Redoing Raid Penalties

edited January 2016 in Ideas
So after having been back, I've been reviewing the current state of conflict and I've got a few ideas (outside of Shuyin's conflict report) on how to address them. I've decided to look at each of the current issues (by popular opinion and my own) through subsections and how to address them.

Cost of Death in Enemy Territory
I don't think any would argue that the cost of dying in enemy territory vastly outweighs any current benefit to raiding, of which there already is very little. In reality, the high cost of death in enemy territory was originally introduced as a result of Narsrim raiding territories non-stop. Death did not nothing to him as it would be a small essence hit and he'd be right back at it. However, even with the high cost of death, this did nothing to deter Narsrim. It's done nothing to deter me either or a few others. I think it's safe to say that the high cost of death does nothing but stifle conflict. However, there should be penalties to dying in enemy territory and I'd like to propose the following solutions:

There should be a clear mechanical distinction between dying in organizational enemy territory and mob enemy territory. There can be a slightly larger essence hit for dying in mob territories but that should be it. You're already taking a large risk by being attackable without Avechna paying any mind. The only other penalty should be a SLIGHTLY larger essence hit for dying in enemy territory. This allows bashing in mob enemy territory to have risk but still adequate reward. Regarding organizational enemy territories like cosmic planes, ethereal counterparts, villages, and Prime territories, they should follow a schema such as this:
  • The first death in enemy organizational territory will carry with it a slightly larger essence/xp drain. This allows for the individual, in the event of a large raid, to come back and reinforce their group if a large raid is going on.
  • The second death in enemy organizational territory should come a larger penalty as with the above and with debuffs to vitals, buffs, and defenses. This makes the person more vulnerable. This penalty will last beyond the territory for a length of time.
  • At some point, just like with Avenger, if a person keeps dying in enemy territory, they should be peaced for a moderate length of time. This is to give defenders a break from just constantly having to defend from one person's shenanigans.

Obviously, the above can be tweaked, but I'd also like to suggest the following since Demigods carry a large inherent risk when they currently raid. However, Vernal Ascendants and Ascendants would no longer really have any steep penalties to deal with as a result. I believe that if a Vernal Ascendant starts running out of essence and, if they would've lost Demigod normally through raiding, they should cost their organization power. Each death, in my opinion, should cost around 1k power. This is to establish a mentality that VA's should be keeping enough essence and it will be motivation to descend them if they can't maintain the responsibility of upkeeping their essence and just want to raid constantly with no consequences. Additionally, it was suggested that if a TA/VA raids and has no essence to pay for the death, their holds on their domoths (should they have any) should also be weakened considerably. These are just loose ideas thrown around. I'll let others debate them.

Supermobs and their Current State

So given that it's been awhile since we've seen any kind of tangible organizational conflict on the respective planes (outside of both communes killing each other because I stirred the pot), raids on Celestia, Vortex, Continuum, Nil, and other places are virtually unheard of. Even more so large-scale raids to take out their respective mobs. If we JUST reduce the penalties for death in enemy territory without implementing something new to replace it, we're going to have an issue where they're dying constantly again. However, if we introduce my above solutions in some shape or form, supermobs would have to take nerfs as death against smobs is relatively common while killing them. Raids on these areas are lengthy affairs and death is common.

Distort and Seals/Cubix/Orgbixes

Distort in its current form needs to be weakened heavily. It's effectively a raid killer in itself and while it has a counter in bringing up a whistle, it's probably still too strong. I'd be fine with keeping Distort in its current form for Prime territories, but it really needs to take a hit in other areas. A full minute of doing nothing in order to touch a seal, cubix, or an orgbix is outright ridiculous, unrealistic, and unfeasible for healthy conflict in the game. I'd recommend cutting that number to 25-35 seconds. This allows attackers, in the event they routed defenders, to leave as well they should be allowed. If the full minute is deemed necessary, raiders should be allowed to heal themselves while channeling the cubix/orgbix/seal. Anything otherwise hostile will just drop the attempt.

That being said, cubix/orgbix/seals are in need of downgrades. We have way too many escape mechanisms in the game as is and raiding should carry some form of inherent risk for your character. Other players should be able to hold you accountable for your actions rather than you just being allowed to instant escape from any consequences. As such, I'm going to differ from Shuyin's proposed ideas on cubixes/seals/orgbixes as I think that they wouldn't work very well for certain classes. Maintaining full health at all times, for example, would be difficult for a Celestine that has Stigmata up. Rather, I propose that cubix/seals/orgbixes maintain their current weakness of not being able to touch them while having mental afflictions, but also not being able to touch them while under <80% of any vital. This encourages strategic usage of these items rather than just a straight escape whenever things get dicey. They retain their usage as a quick means of getting around and NOT as an immediate, guaranteed escape.

In any event, that's it for me and ideas. Feel free to ignore, discuss, criticize, or whatever. Like I've said, I'm down for trying to propose ideas rather than just complaining.

Comments

• From what I recall, raiding and conflict is what it is now because of complaints stemming from endless raids on the regular mobs (ladies, daughters, angels, demons, etc.), not because of endless raids on smobs. Except, the admin response has always been to buff and protect the smobs to the point wherein they're no longer worth it to kill.

It would be nice if they just debuffed the smobs and buffed the regular mobs, for a start. Then, if orgs would like to go against the smobs, they'd have to clear out the regular mobs first, and this may give both attackers and defenders some to prepare for the big end fight, rather than "swoop in quick, and pop back out".
    See you in Sapience.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You won't necessarily be below 80% vitals when fighting a large variety of classes (Especially now with high vital pools all around) or loaded with mental affs,  so you'll still be able to easily escape from the midst of combat unless there is a group ganking you. 
  • Enyalida said:
    You won't necessarily be below 80% vitals when fighting a large variety of classes (Especially now with high vital pools all around) or loaded with mental affs,  so you'll still be able to easily escape from the midst of combat unless there is a group ganking you. 
    It's a step. Restricting them any further pretty much invalidates most of their value and makes them extremely situational.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm comfortable with that. 
  • I agree with most of the suggestions. My exemption is the distort discussion. I feel this reasonable well balanced at the moment. The org has a way to defend and hold the raiders to account. With preparation the raiders still have a viable means of escape for Demi's via ships. I like the way this often plays out with orgs rushing to defend their portals and the defenders needing to make the strategic decision to continue, attempt to mount a fight at the portals or flee.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!