Does Hallifax have robots?

edited April 2015 in Common Grounds
You know, Golems, mechanical men, animated statues, etc?

Comments

• They might have Collossi, but only by dint of everyone having those.

I THINK they have the only non-living objects for mail carriers though, so grain of salt. Oh, and their planar mobs are all geometric gemstones, as is, I think, the Institute's champion denizen. But as far as actual free-thinking animated objects, the answer i[REDACTED]
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    You don't have clearance for that answer.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Alright, serious answer time:

I'm going to say that we don't, or at least not robots that are useful for manual labor. I cannot think of any canonical references to robots of any kind, and I figure if we did have them they'd make the servants obsolete. Since we still have our slaves for manual labor, that means we probably don't have robots to do it cheaply and without the risk of treason.

That said, there are some very classified things that I don't want to spoil that come kind of close, but they aren't really robots in any kind of traditional sense. Additionally, we probably have a reasonable basis for developing them based on tech that we do canonically have, if someone wanted to pursue that as a culture project.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Usa values living things too much, and is a shit engineer. Other Usa might be enticed into it as a project to see how to get something to emulate life, but he wouldn't think of it on his own.
  • So are you saying I can invent robots?
    Make sure you fill out the requisition forms correctly and submit them to the proper authorities in triplicate.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Asirnys said:

So are you saying I can invent robots?

Sort of. You could write a book about doing it and put it through the library system, or record a lecture about doing it on the stage. It's not strictly canonical at that point, but as long as you don't contradict things that are canonical most people will probably go along with it. Once you've done that, the admin may or may not bring it into the game in a fully canonical role. It's not unprecedented, but it doesn't happen to most things either.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited April 2015
    Really, I would postulate that the closest thing Hallifax has to robots are lucidians. No offense intended, @Saaga and @Nihmriel please don't cast me out of Shevat.

They're a logical, mechanical and pragmatic race that generally have no facial expression (instead communicating emotion through crystalline skin hue), have dubious ways of reproduction and tend to be quiet workers. They're quite loyal to Hallifax and follow the chain of command very rigidly, and tend to be stern and stoic. They even speak in a beep boop voice if you listen to Tacita and her voice recording when Xyl speaks.

EDIT: Naturally there are exceptions to the rule, and many lucidians are as emotional as trill (and conversely, there are some trill that are as brutal as lucidians) and there are plenty of lucidian artists out there. Especially in Shevat. I'm looking at you, Saaga, Nihmriel, Flutura, Lukun.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Psh. Lucidians are Vulcans: They actually have a huge range of strong emotions, as evidenced in their (really cute) emotional racial emotes. All of the logic and stoicism is just a coping mechanism to prevent those emotions from running amok.
  • There is actually a precedent for constructed automata in Lusternia. Magnagora was the modern pioneer with Sthai's Project Steamcat and later with Nymerya's custom beast. Of course, since most of this was inspired heavily by Nosfydra, it's clockwork and highmagic that drives them where Hallifax constructions would use logic crystals. On which note: Hallifaxian mail orbs appear to be mechanical in nature, although since they drop you a letter and skedaddle, it's kind of hard to get a good look. There's also the custom beast someone in Hallifax has, whose name I forget, which is powered by a void generator and is mostly CLUs. They wrote a couple of books on energy used in temporal movement and void radiation that Kalnid takes issue with, so I guess look for those if you want to know who.

Oh! There was also Project Drone, hallifaxian, which tried to plug a, I want to say AI, into aether modules for automated ship control.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Probably not the same beast you're thinking of Kalnid, but Prav's custom beast was a replicant, which is android/roboty. But other than the nifty classified twist Portius alluded to, not thinking of any other canon robots. Automated tech things, sure, if they count.
    If you wander around manse Rhapsodic, Pesukaru has a clockwork tae'dae wandering around.
  • The only set of automata canon to the basin that I can think of are in the Meliashmora of Imperial Secrets... And something in the Wayfaire, but that may or may not actually be a vernal god.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    There's also the crystal golem in Xyl's Lab.
  • Or, you know, the toy robots from Bottledowns?
  • They probably have an army of them in a secret lab. The Basin just doesn't know it yet.
  • Asirnys said:

Yes, you can. It will require that the admin agree with it, as only the admin can ultimately add something to the game, however it is entirely possible. If you create a work around building robots, and then contact the city council or a guild master about it, they will be able to bring your suggestion up with a patron. And if the patron agrees, they can add your idea to the game world in some shape or form. I've created a project for the admin, I've got it approved, and Isune has even told me she's working on it.

