Veil

This discussion was created from comments split from: QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING.

Comments

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    D level griefing, I've seen worse.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shuyin said:
    D level griefing, I've seen done worse.
    FTFY ;)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I wish the people that tried to grief me just gave me free corpses and karma. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited June 2015
    That tends to happen when you taunt people under Avenger protection while you menace their quest mobs (dragging a seemingly hapless buddy into a combat zone after he was given a free 'get out of here before you get attacked' pass.).

EDIT: Also, what @Tridemon? You weren't there, don't make things worse.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I dunno, I kinda enjoyed the fighting. If by fighting you mean not actually fighting anyone and just stealing dolphins out from under Celest's noses. Ninja ninja.

Though, if I had been thinking right, I would have told Tanin not to go to the cave right after I rezzed Ladantine, and when Celest did show up, to actually use some stuff that would have worked.

Qistrel said:
    I dunno, I kinda enjoyed the fighting. If by fighting you mean not actually fighting anyone and just stealing dolphins out from under Celest's noses. Ninja ninja.

Though, if I had been thinking right, I would have told Tanin not to go to the cave right after I rezzed Ladantine, and when Celest did show up, to actually use some stuff that would have worked.
    Veil needs to drop under more conditions than... oh hey, you attacked a player. Just saying.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Nah, Veil is fine, you just need to get better at combating it

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Honestly, I'm not even that good at it. Unzerah got more dolphins than me, without having veil or even a gem for most of the battle. Heh.

Veil is an awful awful broken skill, always has been, still is. The only way you 'combat it' is by spamming teleport/flow/moonbeam or having someone sit in havens spamming seek with everyone triggering off their called location. 
    edited June 2015
    I think some of you are confused about the difference between veil and masquerade. Veil doesn't drop on attack, it lasts 5 minutes, and then can't be uaed for 5 minutes.

Yeah, it's not awful, broken and it never has been. 

The only thing veil shows is that people are too reliant on scrying and scenting

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:

The only thing veil shows is that people are too reliant on scrying and scenting
    What, in the Inner Sea? Much trolling ensues.

What does the Inner Sea have to do with Veil and whether it's broken or not?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Scrying and scenting are virtually useless in the Inner Sea- nearly all the room names are identical.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • This thread needs @Iasmos.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Tridemon said:
    Scrying and scenting are virtually useless in the Inner Sea- nearly all the room names are identical.

Then it wouldn't matter much if someone used Veil then, now would it? Seeing as the whole point of the skill is to stop the things you just said were 'virtually useless' anyway.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ever notice the small group of combatants on one side of IG alliances always complaining about seemingly every skill the other side has?

I'm just wondering. 
    Nope let's keep this about OP veils. Where's my pitchfork.

Ignore the new minstrels, illuminati, and pyromelds at the window.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    In their defense, the artifact that does the same thing in Imperian is like 2k credits.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    It also has no cooldown, lasts forever, costs no power, and isn't beatable by a demipower, only 2k credits.

PS I definitely have done worse. You don't know ultra grief until you wake up to all smobs dead, most allies' smobs dead, and enemy war shrines on your plans.
  • Shuyin said:
    Nope let's keep this about OP veils. Where's my pitchfork. Ignore the new minstrels, illuminati, and pyromelds at the window.
    @Shuyin ----E
  • lol Remember when Celest got all their nexus constructs destroyed in one weakening when it was only supposed to drop 1 per weakening?

or when Celest under Eventru raised war shrines on Prime Mag.

or when someoN(arsrim) made an alt and wormed his way into the GlomSeren alliance to spy on everything during the HG/XI event to give MagCelest an advantage.

This griefing is preschool.

.. And is pierced by all methods of tracking by anyone else with said item, in a game with tracking skills that report easy to echo messages on every movement the target makes. Good ol apples to oranges.

Hahaha, I can't believe you're seriously defending veil. Thats a markedly different song than when Seren allied mags used it back in the day. Too reliant on tracking, hahaha
  • Uhh, veil in lusternia is strong, and provides a huge benefit for certain conflict quests. That is exactly what it is designed for. It doesn't, however, guarantee success of the quest - the actual effort still has to be made to complete the quest. There are also abilities (few and far between, yes) that can pierce it, which makes it far from entirely shut-out.

Secondly, most quests can be shut down easily without needing to run after a veiled target. If I ever want to mess with someone's quest, the last thing I'd do is to run after them - any number of alternatives will guarantee a faster and more concrete result, and probably incite greater frustration from the target: killing quest mobs, taking quest items etc. 

So you can't scry a veiled target normally. Big deal - there are other ways to mess with his goals, and it's not even a perfect veil. It's an ability that serves a specific use: that is to block scrying, and its costs, limits and drawbacks tempers its powerful effects reasonably.

P.S. On a less related note, Cabalists in Aetolia have an ability that prevents even a hood-artifact user from scrying them, and it blanket affects everything. It has other limitations, but smart usage can compensate for that drawback, and if you do it properly, you can render yourself literally untrackable. Literally. For as long as you have the patience to jump the hoops, you can almost certainly ensure you are unfindable for an indefinite time. Stealth veil, on the other hand, not only has actual counter abilities, but also has a mechanical cooldown.

Enyalida said:
    .. And is pierced by all methods of tracking by anyone else with said item, in a game with tracking skills that report easy to echo messages on every movement the target makes. Good ol apples to oranges. Hahaha, I can't believe you're seriously defending veil. Thats a markedly different song than when Seren allied mags used it back in the day. Too reliant on tracking, hahaha

I'm interested in hearing about what our 'song' was when seren allies Mags used it back in the day. The only thing I remember complaining about was them using masquerade to make portals in enemy territory. 

Of course, this is all typical Enyodelling.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Celina said:
    Ever notice the small group of combatants on one side of IG alliances always complaining about seemingly every skill the other side has?

I'm just wondering. 
    nerf Choke.

oh wait...
  • Also, this is a quotes thread. You wanna bitch about veil, the tweets thread is over thataway
  • edited June 2015
    Veil is like one of the very few abilities in the Stealth skillset that actually has any use. Let's not make it completely worthless..

Synkarin said:

Dont forget spectacles now too.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Arcanis said:
    Veil is like one of the very few abilities in the Stealth skillset that actually has any use. Let's not make it completely worthless..

Synkarin said:

Dont forget spectacles now too.
    And demesne watch.
    Other people have ways to avoid specs and demesne watch as well, it's not unique to Veil

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.