Design Contest. Round 1. Celest chair.

MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
edited January 2015 in Last Chance Trading Post
Alright everyone. We'll be making an IG announcement soon for this on the public newsboard, but each and every contest will be going up on the forums as well to answer rule questions andwhatnot. 

First item to be designed. A Celestian chair. 

Background on these items? In the Aetherbasin there are 7 Districts. Celest, Hallifax, Serenwilde, Ackleberry, Glomdoring, Gaudiguch, and Magnagora. In the center of all these districts is the Grey Castle. Within the Grey castle lies 7 throne rooms. In the top tier of the Castle is the Meeting room where 7 Chairs will circle a round table. The Grey Castle represents Neutrality, and the Round Table represents equality. Each of these items will be up for contest design and I'll be counting on you guys to help us out in the goal.

However, D'cente never skimps, and always pays it's due. We're going to be doing a blind judging design. You will be able to send your designs to 1 person (announced on Estar) who will feed it to 3 judges. These judges will not know whose designs they are, and you are encouraged not to seek them out to tell them about it. If you do, your design may be disqualified. 

The prize for the winning design of the chair will be 1 million gold to be paid as soon as it's accepted into our cartel. Your name will be announced here, and you never have to worry about being cheated. 

Remember this is an artisan crafted chair that MUST be able to be submitted into a cartel, so make sure it's following Lusternia design guidelines. Ask your fellow tradesmiths on how to go about that if you're new to the scene. We're looking for chairs of epic proportions, something the Leader of your city can sit regally on and discuss business with all the other organizations. (We do not expect this to ever happen, however this is the dream/purpose behind this). Joke chairs will most likely be promptly dismissed, so consider your designs carefully.

Any of the designs submitted must NOT already exist in cartel. We want this to be a private design, never to be used again. 

You will submit your designs via letter to designated person in the following format.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:

What Design is for: (Example) Celest Chair

Design Info including the submitted info like comm's and everything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the contest is over, you'll need to work with us to help edit anything charites need changed and once it's through the money is yours.

Expect more contests to come. Chairs will be 1m, thrones will be 3m, and the table will be a whopping 5m. Each contest will run 12 days at a time (Estar to Estar). Do not expect them to run back to back. They will be as the money is garnered and as we have time for them. Eventually we may be considering Tapestries (Do those fit with a throne?) 

Leave questions and comments below, I'll answer as I can. 

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I take it this chair is supposed to represent the org as a whole, symbolic stuff on it?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited January 2015
    It is a representation of it's city, yes. How you interrpret  that, is on you.
  • To clarify, this is for a chair, not a throne? Like, Guild leaders would get chairs, but the CLs get the throne. (or however it's set up)
    edited January 2015
    Please remember when designing, that this design will exist forever. This is the chair that will represent your city at...council as it were. Make it as epic as you can. 
    Also, for those wondering about the non-obvious design.

The table design will be a depiction of the real current basin. In whatever format the person desires to create the table, that will be the theme. Keep it flat, of course. That's a month or two away, however. Getting the chair's done first.
  • I'll be taking over this thread for Munsia so any questions can be directed to me.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Is Jojobo supposed to be listed as one of the districts if Ackleberry is?

• Pectus said:
    Is Jojobo supposed to be listed as one of the districts if Ackleberry is?
    as of right now, no. Unless otherwise can be state, Jojobo I believe was located outside of the basin was it not? Thus at this time it has been excluded (though it may be added at a later date! There is just very little known about it, even less than Ackleberry!)
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Plus, we know Ackleberry existed as a legitimate Nature Commune, alongside Serenwilde and Gloriana, before the Taint Wars. Jojobo was either destroyed previously or was too far away and was never a part of the Holy Celestine Empire.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited January 2015
    Everiine said:
    Plus, we know Ackleberry existed as a legitimate Nature Commune, alongside Serenwilde and Gloriana, before the Taint Wars. Jojobo was either destroyed previously or was too far away and was never a part of the Holy Celestine Empire.
    This may be getting a bit far off-topic, but was it ever confirmed whether Jojobo got a Great Tree, or did it miss the boat on that when Sun went mad?

EDIT: Thank you Unca Shaddus.
    Sun went mad.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aerotan said:
    This may be getting a bit far off-topic, but was it ever confirmed whether Jojobo got a Great Tree, or did it miss the boat on that when Sun went mad?
    Hmm... someone else may know, but I don't recall, in the story of the Great Tree giving out seeds, whether it gave one to Jojobo or not. I'm inclined to say no. But, there were Sun Druids, we know that.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Wait, Sun druids and Liondancers..?
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I believe there is reference somewhere to Jojobo having some sort of Great Stone instead of a Great Tree. But I don't remember where I saw that. (Perhaps The Lion King? :P )

The aslaran druid who taught us Ecology and was likey Jojobian claimed to be a sun druid, but I'm 90% sure that was some sort of mix-up, and Jojobo druids are actually lion druids. Or dead. One of the two.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice

bit off topic: What, what, what? Sun druids? We know that there are Sun Druids? It just really strikes me as odd, given that all the Druids follow a Created spirit, not an awakened spirit. Makes more sense, at least in my perfect world, for there to be a coven centered around that spirit.

