Guild concerns, options, and the price of sticking with it.

edited March 2015 in Q&A
Hey.  This is my first real post on the forum and I'm wanting to ask some questions and do some real talk about the rationale behind continuing to play Lusternia.  I really want to but at the same time I'm not so sure I should. I've been playing for a bit more than a week but this isn't my first time around the block.  Way back in high school I played Achaea but generally had no idea what I was doing, some of the things I saw there turned me off, I'm not really interested in going back.  Lusternia came maybe in 2012 and I liked it a lot more, but I fell away from it.  Don't remember why, probably the promise of lots of money spent.  That was when the monthly subscription was just getting started and I don't think we had the 1000 lesson packages (great idea by the way!).

Anyway, now I'm back and I'm not sure I should stay back.  On one hand I love the ninjakari, I love the atmosphere, I love the style, I love the weapon, I even love the weird technique names.  But it seems barren most of the time I'm on.  I've only seen two people follow me in.  One stayed maybe a half hour and one told me upfront he probably wouldn't be coming back, voicing pretty much the same concerns I've been having. 

When I look around hte city in general I kind of feel like a 16 year old at the VFW hall.  Everyone's much older and more powerful than me, more than a few names I recognize from the last time I played Lusternia which doesn't give me much hope for my chances of securing any kind of notable position once I'm higher level.  I feel like I'm the young boy (the only young boy, which is the real trouble) in a very old boy's club, and there's few to no people around my level to interact with.  

What I'm getting at is that, while I really like Lusternia and would love to continue playing, the state of the game at least from my perspective seems pretty moribund.  Considering the kind of prices I can expect to pay to do well (I'm very interested in PvP) I'm not sure it's worth continuing.  I could play Carrion Fields, which is also very low population but is also free.  It's also permadeath so impermable aristocracies are never a problem.

I could switch guilds, maybe even cities, but I'm not sure where to go.  Warrior appeals to me but I've heard it's cost-intensive to get into with runes and such and like I said, the cost of staying in a game that often feels decrepit makes me very shy of moving forward.  That was part of the appeal of ninjakari originally, we really only need our primary to kill people and with the new payment options it wasn't hard to get to a point where I could start practicing combat (not that I've had a chance, since, you know, nobody's around).  Also it kind of seems like everyone in warrior goes pureblade and pokes people in the legs (heheh, ninjakari complaining about people going for the legs) and I haven't done enough research into how viable the other options are.  I'm an axe guy myself but I could be persuaded to do longswords.

I could switch games, but the only one I know anything about is Achaea and I don't want to go back to Achaea.

I guess what I'm looking for with this thread is some input from people who've been around for a long time.  Some real talk input about what I can realistically expect to get out of a game in the state lusternia's in versus the prices I'd be paying to stay in.  Along with suggestions about what to do with my guild situation.  I'd like to stay with Ninjakari but I'm not averse to switching guilds if I feel like I'm not going to get anywhere with them.  Nekotai seem cool but I've heard bad things (Speaking of said bad things, how did the crotamine change affect final sting?).  

If I do change guilds, I want to make sure I'm going into a lively one and on the grander scale I want to make sure it's worth my time and money to continue with Lusternia.  Geomancers and nihilists seem always jam-packed but I dunno if I actually want to join them.

tl;dr: Guild is mostly empty, I'm one of maybe two or three people I see around my level within my city, almost everyone I meet is demigod, it seems like everything worth doing is out of my league, I don't know if spending my time and money on trying to get to that league is worth it right now and I'm looking for input from people who are at that league and have a realistic idea of the state of the game and can talk about that with me while I consider my options.

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Bad things about Nekotai?  We're awesome!

Granted, we're fairly similar activity wise to the Ninja a lot of the time with some peaks especially on weekends.  You'll generally find me around this time of day, for instance (and sometimes when I can sneak on at work :D), while Lerad being I think in the Australian time zone can often be found in, well, normal Australian times?  Tau is around quite often as well, but not always responsive, and Athree is on some odd time zone that I don't understand, nor care to try.  But I see him a lot too.

Crotamine, for the moment, hasn't changed in regards to final sting.  When the report on final sting is reviewed/implemented, then we won't care about it.  Final sting has never really been a serious kill method, from what I understand from people, since in general you'd need to lock someone first, and if you're going to lock them, might as well damage them out and save the power.

