The Cloudwalker Commission

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
You asked for it, @Horacle.  :P

This is some time after the indentured servant auction of Hallifax's third Refounding Festival in 403, in which Daraius was purchased for something like a cool half mil by one of Shantru Goldfeather's apprentices. Edited for perspective so you don't have to be me, but rather a recording crystal embedded in the ceiling.

Monsoma Cloudwalker commissions the Ambassador's service
4-5 Tzarin, 405 C.E.

Daraius dips his muzzle politely to Monsoma Cloudwalker as he enters.

A supple, regal lady even in a state of relaxation, Monsoma Cloudwalker is as every bit the dark, luxurious woman her name would suggest. Rich, dark feathers frame a long, pale face, stormy grey eyes and thin, crimson-painted lips, the last occasionally parting to reveal glistening white teeth and a soft pink tongue wetting her lips delicately. Great wings are posed artfully behind her, hanging over the back of the recliner upon which her elbows rest, one hand allowed to hang listlessly to her side while the other is held to her delicate collarbone, crossing the plunging neckline of her gown. Luxuriant sable-coloured silk has been woven together for her fur-trimmed gown, carefully stitched so nothing is out of place, scandalously allowing pieces of flesh to remain visible while still maintaining some measure of propriety.

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "Thank you for your kind words earlier, Ms Cloudwalker. It seems I was unable to respond from the Cave of Beauty."

His tail swaying placidly, Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "I'm quite pleased Hallifax and House Shevat were well represented in the Challenge, but a little disappointed that the Seal was claimed by the traitor Thayan, skillful though her work may have been."

Daraius says, "Mine is not to arbitrate such decisions, fortunately."

Daraius issues a short, soft growl.

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "In any event, I understand you have won the right to my services in the recent Indentured Servant Auction."

Dipping his muzzle in contrition, Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "You'll pardon my delay in stepping forward, I hope. My office keeps me well occupied, but I am in a position to clear my schedule for your sake."

Her mouth parting to reveal a smile, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "Oh, of course, Ambassador. And I was sure you would keep you word to offer your services for the Auction."

Daraius discreetly assesses Monsoma's expression and makes a passable attempt at mirroring it.

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "I trust you've had enough time to decide what service you wish me to provide?"

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale leans back into her recliner, offering you a gentle nod. "I have," she replies, the smile on her face still present. "I have been weighing my options for some time."

With an encouraging nod, his tail flicking once behind him, Daraius says, "I am eager to hear your decision."

Rising from the recliner, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale takes a few, poised steps toward her workbench. Her fingertips alight upon the sculpture found there, feeling its texture. "Well, Ambassador," she remarks, almost with a coy sensitivity. "I will be offering you an opportunity to choose. One is certainly more artistic, while the other is more scholarly."

Daraius's ears perk up attentively as he follows Monsoma's movements with a placid gaze.

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale is mesmerised by her sculpture for a moment, her grey eyes fixated upon the rainbow obsidian and golden beryl. A moment passes when she finally comes to her senses. "Apologies," her attention placed upon you. "Sometimes it is easy to get distracted when an idea for your work blossoms."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "What were we talking about?"

His voice laced with a warm growl, Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "Your commission of my services, Ms Cloudwalker. You had an artistic and a scholarly option in mind, but no mere bureaucratic endeavor suited to my most developed talents."

Daraius says, "It is just as well. You would surely have no difficulty finding a competent but low-profile functionary to address and matters of paperwork."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale grins mischievously at you.

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "That is true."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "And yes, your services." The trill woman strides back to her recliner, though she does not sit. In fact, she lingers behind its back, folding her arms against it like a hug. "The artistic opportunity of yours is something I mentioned during the auction. It is a simple family portrait of the Cloudwalkers. Certainly, we will need some time to gather all of us together, but it can be done."

Stretching her wings for a moment, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale continues, "The second opportunity, the more scholarly one, is a lovely little treatise on the master artists. Based on their personalities and galleries. Certainly, each of the families follow certain trends more than others. I imagine it would be easy for you to discern such."

Daraius presses a finger to his lips, his gaze falling idly on the obsidian and beryl sculpture as he considers the options.

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "Do you mean you would have me assess the prevailing sensibilities among each Master Artist's studio and compile my findings for publication?"

Nodding, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "That is correct, Ambassador."

