The best everything

First of all I want to congratulate you guys on what you have here as a game.  It seems to be really interesting and the most rp focused and weird (I mean that as a compliment) of all of IRE's games.  I am coming from achaea where imo rp is... lacking.  With that said, I still want combat and stuff like that so here is a list of newbie questions.

What are your top 3 for...

classes for bashing/influencing?

Races/statpacks/traits for bashing/influencing?

Classes for pvp?

Pvp races/statpacks/traits?

Classes for raiding?

Races/statpacks/traits for raiding?

classes/orgs/etc for fun?

organizations noted for roleplay?

Cities/communes?

Guilds?

Do you guys have orders?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Much of this is in flux.  After 10 years of one system we are moving to another, and for the most part (your mileage may vary) these changes are EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.  Sorry, but a lot of these answers could change any minute now.

What is best race/stat/clan/guild for Influencing? The one with the greatest Charisma (currently HELP RACES, but could change any minute now).

What is best race/stat/guild/clan for bashing? Unknown, but Guardian archetype seems to work perfectly for me.

What is best FOO for BAR? Like I said, it could change tomorrow.  Not each and every change is welcome, but the majority seem to be on the up-and-up.

Thanks for joining and happy computing!
    </RANT>
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's a long list stuff to answer, so I'll just give you a medium sized response to it all:

As with all IRE games, what you get from them is connected to what you put into them. Everyone has a preference for what works for them. Our orders come and go, but they're pretty active here and there. Our design system is pretty painless as opposed to other games, if you're into that, and there's always ways for new people to get into leadership positions and guide where they want their org to go.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited April 2015
    First and foremost, welcome to the madhouse! See my responses to your questions below.

Classes for bashing/influencing?
    • Assuming tri-trans and no artifacts? I'd venture to recommend Symphonist trill bards for influencing. Easily the most accessible race for high-CHA output, which is the cornerstone of influencing. As far as bashing goes, survivability and speed is the name of the game. Warriors conveniently excel at both, though a Night-spec'd Ebonguard aslaran warrior probably most easily reaches the heights of this balance. Monks, as well, manage this very well, with a lean towards Psychometabolism-spec'd monks for damage resistance.
    Races/statpacks/traits for bashing/influencing?
    • For bashing, are you looking to quickly get 100 or maintain overall speed? If the former, stick with Human. If the latter, stick with a race that has a balance (Aslaran)/equilibriu (Mugwump) bonus tied to your bashing attack. Influencing favours the high CHA races, so Faeling and Trill are popular, though don't discount your org specialized races when considering any of this.
    Classes for pvp?
    • Depends entirely on your play style. Combat in Lusternia very much revolves around group mechanics, but if solo viability is what you're looking for, there are some classes that shine better in this than others. Become a melder/bard for area/room effect control, while monks and warriors favour the direct method of killing and survivability. Guardians/wiccans lean towards the latter, as well, but typically pressure different statistics than either warriors or monks do.
    Pvp races/statpacks/traits?
    • Again, depends on your play style. Typically recommended to go with a speedier race, balanced around CON for survivability and the primary damaging statistic.
    Classes for raiding?
    • See above regarding combat.
    Races/statpacks/traits for raiding?
    • See above regarding combat races.
    Classes/orgs/etc for fun?
    • Depends entirely on what you consider 'fun'. Ideally, you find your desired mix of flavour, combat, and rp in any of our currently existing orgs.
    Organizations noted for roleplay?
    • All organizations have their pockets of roleplay, but some are certainly more apparent than others because of the number of people who favour a particular rp style. Hallifax's cultural focus has been noted, while Magnagora's religious (borderline militant) zeal has always been a favorite. All others have their specific concentrations you need to root out to particularly consider if you're looking for a particular experience.
    Cities/communes?
    • Again depends on what you yourself enjoy playing. Nature-based? City-based? 'Good'? 'Evil'? Needs more data.
    Guilds?
    • See above.
    Do you guys have orders?
    • Yes.
    Anything else I should know?
    • Too many things to easily summarize in this bulletpoint list without more input from yourself.

• I think it works better to start off with what types of characters you like to play. Did you play Achaea long enough to know which classes you did and did not play? Did you have a preference in Achaea for an org? How important is it to you that you be tanky? Do you like to play glass cannons? Do you like support roles? Does the type of org matter to you?

