so, one thing that does keep bugging me are the way our ultimate bashing artifacts, the 'whips' do currently work. Mostly what disturbs me is that, I for one, start losing the immersion of being a immersion of being a certain character after using the whip for quite a while, it's the same whether I was in Celest or Serenwilde and I guess it would feel similar if I were in Magnagora or Gaudiguch. Everyone who got themselves a bashing artifact wields the same whip and snaps it at things.
Don't get me wrong, the idea of a whip as a weapon is not a bad one and after I got the description and appearance of mine changed, I feel alright using it. But, I've been pondering for a while now if it's not rather deterring to guild / org identity if everyone is using the same weapon unless they are happen to fight other players. Most guilds have many immersive and pretty ways of attacking, some are better, others are worse, but all in all it still feels that all of this flavor is lost to us with the introduction of whips.
So, I personally would love to see some discussion how this could be possibly amended (if others agree with me that this indeed is rather sad? )
Idea's of my own that popped into my head:
- Allow whips to have a secondary effect that you can activate by touching, converting what ever damage your attacks would normally do into that of the whip ( caveat: would need you to remember to turn off that if you want to use damage dealing attacks against players, as whips are not against players)
- Provide diversity to whip attacks based upon org/guild/faction ( possibly at lot of work to be implemented )
- Providing an alternative artifact to a whip that allows you to manipulate the damage type of your guild attacks against denizens ( not 100% sure that would be a good idea )
- Have a third party skillset ( such as an idea I posted on the demigod power idea thread a while ago ) that let's you siphon on the power of a whip to use in a customizable attack message?
- I've heard people suggest devaluing the usefulness of whips, but that's personally not something I feel like it would be the right thing to do.
I realize all in all it's possibly still minor in a way, but seeing legion of people with the same whip while bashing is disheartening and for me, ultimately immersion breaking. I'm pretty sure someone else possibly has an even more neat idea. What's people's opinion?
Avatar / Picture done by Xeii. Wheeeeee