The Strongleaf return home

I kinda came in just after it started, but the pixies started dropping slips of paper when they were returned to Mother.

A flurry of golden sparks trail behind the pixie as it flies up into the branches, leaving a pale
scrap of paper in its wake.

Arix picks up a lost slip of weathered paper.

Niina's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

Arian tilts his head and listens intently to Arix.

Arix says, "Elyn?"

Arix gives a lost slip of weathered paper to High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes.

Arian sucks thoughtfully on his teeth.

You say, "Where did that slip go."

Arix points accusingly at Arian.

Niina gives a lost slip of weathered paper to you.

Arian points accusingly at Niina.

You read what is written on a lost slip of weathered paper:
...death sits most heavily
not upon those who die, but those who remain -
so it was for Elyn and Banon. His twin lost...

You say, "Banon."

You ponder the situation.

A pixie giggles and flies up into the branches of the Moonhart Mother Tree, disappearing in a flash
of green.

Arix says, "...death sits most heavily not upon those who die, but those who remain -so it was for
Elyn and Banon. His twin lost..."

You say, "Any others?"

Arix says, "So Elyn is Banon's twin I guess."

Showing that he understands, Arian nods his head slowly.

You say, "Were there any other slips?"

Arix says, "Are any of these names familiar? I feel like I should know them for some reason."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "So someone Elyn and Banon knew died?"

Arian gives 5 lost slips of weathered paper to you.

...death sits most heavily
not upon those who die, but those who remain -
so it was for Elyn and Banon. His twin lost...

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I thought I knew Banon as being a relative of
Glinshari."

...the fire of grief
that surged deep within her mistress and now,
forever, was entwined within her own form.
Perhaps it was she who went to Banon...

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "But now I'm not sure."

...grown from the Mother Moonhart,
planted by the first druid and watered by his
family; his family - the family he...

Barrin says to you, "Isnt Banon a druid?"

Some cheered; others frowned. Amidst the crowd
a lone druid felt his heart clench up with fear.
Her name was Calarin...

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Would make sense."

Arix says, "Wait."

You say, "I believe so."

Arix says, "In the collegium, isn't there a banon?"

Arian's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "Is there?"

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Well, it did say 'planted by the first
Druid and tended by his family."

Arix says, "That name sounds damn familiar."

...a banshee
summoned by one of the nearby coven -
then he saw her red eyes, her curling lips.
"He has taken victory," Caihnari replied.

...took our most precious gift," the druid said,
"and twisted it into an instrument of torture."
Banon's eyes flew wide...
You say, "Three seem to line up."

Barrin says, "I'll find more pixies then."

You nod your head emphatically.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "So Banon has nothing to do with Starleaf?"

You tilt your head curiously.

You say to Arian, "Perhaps, the name sounds familiar."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "And these notes, they are talking about what - pre-
Taint Wars?"

Arix says, "Elyn does too."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "I think so."

Arix says, "Elyn Darkstar, of Gloriana."

Arian nods his head at Arix.

Arix blinks.

Arix says, "Ok that came from nowhere."

An armoured owl soars into the sky and flies around in a few circles.

Niina tilts her head and listens intently to Arix.

You say, "The section naming Calarin, it seems to lead into the one mentioning a gift, then the part
about the banshee."

Arix says, "There was a part about something summoned."

Arix says, "Are we writing these down somewhere?"

You say, "The banshee."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says to Arix, "See that's where I was going, before Cataka
said I heard that from a crazy person."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Yes, a banshee with red eyes."

You say, "Caihnari."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes sticks out his tongue and says, "Rhymes with Glinshari?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Ok so we have a nut from the Moonhart planted by
Glinshari and tended to by his family."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "It said he has taken victory, after
mentioning the banshee."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Who is he, I wonder."

You say, "That could be the gift?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Someone who perhaps went to Banon, consumed by grief."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Elyn and Banon, and a lost twin."

Niina ponders the situation.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "A summoned banshee, and Caihnari saying someone stole victory."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "And a "greatest gift" turned into a weapon of destruction."

You say, "Not stolen, taken."

Showing that she understands, Niina nods her head slowly.

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "I feel like I know about this."

