Looking for advice dealing with bashing spam

AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
Hi,

I've got a little problem and it's "spam". You could say I loose overview quickly when a mud spews too much lines at once at me. For example, if am fighting for denizens and have another hunter with me, things tend to get messy quickly. Sure, coloring of says / etc helps a little, but if there's four creatures with 4 line attack messages, I tend to loose focus. Without seperate health bar, I'm sure little Aeldra would've perished a lot more then she did.

What I usually do in such cases is manual color and spam reduction using mudlet triggers. While I theoretically can do that, it's a lot of work given the diversity of Lusternia's system (which I generally like).

Hence, my little question: How do you people deal with bashing spam and keep overview over what's happening?
Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.

Comments

• Bashing spam is usually left alone, as it's not as bad as combat spam, but the same concepts of what people do to handle combat spam can be applied to bashing as well. Specifically, gags and substitutes. You can tell your client to not display a certain line, but you'll need to have an example of that line in the first place, It can be tedious work, to gather all the lines you don't want to see, and to add it to your client's triggers to automatically not display them in the future.

You can also replace said lines with another (usually shorter) line of your choosing. So you could do something like replacing your normal attack message with a red-highlighted "You've attacked." line. Shorter and easier to read in a hurry.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight

Lerad said:
    Bashing spam is usually left alone, as it's not as bad as combat spam, but the same concepts of what people do to handle combat spam can be applied to bashing as well. Specifically, gags and substitutes. You can tell your client to not display a certain line, but you'll need to have an example of that line in the first place, It can be tedious work, to gather all the lines you don't want to see, and to add it to your client's triggers to automatically not display them in the future.

You can also replace said lines with another (usually shorter) line of your choosing. So you could do something like replacing your normal attack message with a red-highlighted "You've attacked." line. Shorter and easier to read in a hurry.

Been doing that so far, yet it proves quickly quite a lot to do. I can continue gathering them, but I thought maybe someone has a really bright Idea that I haven't thought off. Highlighting my own attacks is a really good idea, as well.
  • I send all tells, channels, etc into another window, so I can read them when they come up.

I color the lines I care about seeing clearly in big bold colors.
    Then I let the spam run and just look for colors, instead of reading it.
  • I think it also applies to bashing spam, so: OBLIVIOUSNESS ON.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Obliviousness and honestly, stop reading.

If you learn to skim and pick out certain words only, it gets way more manageable.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Thanks for all your input, I appreciate the ideas!