Because of the game design you can pick pretty much any class and still be a very good influencers (just some races won't be ideal choices). The choice order here is probably more like org > guild > race.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    1. Influencing: Trill symphonist with 25 cha followed by faeling Harbinger with 24 cha. I think the difference between the two is negligable. Bashing: Paladin Cavalier followed by Cantor and then either Moondancer or Celestine. Warriors dominate and divinus damage really dominates. 

2. Mugwump/Merian for caster classes or Aslaran for physical classes. Some guilds have specific spec races that excel like the two mentioned above. 

3. Groups fights: Geomancer, Pyromancer, Aeromancer. Melders dominate group fights and mages are much better at it than druids for groups. Solo fights: (difficult to say because of the overhaul but as it stands at this very moment) Druids, Celestines/Nihilists, Shadowdancers. 

4. Not really applicable here.

5. See the group fight guilds. Any guild can raid really.

Yes we have Orders. The rest of the questions are kind of personal perspective and you'll have to find out for yourself.
  • edited April 2015
    Thank you all.  @Steingrim To give a little bit more information about what I am looking for I will list the stuff that appealed to me from lusternia right off the bat in terms of descriptions then some stuff that appealed to me from achaea then I will share some of my idea behind character concept and what I am looking to play in terms of that.

Classes/Organizations that appeal to me from lusternia:

Cities: Celest and Hallfax both appeal to me.  Celest perhaps a bit more than Hallifax because it seems more actively associated with good.  I like the idea of playing a character that is associated with Good and Order, but moreso Good than Order.

Classes/Guilds:  Roughly in order, the Aquamancers, The Celestines, the Institute, the Tahtetso, the Aeromancers, the Paladins.  I guess looking at the list more magicky classes over more physical classes and more good over order.  I really liked the sound of the Tahtetso (fighting for good, but being spiritual) however just coming from a monk type class in Achaea I would like to potentially try something new.  

Goals revolving around city/guild.  Active enough to interact with org mates regardless of time.  Interested in combat but also rp.  I don't mind working toward being champion/guardian in a more rp focused guild/city as long as my org mates are willing to back me up during crunch time.  I would like to have interesting skills that are useful in a variety of scenarios.  I would prefer to be more of a primary combatant than a support character.  I don't mind being a glass cannon.  I like the idea of being useful and needed.  I would prefer something with higher survivability.  

Stuff I liked from achaea: Monks.  I liked them because they were good at bashing, had good survivability, and were useful in raiding.  That is a nice mix of skills that I would like to try to maintain.  However, I did not like the houses associated with monk rp.  Most people played them like a beat-em-up and that was it except maybe Cyrene who got more into the rp of a meditative sort of person.  I liked the Magi as well, but the magi guilds didn't seem very reflective or immersive though there were one or two people like that there.  It might have been interesting to seek them out and be interact with them if not for the rest of the player base.  I liked Cyrene probably best of all the cities.  The other cities that appealed to me were Targossas and Eleusis.  The problem I had with Targossas was that they had a strict in game definition of "good" that doesn't seem to parallel a real life definition of good in any way (ie it is more about the gods aurora and deucalion(?) than about the concept of good and they try to limit the way devotion is used by cyrenians because they don't belong to the church and won't let them explore other avenues of rp [for example drinking is considered "evil" for paladins which seems a bit over the top at least to me]).    I liked Eleusis because it seemed more pragmatic about what they desired from newcomers.  The guidelines were more broad and gave you wiggle room and weren't overly strict, however they were not very much into rp.  It seemed more to be about sitting at the city gates waiting for a raid to commence than any substative roleplay.  Cyrene had really great roleplay imo, however they were a bit too non-combative for me and didn't have many people interested in being involved in combat except for defense.  Also I realized all my interactions with other cities would necessarily be from a lower vantage point because I would be at a disadvantage due to the lack of willingness to back up words with actions.  So I guess I am looking for a good balance of cyrenian type roleplayers with eleusian type combatants (I don't like ashtani type combatants because they're too "lolraid" for me). 

Some ideas for the type of roleplay I would like to be involved in.  I will try to list characters from fiction that I would like to emulate.  Gandalf, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Moses, Merlin, Angel, Yojimbo, Kosh Nanarek.  In other words these are more thoughtful, contemplative, and reflective but good characters but I don't care what their skillset is so much as emulating that sort of personality.

Sorry I do not mean to be so critical and sound like a complainer so I will take some time to mention what I appreciate so much about listernia at least in my interactions so far.  1) people stay in character all the time even in channels save the newbie channel which is understandable and even in tells.  2) the responses on the forums are longer and more thoughtful and people seem to be less superficial here.  Maybe it is an older playerbase?  I don't know, but it seems like there is more opportunity for mature interaction here and I appreciate what you guys have here.   Thank you guys in advance for any advice you have and maybe you can point me further in the right direction for me.