You say, "Someone took the most precious gift."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "I wish my memory were better."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes looks thoughtful and says, "I'm trying to think if I remember reading about any awful weapons pre-Taint Wars."

Niina purses her lips, deep in thought.

Sondayga, riding Nolan, the Lunar Hare, leaves to the north, bringing with him a silver entourage of spectral ancestors.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes whispers, "And um, anyone know how old Miakoda is?"

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart's eyes twinkle enchantingly.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes whispers, "Who could have sworn her to secrecy?"

Cataka Hurosh coughs softly.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "Old enough to be able to hear you, dear."

Arian glances askance.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says to Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart, "I mean, you look -great-, so it's impossible to tell."

Arian whistles appreciatively.

Questioningly, Cataka Hurosh says, "You understand, High Wiccan, she is the spirit of the Moonhart Mother? She is as old as it, and being a spirit - well, time matters naught to her."

A flurry of golden sparks trail behind the pixie as it flies up into the branches, leaving a pale
scrap of paper in its wake.

You say, "As ageless and beautiful as the forest itself."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes laughingly says, "Well that doesn't narrow down who could have sworn her to secrecy."

Comprehension flashes across Niina's face.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

Arian tilts his head and listens intently to Niina.

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Strongleaf."

You say, "Would someone have that new slip?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I knew it!"

"Nice!" Niina says to Arian with an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Arian gives a lost slip of weathered paper to you.

Barrin says, "Not many pixies about at the moment."

Niina purses her lips, deep in thought.

So do I scribe this tale of Banon Strongleaf,
who would have waged a war alone
in the name of vengeance...

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "He destroyed a village."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes exclaims, "Because his wife died!"

Arian paces around, tapping his chin with wide eyes as he murmurs to himself.

Reading from the slip, you say, "So do I scribe this tale of Banon Strongleaf, who would have waged
a war alone in the name of vengeance..."

The wind whistles eerily through the trees.

A young stag with a fluffy black tail trots in from the ether.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks you, "Could I see them all again, please?"

You give 6 lost slips of weathered paper to High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes.

A flurry of golden sparks trail behind the pixie as it flies up into the branches, leaving a pale scrap of paper in its wake.

Arix picks up a lost slip of weathered paper.

You say, "Hrm, it would seem that one is the first. Banon Strongleaf."

You say to Arix, "May I?"

Arian tilts his head and listens intently to Arix.

Arix gives a lost slip of weathered paper to you.

...to say "See,
I have grown a weapon that shall cull
these murderers from the world they cannot take!"

Arix says, "He mentions growing a weapon."

Reading from the slip, you say, "...to say "See, I have grown a weapon that shall cull these murderers from the world they cannot take!""

Barrin looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I'm pretty sure Banon destroyed, or at least tried to, a whole village because his wife was killed."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Ugh, why can't I remember where I read things."

Arian slumps down dejectedly.

Barrin pats Arix in a friendly manner.

You say, "Was there a slip mentioning his wife? I did not see it."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes smiles impishly and says, "I'm over here."

Arix peers at Barrin unscrupulously.

Arian grins mischievously at Barrin.

Barrin pats Arian in a friendly manner.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "No no, I just recall that from somewhere."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I wish I knew of a Strongleaf still alive, somewhere."

Eolae ponders the situation.

You say, "Wisdom."

You say, "She rests in the Hartstone grove, within the ethereal realm."

"Oh?" Arian exclaims quizzically.

Finger extended, Arian pokes Astrasia.

You say, "She is the one who brought the gift of the Wildewood to the forest."

Comprehension flashes across Barrin's face.

Finger extended, Astrasia pokes Arix.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks Astrasia, "Can you take us?"

Astrasia nods her head emphatically.

Arix says, "Ok why are peope following me?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says to Arix, "Because they keep missing me."

Astrasia Starleaf says, "Because Arix is awesome?"

Arian bursts into a fit of giggles, ending with an abrupt and surprising snort.

The corners of Niina's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Niina beams elatedly and proffers a chipper "Yep!" to signify her input on the matter.

Astrasia Starleaf asks, "Everyone following?"

Arian nods his head affirmatively.

Barrin nods his head emphatically.

You say, "Though, those who are not Hartstone may not be able to enter her particular grove."

