Breaking into cliques

Comments

• Yes. Go to the order, find out who is in charge. HELP <GOD> will tell you who this is. Say "I'm interested in your order. What can I do to help you?" and you're involved. Repeat for guild, city, <insert group here>.
  • Aaaand now it just seems like we're getting abstract and weird in an effort to obfuscate the original intention of venting displeasure with the powers that be and their ironclad skype chat.
    come2mag
  • Elaborate, Tynghall? Please? What even are the 'powers that be' in your metaphor?

As I said in the OP, all of these thoughts are welcome.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • "ironclad skype chat" disturbs me more than anything else said in this thread, if i'm being frank. What does that mean?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Riluna said:
    Elaborate, Tynghall? Please? What even are the 'powers that be' in your metaphor?

I'm talking about :

Riluna said:
    All of the above, @Othero. THAT is the point of this thread, if there is one. Coming from such apparently disparate environments, can you be involved in something as simple as an Order?

Yes, yes you can be involved, provided that god role is active. 

I agree that cliques can be a problem. Very much so. But it seems that with each passing post and retort, you seem less like you're trying to spur conversation or provide illumination on the subject, and more like you were just posting because you were pissed off, and you're now trying to hide that with deflective questions.
    come2mag
  • Tynghall said:
    Riluna said:
    Elaborate, Tynghall? Please? What even are the 'powers that be' in your metaphor?

I'm talking about :

Riluna said:
    All of the above, @Othero. THAT is the point of this thread, if there is one. Coming from such apparently disparate environments, can you be involved in something as simple as an Order?

Yes, yes you can be involved, provided that god role is active. 

I agree that cliques can be a problem. Very much so. But it seems that with each passing post and retort, you seem less like you're trying to spur conversation or provide illumination on the subject, and more like you were just posting because you were pissed off, and you're now trying to hide that with deflective questions.
    Carry the conversation on then, or not, as you will. At no point in this thread have I been pissed. I definitely am not able to articulate things the way I want, though, and other people have expressed points that trump mine, even if it's clear they don't invalidate it. If you agree that cliques can be a problem, how so? That will be a far more productive discussion.

• I'm going to shy away from the talk about cliques cause.. I tend to end up in them supposedly. I have no idea how, I just do, IRL and IG. 

As to getting involved and interacting well. Sometimes you just need to  initiate that yourself, not every body is going to just jump on the opportunity to interact with you. I'm an extreme introvert, I have a lot of trouble interacting with people. Like seriously, a lot. But sometimes it's worth it to go up to a God's Order you're interested in and joining it, or talking to your GA/GC/GM and asking to be a protector/undersec and just going from there, undersecs and secs tend to interact regularly with younger people and sometimes that's all you need. Or join a Ministry like Culture and just start putting events together. 

I know you're not a new person to the game because I remember playing with you previously so some of this stuff may come off as overly basic., and I know this isn't a guarantee you'll be noticed and everyone will want to join in right away but sometimes just showing you're interested is all it takes. I think that's what it took for me.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited March 2016
    Don't mind this i'm a fool

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Please don't out alts on the forums.
  • Riluna said:
    * (or however you spelled it) was a true delight. I'm looking for ways to explain to new people how to get into it. I don't remember how I did it either, but that was good times, hmm, Dylara? :D
    Probably best we don't out alts? It's kind of a character I'd like to leave behind. 

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• yeah i'm not doing any of this right. sorry. was fun, Dylara.

• Riluna said:
    yeah i'm not doing any of this right. sorry. was fun, Dylara.
    I understand, it happens. Just a personal preference.

• I think I should just shut up now. If people have thoughts, bring them on but I'm out of this.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I got lucky. My character caught the attention of Elostian and the early Shevats and I was pretty much set for life with a social group that was compatible with my playstyle. I talked to people at the Matrix, participated in city contests, and attempted to help out in revolts here and there. No PK required. My advice for a newbie looking to break into clique Shevat: demonstrate some capacity for politeness and be gung ho about Hallifax. Or for easy mode, be a Hallifaxian loboshigaru.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I've always done best in orgs where I've managed to befriend people and been part of a group, even though I'm not particularly social, so I think it's always good to look how you can help either side of a social disconnect to cross the void. And while I think Ad-Hoc works really well for Hallifax, I think it has a lot to do with how it supports against the city's ambiance and atmosphere - there are plenty of people in the clan who I'd probably hardly talk to or have interacted with otherwise if not for the extra channel. I doubt it will work as effectively in other orgs due to the dynamics behind them (especially Magnagora).