Glomdoring itself is experiencing an uptick in activity, which is awesome.  In general, there's usually -someone- around to do things with if you like.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited March 2015
    Don't be daunted by demigod orgmates! Everyone generally still encourages you to become a demigod yourself instead of looking down at you for being a puny mortal. :) I can't speak for Nekotai combat, but @Lerad, @Tarkenton, @Athree, and @Tau would know how to help you best. Also, the Nekotai and the Shadowdancers do share a guild because of their covenant so that should help alleviate any solitude you feel. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited March 2015
    My issue with demigod orgmates isn't as much intimidation but the lack of people in my bracket to interact with.  The game's got a really sturdy base of old hands but I feel like 90% of the new people I see last a couple days and that's it.

And that's what makes me really wary of continuing to play.  Am I gonna put money and time into a game that's just gonna slowly dry up as old players disappear and nobody replaces them?
    New people in Glom off of the top of my head:  Braeden, Eirien, Salome, Ogg, Tylwyth, Daishian, Dexus...probably others I'm missing but eh.

I will say, the Ebonguard, from what I know, is fairly quiet at the moment.  The Blacktalon and Shadowdancers both are bustling.  Nekotai...again, fairly quiet as far as newer players go.  Harbingers, I have no idea.  I'm assuming the same, since I haven't seen any new ones when I've been on.

That being said, a quiet guild in a bustling org isn't a bad thing.  Means there's a power vacuum that you can fill, if you wish to do so.
  • Some of the problems you face are a problem of perception. For example, it certainly is possible for someone new to get into a leadership position - one of the things that is fundamentally different here as from Achaea (or other IREs) is that in most cases, the City/Commune is the main organisational entity you belong in, not your guild. Guild RP exists, but is subservient and umbrella'd under the larger org's RP. There most certainly are plenty of interaction opportunities as well as empty leadership positions to be filled. Don't be afraid or too focused on your guild. Go out to the City, and interact with them too.

New players going off is a fairly normal phenomenon. Like it or not, the MUD genre is exceedingly niche, and it is difficult for anyone to get into. There's not much help to be had, except for the older people to be as friendly as we can, so that those who would be put off by unfriendliness otherwise will stay - a large portion will leave, friendliness or not. Of course, IRE is actively working to improve newbie retention, and when they have the time, I'm sure they'll look at some of the suggestions some of the players have already been suggesting (newbie areas, intro etc) to make things better. I wouldn't recommend you to hold your breath for a sudden, quick change as to how newbies react to the game, though - as you yourself illustrated, 1/3 retention rate is probably the norm, and will probably stay the norm for a while yet.

The answer to that, on your end, is to hit above your weight. There's, again, no need to lock yourself in to interaction with your own "bracket". One thing to note is that older players are very happy to roleplay with new players. It is with newbies that they can pull out all their toys and 1337 emote skeelz and do fancy stuff, after all. Don't limit yourself to your guild, and don't limit yourself to newbies. It is a pity, indeed, to not have as many chances to roleplay having a friend on the same level as you, but that can't be helped, so go on ahead and roleplay with the older players.

• edited March 2015
    I'm certainly not expecting the game to become a powerhouse overnight, or even any time soon, or ever.  Achaea's got some impressive numbers but a lot of those numbers are pretty weird, maybe a small but high-quality playerbase is better.  Armageddon's been playing that game for a few billion years now.

Glomdoring's sounding pretty nice actually, I like the dark forest vibe and it seems pretty active (I also remember it being very dominant when I played last time a few years ago).  Ebonguard would probably be my choice on that, I'm not really into the nekotai much.

The question is, and this isn't a rhetorical question, this is me wondering becuase I've never done this, if I decided to go that route, would it be more painful to start a completely new character, go into it from scratch, or to reincarnate my current character's race and look into changing archetype and city.  He's level 64, trans in Ninjakari with a decent smattering of other skills.  Most of them can stay of course, he's put nothing into tattoos so that can change easy.  Up to like handspring in acrobatics and the college minimum in stealth.  On the one hand I save all my stuff and can use my stockpiled gold to re-equip, on the other I've got my other guy to fall back on.  Hell, I could resurrect my ancient urguard I got to like 45 on but he's axelord and also naked.  Then again going axelord to pureblade is going to be easier than going ninjakari to pureblade :T

I dunno.  I know people switch around quite a bit, I think Malarious has been just about everything, but I'm not familiar with the process of changing and I dunno how it'd go down and how painful my various options would be.