Smiling once more, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "Knowing that you are an accomplished scholar with your work on Master..." Here, Monsoma ponders for a second before continuing, "Kunak, wasn't it? That this would be easily up your alley, so to speak."

A contemplative growl rolling in his chest, Daraius says, "It is an attractive proposal, and one that would be of immediate and measurable benefit to the Collective." At the mention of Kunak his ears perk up and his tail flicks briefly. "I'm honored you've heard of my work in that field."

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "But my capacities as a writer are less finely tuned, whereas I imagine I could certainly produce a family portrait."

Daraius says, "I once painted the Skyplumes of Hallifax, before they became, variously, Windwhispers, Shevats, and traitors to the Commonwealth."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale spins about and sinks into the furniture, her wings splayed out in a moment of relaxation. "Oh of course I know of your work, Ambassador. Do you think we artists do not acquaint ourselves with the latest scientific and scholarly work?"

Flattening his ears against his head, Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "Oh no, I did not mean to imply such a thing. It is just that mine is a decidedly minor contribution."

With a semblance of a smile, Daraius says, "Easily overlooked, I would assume."

With a dismissive wave of her hand, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "You speak so low of yourself, Ambassador. Any contribution to the glory of the Commonwealth is one deserving of reading."

Adding coyly, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "In fact, yours was one of many texts that we artists collectively read in our 'book club'"

Daraius dips his muzzle humbly towards Monsoma, the faintest rosy tint rising beneath the fur of his face. "Is that so?" he asks, unable to keep a note of astonishment from his tone.

Daraius says, "I can only imagine what you all thought of Kunak's assessment of city dwellers and their wicked ways."

Tilting her head in a delicate nod, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale smiles once more. "Of course, Ambassador. We are currently reading a piece of mycology from some Magnagoran. Generally, we do not read the works of foreigners, but Master Shevat has suggest it might be wise for us to do so." Monsoma raises her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them.

Daraius says, "Our esteemed Librarian will be charmed to hear that, I'm sure. He is fond of fungus himself, and keeps some Magnagoran contacts, so I imagine he is familiar with the work."

His tail swaying placidly, Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "But I believe I have come to a decision between your two options."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "Certainly, Master Kunak was a recluse and a renunciant. His comments on the cities are understood given such a context."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale nods her head at you.

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "We are aware of his work. Who could not be?" At your comment, she breaks into a smile and nods for you to continue. "Please, what is your decision, Ambassador?"

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "I am admittedly intrigued by the possibility of assessing the Master Artists' particular styles, and may take up the project another time, but I believe I will serve you better and in a more timely fashion by accepting the artistic option."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale listens attentively and responds with a slow nod. "Of course, Ambassador. And I am certain that it would be a lovely creation and sight to behold. Master Cloudwalker, I hope, to gladly place it within the gallery."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale ponders the situation.

Daraius says to Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale, "I imagine once you are able to orchestrate a gathering of your wayward kin, I can attend you all and come to an understanding of your characters."

With a gentle growl, Daraius says, "It is important to get to know one's subjects, as you're undoubtedly aware."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "I imagine I will have to send out letters to my cousins..." The woman begins counting on her hands the exact number, running the calculations in her head with whispers under her breath. "It is, and once we are able to assemble ourselves, I shall get you a letter."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale claps her hands together merrily.

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "I am so very glad that you are making this, Ambassador."

Daraius's expression softens and his tail wags briefly.

Daraius says, "It is an honor and a pleasure. Following the assembly, during which I will make the requisite sketches and so on, I will of course need to spend some time in private in my own studio."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale sinks into her recliner, giving you a short nod. "Is there anything else you wish to speak about, Ambassador?"

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale nods her head emphatically.

Daraius says, "Ah.. Approximately how far afield will you be sending your letters?"

Daraius asks, "Are there many Cloudwalkers residing outside the city?"

Thoughtfully, Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "I do not believe so..."

Daraius offers a brief nod of understanding.

Daraius says, "Very well then. I will eagerly look forward to hearing from you again, Ms Cloudwalker."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale beams broadly.

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says to you, "Thank you again, Ambassador. I look forward to seeing you soon."

Daraius again attempts to mirror Monsoma's expression, baring decidedly too many teeth as he dips his muzzle politely.

Clasping his paws before him, Daraius says, "May you be well in the meantime, and your efforts fruitful."

Monsoma Cloudwalker, the Midnight Gale says, "Blue skies, Ambassador."
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."