curiously at Eurytus, Master of the Hunt.

The light of Mother Moon drifts through the windows to cast long beams across the hallways.

In explanation, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "To reveal its true name, we need to break the
elfen enchantment. Unfortunately, I am not as versed in magic."

Comprehension flashes across your face.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt adds, "I'd hope that Tokota has some knowledge of these old things,
seeing as he is ancient."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt laughs gruffly.

You chuckle long and heartily.

The sound of the wind battering the windows echoes through the building.

You say, "Is there someone you had in mind?"

You say, "An elfen that is?"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt shrugs helplessly.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "I was hopin' you'd have an idea for someone."

Everiine arrives from the west.
Tokota Snowmane trots in from the west.

You say, "Oh boy."

Proudly standing at full attention, Everiine slams a fist against his chest in a fierce tribal
salute that reverberates throughout his body.

You say to Everiine, "Do you know of any elfen in the forest who might be able to break the
enchantment on the weapon?"

Tokota Snowmane trots in following Everiine, offering Eurytus a nod of his head. "What is it that
you need, Eurytus?" the old centaur questions, confusion evidenced on his face.

Everiine ponders the situation.

Tokota Snowmane says, "Enchantments?"

Shifting your attention to Tokota Snowmane, you powerfully slam a fist against your own chest in a
tribal display of respect.

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "I am not sure..."

Offering Tokota a similar nod, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Aye, enchantments. This here dwarf,
" Here, Eurytus thumbs at Kregarn, "He found one of the old relics. From when Grutina attacked."

Tokota Snowmane blinks.

Sadly, Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "Unfortunately, I cannot stay to
see the end of this endeavor."

Tokota Snowmane trots even closer, moving to be close to Kregarn and the bardiche. His deep brown
eyes glance up and down the weapon's shaft, his weathered lips pursed in thought. "Hrm," he finally
sounds.

Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I hope you receive your answer."

Everiine grows still and his lips begin to move silently.

Shifting your attention to Everiine, you powerfully slam a fist against your own chest in a tribal
display of respect.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says to Everiine, "That's all right, Brother. I am sure the
Quartermaster will fill you in."

Shifting his attention to Everiine, Eurytus, Master of the Hunt powerfully slams a fist against his
own chest in a tribal display of respect.

Everiine is enveloped in translucent fire for a moment and is gone, his soul safe until he returns
to Lusternia.

Tokota Snowmane says, "And I imagine you are trying to break the enchantment..." Tokota pauses for a
moment. "To reveal its true name, yes."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt nods his head emphatically.

Kregarn holds out the weapon to Tokota, allowing the weapon to be looked over
completely by the elder centaur. He watches and listens intently and without a sound.

Explaining, Tokota Snowmane says, "It does not need to be anyone in particular. Just someone of
elfen heritage."

You say to Tokota Snowmane, "They would know inherently how to do so?"

You tell Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane, "Would you... would you be willing
to help me with something?"

Tokota Snowmane's lips quip into a soft smile. "No," he explains, "They wouldn't. But I know how to
break them. We just need them here, see, because elfen spells are tied to them as a people.
Something about being so closely tied to nature or the spirits."

You say, "Because I have a friend of Elfen Heritage, the Arrey Arrane of the Spiritsingers."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt does not say a thing, but simply stands there looking between the two of
you, ears perked to listen.

Tokota Snowmane says, "She will be perfectly fine. It is relatively painless."

You tell Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane, "We have need of one of Elfen
heritage and thought you might be willing to stand here and watch?"

You tell Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane, "You won't have to do anything,
Tokota will do all the work. We just need you to be present to help break an enchantment."

Selenity tells you, "Sure."

You say, "Let me see if I can convince her to assist."

**TRAVEL TIME**

A beam of moonlight comes down from the sky and bathes you in light.

You say, "Or that..."

A wry smile spreads across your face.

You make a beckoning motion to no-one in particular.

Selenity begins to follow you.

**TRAVEL BACK**

Proudly standing at full attention, you slam a fist against your body in a fierce tribal salute that
reverberates throughout your body.

The two centaurs nod their heads at your arrival.

You say, "This is Selenity, who has offered to assist us."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Great."

Taking a hold of the skirt of her gown, Selenity dips into an elegant curtsey before Tokota Snowmane
and Eurytus, Master of the Hunt.

Tokota Snowmane says, "Wonderful." To Selenity, the ancient centaur explains, "As I just said, it
shouldn't be too difficult."

Showing that she understands, Selenity nods her head slowly.

To everyone present, Tokota Snowmane says, "Shall we get to it then?"

Selenity nods her head affirmatively.

Kregarn nods quickly, failing at concealing his eagerness.

Tokota Snowmane nods his head emphatically.