-----edit----

Yeah, unless there's a big reason to go another route, I'm probably going to break out my old guy and switch him over.  Seems like the most painless and if it works out my ninja is still good to go.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Switching is the most costly method, as you will lose an amount of your lessons and so forth when you change guilds. I would recommend at least rolling an alt to try out Glom and get a feel for it, so you're not left regretting the change, and if it's what you enjoy, go for it! If not, then no harm done and some money saved.

I will second the whole 'don't be daunted by the demigods' deal. There are a lot of demigods in Magnagora and some old hands, but also a lot of them tend to be younger. Your own guildmaster was extremely young taking the position. Your champion only holds the position out of necessity, because no one else has been able to step up and take it over. You may not have people of your age/ability around you all the time, but they do come through, and us older players will happily still rp with you. You can look to join a divine order and find other avenues of advancement and recognition not tied to your guild, there is always a struggle to keep active city ministers, you can join a family and have the feeling of belonging even if they are all older and stronger than you - and in all these places, people will actually want to help you out and see you get stronger too.

Ninjakara has been one of the quieter guilds for a while now, but it's actually been on the rise of late. If it's not what you were expecting or you'd rather something else, by all means do what will make you enjoy the game the most! But remember that population ebbs and flows across the guilds and orgs constantly. Glomdoring was all but empty all round until recently. Hallifax has times of emptiness, and then it bursts to overflowing. One week will see an influx of novices into Gaudiguch, another will see them all roll into Serenwilde. My point is, really, that moving guilds does not guarantee you will still find a large population. There are precious few guilds that are consistently large. Precious, precious few.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Don't be afraid to hit up random people at the Megalith for rp and general chatting.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Hey, I've chatted to you a lot, checked up on you, asked if you needed stuff....but you were always 'I'm fine.' So I didn't push. I'm always up for RP, I know lots about lore, and I'm not even a demigod. Give ninjas a chance?

• Oh yeah, you're cool.  And that's true, when we're both on at the same time you've always been around.  It feels, though, that my schedule and most of the guild's schedules don't match up well.  I'd say 90% of the time I've been on lately I've been the only member on.  That may be a temporary fluke though, I didn't feel that way for the first few days I was here for sure.

We'll see, I'm looking over what I can do.  I do love ninjas, they're pretty sicknasty.  Some of the illgathoru messages make me wince.  

I can always play a little of both, switch over to an alt when Mag is feeling empty and vice versa. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited March 2015
    Especially as a younger character, "alting" is the best choice.  Also, don't just try Glomdoring, try a couple of other organizations.  This will let you get the taste of multiple facets of Lusternia, and find where you are most comfortable.

Something to also consider is that even if your guild is sleepy, your organization is less so.  Make some time and socialize with the people outside of your guild, too.  That socialization is the primary appeal of the game to most people, the interaction with others to make it a more rich and enjoyable world. 

As well, I can assure you that new people are more than able to get into positions of leadership, but there is a caveat; as with anything else, it depends a great deal on personality.  Not everyone is "cut out" to be a good leader-- there are those who treat it as essentially a single-player game where they are entitled to anything and everything they want, without considering that there are other people out there they are working with / against at the same time for (generally) a common purpose.

Keep that in mind, try to work with people in your org more than against them, and you'll do just fine on that path too!  Just take your time and don't "rush" for it, you want a firm foundational grasp on your guild & org's roleplay before you launch yourself into a position where you're expected to know it all. :)
  • edited March 2015
    Yes, alting was a good choice, now I've two decently set up characters for when things in one place or another are dry.  Org RP isn't something I've tried much, been focusing on the guild.  And if I"m being honest, a little intimidating, but I can man up on that one, start making myself useful.  When the guild went into a silent period for a few days (And another dude with the same concerns left over them) I got worried I'd be spending lots of time and possibly lots of money on something barren.  I haven't really been around long enough to feel the ebbs and flows, the guild was very active when I first came on and it'll be active again.  And when it's not I have another dude.

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for the lore conversation Qistrel, good times.  
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2015
    The Demigod thing is more a matter of demigod being so easily obtained rather than people being old. Demigods at a very young age (pre 30 years) is exceedingly more and more common. 

