Overdone

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Falmiis said:
    I think a lot of the stigma with these things is that more often than not it is done very poorly and the player behind them try a bit too hard to draw attention to the fact that they have certain character traits that would be considered "unique". This leads to people thinking that all of these characters are just trying to demand attention so the initial reaction is to groan and try to not have any interactions with them at all.
    I try to make an effort to approach people as individuals, in an innocent until proven guilty sort of way. If two people with a certain trait suck, it doesn't mean the third guy with that trait sucks too. Even some people with barf-worthy mudsex descriptions are pretty alright if you give them a chance, and I hate those things.

By all means, judge away if they do something to give you that tingly "I knew I was right to hate this guy!" feeling, just try not to write people off instantly. The game is small enough these days without having such a strict filter on who you'll hang out with. :P
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Rippling muscles and masculine perfection is just as overdone as all the curvaceous ladies out there. I want to see more Dad bods.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Cascading hair.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Lavinya said:
    Rippling muscles and masculine perfection is just as overdone as all the curvaceous ladies out there. I want to see more Dad bods.
    I agree with this, I tried to make Tamashi kind of just plain with really nothing special physical. I leave being super ripped to the warriors, toned to the bards, and the fact that I can even attach body types is already a sign it's too common.
  • Yeah, I wanted Eldanien's demigod form to be idealized along divine/holy themes, but at the same time did my best to avoid certain stereotypes like the bodybuilder bod.  In the end, I decided to mirror/echo a human(-ish) version of Dionamus.

Every time I see a warrior FLEX, though, I can't help but picture them with a Schwarzenegger bod.  Poor Bleuu.

I tweaked Ev's description to reflect his age, meaning he no longer has a perfect body.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Breandryn said:
    Most of the time I see people use scars it's done as a way to physically pay tribute to an important part of their character's history, versus being done to stand out.
    Personally I've mostly seen 18-20 year old scarred kids who've yet to see any real combat. And sure, fair enough, scars can look cool. But at that point there's not much history to relate to. These descriptions mostly seem to be set ups for later on.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'd like to think that I can act as proof that it's possible for a character-defining flaw to not be in everybody else's face. Only a couple people have had confirmation from Luce about his, but just about every interaction I've had with people has been informed by it. Then again, for all I know everyone in Hallifax knows and is tittering behind my back. *shrug*
  • Characters that talk about how unique their eyecolour is :sweat:

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I've gotten enough unsolicited or accidentally solicited hints to know that I'm probably better not knowing Luce's dark secret.

As for scars and various other impairments, I consider them physical manifestations of psychological trauma. We have examples of NPC's that are blind, scarred, or have bad accents, so I don't get too up in arms when people try to play those traits. Hair trill, skin lobos, and boob dracnari, on the other hand...
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Aww come on, no hairless doggies?

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Well Mexican hairless and Chinese crested dogs irl are ugly as sin, but I would give mad props to someone with a lobo description like that. What's abominable is being a regular human with a tail and dog/cat ears and calling yourself a lobo or aslaran. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Trem is a patchwork of scars, but since she's a viscanti who spent the majority of her life as a glamourist and geomancer she hides herself in a shroud of Taint. I suppose that appropriate salves and treatments could fix her, but I like to think of the body as a reflection of the psyche. She's as broken inside as she is outside, but refuses to show it and hides behind her barriers to go about her life normally.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Daraius said:
    Well Mexican hairless and Chinese crested dogs irl are ugly as sin, but I would give mad props to someone with a lobo description like that. What's abominable is being a regular human with a tail and dog/cat ears and calling yourself a lobo or aslaran. 
    How diluted would that bloodline be? Your great x20 gran pet an aslaran and absorbed the DNA by mitosis?

• Tremula said:
    Trem is a patchwork of scars, but since she's a viscanti who spent the majority of her life as a glamourist and geomancer she hides herself in a shroud of Taint. I suppose that appropriate salves and treatments could fix her, but I like to think of the body as a reflection of the psyche. She's as broken inside as she is outside, but refuses to show it and hides behind her barriers to go about her life normally.

Faeling with boobs as big as they are. If your faeling is the size a pixie, having Z-sized breasts would not end well.

Pectus said

Faeling with boobs as big as they are. If your faeling is the size a pixie, having Z-sized breasts would not end well.

I hated that thankfully short-lived Hallifaxian trend.

• Ileein said:
    Eldanien said:
    I'm not suggesting there's no reason or justification to the scars.  But the topic of the thread is 'Overdone'.  I'm just pointing out something that feels overdone, in my opinion.  I couldn't list them all, but I'm sure I've run across a dozen characters with visible facial scars.

Something else that feels overdone: invented languages.  These even work against the mechanics of the game.  And it's not just the invented commune languages.  I cringe every time I read a conversation about kepheran words.
    For sure. Apparently someone a while back in Hallifax decided that "archaic Lucidian" was in fact Byzantine Greek, and made a whole help file with "translations of titles" which basically just equated to looking up the Byzantine words for ranks and using those (Basileus for Chairman, for instance, which made me wince because the implications of the title basileus are completely different from those implied by chairman). It's gone now.

Anyway, everyone knows that archaic Lucidians spoke Lojban.
    It was @Portius that made that. I believe he came to Greek because of some random titles/words NPCs used that were that. (but then we go back to the whole debate about direct copies of bits of real world languages being used as canon)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Before this year, there were no samples to cultivate. And after this year, only Abeytu would be interested in keeping a Sun tree.
  • We have the chocolate cooking curios that can make chocolate things, so its not like we don't have chocolate on hand...just not something we can use in designs.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Ayisdra said:
    Ileein said:
    Eldanien said:

It was @Portius that made that. I believe he came to Greek because of some random titles/words NPCs used that were that. (but then we go back to the whole debate about direct copies of bits of real world languages being used as canon)

Zitto told me to, actually. Blame him if you don't like it. That having been said, I'm willing to go so far as to say that if you want to use a real language to stand in for Lucidian, you should use Greek for reasons of both phonology and cultural role. Namegen Lucidan will also very rarely spit out actual Greek words, but that's pretty coincidental. There are times when doing so is useful in things like the library, if you want to be consistent about place names and such. There are times when it won't accomplish anything. The appropriateness of substituting a real one for a game one will vary based on context. It's certainly better to use the SPEAK command where you can, but that doesn't work in every situation. There's a lot of precedent for using non-English languages in guild titles as it is, so I don't strongly disapprove of it.

Also, not Byzantine. This is not terribly relevant to anything, but that's the wrong dialect.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited September 2016
    Everiine said:
    I tweaked Ev's description to reflect his age, meaning he no longer has a perfect body.
    Is he still manly?

edit:

Re: languages, communes have more wiggling room because Faetongue!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Siam said:
    Everiine said:
    Is he still manly?
    Always ;)

• Hoaracle said:
    Random RL languages used IC. Cough.  ;)
    Speaking "Delportian" even though there is no mechanical way of knowing it.
    Your numbers today are:
  • Sorry no @kilee people can speak fae words no problem and there isn't a mechanical way to learn fae. So if someone hears people in delport say french words they should be allowed to "learn" the language if they want to. It doesn't make anyone a snowflake because they want to do that. Something I think is over done? RP Police