So yeah, you can invent robots.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited April 2015
    Mis

EDIT: Still, though, I think it would be really cool to see Hallifax do robots. Also giant laser beams (for reason).
  • Kiradawea said:

Asirnys said:

Yes, you can. It will require that the admin agree with it, as only the admin can ultimately add something to the game, however it is entirely possible. If you create a work around building robots, and then contact the city council or a guild master about it, they will be able to bring your suggestion up with a patron. And if the patron agrees, they can add your idea to the game world in some shape or form. I've created a project for the admin, I've got it approved, and Isune has even told me she's working on it.

So yeah, you can invent robots.
    If you're willing to do all the work and spend credits on it, you can also create them yourself as beasts/manse dwellers.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    They're not robots, but Magnagora does have a player who is a cyborg. And then there's the Elder God Thax, who is basically a steampunk Darth Vader.

• edited April 2015
    Kalnid said:

There is actually a precedent for constructed automata in Lusternia. Magnagora was the modern pioneer with Sthai's Project Steamcat and later with Nymerya's custom beast. Of course, since most of this was inspired heavily by Nosfydra, it's clockwork and highmagic that drives them where Hallifax constructions would use logic crystals. On which note: Hallifaxian mail orbs appear to be mechanical in nature, although since they drop you a letter and skedaddle, it's kind of hard to get a good look. There's also the custom beast someone in Hallifax has, whose name I forget, which is powered by a void generator and is mostly CLUs. They wrote a couple of books on energy used in temporal movement and void radiation that Kalnid takes issue with, so I guess look for those if you want to know who.

Oh! There was also Project Drone, hallifaxian, which tried to plug a, I want to say AI, into aether modules for automated ship control.

Awesome!  This is exactly what I was looking for!  I want to create a robot brothel with pleasure bots made to fulfill every desire.  The owner will be a cactus weed smoking (do you guys have that in lust?) tequila drinking badass who only wears suits.  Maybe we can have gang wars over territorial rights, etc.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    We definitely have weed. Smoking it makes GIANT SMILEY FACES appear.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    But weed-smoking is a Gaudiguch thing! :O

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Asirnys said:

Kalnid said:

There is actually a precedent for constructed automata in Lusternia. Magnagora was the modern pioneer with Sthai's Project Steamcat and later with Nymerya's custom beast. Of course, since most of this was inspired heavily by Nosfydra, it's clockwork and highmagic that drives them where Hallifax constructions would use logic crystals. On which note: Hallifaxian mail orbs appear to be mechanical in nature, although since they drop you a letter and skedaddle, it's kind of hard to get a good look. There's also the custom beast someone in Hallifax has, whose name I forget, which is powered by a void generator and is mostly CLUs. They wrote a couple of books on energy used in temporal movement and void radiation that Kalnid takes issue with, so I guess look for those if you want to know who.

Awesome!  This is exactly what I was looking for!  I want to create a robot brothel with pleasure bots made to fulfill every desire.  The owner will be a cactus weed smoking (do you guys have that in lust?) tequila drinking badass who only wears suits.  Maybe we can have gang wars over territorial rights, etc.
    Both smoking weed and drinking alcohol are illegal in Hallifax.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Qistrel said:

Then to Gaudiguch I must go!
  • He wants a high tech Palace of Pleasure
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Bring on the fembots.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Asirnys said:

Qistrel said:

Then to Gaudiguch I must go!
    I think they'd rather flesh and blood pleasure-things. They do have harlots in the palace of pleasure and all that.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Technically it's only illegal to be drunk in the city llimits.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Drun-K. In. PuB-Li-K.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.