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

It was early in the game and possibly a mistake.
  • I want to pull this back on track and give a bit more insight about what our three judges will be looking for in designs! We'll be going off a points systems. There will be three categories in which points will be rewarded.

Theme (3 points possible) - does your design fit the theme of what we are asking for?
    Quality (7 points possible) - spelling and grammar. We can fix some minor mistakes and we do not mind that, but we do not want to spend days fixing error after error.
    Originality (10 points possible) - This is a coolness/epicenes/out of the box factor. We want to see what you can come up with that's never been seen before!

Please have your designs submitted to @Tremula, who will be fielding all designs!  You can begin submitting designs on Estar 403 and ends at the end of that year. NO DESIGNS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER ESTAR 404!! You will receive a message back that your design has been received within 2 days, if you do not hear back, please message Tremula to assure your entry.

In case it was not mentioned before, this will be a blind judging with a panel of 3 judges. The only person that will know who's design is who will be Tremula and she will not be on that panel of judges. Only after the points have been tallied will the design to the designer be reveled.

Any further questions, please post them here. Otherwise, please keep this on track!

• Back on-topic, then. Can we have the relevant bits needed for a chair, like the comm requirements, what's considered to be a 'base comm' for them, and what we'll need to include for a complete submission (like, we obviously don't need inventory, dropped, examined since chairs can't be picked up, but...)
  • edited January 2015
    Chairs take 20+ comms.

You will need to include the following:
    - Suggested Commodities
    - Appearance
    - Dropped
    - Examined

This is the template when requesting the design in game. Any further questions, please have a look at HELP TRADEMASTERS first, if that does not answer your question I will be more than willing to tackle it for you!

Item: Chair  Type: Chairs  Org: Public
    Commodities: wood 16 cloth 4
    Mortal Reviews: Allowed
    Space: 10%  Furniture Type: Normal Furnishings
    Outdoors: No  Container: No  Can Have Lock: No
    IMPORTANT: The main noun MUST use one of these: CHAIR
    Appearance:
    a finely wrought mahogany chair
    Dropped:
    A finely wrought mahogany chair stands here.
    Examined:
    Finely crafted with an immense eye for detail, this sturdy mahogany chair is truly a piece of art; the arms, back and legs having been completely covered in detailed carvings of twirls and spirals. A comfortable velvet pillow covers the seat of the chair, softening the harsh wood and making the chair pleasant to sit on.

Comments:

Aerotan said:
    Back on-topic, then. Can we have the relevant bits needed for a chair, like the comm requirements, what's considered to be a 'base comm' for them, and what we'll need to include for a complete submission (like, we obviously don't need inventory, dropped, examined since chairs can't be picked up, but...)
    A chair design is like any other design. You'll need an examined, a short/long description, a comm list and so on.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Base comms are - iron, silver, gold, platinum, steel, marble, leather, cloth, silk, wood, raw gems, all the cut gems (diamond, ruby etc), powerstones (I think I remembered them all, if I missed any someone please correct me)

Definitely not base comms - tints, corpses, herbs, food, rope, special comms such as honeycomb, essences, dreammotes, flowers etc

All designs must have a minimum of 75% base commodities (always round up to 8/10 over 7/10), EXCEPT for tattoos, cooking and stationery, which are each special, and artisan instruments which much be 50% wood or the comms needed is higher. (Tattoos can be only tints, cooking can be only food comms even if say a metal fork is mentioned and red-dyed frosting, stationery can be only tints)

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Public post concerning the contest is up.

Please direct any comments, questions, or concerns here or to one of us in game.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • I also wanted to mention, you CAN enter multiple designs for this contest! so if you have more than one idea and you can get them all fleshed out in time, go for it!

• The contest has officially begun! Good luck to everyone.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    All right, since it's halfway through and I've received no designs, I'd like to get a feel on where everyone is. Are you still working on your design? Are you too rushed by the one-year timespan? Please, let me know!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    No one enters a design contest before the last minute. But as for me, I have a limited pool of creative resources that I have to save for Beauty. :blush:
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I'm willing to guess it's just the time of year, yeah. There's -a lot- of other things going on now with Ascension and such, classes starting back up for others, and the like.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I would honestly be surprised if you got a lot of Celestian submissions for this (though I would expect more than none, and designs often do trickle in at the last minute as discussed above).  There are some various political things at work here as well.  While the contest isn't in any way designed (or intended to be from what I can tell) politically based, it is pretty firmly wedded to the d'Cente name (which is talked about at length).  It is also in a d'Cente manse, and so on and so forth.  Then add onto that that it is intended to be a "private design, never used again"... if someone's putting a lot of work into such a thing, they generally want to see it getting used (though there are those who are happy to sell their services, I think a bunch of those prefer a bit more surety of payment than in contest-form).

Note that the Beauty contest doesn't take away the designers' ability to use said designs.
  • I really got taken by Ascension events, school, Nihi things and events seem add up on my to-do list all the time these days. Otherwise I might have participated. I just think the timing would have been better if it was not done during Ascension.