design system overhaul please

It needs to happen. Please. I love being an Artisan, but it's a huge pain in the ass to have to pastebin everything for people. Especially if they don't know what they want and ask to see designs 4234, 5382, 2942, 4850 and 1034 when you show them a list. Because then you have to make pastebin files of all those design details and the person might not even like any of them.

Public design system, please. Anything, to make being a tradesperson easier. Hell, maybe implement my TRADESWHO idea just to make it easier to find a tradesperson. Or something.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    @Altrea had this merchant website going for a while but...
  • Marcella said:
    @Altrea had this merchant website going for a while but...
    I remember you telling me that. The problem with those websites is, it's a shitload of work. Designs are constantly being tweaked and removed and created -- I have 986 artisan designs in all and that's just counting the ones I have access to in my cartels.

I mean, I could probably make a website with full ex details on my artisan designs and everything, but like I said .. it's a lot of work and if anything major changes, it could end up a total waste.

• I'm a newer crafter and find the whole system kind of overwhelming. There's a lot of information, as well as insufficient information, as to how to do anything or find anything, and it's all spread out quite a bit. 

It would be useful (at least I would find it useful), to have an intuitive, general, HELP CRAFTING file. 

This file should include in a neat and orderly fashion:
    • A reference that you can have 1 trade skill at a time
    • Trade skills require a special room to make things in
    • For each of the crafting skills
      • their primary syntax (SEW, etc - HELP TAILORING doesn't actually tell you how to tailor)
      • help file for that specific trade
    • How to access public designs by trade (or in general - HELP TAILORING doesn't really tell me how to see what designs there are or how to get started)
      • As well as a reference for HELP DESIGNSEARCH
    • A mention of the DESIGN syntax and appropriate HELPs for custom designs
    • A brief overview of cartels
      • How to review cartels (what ones are in your org, a public list of them, etc)
      • Where to learn more about cartels
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    REPORT 1402 is my attempt to help out with the pastebinning issue.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Ranah said:
    I'm a newer crafter and find the whole system kind of overwhelming. There's a lot of information, as well as insufficient information, as to how to do anything or find anything, and it's all spread out quite a bit. 

It would be useful (at least I would find it useful), to have an intuitive, general, HELP CRAFTING file. 

This file should include in a neat and orderly fashion:
    • A reference that you can have 1 trade skill at a time
    • Trade skills require a special room to make things in
    • For each of the crafting skills
      • their primary syntax (SEW, etc - HELP TAILORING doesn't actually tell you how to tailor)
      • help file for that specific trade
    • How to access public designs by trade (or in general - HELP TAILORING doesn't really tell me how to see what designs there are or how to get started)
      • As well as a reference for HELP DESIGNSEARCH
    • A mention of the DESIGN syntax and appropriate HELPs for custom designs
    • A brief overview of cartels
      • How to review cartels (what ones are in your org, a public list of them, etc)
      • Where to learn more about cartels
    To address a couple of these: 

HELP TAILORING doesn't cover the active verb, AB TAILORING COATS (or what have you) should. It's this way likely because of Cooks (and expanded into bookbinders) who have, off the top of my head, BAKE, COOK, BREW, DISTILL, and MULL for different types of food. For reference, Jewelers use CRAFT, Tailors use SEW, Artisans use (i think) ASSEMBLE, Alchemists use BREW, Bookbinders use BIND and were later given FOLD (there may be one for making magic scrolls, but if so it escapes me), Herbalists use HARVEST and PLANT, and I think Poisonists use HARVEST as well, Enchanters use ENCHANT?, Forgers use FORGE FOR <num> or another verb that escapes me for leather, and finally tattoists use INK.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Artisans CONSTRUCT. Alchemists AMALGAMATE. Bookbinders BOOKBIND.

To second Luce - the help files for trades and things are more generalised than looking at your AB <skill> files.