Rules Question: Influencing

AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
Hello,

after reading the rules about automatisation ingame I was pretty sure that having influencing done automatically (e. g. set a target and let your scripts finish it) was frowned upon, yet I've heard from several sources (including very credible ones), that it was okay do have such a script as long as you were attentendive and as long as it didn't move you from room to room.

At this point I'm throughly confused as to what is allowed or not and I would really enjoy having someone explain me where the actual line is. Not wanting to loose my char to not understanding the rules :(
Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.

Comments

• You're allowed to do both of those things, so long as you can respond quickly to any administrative prodding that checks if you're actually paying attention.
  • HELP AUTOMATION

Triggers and automation are allowed in most cases.

Restrictions
    ------------
    However, automation is restricted in situations where it is used to generate gold or experience, including but not limited to hunting vermin, killing denizens, questing, aetherspace hunting and influencing. In these situations, automation may be used only to simplify a process which remains fundamentally dependent on player input. For example, automating repetitive commands like attacking or influencing is acceptable assuming you must still manually select targets and move when required.

This rule applies whether you are AFK or not (see HELP AFK); total automation is unacceptable, even if your attention is focused entirely on the game. However, whether or not you could go AFK is an excellent indicator of whether your automation is too far-reaching. If you can stand up and walk away from the game and still be generating gold or experience, you are breaching Lusternia's automation policy.

Penalties
    ---------
    Penalties will depend on context, but can be severe. In extreme or repeated cases, violation of Lusternia's automation policy can result in suspension or permanent banning of your character.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    And there you are, with why I posted this. Several people, including fate guides, have stated these rules to not apply as written in the helpfile... Hence my confusion.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    If you're sitting and influencing a stack of guards, you can do it with scripts (heck you can do it with stratagems completely gameside), because it's just repeating commands and not moving or changing targets automatically. If your script is walking you around an area and influences/bashes, changes targets and moves without you having to put in any input at all (ie manually moving each room) it is not allowed. Anyone who tells you it's ok is wrong.

However I believe it is very difficult to determine and police, unless you're blatantly unresponsive. The Oneiroi quite often check people for it.

Morale of the story? You're better off erring on the side of caution, rather than getting in trouble and saying 'but so and so said it was ok'.

• Fate guides are not administrators, and their positions should not be taken as overruling any policy helpfiles.

Lavinya said:
    If you're sitting and influencing a stack of guards, you can do it with scripts (heck you can do it with stratagems completely gameside), because it's just repeating commands and not moving or changing targets automatically. If your script is walking you around an area and influences/bashes, changes targets and moves without you having to put in any input at all (ie manually moving each room) it is not allowed. Anyone who tells you it's ok is wrong.

However I believe it is very difficult to determine and police, unless you're blatantly unresponsive. The Oneiroi quite often check people for it.

Morale of the story? You're better off erring on the side of caution, rather than getting in trouble and saying 'but so and so said it was ok'.
    One of my reasons for asking was exactly that.

For the record, I was never willing to have something that completely automates the process, but having to hit the same button I bound influencing to repeatedly gets old very fast and having the client finish that one target before you manually set the next one is a lot more comfortable.... well, me asking is very erroring on the side of caution, as I'm not wanting to get into trouble :/
  • edited August 2015
    As a note, I've got a script that cycles through the three influence attacks against a set target. When no more of that target exist in the room uninfluenced (you get a different message when that happens), it stops influencing, and I have to move to the next one or set another target. No one has ever told me that is unacceptable, and I've been playing Lusternia for... well, I have no clue to be honest. Eight years? Ten?

EDIT: Whenever I write something to make my life easier, I look at it from a single angle to determine if it's okay or not: Can I turn this on and then go read a book while it keeps going in the background? If so, it might not be allowed.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Aeldra said:

Lavinya said:

For the record, I was never willing to have something that completely automates the process, but having to hit the same button I bound influencing to repeatedly gets old very fast and having the client finish that one target before you manually set the next one is a lot more comfortable.... well, me asking is very erroring on the side of caution, as I'm not wanting to get into trouble :/

That's fine.

You just don't want it automated to the point where you could walk away, and it would keep on going without you.
    Nocht said:
    Aeldra said:

Lavinya said:

That's fine.

You just don't want it automated to the point where you could walk away, and it would keep on going without you.
    That is perfectly fine by me. Thank you!