That being said, age is just a matter of perspective really. I've played for 8ish years and think to myself I'm so old,but Xenthos and Astraea and others surpass me by 100 IG years still. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in level brackets and what not, they are very temporary in this game.

Keep in mind Lusternia has been around for over a decade, and has peaks and valleys just like any other game, but the probability of it "drying up" any time soon is slim to none. From what I know, Lusternia is actually one of the healthier IRE games (Achaea being the most obvious). I wouldn't let any fears of the game falling off disuade you. 

Guild activity will vary wildly from guild to guild. Ninjakari, to my knowledge, have been very inactive for a very long time (2+ RL years). Monk guilds are, historically, not all that active. I don't know why, maybe their lore isn't as solid as other guilds which is Lusternia's big draw. Glomdoring is no longer dominant and has fallen off considerably, but as Tarkenton said, it is kind of hitting its stride again and some of the guilds are very active. Ironically enough, I played SD all throughout Glom's most active period and it's more active now than it's ever been. 

Leadership has no age requirement. Especially if you pick a quieter guild and put a little work into it. A lot of our ministers are pretty young. A few players have been in their positions so long or identify with it to such a degree that the position is pretty synonymous with their character. Xenthos as the GM of EG, Eliron as the Maestro of the Harbs, even my character as Champion of the SDs. As long as you don't try to overthrow the few of those, you shouldn't have much issue finding a spot in the leadership to start making your mark. The biggest thing is to be helpful and be involved and existing leadership will help find a place for you.

Lusternia can definitely give the impression tha the game is ran by the old folks, which is true to an extent, but there it's a big game and there is plenty of space for new players to get involved. Just have to dive in and experience it! 

And, honestly, if you can provide a good enough reason why your character should overthrow those old school characters, I say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is some awkwardness in the guild. Maybe getting kicked out, if you run your campaign poorly. On the other hand, you may win. Just remember, heavy is the head that wears the crown.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I've been guildless for most of my time in Lusternia. Org-level RP is a real possibility for folks in small guilds or no guilds at all!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Tarkenton said:

And, honestly, if you can provide a good enough reason why your character should overthrow those old school characters, I say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is some awkwardness in the guild. Maybe getting kicked out, if you run your campaign poorly. On the other hand, you may win. Just remember, heavy is the head that wears the crown.

...I've got my eye on you.
    I was going to take SD GC before I left Glom the first time around. Then you showed up, and I figured it wasn't worth the campaign effort. But I'm all for new blood getting involved and holding office if they're even vaguely competent.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Let me just say that by virtue of being shamelessly going around and poking at people for RP, you actually help improve the perception of the guild, which in the long run, helps entice and retain new players!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

edited March 2015
    I'm all for new blood! I think a nice mix of new and old is the best way to go. My advice was just not to start your political career by going after the leaders most cemented in their positions. You're unlikely to win, and it could come across as a power grab to try and depose someone that is likely perceived as more than capable in the role. 

Elections and guild dynamics are one of the interesting facets of Lusternia. Each guild has their own culture in how they handle elections. Some, like the SDs and even Glom at large, haven't had a dramatic or surprising election in 150 IG years (though we've had some dramatic post election meltdowns). In the SDs it's always handled behind closed doors and announced who the winner is going to be beforehand. When individuals try to start drama over elections, like when Elanorwen tried to make a run for VA, they get shamed pretty hard. Some, like we've seen in Gaudi or Mag, are full of politics and shady dealings which is perfectly enjoyable for them. Each has their pros and cons. New people can get frustrated trying to find their way into an established hierarchy and political system like what Glom has, but the other hand, Glom is less prone to org wide meltdowns over elections that we've seen elsewhere. 

I'd be lying if I said Astraea and I didn't take a liberal hand in how we rewrote the culture of the SDs, and some of that was admittedly secure our positions as characters, but it's all been player driven which is what I enjoy about Lusty. Players can have tangible, lasting effects on a guild's culture, and it doesn't happen over night! We've seen some great new players come in and do great things, like Zouviquil and the SDs. She was a soft spoken, reserved new player who ended up being one of the most hard line Queens ever. Synkarin started his career out as the youngest VA ever and I think he still holds that title. So I guess I say all of that to say don't be discouraged regarding the immediate availability of leadership roles or activity. Go with the flow and if you are committed and talented enough to make an impact, you absolutely can. 
  • The test in Lusternia is by far more what can you do and how you do it than how old you are. Younger people will raise a slight eyebrow when applying to many positions, but that's only because Lusternian politics are complex to the point where as a player you're really not going to pick them right up. Even with that, if you honors various leaders you're likely to find several who are fairly young. What you can't tell from looking at various guild and org leaders are how many are holding a position because of the lack of a suitable candidate.

