Credit Market

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yeah I'm not sure how tongue in cheek that was but I don't like the idea of being taxed because I've spent real money on credits to buy shiny things.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Not just that, but you could then determine from what people pay in taxes how many credits they have spent... not a great idea right there, some people don't really want that number to be readily available for a multitude of reasons.
    Xenthos said:
    Not just that, but you could then determine from what people pay in taxes how many credits they have spent... not a great idea right there, some people don't really want that number to be readily available for a multitude of reasons.
    I agree, please don't tell Leolamins how much I have spent. >_>

• They were all meant to be crazy ideas to spark something interesting in the minds of the admin. 

Though I think taxes would fit the RP of Hallifax, it would probably be about as successful as not letting anyone but the scientists and artists reach max city rank. Totally RP filled, but does not fill players with joy and excitement. Woe.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • BUY <some> PRESENTS FOR <cool people>.

You can't buy them for yourself. No idea what the individual gold cost should/would be. But certain thresholds of "altruism" do reward the buyer with to-be-determined Shiny Things of their own.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Akyaevin said:
    In regards to the credit market specifically: make credits bought from the market bound (or have a bound/unbound market distinction). This takes away inflation on the market from buying-and-reselling the same credits.
    That punishes those of us who sell credits we bought with real money. No thanks.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Tekora said:
    Akyaevin said:
    In regards to the credit market specifically: make credits bought from the market bound (or have a bound/unbound market distinction). This takes away inflation on the market from buying-and-reselling the same credits.
    That punishes those of us who sell credits we bought with real money. No thanks.
    I do think having a bound vs unbound credit market is a neat idea, though. Bound would obviously go cheaper than unbound. That way the people who need credits for personal reasons (lessons, artifacts, whatever) are paying less than the people who want to buy credits for alts/selling back credits at a higher cost. (In the case of getting credits for a friend, too, it might just be easier to exchange gold for them to buy bound credits.)

So I'm picking up what Akyaevin is putting down.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    edited August 2015
    Tekora said:
    Akyaevin said:
    Actually all it does is punish the people who buy the credits you're selling (that you bought with real money), then sell them on at a higher price and make a gold profit - on your real life purchase. :)

If all the credits bought from market are bound, this stops the reselling. I like it. If you want to buy for a friend, just give them your gold! If you're playing the market for your own pocket, go bash instead ;)

• edited August 2015
    I don't think we can change the credit market mechanic itself since that would mean Lusternia's producer would have to petition to IRE Corporate (And they never approve anything related to changing the way credits work after being purchased in-game), only the economy that is built around it. Gold sinks won't work. Too many players have too much gold since the distribution of gold is uneven through high end bashing and questing. Only thing that I think would make it even is to make earning gold easier for lowbies and midbies. This means we need to create more bashing areas and quests for those players so they can earn gold more easily to match the current average price of credits. After some time passes, we can then probably lower the distribution of gold throughout all bashing and questing areas when the market is stable via credits being sold at an persistent rate.

*edit*
    when lowering distribution of gold to see if credit prices can be dropped after all the new bashing/quest areas, do it in small increments to see how it effects the rate. It might result in not being worth it to lower the price of credits and just keep the distribution of gold high for everyone
    edited August 2015
    Edenwe said:
    I don't think we can change the credit market mechanic itself since that would mean Lusternia's producer would have to petition to IRE Corporate (And they never approve anything related to changing the way credits work after being purchased in-game), only the economy that is built around it. Gold sinks won't work. Too many players have too much gold since the distribution of gold is uneven through high end bashing and questing. Only thing that I think would make it even is to make earning gold easier for lowbies and midbies. This means we need to create more bashing areas and quests for those players so they can earn gold more easily to match the current average price of credits. After some time passes, we can then probably lower the distribution of gold throughout all bashing and questing areas when the market is stable via credits being sold at an persistent rate.
    -------------------------------

I get this in theory, but it takes awhile to make quests and areas, and even when they come out, the choicest bashing grounds are almost always farmed by the people who know where to go and how to make bank. So I'm not sure that's the answer to this problem, but I do agree that the best solution is to help younger players acquire gold/credits, because older players can be more discerning in what they spend gold on and hoard as they desire. 

