Gaming Keypads

I'm seriously thinking of buying myself a nice gaming keypad for IRE use. I don't play graphical games, so it would only be used for text games. They can be pretty pricey, so I have a couple of questions for those of you who own one.

Does Mudlet support the macros? I'm wondering if the buttons can be used as keybindings in Mudlet. This would likely be my main use for one.

Is there a specific kind that is best to buy? Don't want to waste money on one, then hate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Mudlet can use keybindings, yes.  I've devoted my FWhatever keys to various things.

I'd say just get a full on keyboard, myself.  I'm a fan of Corsair's line of products for anything that goes into a computer, the build quality has been superb and I have zero complaints.  Razer is trash, lightweight crap plastic stuff imo.  Logitech always makes good stuff, can't go wrong with them.  Not a fan of Steelseries, I had their WoW mouse and it just felt so cheap despite the not cheap price tag.
  • I currently use the Logitec G510s. Now, I do not use Mudlet but it really doesn't matter due to the programs that come with the keyboard. MushClient does not suggest the G keys (they are like F keys but have 1-18 and M1, M2, M3 which changes those 18 keys for each of those modes). So basically just make an alias, open up your keyboard and bind the alias to the key with the enter so like..

ltendon
    <enter>

is what I have bound to a key so it is an external program that runs the keys, you set up profiles so it knows when and in what program it'll use the bindings and so on. I mucked through it with no guidance and it was pretty easy.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Razer Blackwidow remains one of the best gaming keyboards out there, I dunno why you'd think they're trash. Similarly (although not asked) the Deathadder's still the most used gaming mouse. Agree that Corsair and Logitech are both great, but Razer definitely not trash (not all of it, at least. Naga sux).
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    To each their own.  Especially when it comes to mice, I like mine to have some weight behind it.  Razer has never had that.  After two defective keyboards, I bought my Corsair and have been happy since.  Still have the Razer mousepad with the little wrist rest though.  That thing's nifty.
  • I've continually used my Nostromo Speedpad n52:

Their newer versions are probably better (and cheaper, since that one is out of production), but I almost only ever use them for MUDs or games where a key combination is repetitive (or I'm using it to bot around in an MMO).

I prefer it because I can set up my MUSH (and hopefully mudlet, soon) to play on any of my PC's and then just plug it into whichever I'm feeling like that day. You might consider it as having too many buttons, though. There are also three or four different modes which you can toggle that change the keys to a different layout. This would allow me to have the regular everyday setting then three different combat loadouts.