What do you charge? What would you pay?

I'm about to transcend the Artisan trade skill and post an ad offering my services to the public. But first, I need to get a general idea of what I should charge for what, because right now I honestly have no clue LOL.

So, I ask my fellow Artisans: what do you charge for your services? The few jobs I've already done have received various results---as an example, I've been paid 70k for doing one lock and key, 1k for a timepiece, 5k for 20 kegs, and so forth. You get the idea. Only one person has actually asked me what do I owe you? The rest just threw gold at me, hahaha.

I want to be fair, but at the same time, I want to make a profit. Most people so far have provided the comms for their requests and I know that that's where things get pricey. I also know that people won't always provide the comms. Eck. Advice?

And another question, this one posed to the non-Artisans and/or those who frequently seek out the services of Artisans. Actually, screw it, everyone who wants to can answer this question: what price(s) do you consider reasonable?

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Start your timer as soon as you initiate the transaction and charge 1000 gold per minute, plus the cost of comms if not provided.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Advice: identify the clients who don't want to think about money. Let them hand you gobs of cash. If they don't, poke them. But if you leave the right people to their own devices they'll shower you with more money than you're likely to charge on your own initiative.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    See Porty up there paying me a ridiculous sum for tattoos.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    No amount is ridiculous for a tattooist. They're rare enough that you want to cultivate a reputation for drowning them in gold so that you can actually find one.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I generally have a "pay what you're comfortable with" policy with trades and your mileage may vary. But the Portiuses of the world are very worth working for.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Oddly, not forcing a price unless the buyer asks is generally the best way to go, yes. Some people may try to stiff you, but I think you'll find the majority of people are willing to pay beyond what might be considered "fair".
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I usually state that I 'work for tips'. IE if they provide the comms, then I'll accept whatever they want to tip. This can vary from 500gold to thousands, depending on the buyer. I've found it to be the best policy.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I do comm costs as a minimum and then tips. If they provide the comms, it's just tips. If it requires something odd and I have to get it myself, I politely remind them of that when I start making things, or ask that they get it before we start. Acorns and honeycombs are a really common example of this in cooking, since we can't use the actual honey liquid in recipes.