@Viynain Also I would like to mention I am much more interested in group combat than in 1v1 especially since that seems more the main focus in Lusternia.  I guess I would just like to be getting kills and being useful.  Also is there server curing in Lusternia?  If not, what clients are popular and where can I learn about systems for those clients?  What classes are more newbie friendly? I guess for bashing/combat assume dual trans out of the gate and more over time.

@Celina why didn't you mention aquamancers in the melders that you listed?
  • I wanted to add that to a lesser extent Serenwilde appeals to me as well.  I guess of the guilds there it would be the moondancers for me.  I probably would not fit in magnagora.  I guess Gaudiguch sounds a bit too chaotic for me as well.
    edited April 2015
    Ah, young people.

Celest is as "good" as Magnagora is "evil". Sure, angel-users are all bright and shiny until they're judging you for your actions no matter what they are, and you find out that Celestines/Paladins can't "judge" each other no matter what they do. Also that they're incredibly racist against viscanti and illithoid no matter how much said person works their rump off.

There's a lot of grey areas in Lusternia, and you can really roleplay it any way you wish, within reason. The Paladins even had a rule for a long while saying that finks are bad, and gnomes are good, so pages/squires aren't allowed to kill gnomes in Newton.

Rambling aside, my point is this: no org here is truly good or evil. Each one will bend rules when it suits them or furthers their goals. Some are darker and comfortable with it, and some are dark and have a nice coat of pastel painted over them.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Asirnys said:

why didn't you mention aquamancers in the melders that you listed?

Her first melder list was of melders best suited for offense and terrain control in group fights. The Aquamancer meld is generally more defensive when it comes to effects.

The smaller list after that was for solo fights, which druids are somewhat better at due to sap and whatnot.
    Aquamancers are fine. Geos, pyros, and aeros are just better.
  • Have you heard the Good News about Cantors, my young friend?

They're one of the bard classes, and as Celina mentioned they're excellent bashers, all bards are decent influencers, and if you take tarot they have amazing survivability and utility. Just ask Shaddus how Cantor PvP works, he plays probably either first or second most dangerous Cantor I've ever seen.
    #smooth

If you're looking for an all around hunting and pvp setup with a little influencing thrown in, you can't go wrong with a bard. Minimal investment for pvp in groups, plenty of group buffs, and so on. As Aerotan so politely mentioned, Cantors in Celest are considered pretty powerful.

As a disclaimer, I didn't really play a dangerous Cantor. I did however play one when they were greatly underestimated, helped give rise to another Cantor who was both a griefing raider and full of himself, and generally helped the skillset get some recognition and much needed buffs.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Asirnys said:

Goals revolving around city/guild.  Active enough to interact with org mates regardless of time.  Interested in combat but also rp.  I don't mind working toward being champion/guardian in a more rp focused guild/city as long as my org mates are willing to back me up during crunch time.  I would like to have interesting skills that are useful in a variety of scenarios.  I would prefer to be more of a primary combatant than a support character.  I don't mind being a glass cannon.  I like the idea of being useful and needed.  I would prefer something with higher survivability.  
    First, welcome to Lusternia!

Second, to echo some of the comments above, I think your best bet would be to join a guardian or bard guild - so for Celest or Hallifax, that would be Celestines, Institute, Cantors, or Symphonium. Each has interesting skills, and I would definitely recommend taking up Tarot as your tertiary - you'll be super useful and loved for empresses. Of those choices, the guardian types probably have better survivability, but you'd be able to excel in any of those guilds.
    To echo what Kira said, monks here are absolutely nothing like monks in Achaea.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    To add my two sovereigns about Hallifax, the city has a lot of layers of art and science being two sides to the same coin, and if you can pass something off as art, chances are you can make it work in Halli. Celest seems to be more accommodating at times to the 'burn the heretics' crowd than one might think of what's more or less promoted as the bastion of shiny good goodness in the propaganda of the game's website. 

That said, one of the five supernals is, as Mrs. Startail pointed out, literally an embodiment of love in the communal/familial sense, and another is devoted to defending the helpless, so there really is still room for shiny good goodness. On the other hand, we have a planetarium made of light in Hallifax, and a disco ball.
  • edited April 2015
    Let's just say the role-play and organisations are more complex than just 'Celest good, Magnagora evil, Serenwilde good, Glomdoring evil, Hallifax boring, Gaudiguch fun' and if they weren't I wouldn't have been playing for so long. Play up the complexities, do some doublethought and have fun.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I agree with everything Kiradawea said, except I think Celestines have some of the best survivability in the game given the defensive and healing skills of Sacraments. Numen is arguably the best PvE skill.

I'll try to stay unbiased here as I explain my opinion on the difference between Celest and Hallifax in a combat context. Generally, the population of Celest is a lot larger than Hallifax, and correspondingly Celest has a lot more players interested in PvP. The current PvP atmosphere encourages alliances between cities, so a lot of conflict becomes a conglomerate of different organizations, but in individual events Hallifax tends to be under-represented. So, if you'd like to shine as one of the best in your class, Hallifax could be a good fit for you, but if you want to join a more established and active PvP city then Celest would have more to offer.

The cities also approach combat much differently philosophically. In Celest, prominent combatants are generally viewed as heroes, along with those who work hard to further the Light. In Hallifax, admiration tends to be for the best playwrights, authors, and scientific minds. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Hallifax has a caste system which puts the military in the lower echelons of their society, and where artists and scientists are at the highest. So comparatively, Celest has this more passionate, religious crusader approach to combat, and Hallifax would consider combat a logical necessity for the sustainment of their society. But Hallifax has interesting RP around their culture as artists/scientists, so if you're willing to invest into that then you'd find yourself in a nice little niche community.

What hasn't been said about Celest is that a lot of its culture stems from merian history (lots of achievements in ancient times and an affinity for water) and its roots in the Holy Celestine Empire. Celest is like an organization out to prove itself, to overcome mistakes of their predecessors, and trying to right things in the world (despite shortcomings).

If you're looking for RP inspiration, I would highly recommend taking the time to read the Lusternia histories. You can find them here - https://www.lusternia.com/histories-of-lusternia - and I would start at Cosmogenesis and read on down.
    I would go so far as to say each org has factions or groups of people who adhere to certain belief systems within their own org's belief system. Glomdoring's overarching philosophy is "Nothing Matters but Glomdoring," but within that you see groups that believe the measured success of the Org in real time (ability to defend, villages, bubbles, populations size, etc) is what defines 'Nothing Matters but Glomdoring,' while you have people like my character who are hyper religious and that 'Nothing Matters but Glomdoring,' refers to the tenets of Glomdorings spirits and divine and how strictly the people adhere to them define the success of the forest. It's a an interesting inter org dynamic each org has that is really interesting to uncover!
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    The caste system is very much unused nowadays. That said, no... you won't often see people hailing you on the streets of Hallifax if your main purpose is combat. There's a lot of things that are supposedly in the works in regards to changing the stance and the inequality between combatants/non-coms.

There's also the part that nobody will force you to just focus completely on combat. The Pavok family line, for instance, is usually known for its members being warriors first and artists/scientists second.

In the end, of course, it is up to you and what you feel fits your character best.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Elanorwen said:

There's also the part that nobody will force you to just focus completely on combat. The Pavok family line, for instance, is usually known for its members being warriors first and artists/scientists second.

Why not both at once? Combat as a form of art or combat as a science. Tactics and strategy as a field of study. The battlefield as a grand dance-floor.
  • Luce said:

Elanorwen said:

Why not both at once? Combat as a form of art or combat as a science. Tactics and strategy as a field of study. The battlefield as a grand dance-floor.
    This idea in general, and a quote from Game of Thrones, is going to be the cornerstone of a conversation about the castes.
    Luce said:

Elanorwen said:

I'm quite uncertain what your objection is. I'm just pointing out that Pavok tends to focus on combat first and arts/science second. That doesn't mean that we don't do both, we are just more invested in one than the other. Anyway... I feel we're going off on a bit of an off-topic tangent at this point.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Celestine after reading your preferences, newbie.
  • edited April 2015
    Kaimanahi said:

I agree with everything Kiradawea said, except I think Celestines have some of the best survivability in the game given the defensive and healing skills of Sacraments. Numen is arguably the best PvE skill.

I'll try to stay unbiased here as I explain my opinion on the difference between Celest and Hallifax in a combat context. Generally, the population of Celest is a lot larger than Hallifax, and correspondingly Celest has a lot more players interested in PvP. The current PvP atmosphere encourages alliances between cities, so a lot of conflict becomes a conglomerate of different organizations, but in individual events Hallifax tends to be under-represented. So, if you'd like to shine as one of the best in your class, Hallifax could be a good fit for you, but if you want to join a more established and active PvP city then Celest would have more to offer.

The cities also approach combat much differently philosophically. In Celest, prominent combatants are generally viewed as heroes, along with those who work hard to further the Light. In Hallifax, admiration tends to be for the best playwrights, authors, and scientific minds. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Hallifax has a caste system which puts the military in the lower echelons of their society, and where artists and scientists are at the highest. So comparatively, Celest has this more passionate, religious crusader approach to combat, and Hallifax would consider combat a logical necessity for the sustainment of their society. But Hallifax has interesting RP around their culture as artists/scientists, so if you're willing to invest into that then you'd find yourself in a nice little niche community.

What hasn't been said about Celest is that a lot of its culture stems from merian history (lots of achievements in ancient times and an affinity for water) and its roots in the Holy Celestine Empire. Celest is like an organization out to prove itself, to overcome mistakes of their predecessors, and trying to right things in the world (despite shortcomings).

If you're looking for RP inspiration, I would highly recommend taking the time to read the Lusternia histories. You can find them here - https://www.lusternia.com/histories-of-lusternia - and I would start at Cosmogenesis and read on down.

The reason I put Celestines as poor in general survivability is because Numen is an active skill that costs power. Unless you're hunting Astral, or other locations that generate power, then watching your power is going to be a concern. It becomes a lesser concern as you get more power privileges and such, but you can still feel it after a long hunt.

However, the main problem is that it takes a balance to put up, and it doesn't last very long (it was about half a minute when I used it. Don't know if that's been changed). So in order to maintain it, you'll have to "waste time" to put it up. It's probably the single best defensive skill in the game, but I still feel that it's poor for PvE, and awesome for PvP.

Regarding the caste system, Hallifax still has Scientists and Artists as the highest caste, however you can achieve full city rank without writing a single book or create a single painting. If you do create enough quality works however, you can have your name submitted and considered for entrance into the highest caste. This is highly difficult however, so there are very few in that position.

And a final minor addition to what Kelly said before I give full agreement to it, you can find a lot of lore about Celest in the library.
    Luce said:

Elanorwen said:

If so, they would be evaluated depending on the works they created. In other words, they would still have to produce something tangible. Instructions, teaching regiments, inspiring speeches. Things that can be submitted as books or plays at the stage. You don't have to write about temporal mechanics to be considered a contributor to Hallifaxian culture. In fact, I'll say that Hallifax could really do with more philosophy, music and warfare.

Or in other words, Hallifax could really use a Usagi Yojimbo. ;))
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Well I just wanted to say thank you all for your replies.  I'm going to try characters in different guilds in hallifax and celest and see which one sticks and where I fit best.  I guess for now in each city my interests are Celest: celestines then tahtetso.  Hallifax: institute then aeromancers
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Ps damage output via divinus is also really great for hunting, that's why it's not terrible IMO.
  •  

I’m going to raise points and comment on what you and others
    have said. This is likely to get a bit long, but it is completely up to you to
    assign weight to anything that follows here.

@Asirnys Cities:
    Celest and Hallfax both appeal to me.

I may get a few people upset here, but between the two you
    could take into account that Celest will help underwrite you buying the
    Lusternian equivalent of SVO. I believe Celest will get it for you for 80k once
    you’re CR3 (which isn’t hard to get since all orgs here give TFs for
    participating in events like domoths, defending, village revolts, flares,
    etc.).

I liked Cyrene probably
    best of all the cities.

Which org is most like Cyrene would be a huge debate.

Given what you’ve said, I would rule out Glom, Mag, and
    perhaps Gaudi.

One of my complaints about the tutorial is that Gaudi gets
    listed as the City of Chaos, rather than the City of Freedom. In some ways it
    takes the place here of Ashtan. But even that is a bit misleading. Ashtan’s
    history is based on occultists making demon pacts, and Infernals (yes they
    started in Ashtan). Gaudi is about chaos in the way that Burning man light is
    chaotic.

Hallifax is concerned with order more than good. They’re
    good in the sense that evil breaks rules. They do have a strong sense of
    writing if that appeals to you. But think more following the Law, no matter
    what the law is over being good.

Celest is the city of Light and is the most like
    Shallam/Targossas though probably with a bit of Cyrene tossed in. As in you can
    play in Celest and take up a philosophy that supports good without overly
    supporting the Light. This is somewhat true for all orgs, in that you can embrace
    one of the several philosophies of the organization over the main philosophy.