If you're considering politics then an understaffed guild or org is likely to have more opportunities.

The main thing I wanted to convey is this: Be really careful about chasing the population. Play what you enjoy, do what you like to do. But org-jumping looking for more people is just as likely to result in some other organization's population soaring. You can leave one org and next month its population triples. Also for RP, consider joining an active order. There are several newly returned deities who seem to be lavishing attention on players. This is me echoing that depending on the guild overly for RP may be more disapointing than not.
  • Yes, that's what I realized when I decided to have an alt instead of just abandoning my main guy, leaving low-pop guilds and chasing the active areas isn't solving the problem as much as it is the problem.  Going savage on the hitting NPCs until they die aspects of the game probably didn't help either, I'm seeing a lot more going on now that I'm looking in the right place.

I'm not planning on unseating people any time soon, my concerns when I wrote the OP weren't as much "I'm not doing anything" as "If I stick with this and put my time and money in, will there be things to do when I'm ready to do them?"  It's clear though there's plenty to do even now when I'm not looking at the game through where'd-everybody-go-tinted glasses. 
  • Kharjak said:

Yes, that's what I realized when I decided to have an alt instead of just abandoning my main guy, leaving low-pop guilds and chasing the active areas isn't solving the problem as much as it is the problem.  Going savage on the hitting NPCs until they die aspects of the game probably didn't help either, I'm seeing a lot more going on now that I'm looking in the right place.

I'm not planning on unseating people any time soon, my concerns when I wrote the OP weren't as much "I'm not doing anything" as "If I stick with this and put my time and money in, will there be things to do when I'm ready to do them?"  It's clear though there's plenty to do even now when I'm not looking at the game through where'd-everybody-go-tinted glasses. 
    Some orgs seem to fluctuate by the season, or perhaps all do, but it is more noticeable to some. Both mag and Glom had some fairly recent politics which led to some population changes. Glom is recovering, mag's my simply be temporary. While we can tell you that generally there is the ability to move up in the political sphere. You're right in that at times you will encounter someone who isn't that active or even helpful who will fight tooth and nail and you'll also find that some are just good enough that people are generally happy with them staying in that position.

But perhaps why that is less important here than in Achaea is that there are really a lot of possible positions.

My suggestion on the thing to avoid. Unless people are pushing you to take an major office try to avoid it for a few months. The younger character who challenges for GM or CL raises all sorts of suspicions and people are more likely then to vote against you for your age.

Get your bearings, read the newsboards, read the Lusternia histories, ask questions. Then start offering to help people. If you're doing much of the job on a daily basis, people will respect that and be far more likely to support and encourage you. If you look at guilds they have undersec, protectors, secretary and security positions. Taking one or more of those shows your willingness to help, but also to some suggests you are willing to put in some effort before going for higher office.

You'll even find that orders tend to have more available positions. They do have more advancement ranks (assuming achaea only still has the seven).
  • edited April 2015
    Also there are positions besides the CL/GM/GA/GC that can be considered leadership of varying sorts.
    For instance, the Minister of Power is an important position generally requiring someone who is willing to push policies(either setting them themselves, or more likely, advocating them with the leadship council of the org and then pushing them) and Enforce them. I find it somewhat amusing that I currently outrank the MoP, who just joined my guild, though that may not last(unlike with another Demi I also outrank, though who knows...).
     Depending on  your tastes you might look at becoming a undersecratary/secretary(if you like helping newbies) or protector/security if you like fighting/defending your Org. While not exactly "leadership" they do give you a bit of power/responsibility. Or, if you like writing or drawing, or planning parties, perhaps Minister of Culture, or Librarian (or an aide if you don't think you can unseat the current minister, perhaps positioning yourself as their successor).
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• May I, sort of, butt in and ask what the situation in Gaudiguch is like?

I've been sitting around the last two days or so wondering if I should bother trying to play again.. and the most I've seen is maybe three other people in Gaudiguch online. In all of Lusternia a meagre 40+. I remember when there were 100+ regularely.