Arix says, "Well at least it's not random Munsia tongue action."

Astrasia ponders the situation.

Arian peers at Arix unscrupulously.

Arix says, "Arimisia."

Comprehension flashes across Arian's face.

Arian utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

Astrasia shrugs helplessly.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Gross."

"Ooohhhhhhhhhh," says Niina.

Astrasia Starleaf says, "Off we go."

**Moving to Wisdom**

Arix says, "Beyond description."

"Ooohhhhhhhhhh," says Arian.

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "That must have been awful."

Arix says, "Take someone who has never heard of dental hygiene, make them tainted and undead and
loboshigaru."

Astrasia inclines her head politely to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.
Lifting her branch-like arm high in a salute, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "The war may
not be crashing in all around me anymore, but I can still feel the hearts of dominators being
crushed in my hands..."
Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir clenches her thick, strong hand, her expression revealing pleasure
at the sensation.

Arian greets Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir with a sincere smile.
Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "Be gone from here, lest you incur the wrath of the Wilde."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Oh dear."

You smile softly.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Erm, pardon the intrusion."

Arian frets over everything that might go wrong.

Niina smiles softly.

You smile and say to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir, "Greetings, it has been sometime."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir's roots coil tighter into the branches, and she examines the sudden crowd with wariness.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "But uh, we were hoping you could offer some wisdom," and quickly stifles a laugh before continuing, "about some history.""

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "What is it that you wish?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "The pixies of the forest - we have found them with some slips of paper that hints at a story from long ago."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "A story involving Elyn, and Banon - and a gift turned into a weapon of torture?"

Niina looks up curiously.

Barrin says, "And of growing a weapon."

Arian nods his head at Barrin.

You say, "The slips name Banon a Strongleaf."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "We have the slips if you would like to read them for yourself?"
It takes some time for an expression to coalesce upon Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir's gnarled face, just visible betwixt the veils of thick blossoms. When it does, it is a wide-eyed stare of understanding.

In a soft murmur, like the ripple of leaves, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "That name... you should not know that name."

Arian purses his lips, glancing at his gathered friends with concern in his eyes.

You say to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir, "There have been aspects of our history lost to us before, perhaps the forest has decided it is time for us to remember?"

Niina gives Arian a concerned look.

Rustling emanates from Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir as she shifts on the spot, the movement all the more noticeable for how still she usually stands.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "The aspects of our past that are hidden from us are hidden
for a reason."

Showing that he understands, Barrin nods his head slowly.

You say, "Aye, this is true."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir lets out a slow, heavy sigh. "Who are we to decide if it is time for them to be revealed?"

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "The pixies decided we should know, for what reason is unknown to us."

Niina smiles softly at Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Nothing can remain hidden forever...perhaps there is a lesson to be learned."

Arian nods his head at Niina.

The bark above Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir's eyes knots together in a thick frown.

Very softly, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "This could have."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "But we are here, now. Knowledge of the past gives power to those in the present."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "What...what is it that the pixies have shown you? These names - they should not know them."

You tilt your head and listen intently to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I will show you the slips I have."

Niina nods her head sagely.

Arix says, "Seems like someone had a book lying around and the pixies got ahold of it."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I'm not sure the pixies even knew what they were holding."

The claw-like ends of Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir's branches reach out and clasp the slips with careful reverence. One by one she slowly holds them up before her veiled face, the mists around her shifting with the movement.

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says to Arian, "I have found the pixies know much more than they would have us believe."

You watch, waiting, as the Wildewood takes in the words. Her expression becomes thicker and thicker with emotion as she reads, the contortion of her bark so severe as to be unnatural. Eventually she lowers the slips back down. Sap glistens a slender trail beneath her veils.

With a slow nod to Niina, Arian shows his understanding.

Her voice little more than a whistling wind, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "This...this is the Darkseed."

You crease your brow in a frown.

Arian lifts his eyebrow slightly, curious.

You say, "The Darkseed... a grown weapon."

Barrin shivers violently.

The pointed tips of Niina's ears twitch to some errant sound.

Comprehension flashes across Eolae's face.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "What...what is a Darkseed?"

You tilt your head curiously at Arian.

You say, "A technique of the Hartstone."

Dedicant Eolae, of the Hart says to Arian, "It is a curse that plants a seed within the bodies of our foes."

You say, "Once implanted into the target it will cause vines to violently burst from within their bodies and entangle them."

With an unexpected surge of movement, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir places the slips back into Arian's hand - her branches whipping past so quickly that they stir the mists around her into flurries.

Arian rubs his chin thoughtfully, raises his eyebrow and says, "I see..."

Looking visibly shocked, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "This...this is the story of how it came to be. A story that was kept secret, safe, it should have been - it should not be known."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir's form creaks as she shifts, looking upon each of you in turn - her eyes darting from Arian all the way through to Barrin and Saran.

Arix says, "Makes one wonder who had this stuff ust lying around, doesn't it?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I...I don't want to push too hard, for knowledge I shouldn't know. But, if you would tell us, I am curious.."

Almost to herself, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "This is not how it was."

Eolae nods his head and listens with a furrowed brow.

Barrin says, "Mmhm, Aeldra would like to join us."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir lets out a long, slow breath that fills the grove with gently fragranced mist. "Understand," she says, at length, "that there are many things I know from - from before. From my timeline. Things that have not happened here in the same way."

Arian tilts his head and listens intently to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "I do not speak of them, for to do so could be to break your timeline - a timeline that has stayed safe, despite the workings of...Them."

Rustling surrounds Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir as she shudders from crown to root.

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Oh."

Niina ponders the situation.

Laughing nervously, High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Well, wait a minute here. If speaking of this story could change time and reality as we know it - maybe we shouldn't."

Aeldra inclines her head politely to those around her.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "But perhaps - perhaps it is time. This is not how things happened in my timeline, but..."

Eolae tilts his head and listens intently to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

You say, "Perhaps the events you remember happened, relatively, before whatever has occurred that resulted in The Darkseed being found by the pixies?"

Aeldra tilts her head slightly and listens.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir tilts her trunk, looking up at the sky and basking for a moment in the sunlight. As if drawing strength from it, she returns her gaze to you. "The Darkseed is both a poem and the title given to the man it is about," she explains, her voice slow and redolent. "It is the story of Banon Strongleaf, and his part in the time we now call the Nature Wars."

You shudder violently as a chill ripples down your spine.

Aeldra shivers violently.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "Banon had a twin, a brother named Elyn. As was the fate of many in that time, Elyn was slain by Imperial forces...and it hurt Banon very deeply."

Aeldra creases her brow in a frown.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "The empire of old has wrought has many losses, one tragic one after the other."

Barrin nods his head at Aeldra, showing his acceptance.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir creaks as she shifts, the mists around her beginning to drift out across the ground. "He became consumed by his grief - a grief which was only encouraged by the companion who joined him thereafter. She was a banshee, once; her name was Caihnari. Together they grew a weapon which would decimate the Imperial forces."

Her features creasing into sudden anger, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "But Banon was not granted the power to do so; he stole it." Her voice, though still languid, now holds a sharp edge to it. "Stole it from something that it was his duty to protect."

You say, "The gift from Mother to Glinshari?"

Showing that he understands, Eolae nods his head slowly.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir stills, as if becoming aware of her own agitation. "Yes," she sighs, her rustling fading. "Perhaps...perhaps it is better if you see for yourselves. Then you will understand."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn frowns and says, "That is a bad chip of history... creating a weapon from stolen power."

Arian lifts his eyebrow slightly, curious.

Curiosity and concerns flashing across his face, High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "If we...see it?"

Barrin shuffles his feet uneasily.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "Yes. I cannot say for certain that this will work, but - I can tell you what was done in my timeline to reveal it."

Dedicant Eolae, of the Hart whispers to Aeldra, "It seems that there are dark secrets beneath the soil."

You tilt your head and listen intently to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir, "It is worth to try and see, for it to be a secret no longer, even though some secrets are a burden to be revealed."

Aeldra shimmers with incandescent energy as the images of the Nine Seals blaze into existence along her arms. After a long moment they fade, though her eyes blaze with light for some time after.

Shifting her crown, Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "Very well. You are familiar, I am sure, with the birdsong that may wake the Great Spirit Chuchip?"

Arian nods his head affirmatively at Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir.