If you're feeling left out somehow, Riluna, then all I can really suggest is looking at a target group you think you would fit well in and study them. Do what you can to emphasize whatever qualities you have that can make you a part. As you examine it, you might actually find it's not even a particularly good fit after all, and may wish to look elsewhere. There's not really a solid apply-all strategy for integration.

• so much cliquebait
  • It's like an exercise in trying to figure out how to validate yourself OOC via IG means. Play because the game is fun (from an IRE perspective, I'm not heavily involved in Lusty yet)...not because you're seeking validation or the answer to some really existential questions that a text game should (and probably can't) answer....
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • Dealing with people takes energy. If you're the kind of person who leaves an encounter with the other person feeling not drained then you'll tend to do better than the type of person who seems more exhausting to deal with.

There's a wide gulf between 'play with me' and 'play for me'. There's a lot to do in Lusternia and no one does it all (or at least not all the things all the time). 

Self starters will find things easier. Find out what you like or love doing and start just doing it.
  • I have to say, I don't know if it's cliques, maybe it is, but being ignored by the majority of Magnagora aside from "bow to me because I'm your superior" really drove me away.
  • Alseid said:
    I have to say, I don't know if it's cliques, maybe it is, but being ignored by the majority of Magnagora aside from "bow to me because I'm your superior" really drove me away.
    This can in fact be a problem.

What manner of roleplay and interaction were you looking for out of Magnagora and the other players? Feedback is the key to improvement!
    come2mag
  • As someone who primarily RPs (I do play this for RP, true fact!), and someone who was warmly welcomed into Glomdoring (but not Serenwilde or Hallifax, when I tried to make characters there first, or Magnagora, etc.) -- I think it's just depending on how you get yourself out there. I can honestly say that if my character did not participate in combat, she would still be well-loved in Glomdoring, which is a vicious place where we like biting people on the nose.

You don't have to be an avid combatant. The individuals who shirk you for not participating in those things probably aren't people you want to mesh with anyways. Sure, combat is important to the game, but it remains a game centered around playing a role, playing a character and interacting. As for cliques, some may just be In-Character Cliques. Some organizations handle new members better than others. It's about finding the one that you feel most comfortable playing in, at the end of the day.
  • Scanlan said:
    I dunno, as a new player well new in the regards that the only other character I have ever played here was back in 2011, so its been a long time, and he wasn't notable by any means, but in Glomdoring I haven't noticed as much Clique mentality as I did in Hallifax back then, that being said, I was nervous to come here as a retiree, and to learn everything again, and be trying combat which is something I have never done, I have always been primarily an RPer, combat makes me shake and panic.

Glom just isn't really Clique-y in my experience thus far, I think there are cliques but only like in families, not in like, Mean Girls you cant sit here and on wednesdays we wear pink.

Who knows, maybe Narynth is really Regina George? Does that make Crow, Glen Coco??
    You Go Glen Coco!

GUUUUUURL!!! I am so done with this place right now. I literally can't even.
  • Alseid said:
    I have to say, I don't know if it's cliques, maybe it is, but being ignored by the majority of Magnagora aside from "bow to me because I'm your superior" really drove me away.
    That was Nihilist RP. All Nihilists were required to do that when they started. I overbowed to everyone for IG years and years when I started. You can't just 'incline' to any Nihilist and expect to get away with it when you're GR1. I was really sad to see you leave btw.

Cliques are out of character groups that form and leave players behind to favour that clique.
  • edited March 2016
    If you feel ignored, don't be afraid to approach people, some of them really do want to rp with you. I try to speak with everyone but sometimes it happens that I missed someone. It's not intentional.
  • Xenthos said:
    I can see myself doing so, because I actually have done so. I vote for Vernal Ascendant based on how I feel the person is tied to the organization, not based on how they fight. Participation is good, but being a paragon of PvP is unimportant to me. I would rather have someone who represents Glomdoring as VA than someone who just murders things.
    Huh, I do vote partially based on how they fight. And partially for leadership qualities.
    I want a VA who, not just can, but will lead raids[ and hunts and what not, but raids are the main thing....].
    The ability to organize or inspire is important to this.
    I mean, Lerad has his flaws but he also know this.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim: