Tracking Traps Disarming

Currently a player with Tracking cannot disarm traps set by another tracker that has a higher skill level than they do. I totally understand the concept of wanting to demonstrate mechanically a difference in skill between a transcendent tracker and someone who is less than that, but think there could possibly be better ways to do so.

As an example, earlier today there was a person attacking ladies in ethereal serenwilde. Urdnot and I, both trackers, were there to defend, but we couldn't lay any traps because Lothringen has traps all over. He wasn't on the plane, and for all I know not even logged into the game, but the fact that his traps were set there eliminated a very significant portion of the tracking skillset for us. This creates a type of asymmetric situation that is extremely unforgiving to anyone who is less than transcendant, where a person can extensively trap areas of interest and prevent others from using their skills without even needing to be present.

Like I said, I understand the desire to reward the more skilled character... Just maybe in some other ways. Possibly make it more likely you'll accidentally trip the trap when trying to disarm, you don't get the comms back out of it, double or triple the normal balance for it. I'm even okay with the traps being un-breakable if the person is actually in the area at the time (though this doesn't make much normal sense in a lot of other ways).

While not a perfect analogy, it's in a way similar to saying someone who is less than transcendant as a mage or druid shouldn't be allowed to attack a transcendant person's meld.

Anyways, I'd love to hear people's thoughts, both for and against. Thanks!

Comments

• I think you mean @Leolamins.
  • Yep, you're right! I don't know why your name was the one that popped into my head.
  • Also, afaik it doesn't prevent you from disarming traps, only makes you fail (sometimes a lot) more often.
  • Nope, can't do it.

Though you detect the tell-tale signs of a trap, so cleverly laid is it that you are unable to locate its mechanism in order to disarm it.

Doesn't consume balance or anything, at least.
  • Oh, that's dumb. Yeah, it's enough that lower tracking/environment skills make disarming fail more often. Making it totally disarmable is silly!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I agree that you are prevented from doing it at all is too much.

As an aside, you can get someone to disarm them so he doesn't keep them around all the time, have someone who is trans check Etherwilde regularly to remove them.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Can you TRIP TRAP <direction>, or does that also hit the 'too complex' problem?

Same question for the DISARM <trap> <direction> CAREFULLY power disarm?

Sure tripping it will make you fall in the trap but I sometimes use this to clear traps quickly since even at trans Tracking/Environment you can hit the random disarm failure often.

Not ideal for springtraps to be sure, but tracking favours the prepared!
  • Neither trip nor carefully work either, failing with the same message.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I guess I can put this through in a report if you guys like.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I thought it already went through in a report a while ago.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I thought the whole point of trip trap was to get rid of traps you didn't have the skill to disarm. Strange if even that isn't working, maybe a bug?

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Turnus said:
    I thought the whole point of trip trap was to get rid of traps you didn't have the skill to disarm. Strange if even that isn't working, maybe a bug?
    As the person who envoyed Trip Trap, I can tell you that is not the point of it.  The point of it is to trip it so that you can then conceal it / make it yours.

REPORT 1033.