Viscanti royal family names?

edited February 2015 in Common Grounds
So, Winnae is one of my characters and I'm partway through chapter 2 of a Winnae the puissant novella / novel I'm working on.  It's sort of a labor of love and writing exercise for me.  I'm going to submit it under Jelaludin for a couple reasons, such as that it would seem weird for Winnae to write about himself and I probably won't play the character again because keeping up the Winnae persona is too much effort.  It was really fun while it lasted though!

One thing I've started doing when I write is I will use character names such as X and Y, then provide a fuller name later.  I've been doing this a lot with Viscanti who I want to be from royal families.  Can anyone provide me with a list of those family names?

Edit: Also, is there a minimum length on bardic submissions? I was assuming I'd submit one chapter a month.

Comments

• Jelaludin said:

Edit: Also, is there a minimum length on bardic submissions? I was assuming I'd submit one chapter a month.
    Bardics need to be at least 50 words (Yes, I learned this one month by submitting something that was under 50)
  • The best way to judge whether or not your submission is of a good bardic quality is if it can be considered a whole in and of itself. Do you need to have read all prior chapters to enjoy or understand this one? If so, it likely won't do as well as you'd like
  • Viscanti house name format:
    <letter>'<vowel-centered syllable><vowel-centered syllable>
    All vowels are common. Common syllable consonants are d, r, m, n, k, s. Less common are v, p, b, x, h, and t. Soft ch, sh, and th are mostly unused.
    Some arbitraries I've been tossing around are r'Pahi and l'Darik.

Viscanti doesn't have royalty because that is a vestige of the Broken Empire and leaders should be determined by worth. They do, however, have noble families, the historical ones being i'Xiia, d'Murani, n'Kylbar(more prominent), n'Rotri, d'Vanecu, n'Lochli, d'Lardick, and y'Bolgari(less prominent). I don't remember if Kalas, d'Cente or Feyranti are properly Viscanti, but they are(possibly retroactively) nobility.
  • edited February 2015
    Families are:

d'Murani: Merchant house

n'Kylbar: Political house

i'Xiia: Scientific house.

These three houses were (or in some cases are) the top 3 great houses following the Taint, with power split between them. Each of them had banner houses, also known as the 5 lesser houses.

n'Lochli: Scholary house. Banner (and only one) to i'Xiia. Scholary and Scientific mix for obvious reasons.

n'Rotri: Militant house. Banner to n'Kylbar. I assume n'Kylbar utilized them to in political war manuevers.

d'Vanecu: Faith house. Banner to n'Kylbar. Not too clear of relation here, but when you consider that n'Kylbar gained both an arm in military force and in the guiding faith, you can see how far they went in political control.

d'Lardick: Insanity and Torturer house (Not very clear on this). Banner to d'Murani. Assumed d'Murani supplied them with their needed tools.

y'Bolgari: Artistic house. Banner to d'Murani. Utilize marble given by d'Murani to create their sculptures.

As for the the other houses made by players, they are considered having appeared after the Coming of Estarra and rising to prominence, most specifically Feyranti which gained quite the success, having even opened up the blood mine estate.

Hope that helps.
  • Jelaludin said:

I probably won't play the character again because keeping up the Winnae persona is too much effort.  It was really fun while it lasted though!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Ayisdra said:

Jelaludin said:

Bardics need to be at least 50 words (Yes, I learned this one month by submitting something that was under 50)
    First chapter was 4,000 words so I think I'm good :D
    Yomoigu said:

The best way to judge whether or not your submission is of a good bardic quality is if it can be considered a whole in and of itself. Do you need to have read all prior chapters to enjoy or understand this one? If so, it likely won't do as well as you'd like

I think each one can probably be read alone, they're sort of snapshots from the character's life and so each one is a separate story.  If I keep it going on long enough I plan to have three climax chapters that draw it all together though.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Kalnid said:

Viscanti house name format:
    All vowels are common. Common syllable consonants are d, r, m, n, k, s. Less common are v, p, b, x, h, and t. Soft ch, sh, and th are mostly unused.

Viscanti doesn't have royalty because that is a vestige of the Broken Empire and leaders should be determined by worth. They do, however, have noble families, the historical ones being i'Xiia, d'Murani, n'Kylbar(more prominent), n'Rotri, d'Vanecu, n'Lochli, d'Lardick, and y'Bolgari(less prominent). I don't remember if Kalas, d'Cente or Feyranti are properly Viscanti, but they are(possibly retroactively) nobility.

Just as an addition - the first three families were known as Houses Major and I can't put my finger on the reference right now but the others were considered Lesser Houses I think or maybe Houses Minor. But Houses Major was definitely a thing, with the lesser houses (still nobility in their own right) serving as banner houses to the Houses Major. House Major was probably the equivalent of royalty.

• Those who are interested should visit the Bonehoard if and speak with the First and Foremost Warlord of Magnagora if they would like a heraldry lesson.  He must know what he's talking about, since he comes from such a nice family.
    </RANT>
  • edited March 2015
    Lavinya said:

Kalnid said:

Viscanti house name format:

Just as an addition - the first three families were known as Houses Major and I can't put my finger on the reference right now but the others were considered Lesser Houses I think or maybe Houses Minor. But Houses Major was definitely a thing, with the lesser houses (still nobility in their own right) serving as banner houses to the Houses Major. House Major was probably the equivalent of royalty.

But have to also remember that shifts in power were common in Mag politics back then (though naturally with years separation). Houses would rise and fall, it just so happens that after the tainting of Mag, the houses that rose to power were i'Xiia, n'Kylbar and d'Murani. Currently if we looked at Mag politics, we would see that d'Murani, n'Lochli and maybe d'Cente are the current power heads.
  • n'Kylbar is no wilting daisy either, @Arcanis.
    </RANT>
  • i'm sorry delphas but when is the last time n'Kylbar was relevant
  • /zsnap
  • the burns are real...
  • I think I'm going to go with n'Kylbar and submit it under Winnae since I don't see myself playing much either way, so if I do play a tiny bit it may as well be as Winnae...
  • Winnae said:

I think I'm going to go with n'Kylbar and submit it under Winnae since I don't see myself playing much either way, so if I do play a tiny bit it may as well be as Winnae...

Funnily enough, I recently wrote a story of a geomancer novice of the n'Kylbar house :P