With gentle authority, Tokota Snowmane says, "Hold out the weapon..." The elder centaur extends his
arm - straight as an arrow. "Like this, so we can all envision it, see it."

Kregarn extends the weapon in the exact manner Tokota indicates. As if expertly
practiced the weapon does not waver in its position and the Dwarf's eyes are focused on the centaur
elder.

Gesturing at Selenity, Tokota Snowmane continues, "Now, Arrey Arrane, simply hold your hand above it.
 Like so." The Snowmane gestures: a semi-clenched fist with the index finger extended.

With a graceful extension of her arm, Selenity holds her hand above the weapon in a semi-clenched
fist, her index finger pointed outward.

Calling over Eurytus, Tokota Snowmane says, "Now Eurytus, take one of your arrows and just gently
prick the Arrey Arrane's finger. We only need a small drop to settle upon the bardiche."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt nods at Tokota, trotting close while withdrawing an arrow from the
quiver on his back. He gets close enough, hovering the arrow just above Selenity's finger. "Just a
tiny stab, miss. Shouldn't hurt at all," he says with a reassuring smile.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt presses the tip of his arrow against Selenity's fingertip, driving it
deep enough to force a small bead of blood to form.

The sound of voices can be heard drifting through the halls.

Selenity offers Eurytus a brief smile in response. Even though, she inhales and holds her breath as
he goes to draw the blood. She winces a little when he does.

Slowly, the bead gathers and pools, eventually dropping to alight upon the steady bardiche.

In a measured voiced, Tokota Snowmane says, "Gahenv-tisidihv, spirits break this spell so we shall
know the true nature of this weapon. Uhnela murutek-vahm."

A steady glow emanates the bardiche - golden and bright. In a sudden flash, the magic breaks into
wide arc and eventually disperses.

In your mind's eye, you envision a tall centaur warrior: his mane dark like the nighttime sky and
his eyes are the palest shade of green. With a gentle nod at you, he speaks in a warm, liquid voice:
"Adahov-nrukoh. That is her name." As soon as the vision settles upon you, it is gone again.

Using his tongue and the roof of his mouth, Tokota Snowmane makes a quiet clicking noise.

Tokota Snowmane says, "Well, that should have done it."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "... that was mildly impressive?"

You say, "Wait."

Selenity blinks a few times, curiously.

You say, "Adahov-nrukoh."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt tilts his head and listens intently to you.

Tokota Snowmane tilts his head and listens intently to you.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "Adahov-nrukoh?"

A few scattered leaves skitter across the floor on an errant draught.

You say, "I am told... Adahov-nrukoh."

Selenity Siar'luin looks at you, her ears wiggling slightly at the words spoken.

His eyes squinting, as if you could see him translating in his head, Tokota Snowmane says, "Fang of
the Spirits. In common, that is."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt gestures at the bardiche. "Well, that makes sense with all the images of
the Spirits, aye?"

Grinning at the translation, you say, "I am proud to bear this weapon in honor of the Centaur who
bore it long ago. Adahov-nrukoh is its name."

The corners of Eurytus, Master of the Hunt's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

Selenity smiles softly.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "I am sure whomever held it before is honoured too, Quartermaster."

Tokota Snowmane nods his head in full agreement.

Grinning wildly and offering a nod to each of the centaurs, you say, "Thank you both. This is an
honor that is beyond what I could have imagined."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt waves his hand dismissively.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "The honour is for the ancestors."

Tokota Snowmane says, "Both centaur and Serenguard, aye."

Proudly standing at full attention, you slam a fist against your body in a fierce tribal salute that
reverberates throughout your body.

Selenity Siar'luin holds her lyre to her lap, watching the two centaurs and you talk.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt pulls away and gathers the aged, dusty tome from the top of a nearby
chest. With a short trot, he shoves it into the nearby bookcase.

Tokota Snowmane says, "Eurytus... how do I get out of this massive place?"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

You say to Tokota Snowmane, "Would you like me to bring you back, Elder?"

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt says, "I am sure the Quartermaster can lead you out."

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt nods his head at you.

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane smiles and says, "Thank you for allowing me
to participate, you three."

Smiling, Tokota Snowmane says, "Thank you, Quartermaster."

Tokota Snowmane begins to follow you.

Both centaurs nod at Selenity.

Eurytus, Master of the Hunt exclaims, "Glad you could be here too! If you weren't here, we would
never know the name!"

The corners of Eurytus, Master of the Hunt's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

Tokota Snowmane nods his head emphatically.

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Aaaaaaaah, I wish I could have stayed for the whole thing! I was already on the phone in the car on the way to dinner with my in-laws and stayed as long as I could. Loved seeing how it ended!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.