Aeldra shakes her head.

Eolae shakes his head.

Aeldra coughs softly.

Aeldra nods her head emphatically.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I of course do recall that..., a moment of confusion there."

Arian's eyes sparkle with amusement at Aeldra.

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir says, "Gather that song, as if you were to awaken him - but do not go to him. Go further into the cairns, to where the foliage drapes close to the ground, full of briars and brambles. The cairns that are so weathered that you can barely read the names."

With a slow nod to Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir, Aeldra shows her understanding.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "That certainly can be done."

Wisdom Strongleaf, the Final Heir exhales slowly, the mists around her dancing. "There you will find the cairn of Calarin Strongleaf. She...she will be able to help you, I hope. She helped us."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says to Astrasia, "I believe we're all still following you. Would you like to lead the way?"

You say to Barrin, "Perhaps you can gather the song, I will locate the Cairn?"

Barrin nods his head emphatically.

Astrasia Starleaf says, "Thank you, Wisdom."

You smile softly.

With a flourish of his arm, Arian bows deeply.

**Moving, Searching, Finding the Cairn**

Dedicant Eolae, of the Hart says, "Briars covering the pathway."

Niina nods her head emphatically.

Astrasia Starleaf asks you, "What do you think?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "There is a Strongleaf cairn southwest."

Arian shrugs helplessly.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Soon find out once Barrin gets here."

Hopping out of Barrin's arms, a song sparrow suddenly bursts into song, warbling out a complex melody: telling tales of times long past; peoples since forgotten; loves lost and victories painfully bought. Of war and battle and desperate measures - the song of the Nature Wars, in purest melody.

Arix says, "Aramir, the one who played at the wedding of Glinshari."

Arix says, "I think."

You say to Arix, "His Brother."

Aeldra ponders the situation.

And in the wake of the song, delicate skeins of lambency begin to fill the air, coiling up from a cairn so ancient as to be almost unmarked. One by one they wrap into a translucent spirit, who sways on the spot as if made dizzy by the summonation.

Her voice echoing as if travelling a great distance, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "Why... am I awoken? Who calls me from my slumber?"

Arian's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Greetings, Calarin Strongleaf. We of the Serenwilde have awoken you."

Barrin says, "We call you from your slumber, suggested by Wisdom Strongleaf."

You say, "The Darkseed, slips of it have fallen into the hands of the pixies of this forest and in turn have found their way to us."

Alarm flares in the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf's translucent features, and she takes an instinctual step back against the stone beneath her.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "But we took all of the copies - we kept them safe, hidden - we found all of them..."

Eolae opens his eyes wide with shock.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I fear that may not be the case, or at least some part of it has been revealed."

Turning her face away, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "I am sorry. We - I - have failed to protect you from this knowledge. It is a tale should never have been told again."

Niina waves good-bye and disappears from sight.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "It is not a personal transgression, Calarin. History yearns to be retold - it is the way of things."

Niina nods her head in agreement.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf lifts her head again, her braid falling to trail down her back. "This should never be retold," she says, her voice cooling and turning hard. "To protect that which we are bound to protect - that which he stole. If others found out what it could do, it would not be safe."

Barrin says, "To Calarin I am sorry to burden you, but may we hear it? Fragments have now washed upon our consciousness that demands to ease our curiosity."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Perhaps we can see it to safety once again."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Perhaps it is time for others to protect it, now."

Niina smiles softly.

Arian nods his head at Niina, showing his acceptance.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "Believe me, I have had this argument many times - with him most of all. But I was right. I was right, but I did not realise that it needed protecting from -him-, of all people. My own cousin..."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Some knowledge can not be wrought from the world, no matter how dangerous it is considered. Something will draw it out again, as we see it happening then. Some things can not be forgotten, no matter how much one may wish so."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf gives a pained sigh.

Closing her eyes briefly and focusing, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "But the veil holds, at least. At least there is that."

Showing that he understands, Eolae nods his head slowly.

Arix says, "At least, this information got out to a relatively small group of people and was quickly contained."

Barrin hugs Urdnot compassionately.

Arix says, "As more people arrive."

Urdnot hugs Barrin compassionately.

Niina gives Urdnot a friendly squeeze.