And while I doubt that the bound vs unbound market thing can happen because of IRE too, I do think it would have a more immediate impact on the economy.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • The issue isn't entirely gold in system, it also stems from availability of credits outside the system.  I imagine someone mentioned it earlier, but if no one is getting credits to sell on market (assuming they need gold) the price keeps going up as supply falls.

So making a standard level credits are always available helps prevent inflation in that market specifically. Note that no matter the cost of credits we do NOT see changes in the price of trade goods. This impacts the cost of artys and skills for those not buying from website.  

We need more NEW players to get credits as the old ones don't tend to need much. The problem is new players look at market and say screw this *poof*.   I like a bound market, this could be used for artys if you bash yourself, to get lessons, etc.  Regular credits are more of a premium currency we can use at higher ends, but we need a standard for those or regular availability.

Our economy just looks tanked in high end goods, while lower goods are getting dirt cheap with the plethora of excess commodities. 

Old gold s inks included things like the curio crates for gold (only one kind at present).   Make all of them have a gold price, preferably lower than present numbers.  I also agree with cheap artys getting gold costs, so you don't need to spend 100 credits, you might be able to sell fewer credits and get the same item if credits are high (and suddenly credit prices went down a little).
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm all for a bound credit market. 75% of the market credits I buy are just going into curio packages anyway.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2015
    On the topic of a bound market - What is the point? If players set the prices still, why would anyone use the bound market when you can just use unbound? From a seller point, you would make more from unbound, thus there should be no reason to use a bound market. If you are a buyer, if no one is using a bound market, you are not going to see anything on it.

Edit: When I talk about a bound market, I take in the context of there being two credit markets, one for each type of credit, as I think having market credits becoming bound is a bad idea that probably would either make people not use it or have prices go up.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Why would prices go up if credits became bound once purchased from the market? Are people purchasing them and turning around to resell them at lower prices?
  • Enyalida said:
    Why would prices go up if credits became bound once purchased from the market? Are people purchasing them and turning around to resell them at lower prices?
      Perhaps I am wrong in how money works or not seeing something but the locking to one person limits the value of the credits. While I know there is no limit on credits themselves, but having them become bound limits the amount being sold. As such, the price is going to raise because people have less credits they are able to sell.
  • Bound market was also suggested to have an Admin set level to ensure a supply is ALWAYS reasonably available. 
  • Also, crazy thought.

Let's say you're a newbie and you're fresh out of the Portal. You've got your undie-less trousers on still and that tunic that still has the pricetag on it. You go to check credits and you see three things

Credits for sale

Bound Credits (Credits others put up that become bound once sold)

Admin Credits (Credits at a fixed rate that goes up very slightly each time you buy one)

The third amount would be attached to the e-mail of your character, so you can't, say, go on Shaddus and buy 50 bound credits for 5k each and buy them on Baddus for the same amount. If would give beginners like me a taste of the basic credit market, and everyone would have a point somewhere where they either became too expensive to be worth buying over the other versions of the market, or they could be a fixed amount and stop somewhere reasonable, giving the actual market a baseline for good credit prices.

If there's anything I've learned in Econ, it's that controlling the market artificially is sometimes a bad idea. However , I think this would be more like a stimulus package, and with our economy being so small in Lusternia, we definitely need more people in the credit market. Having such high prices bars people like me, who don't have millions in gold, from participating and tempering the market with more reasonable prices.

• Email addresses are infinite and free. Tying limitations to them wouldn't do much.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2015
    Ayisdra said:
    Enyalida said:
      Perhaps I am wrong in how money works or not seeing something but the locking to one person limits the value of the credits. While I know there is no limit on credits themselves, but having them become bound limits the amount being sold. As such, the price is going to raise because people have less credits they are able to sell.