Take Celest, you have the Light with big ‘l’ for Celestines
    and Paladins, and Light with medium ‘l’ for cantors. For Tahtetso you have more
    of a Buddhist knight plus light philosophy of self-enlightenment. But for
    Aquamancers their philosophy is based largely or can be almost entirely on the
    Plane of Elemental Water. Then you have the philosophies of individual gods
    attached to an org. You could even toss in racial philosophies if you wanted to
    depart some from the org philosophy.

My main in achaea was an Ashuran monk and I was a Tahtetso
    monk in New Celest for years before leaving for Gaudi. In Celest Monks and
    Paladins are generally the most tanky followed by tanky cantors (usually slower
    eq brewmeister dwarves). Healing Celestines would be fairly close to Achaean
    Priests. But, Celestines can instead of healing pick tarot and get a numb
    skill. Magi wise Aquas with telekinesis would be the most tanky.

There are probably enough differences between Lusternian
    monks and Achaean monks. Lusternian monks don’t get Achaean telepathy, they
    give far more afflictions, nor do they have to stance. In some ways here monks
    are more like a blend of Achaean monks and knights.

You might also look into entry costs for PK and hunting for
    guilds.

It seemed more to be
    about sitting at the city gates waiting for a raid to commence than any
    substative roleplay.

City raiding here is very rare. It happens but in a
    timeframe of RL months. Celest maybe two months ago raided prime (and that was
    likely only due to a temporary suspension of defences for mag), prior to that
    Celest and allies raided Gaudi (many many months ago), and a few incursions
    into communes. Oddly enough communes get more prime raided than cities. Off
    plane raiding is far more common here.

So I guess I am
    looking for a good balance of cyrenian type roleplayers with eleusian type
    combatants (I don't like ashtani type combatants because they're too
    "lolraid" for me). 

Every org has lolraid players and every org things some
    other org has more of those. The players who don’t get those are those who
    never see the raiding from the other side.

Some ideas for the
    type of roleplay I would like to be involved in.

Those characters could exist in almost any org. I suppose
    what I and others are attempting to convey is that Lusternia is grey and not as
    black and white as it appears. Given your examples you’re leaning more towards
    teachers and mentors, with that in mind you just have to decide what it is you
    are bringing to the masses and what the response of the org you’re in would be.

If you’re in Serenwilde it could be a sort of Johnny
    Appleseed where you’re bringing nature to the world. In Hallfax, it could be
    playing a Lawbringer. In Glom, spreading the Wyrd to defend against the taint.
    In Gaudi it could be bringing Freedom (or Enlightenment, or booze)….

@Shaddus: Celest is
    as "good" as Magnagora is "evil".

You can even read a bit more into this then what he said. The
    design of Lusternia seems designed that each org believes they’re in the right
    and each has more than on example in their structure and history showing how
    their philosophy has led to some ‘evil’ act. Celest (of old) as the good city/empire
    wound up releasing the taint and attempting to oppress the other orgs. We could
    go through all the orgs in this way.

So you probably want to decide on the philosophy of the org,
    guild, and god you will follow (if you do) more than anything.

@Kiradawea . . . while
    Hallifax represents Science.

Honestly, this is why I have never felt comfortable in
    Hallifax. I am a science geek and Hallifax represents Science in the way that
    Creationism is science. It just has always seemed to me that Hallifax was
    designed by ‘artists’ defining science in some artsy way. Science is
    anti-authoritarian while Hallifax is authoritarian. I would say that
    Hallifaxians are Technology, but technology <> Science. /rant

@Asirnys

I would go back and reread Kiridawea’s post not that you’ve
    seen other options. Other then my quibble over Science, she nails quite a bit
    of the differences between Celest and Hallifax.

So, apart from the personal issues I have with Celest, I
    would recommend Celest. AFAIK Darvellan is the newest and is very active
    (meaning there is likely still good opportunities to advance in the order if
    that’s interesting to you). Terentia used to be pretty scarce unless you were
    high up, and it seems she either very inactive or taking a break. Carakhan
    appears kinda MIA, but you could ask Neos about that.

Steingrim said:

I liked Cyrene probably
    best of all the cities.

Which org is most like Cyrene would be a huge debate

Dunno. I used to be one of the first people in the original Cyrene, moving from Shallam and the paladins. Probably the third or fourth person to join the Runewardens. Pretty sure if someone looks a bit longer, they can find my posts on their boards in the single digits. Personal preference as far as RP is concerned? I've tried every org in Lusternia. I fell in love with Hallifax the most. Take of it what you will.