You say, "One of your descendants crossed time many years ago, helping to save this world from destruction. It is she that told us to come here, that in her timeline the gift was eventually revealed."

Urdnot greets the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf with a sincere smile.

Aeldra inclines her head politely to Urdnot.

For the first time, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf starts to become aware of her surroundings. She lifts her head, regaining her proud bearing, and looks over each of you in turn. Her gaze lingers slightly upon those of the Starleaf family, her eyes gleaming with curiosity. "Is that so?"

You say, "Aye, the knowledge was not revealed in her time yet the gift was revealed."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "In the end, she said something..."

Eyes widening, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "It - it was? But I am the only one who could have dropped the veil."

You say, "Indeed, she sent us to you to see if you would help us to do so."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "About wanting to see it again, I suppose she meant the gift."

Arix says, "Time travel is a guaranteed headache."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

Her brow knotted deeply, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "You seem hardened, but not like we were. How much time has passed? Were the Imperials driven back?"

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "The last I remember..."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf shivers violently.

Arix says, "The Celestine Empire no longer exists."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "To calarin The empire is no more. It crumbled... a long time ago."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "It is an entirely new era."

Very softly, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "The forest broke. The forest broke, and there was darkness."

Aeldra shudders violently.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn asks, "That does not sound very inviting. In which way... how could it ... break?"

You say to Aeldra, "The road was not always there..."

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "The road and eastern serenwilde."

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "Slaghora ruin."

You say, "To calarin We have united the forest though, the wound remains, but an Elder god using a powerful artifact helped us to reunite the north and south, we are whole again though scarred."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "They took our forest and cleaved it in two. It was the last thing I saw." She turns away for a moment, looking at the stones around her. "It is...to know the forest is whole again, is..."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf closes her eyes for a moment. "That knowledge is a precious gift. Thank you."

You smile softly.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Yes, that wound remains to this day... yet as Saran says... the parts of the forest have been brought together again."

Aeldra's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Turning back towards you, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "Our family were keepers of something. This gift that you speak of - it was granted to one of our strongest ancestors. He planted it, and it grew; the child of a great tree. It was our charge to defend it against all things."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf creases her brow in a frown.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "We could not risk it being taken by the Imperials, but none of us wished to lose it. It had been our home for so long. Banon and I argued for weeks about what we should do."

Niina tilts her head and listens intently.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf turns her head, looking off into the distance. "So we hid it," she says, placing one hand above her heart. "To stop them from claiming it. We wove a veil, and I sealed it. I doubt even the Maiden herself could tell you where it is not."

Showing that she understands, Aeldra nods her head slowly.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn asks, "You speak of a child of the Tree of Trees, Calarin?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I think she means Moonhart - at least, that's what one of the slip of papers mentioned."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf lowers her head. "Of sorts. A grandchild, you might say. Born of the fruit of the Mother Moonhart."

Niina nods her head sagely.

Placing her hand on the totem beside her, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "More than these, and less than the Mother itself."

Softly, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "You can understand, I hope, why we kept it from you."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn asks, "I don't think I've ever noticed the grandchildren of the great tree. The empire was after them?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I think I can speak for all of us when we see we bear no ill will toward you, for your actions."

Arian smiles softly at the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "We did not know for sure, but we could not risk that it was. Banon thought we could win the war - I did not. I could not take the risk. Many agreed with me, and after Banon...after he..."

Aeldra creases her brow in a frown.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf's hands clutch into fists at her sides, and she exhales thinly. "After he was exiled, we raised the veil."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I think there was wisdom in hiding them from the empire... after all we know, they would've taken anything that would've gained them something. By force if neccessary."

Barrin nods his head at Aeldra, showing his acceptance.

You say, "Aye, it was many years before the empire fell. The veil protected the gift against them at the height of their power."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf nods her head emphatically.

"Banon always used to say that Glinshari would not have wanted the tree hidden," the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says after a moment, looking back down at the cairns around her. "That he had grown it to be a home for us, and that by hiding it we were turning our back on what he did for us. Even on the Hearth Finder herself."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn asks, "I have woken late to what message the pixies carried, so.. I may be unsure. Are they in danger? the grandchildren of the mother tree?"