It limits the number being resold, yes. Credits are only ever sold at a higher price than you purchased them for. All the non-credit market ways of purchasing credits either give out free credits (and still would) or give out bound credits already (and still would). The only credits people would be unable to sell would be ones they just bought off the market, the total number of credits hitting the market for the first time would remain the same.

All of the credit markets have probably gone up since many of the credits now entering the game (especially on months without good promotions) are bound, as they come through the elite membership program. The games with a smaller but more dedicated fanbase (like Lusternia compared to say... Achaea) will feel this somewhat more, because elite membership people probably take up a larger portion of our base.
  • Kalnid said:
    Email addresses are infinite and free. Tying limitations to them wouldn't do much.
    But playing a character under the same IP and different e-mail is against the rules. Hence people would be obligated to stick to their e-mail.

• What rule is that?

• Alic said:
    What rule is that?
    I'll dig up the specific rule when I find it, but I was in a conversation about alts once with the @Oneiroi and they got on me for not having the same e-mail on my two characters. It's a shrubable offense, apparently.

• Malarious said:
    The issue isn't entirely gold in system, it also stems from availability of credits outside the system.  I imagine someone mentioned it earlier, but if no one is getting credits to sell on market (assuming they need gold) the price keeps going up as supply falls.

So making a standard level credits are always available helps prevent inflation in that market specifically. Note that no matter the cost of credits we do NOT see changes in the price of trade goods. This impacts the cost of artys and skills for those not buying from website.  

We need more NEW players to get credits as the old ones don't tend to need much. The problem is new players look at market and say screw this *poof*.   I like a bound market, this could be used for artys if you bash yourself, to get lessons, etc.  Regular credits are more of a premium currency we can use at higher ends, but we need a standard for those or regular availability.

Our economy just looks tanked in high end goods, while lower goods are getting dirt cheap with the plethora of excess commodities. 

Old gold s inks included things like the curio crates for gold (only one kind at present).   Make all of them have a gold price, preferably lower than present numbers.  I also agree with cheap artys getting gold costs, so you don't need to spend 100 credits, you might be able to sell fewer credits and get the same item if credits are high (and suddenly credit prices went down a little).
    Yeah, I totally agree on credit supply being a big reason. With Achaea, they have a huge amount of players (in the hundreds on average)... so they have the right amount of players sustaining that market with a steady supply of credits. No idea what it is going to take to obtain a huge population of players like that, but it certainly can't be done with the current credit market not being able to drive and sustain player growth of lowbies and midbies.
  • Edenwe said:

Malarious said:
    The issue isn't entirely gold in system, it also stems from availability of credits outside the system.  I imagine someone mentioned it earlier, but if no one is getting credits to sell on market (assuming they need gold) the price keeps going up as supply falls.

Yeah, I totally agree on credit supply being a big reason. With Achaea, they have a huge amount of players (in the hundreds on average)... so they have the right amount of players sustaining that market with a steady supply of credits. No idea what it is going to take to obtain a huge population of players like that, but it certainly can't be done with the current credit market not being able to drive and sustain player growth of lowbies and midbies.
    But it's not just Achaea's that's holding stable, this is Aetolia's at the moment:

Credits currently available for purchase:
          35 credits at  5800 gold per credit.
          10 credits at  6000 gold per credit.
           1 credits at 64999 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 46 shown (46 total)  (Average sale price: 5325)
    Use CREDITS BUY <number> AT <max gold per credit> to purchase.

So it's more a factor of the rate gold is earned and the apparently massive amount of random extra currencies that have been added than purely player population.
    15.3.1 SECOND CHARACTERS

Second/alternate characters (also known as "alts") in Lusternia are allowed, but a higher standard for roleplaying will generally be imposed upon those who play multiple characters. Furthermore, using one for the purpose of helping the other is not allowed.

There is no limit to the number of characters you may create and play in Lusternia as long as you observe these three general rules:

1) Only one character may be logged in at a time (see HELP MULTIPLAYING).

2) All characters must be registered to the same e-mail address. Characters registered to different e-mails may be automatically and permanently shrubbed.

3) No character may ever help any other character in ANY WAY.

Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to:

* Dropping gold/items from one character and then logging in on another character to pick up the loot.
      * Mailing gold/items from one character to another.
      * Transferring a manse from one character to another, or using an intermediate player to transfer the manse between two characters.
      * Voting in the same election with more than one character.
      * Joining the same family as another one of your characters.
      * Favouring/promoting an alt in a guild or organization.
      * Any other activity that helps an alt.

*** IT IS HIGHLY ADVISED THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TWO ACTIVE SECONDS IN THE SAME CITY OR COMMUNE. *** Having multiple characters in the same city or commune increases that chances of violating the seconds rules, even inadvertently.

The usual punishment for this is quite severe - loss of one or both characters through permanent shrubbing or erasure being quite common.

(See also HELP MULTIPLAYING and HELP CHARACTERSHARING)

For reference, from help seconds. Anyone who isn't aware and has separate accounts, I am sure if you issue yourself and explain the situation it can be rectified, I know I had a character of mine added to my account by Iosai a long time ago.

• Renthur said:

But it's not just Achaea's that's holding stable, this is Aetolia's at the moment:

Credits currently available for purchase:
          35 credits at  5800 gold per credit.
          10 credits at  6000 gold per credit.
           1 credits at 64999 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 46 shown (46 total)  (Average sale price: 5325)
    Use CREDITS BUY <number> AT <max gold per credit> to purchase.

So it's more a factor of the rate gold is earned and the apparently massive amount of random extra currencies that have been added than purely player population.
    Well, one glance at the credit market won't tell you that it is stable. What has the credit market been like over long periods of time? There are only 45 reasonably priced credits there. That could disappear in a whim. How much gold can a midbie expect to earn per hour? How many credits does it take to make your character competitive? (such a vague question)

I don't know the answers to a lot of those questions for Lusternia. The point is that it will be hard to determine what a stable economy with a small player base looks like. Though, I will say that even if the gold/hr was much lower and the credits to be competitive were much higher, it can be psychologically more appealing to see a smaller gold/credit rate.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lavinya said:
    15.3.1 SECOND CHARACTERS

Second/alternate characters (also known as "alts") in Lusternia are allowed, but a higher standard for roleplaying will generally be imposed upon those who play multiple characters. Furthermore, using one for the purpose of helping the other is not allowed.

There is no limit to the number of characters you may create and play in Lusternia as long as you observe these three general rules:

1) Only one character may be logged in at a time (see HELP MULTIPLAYING).

2) All characters must be registered to the same e-mail address. Characters registered to different e-mails may be automatically and permanently shrubbed.

3) No character may ever help any other character in ANY WAY.

Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to:

* Dropping gold/items from one character and then logging in on another character to pick up the loot.
      * Mailing gold/items from one character to another.
      * Transferring a manse from one character to another, or using an intermediate player to transfer the manse between two characters.
      * Voting in the same election with more than one character.
      * Joining the same family as another one of your characters.
      * Favouring/promoting an alt in a guild or organization.
      * Any other activity that helps an alt.

*** IT IS HIGHLY ADVISED THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TWO ACTIVE SECONDS IN THE SAME CITY OR COMMUNE. *** Having multiple characters in the same city or commune increases that chances of violating the seconds rules, even inadvertently.

The usual punishment for this is quite severe - loss of one or both characters through permanent shrubbing or erasure being quite common.

(See also HELP MULTIPLAYING and HELP CHARACTERSHARING)

For reference, from help seconds. Anyone who isn't aware and has separate accounts, I am sure if you issue yourself and explain the situation it can be rectified, I know I had a character of mine added to my account by Iosai a long time ago.
    Wait, then how do the husband/wife (etc) couples play together?
    I imagine the admin ask what's up and investigate before shrubbing you to the moon and back.
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    I imagine the admin ask what's up and investigate before shrubbing you to the moon and back.
    Don't make characters together without notifying them first. :(

I did that in Achaea... and my partner never wanted to play again after a bad experience with getting perma-shrubbed cause our email/ip addresses were similar.