Is this normal these days? Does stuff even still go on, or is it more a single-player experience these days?

(sorry for hijack)
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Things very much still go on! I can't speak much to the current Gaudiguch situation, but I'm sure it's like everywhere else--if you look for player interactions, you'll find them. You may also be logging in at a time when there aren't a lot of other Gaudiguchians logged in, but it may just be bad timing.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • @Yacsee

Gaudiguch has been admittedly fairly dead for a bit. I'm generally on for about 20 minutes a few times a day unless somebody prods me, and even then I only see a few of the usuals and the occasional novice. I see most people around late afternoon PDT (GMT-7), admittedly. Fairly sure a good amount of the game is in a post-Ascension lull, which usually picks up around May and June. Not exactly the best thing, but it happens, and it generally tends to hit combatant-heavy cities/communes harder than non-combatant-heavy ones in my experience.

Everything goes in ebbs and flows in Lusternia. After Ascension, the game goes dead for a few months, then gets a huge resurgence that slowly ramps up to the next Ascension over about 8 months and the cycle repeats. As well, people (understandably) often hate playing on the 'losing' side, and Serelestifax has a higher population right now which attracts combatants, and the number difference attracts non-combatant RPers. This changes... pretty frequently, and Gaudi being a high-combatant-population city at the moment mixed with all those other factors just puts us in a population lull, which should really be lasting maybe another month or two at most.

Honestly, though, a lot of it is just timing. You seem to be around at ~2am PDT based on your newspost, which is a pretty dead time for Gaudiguch (fairly high American population), wheras Magnagora and Serenwilde (who have fairly high Australian/NZ/etc. populations IIRC) will have more people on about that time. There's actually fairly little that can be done about that, since short of a mass exodus, people do like playing where there's a lot of people in their own time zone and will generally flock there.

My best advice is twofold, depending on how you stick it out. If you stay in Gaudi, feel free to initiate stuff with people. Expecting people to start things with you generally leads to nothing getting done. If you're not sure about Gaudi because of time zones/population/whatever, nobody will blame you whatsoever and we generally don't enemy people for leaving, even to enemy orgs, unless they do some really stupid stuff when leaving (and we really don't enemy novices unless they attack us explicitly anyway), so do what's more fun for you in the long run. I recommend, before leaving if you decide to, talking to some people from orgs you're considering and trying to make some friends before making a final decision. You might find you consider Mag awesome and Seren a bunch of stuck up twig-fiddlers, or you might find that you love Seren but find Mag to be abhorrent taint huffers, or you might find that Hallifax has some really cool people who aren't totally stuck up in any way possible (yeah right).

It kind of sucks, and I'll be the first to admit it. If I'm around, feel free to hit me up for some RP or whatever (though I am admittedly scarce because of work and life right now). But in the long run, do what's fun for you.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited April 2015
    Yacsee said:

May I, sort of, butt in and ask what the situation in Gaudiguch is like?

I've been sitting around the last two days or so wondering if I should bother trying to play again.. and the most I've seen is maybe three other people in Gaudiguch online. In all of Lusternia a meagre 40+. I remember when there were 100+ regularely.

Is this normal these days? Does stuff even still go on, or is it more a single-player experience these days?

(sorry for hijack)

Don't worry about the hijack!

What I -will- say is that the Templars, your guild, are a bit slow right now. Altrea and Maekarn are probably the most active there. Both are pretty helpful, with Altrea being more so. You can also message me ingame as Subotai (GM of the Gaudiguch Bards, the Minstrels), because I have odd hours for an American, and I can help you in any way I can.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Thanks @Everiine, @Altrea, @Shaddus and @Silea!

The place seems a lot more alive now. :) Perhaps I was just unlucky with the easter weekend...
  • Yacsee said:

May I, sort of, butt in and ask what the situation in Gaudiguch is like?

(sorry for hijack)

I'm admittedly around less than I used to be, since, I'm logging in to get experience and logging out before my buffs burn out.

But Gaudi usually has a few people wandering about just bug ct. But if you see me around I'll usually stop what I'm doing if someone needs help

Just poke me!
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
    Well, holiday weekend.  Family time and the like.  Whatcha expect?  We're not all anti-social, family hating basement dwellers :D

That being said, Gaudi is a pretty fun place.  Good to stick with if you like the themes and the RP, especially since it's a lot deeper than it appears on the surface.