Games Done Quick

SGDQ is coming to Minneapolis this summer (July 3-10), so I'll be doing what I can to volunteer/attend. Anyone else? If anybody in this community is into speedrunning, submissions open today!

If you've never heard of it before, Games Done Quick does a couple of charity twitch streams each year. Last winter, they raised over $1.2 million for the Prevent Cancer Foundation! This summer's will go to Doctors Without Borders.

And if you think watching other people playing video games couldn't possibly be fun, like I used to, check out this example of what they do: 

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."

Comments

• Huge fan of the GDQs here. I've been watching it for years now one and love interacting in so many of the wonderful speedrunners' channels on twitch.tv otherwise. There are so many really amazing people enjoying games and making huge bucks for charities.

Also, #team kill the animals/save the frames.
  • It's all about saving lives! Even pixels. #savetheanimals

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited July 2016
    This starts tomorrow! Anyone else attending?

Even if you're not in the Minneapolis area this week, do watch! It streams for free all over the world. It's really entertaining. Donate, if you're inclined.

We gaming nerds can do some amazing good in this world.

• Unfortunately, being stuck half a world away, all I can really do is watch the stream :p

Might consider submitting a run for consideration for next year though, after I shift to the states - I've gotten fairly good at doing a solo Double Dragon 2 (NES) run - most runs I've seen done of DD2 are usually 2 player B mode.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • edited July 2016
    I'm especially looking forward to the Dishonored run on Monday.

I'm not on the couch, but I'll be the bald chick in a wheelchair.

• edited July 2016
    Here's a partial schedule, for those interested:

• edited July 2016
    $1,299,124.44 raised this year. Another great event. :)

• I watched a few of the streams when I had the time. Was some good stuff!