Weather System

So there are many things I like about the weather system and there are many things I hate about it. Sadly, the bad is far more than the good. It ismost likely that whichever admin designed the weather system is from a warmer part of the world.

My first issue is that IG, it can snow at 60F (this would be 15.5C). In the real world, snow shouldn't be possible until 32F (0C). Now, this is a minor problem, but one that doesn't make sense with my real world mindset and it bugs me way more than it should. It could be that physics work different in Lusternia, and water does actually freeze at 60F, but the lack of water freezing in other parts of the game (lakes and whatnot), does beg the question if this is true or not.

Another thing I would love to have is being able to 'set' what is cold/hot. To me, 40F (4.4C) is not cold, it is just chilly at most. However, in the same turn, I consider anything over 75 hot weather.

Being able to 'set' what I consider cold for my character would decide how much 'warmth' I actually need. For example, say 1 warmth is 1 degree warmer(I know warmth doesn't work on such a simple thing); so wearing 5 warmth in 30F would make it seem like it was 35F. By setting a lower 'cold' tolerance, perhaps 1 warmth means 3 degrees warmer and thus wearing 5 warmth in 30F makes it seem like 45F.

Now, I understand there are a few issues with this idea(s):

1) First and foremost, being able to set your tolerance at will would just game the system as people need.
         This could be solved by only being able to set it once (or I guess once every X days).

2) Then comes the issue of anyone just sets their tolerance to -30 and get away with low-warmth clothes to negate slowed movement. This also ties into that there is no super hot places that get into the 105F range (when slowed movement starts, according to my notes), besides the Skarch that I can think of.
        Without having hot places that people visit often, the only other way I can see is redefining when slowed movement happens. Right now, slowed movement due to cold happens at 30F and below and slowed moved due to heat happens 105F and above. If setting a cold tolerance meant that temp is when you started getting slowed movement and ~50 degrees later defined what was 'hot' and the start of when you got slowed movement due to heat that might work. For example, if I set my cold tolerance to 30F, this would mean 80F would be the start of slowed movement for heat. This would be in addition to the changing warmth levels depending how tolerant you are to cold.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and this whole idea is too.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Actually, in the real world, yesterday it was snowing at 42 degrees fahrenheit (according to my thermometer) on the ground.  Obviously, the white stuff didn't last long once it came down, but it was definitely snowing at above 32 degrees fahrenheit.  Temperature is not a constant at varying altitudes.

Additional note: According to this website, humidity is also a factor (the lower the humidity, the larger a chance that the snow will reach the ground at higher ground temperatures).  http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

They even give a little calculation page.  It kind of looks like at 0% humidity, the maximum temperature that it can snow at would be somewhere around 50.9 degrees fahrenheit (very unlikely).
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    We could just delete weather because it's annoying as hell. 
  • I love the flavour of the weather changing around me. I would rather it didn't impact movement and so forth because it's annoying. But love love that flavour. It's boring playing in a world that is always just a regular temperate day.
  • Xenthos said:
    Actually, in the real world, yesterday it was snowing at 42 degrees fahrenheit (according to my thermometer) on the ground.  Obviously, the white stuff didn't last long once it came down, but it was definitely snowing at above 32 degrees fahrenheit.  Temperature is not a constant at varying altitudes.

Additional note: According to this website, humidity is also a factor (the lower the humidity, the larger a chance that the snow will reach the ground at higher ground temperatures).  http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

They even give a little calculation page.  It kind of looks like at 0% humidity, the maximum temperature that it can snow at would be somewhere around 50.9 degrees fahrenheit (very unlikely).
    Ok, I guess I do stand corrected in that bit.

Celina said:
    We could just delete weather because it's annoying as hell. 

We would have to delete Shamanism as well as most of it would be useless then, but I would be ok with this and the lesson refund that comes with it. Even as a Halli now, I still have Shamanism flexed out for the off chance that I will be able to use it again and get that weatherguard or use trances.

• Delsea said:
    I love the flavour of the weather changing around me. I would rather it didn't impact movement and so forth because it's annoying. But love love that flavour. It's boring playing in a world that is always just a regular temperate day.
    if we removed the slowed movement from weather (and I guess changed the temp it can snow at to bit a bit more logically possible as talked about above with Xenthos' comment), I would be ok with everything else staying the same. It would settle the issue with how different people handle cold (Being from a state where below 0 winters is a common thing, the cold doesn't bother me as much as it would someone from California), and make it more of an rp thing.
  • Instead of player set temperature tolerances, I would go with race set temperature tolerances. Dracnari and Igasho should have a very different experience with cold and hot weather.

As for deleting the weather system.. call right now and make just one payment of 100 dingbats to ignore all the movement effects of weather! I personally like getting sun burnt and chilled. It doesn't bother me much, and it makes it more immersive.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • Pejat said:
    Instead of player set temperature tolerances, I would go with race set temperature tolerances. Dracnari and Igasho should have a very different experience with cold and hot weather.

As for deleting the weather system.. call right now and make just one payment of 100 dingbats to ignore all the movement effects of weather! I personally like getting sun burnt and chilled. It doesn't bother me much, and it makes it more immersive.
    Expect that one payment of 100 dingbats requires you to be mounted (or so I'm told). Not really helpful for those of us that don't have beasts/like to walk.
  • @Ayisdra - 1) You were informed correctly. It only works while you are mounted. 2) Walking is weird.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • Personally, I kinda like the weather effects, aside from the ones that affect movement speed. Being able to move half a room per second in the mountains suck...