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn frowns and says, "I mean... there must be a reason why we learn of this now, after all these decades."

You crease your brow in a frown.

Her eyes gleaming with ethereal moisture, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "Is it time for us to go home, uncle? Is it time, at last?"

Arix thrusts his palm towards his forehead and hits it with a resounding *smack*!

Aeldra raises an eyebrow at Arix.

You say, "Glinshari would have wanted what is best for nature, not to see it desecrated. To conceal it protected not only the tree but the world from what could have happened if it the imperials took it, this forest from what might have happened if they tried to."

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf pauses for a moment, as if genuinely hoping for a reply - from Glinshari, from the forest itself. Then she chuckles, and shakes her head at herself, sending her tears flying. "I think, sometimes, that he left to ensure we would learn to think for ourselves."

Niina smiles softly at the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn asks, "Sometimes, guidance can be as dangerous as it can do good, is it not?"

Showing that she understands, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf nods her head slowly.

You say to the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf, "Would you like to go home then?"

A bright smile turns the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf's features suddenly, lighting up her weary and tear-streaked face.

Your mouth turns up as your face breaks into a smile.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf says, "No, child. It is not time for me to go home. It is time for you to."

Aeldra's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Barrin smiles softly.

You tilt your head curiously.

The gentle luminescence that envelops the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf flares with power as she kneels, resting the head of her cudgel against the ground and placing her hands atop its hilt.

Arian lifts his eyebrow as he tilts his head at the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf, offering a deeply curious expression.

Barrin tilts his head curiously.

Throughout the Serenwilde, the sounds of the forest fall briefly silent - as if all living things within its eaves were listening, even the trees themselves.

Then light - a blossoming peal of energy that spills up from the southwestern reaches of the forest, drawing gasps from onlookers. It gathers just above the crowns of the trees until it looks as if it can grow no more - only then does it ripple out over the entirety of the forest, sound returning in its wake.

Niina's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Aeldra watches with curiousity, her eyes turned towards the tree crowns.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf shudders, her form becoming almost impossible to see. "It is done," she says, getting to her feet. "Where the stags mark the trees; there you will find it."

You make a beckoning motion to no-one in particular.

Its task done, the song sparrow takes off to the skies and flutters elsewhere.

Niina squeals in excitement.

Astrasia nods her head at you.

You smile and say to the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf, "Rest well."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Let us see, then."

Arian bows respectfully to the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf.

Aeldra inclines her head politely to the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf.

You bow respectfully to the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf.

The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf smiles gently as she fades from view. "Keep it safe," she whispers, dissolving into nothing but echoes of mist.

Astrasia Starleaf says, "To Calarin thank you."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "To spirit Thank you for your aid, Calarin Strongleaf."

**Moving Moving, A new exit appears on the map!**

Before an ancient moonhart.
Ancient trees encircle this quiet glade, their thick branches creating a dense canopy high above, letting only slender shafts of light penetrate to the ground below. At its heart grows an enormous moonhart tree: second only to the Mother in age and size, the bark of the tree bears countless markings that dance around it. Massive roots take up much of the space in the grove, offering more opportunities to trip over than stable ground to stand on. Through the closely gathered trunks of the encircling trees, small paths twist away to a clearing that can barely be seen in the distance.

As you step through the fading veil into the hidden corner of the forest, your eyes fall at once upon the towering, ancient moonhart that stands before you - and the strangest thing happens.

You say, "We are... here."

You feel a sudden surge of deja-vu; it fills you with the certain knowledge that you have been here before. And yet...you never have.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Odd."

Saran shakes his head in confusion.

It looks as if no one has trodden these paths for centuries, be they mortal or animal. No prints can be found in the ground, which is layered with leaves that have long since decayed to form a thick layer of compost. Your sudden presence disturbs the quiet and sends ripples through the stillness of this ancient grove.

Curiously, you say, "I feel... I have been here before."

Astrasia nods her head in agreement.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I have no recollection of this place, but then I'm far younger then both of you."

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "I got a sense of being here before."

You say, "I have never walked this part of the forest though..."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "Shall we continue on?"

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Maybe there's more to be gleaned."

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "Deja vu without the original vu."

Barrin says, "Lead us, brother."

