Meeting the Nightmare

edited May 2015 in Event Scrolls
Since @Maligorn asked for the log, this is a meeting with Manteekan.  He is the absolute king of friendly/creepy. The introduction is made extra awkward because I had previously also just entered Drocilla's Fulcrux and wasn't sure who exactly was cross at me.

A cacophony of whispers echo from all about you, the myriad voices murmuring, "I do hope patience is not a lesson you were coming to learn, else you have failed that, child."

You say, "I considered that it might be rude to linger, if I was not necessarily welcome."

Looking down at himself, you say, "And the Chairman of Hallifax....not necessarily welcome in Your fulcrux. I did not think to presume."

The whispers continue, "Rudeness is subjective. But I do suppose it was rather... kind of you to consider that."

A bit of annoyance in their tone, the voices whisper, "I do wish to know who decides who is and is not welcome in My fulcrux, if it is not Me?"

With deference, you say, "Oh, certainly You, of course. But, as I did not know Your will, I though to impose as little as possible, if I was imposing."

A hazy, needle-like fingers runs over your jaw, riming it with a biting frost, as the voices continue, "If I did not want you there, you would know, child."

His suddenly wide eyes revealing alarm his expression otherwise conceals, you say, "Ah, You are most gracious, most patient. May I consider this an invitation to return?"

Annoyance turns to amusement as a single voice emerges from the group, a harsh whisper that speaks into your left ear, "Your visit intrigues Me. If you wish to consider that an invitation, then by all means."

You say, "I shall be present momentarily."

With a flourish of your arm, you bow deeply.

-Transit to Fulcrux-

A hazy figure begins to coalesce before the icy tomb as a harsh whisper escapes its unseen mouth, "Such speed, to have travelled from your floating city to here so quickly."

You say, "One does best not to keep an Elder God waiting, or so I understand." Pausing for a moment to smile self-deprecatingly, he continues, "Though, perhaps I do not occupy enough of Your attention to have even been waited for."

A chill runs down your spine as a cold grip squeezes your left shoulder and Manteekan whispers into your ear, "My attention is endless, child. Now, I suppose you had an inquiry of Me?"

Disdain filling every tone of His voice, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "You mortals are oh so inquisitive, after all."

His smile suddenly fading to give way to a determined, stern expression, you say, "Oh, indeed, Lord Manteekan. I am sure it does not surprise you to know that Hallifax commands a considerable intelligence service."

His expression blank, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "So those of your city have claimed."

Pausing for a moment to tug on the string of prayer beads he wears, you say, "In your prison, you called for Lady Jadice. The...wyrdlings did not send for Her, but none the less, here is Her Stirling Scribe."

You say, "I have crept up to your prison, when the watch relaxed. I know of the noose you still bear. Certainly, it can bring You no pleasure to bend the knee."

Squeezing your shoulder tightly, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "It is a shame your Mistress has not had the chance to welcome Me back. It would be most wonderful to start from where We left off."

In a bone-rattling whisper, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "Such great memories We have from that day."

Beginning to shiver in the cold, you say, "She graces us with Her presence when seems best to Her. I do not know if you still have a message for Her, or if You have devised some stratagem for Your escape..."

You say, "But I am her Scribe, duty bound to report every detail of Your return to Her. If You still have a message for Her, I will report it. If you seek Her assistance, no voice will whisper it to Her with greater conviction or urgency."

A sinister laughter escaping His throat as He speaks, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "Escape? I have no use for escape now. My power is beyond what it once was, thanks to this Wyrd. And My new form is far less... restrictive, even with a noose about My neck."

Tracing a single finger over the edges of the tomb, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "But, I do have a message for your Mistress. Three simple words that She will surely remember well - We have finished."

You say, "If the state of Your affairs please You, then I shall say no more about them." Pausing for a moment, fighting to shake off the growing cold, "And I shall carry Your message to Her."

Cupping your cheek with His icy hand, Manteekan, the Nightmare says, "Then I suppose I have sated your hunger for knowledge, child?"

His teeth chattering as he shivers, you say, "The mind of a scientist.... There are always more questions. But I am overstaying...." He gives a particularly violent shiver, "Overstaying what courtesy allows. Please let me know if I may be.... be of service in some manner.""

His expression hardening once again, you say, "She cared enough once that She could not call You guilty. If She thought so highly of You, perhaps there is more to see. I will deliver Your message, Lord Manteekan."

With a flourish of your arm, you bow deeply.

-Leaving Fulcrux-

A sharp pain cries out from upon your forehead as a pair of frozen lips places a gentle kiss upon it, leaving a layer of frost in their wake.

Comments

• Ooo, these are great! Post more of these!!
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Interesting how he's kind of getting all up in everybody's personal space. I'll admit that @Manteekan strikes me as a pretty harmonious blend of @Viravain and @Nocht, emulating the best of each (for now, anyway!).

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited April 2015
    Tark is interested (Manny is his kid after all) but having just changed orders *peer Vira*, I just don't see it fitting his character to jump ship again/so soon.

Edit: That, and let's be honest.  With the odd dynamic that Tark has with Vira, it's already plenty creepy.  Overt creepiness doesn't need to be added into the mix xD
  • It's a tempting bandwagon to jump on, that's for sure.
  • Tarkenton said:

Tark is interested (Manny is his kid after all) 

I JUST GOT THIS.

#late
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."