Thinking of easing my way back into the shadows (SR5 PbP game)

TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
edited February 2015 in The Real World
Hoi chummers. A thoughtful family member gave me the gift that keeps on giving, the Shadowrun 5th edition core rule book. Since my normal meat group are all a bunch of bums, and I want to run a game, I figured I'd see if anyone here was interested in a play by post game.

Shadowrun, if you haven't heard of it, is a game that incorporates magic and future tech into a single game system. Elves, trolls, orks and dwarves abound in the smog choked world ran by megacorporations. You, as a shadowrunner, are a gun/sword/mage/hacker for hire that does dirty jobs for the corps that they can't officially be associated with.

I'm looking for four to six players, who can be active and post at least once every forty eight hours. I plan to use a post or die system, where unless I'm notified ahead of time, after seven days of not hearing from you, your character bites the dust and if someone is on the wait list for the game, they will be put in.

Character generation, setting, game style and the like will be discussed with the initial group. So, if you're interested, reply back.

Active Players/Characters:

• Enyalida: Technomancer
  • Shaddus: Ork/Troll Thug
  • Marcella: Dwarf Combat Mage
  • Lavinya:
  • Kalnid: Technomancerish
  • Riluna:

Waiting List:
  • Synkarin
  • Elanorwen
Dead:
  • Your name could also be here!

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Nice! I like Shadowrun somewhat, but I'm heavy into character types that aren't fully fleshed out in the new edition yet, sadly. I've been jonesing to play a cryptoweasel technomancer for a while.

Where are you planning to run the game, on these forums?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Here would be neat, giving folks who may be waiting the chance to see how the game is going. If course, so long as the admins wouldn't object to it.
    Well, I'm interested. I'm trying to work on writing consistensy, and I've played (an earlier edition) of Shadowrun before, and like the setting well. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Have fun with this!  I've already put together an Adept for my own gaming group, though I haven't completely fleshed out his backstory yet.  The rules have changed quite a bit from SR4; guns are now a lot more balanced, I feel.  Less powerful than they theoretically should be, perhaps, but more in line with other options mechanically.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'd be interested. I've tinkered with the game before, but not indepth.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Does this have anything to do with the SNES "Shadowrun" game?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Same universe, yes. Except I won't force you to be a blonde, male human dog shaman.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited February 2015
    Is Shadowrun what they play in The Gamers: Natural 1?

edited February 2015
    I think they played Cyperrun, which according to what I read is a send up to Shadowrun.
    Too bad the new equivalent of Unwired isn't out yet, too.
  • If only I had the patience to do play by post games. I've always wanted to play Shadowrun, but I have no experience with lurking on a forum and waiting for posts and hwatnot.
    edited February 2015
    Don't you lurk here anyways? :P
    Edit: forums op, eating my tongue sticking out smiley.

Would like a commitment from one or two more people of possible, otherwise I might just get it going with just Enya and Shaddsy.
  • nnnnnnngnghhhh.... I'd try itb ut I also only have a 4th e rulebook. Sorry.
    And I have my legit purchased pdf copy that I can loan out, and depend on one's honor to get rid of if they stop playing. Your move :D
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I don't have any rulebooks or anything, so all I've got in my head is a vague idea on what we're doing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If you promise to help me find a program such as Chummer (the 4e character creator, hell it might have 5e and I don't even know it) or alternatively hold my hand through creation, I'm down.
  • Eh, I've been out of the loop too long. Never done shadowrun before, don't know what system it uses, let's go.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    All I know about table top gaming, I learned from Community. I don't think I'm qualified, but I admit the whole idea of it is very intriguing to me!

edited February 2015
    Tentative dibs on 'mancer. We'd probably still want a decker I think, especially with all the fancy tricks for technomancers promised in the supplemental core book that's not out yet.

EDIT: Because from what I'm reading, Technomancers have a really hard time in this edition with the toughest choices of priority, and relatively weak matrix actions if you try and face any problem even moderately head on. It'd be good to have someone else to do that stuff, like protecting party gear.
    Woo, I think that's five people. I'll pm everyone relevant links tomorrow, when I'm not trying to soothe a screaming half year old. And then, we'll begin the epic journey of character creation.
  • At least I wouldn't be the only one new to this game.

For tabletops, I'm more used to World of Darkness stuff, but this could be fun. Count me in?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    WoD experience will be good, since the dice rolling mechanics are the same. Riluna makes six, anyone else that wishes to join will go on the waiting list.
    Kewl.
    So, I'd like to talk with everyone about what sort of character they feel like they'd wanna be and all that fun drek.  Obviously, this'll involve taking some glances through the rulebook and figuring out what appeals to you, so there's no rush on that.  I'm also interested in what sort of game you guys are actually interested in playing.  In Shadowrun, the scale tends to be Mirror Shades and Black Trenchcoat to Pink Mohawk.  On the one end, think oldschool James Bond esque stories.  Manipulation, infiltration, shooting someone only if you really have to.  On the other end, Pink Mohawk.  That's the Live Free or Die Hard end of the scale.  Or any Stallone/Schwarzenegger movie.  Forget stealthy happy times, let's blow things up/shoot people!

Personally, I enjoy a game that tends more towards the Trenchcoat end of the scale, though some occasional Pink Mohawkery thrown in can provide a lot of fun.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Huh, I missed this... oh well. Then again, I'm not familiar with Shadowrun at all, so I'd probably just end up slowing things down. Good luck peeps, and maybe if a spot opens I can try and join up.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    I'm probably going to play a decently wacky character, but Pink Mohawk grates on me quickly. I tend to like setup and alternate-routes-heists, and if the go to solution is 'burst in guns-a-firing' I'm going to be in for a bad time. 

I'm looking at Technomancer right now, because I really like the lore, and have a fun concept for one. That said, Technomancers were borky (and matrix rules were contradictory) last edition. This edtion seems to have cleaned up a lot of problems by simplifying the Matrix itself, but Technomancers - especially without the matrix/technomancer supplement, are pretty bare-bones looking. If I can cook up  decent character as a Technomancer, might go there. If not, perhaps a regular ol' decker along similar lines will work.

Though I want to go Matrix, I'm probably not going to want to be the party dronomancer, so a vehicles/drones/gadgets focused person is still totally open?
  • i'm thinkinggggg a corporate-born SINNER from Aztechnology, a combat mage who was being taught how to do allllll the corp's nasty, dirty work. Unfortunately in the lab/area where they were growing up, there was a big bad experiment that went wrong (Maybe with aztechnolgoy blood magic) and the supervisor needed a scapegoat and my character was the least expensive person there. However, the supervisor also thought it'd look more legit if I was on the run from justice because I 'knew I'd fucked it up on purpose to get away from Aztechnology', so he took me aside, told me, and told me to get the fuck out because if they caught me they would kill me.
     boom, shadowruns.

Mystic Adept Dwarf. Because if you're going to jump into a game, jump into every kind of magic at once (except for astral combat.)
  • Contemplating a human sinless decker with just enough resonance to not have none. Taste for beetles and VR over meatspace, dunno how I'd backstory it. Throw in longarms because why not. Somewhere between snow crash gargoyles and Saito.
    Resonance or essence? Resonance being the technomancer equivalent of the magic users magic stat, while essence is the "how much of you is still meat/human" stat.
  • Resonance. Does mean I won't be able to tank my essence with implants but hey