**Checking out the nearby clearing**

A placid clearing within the wilde.
A wide clearing in the forest has formed here, flowers growing wildly under the naked sky above as small animals dart to and fro disturbing the otherwise serene grove. Like sentinels, a large ring of trees grows at the edges of the field, their thick trunks interweaved with vines forming a natural barrier to those who would seek entrance to this space uninvited. The ground slopes upward slightly as it nears the heart of the clearing, leaving the centre of the grove to stand above the rest.

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I could've sworn..."

Arix says, "Ok why can't I follow anyone?"

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "Or tell people anything."

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "Same."

You say, "Hrm, perhaps it is a remainder of the veil."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Maybe because of the veil?"

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "It may be this place, the remnants of the veil that was mentioned."

Barrin says, "I think that is it."

You say, "I think I will return to the tree."

**Going back to the first room**

Oaylee Niina Yfae'dren, Daughter of the Winter Woods says, "I can't nod, even. That's uncomfortable."

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "Same."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Yes, I feel quite stiff."

You say, "What did Calarin mean, that it was time for us to go home?"

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I am unsure myself."

Arix says, "Can anyone here fly?"

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Yes."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "I think it's clear this whole thing is linked to the Starleaf family. Are either of you getting any more feelings?"

You say, "Hrm, I feel nothing more..."

Barrin says, "Just a sense that we have been or known this before."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Odd."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "I can not rightly make sense of this meaning. This is ... a grandchild of the mooonhart?"

Barrin says, "This is a massive moonhart tree here."

Saran looks closely at the ancient tree, wandering around it with overt wonder on his face.

Great Chieftain Urdnot Starleaf says, "A child of our nexus."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "Yes, hard to miss. I just... I wonder."

Barrin says, "I wonder if it has the similar powers to take us somewhere?"

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "To barrin if so.. how would we invoke such power."

As you examine the tree closely, you notice a number of names enscribed on the bark. A few leap out to your vision immediately: Glinshari Strongleaf. Calarin Strongleaf.

Arix says, "I cannot sense a gate."

Arix says, "Aha."

You say, "Glinshari's name... Calarin."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Oh."

Kneeling down, you follow the whorls of the bark until you find a name that is familiar, yet unfamiliar - Barrin Strongleaf.

Arix says, "Wha."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Uh."

You say, "Barrin..."

Arix says, "That's odd."

High Wisdom Aeldra Ladyn, Dancer of Autumn says, "That most definitely is ..."

You say, "To barrin We are home..."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes laughingly says, "Where is he?"

Arix says, "Here."

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes asks, "Where'd he go?"

Arix says, "He's right over there."

Barrin says, "It seens we are in front of the entrance to our ancestors."

And next to it, another: Saran Strongleaf. Below them, even more - one by one, each Starleaf finds their own name inscribed upon the bark.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Oh - seems I have a hard time looking at people closely, too."

With a wistful look on his face, Urdnot touches ancient, silvery bark.
Urdnot's fingers gently brush against a carving on the bark of the ancient moonhart. Whispers echo just on the edge of hearing as their form becomes vague and ethereal as they ascend rapidly into the canopy above.

With a wistful look on his face, Barrin touches ancient, silvery bark.
Barrin's fingers gently brush against a carving on the bark of the ancient moonhart. Whispers echo just on the edge of hearing as their form becomes vague and ethereal as they ascend rapidly into the canopy above.

High Wiccan Arian, Crimson Feathercakes says, "Ohhh."

Comments

• Oh and a description of Calarin

Little more than an echo of the druid she once was, the spirit of Calarin Strongleaf is nonetheless an impressive figure. She wears leather armour that, though translucent, has a faint viridian hue and is covered with elegant silver scrollwork. A vine-wreathed cudgel is clasped in her hand, and her square features have a natural severity to them even when relaxed. Her hair bears none of the lustre of life, but retains its sandy hue, and has been pulled back into a thick side braid.
    The spirit of Calarin Strongleaf almost glows with nearly god-like power.
  • There is probably more bits and pieces, I was a little giddy and running all over the place so I was popping in and out of conversations >_> but I remember some talk about "The Darkseed" that others might have captured
  • Ah, t hanks for posting from the Starleaf perspective, some of us were wondering about that
  • Also I would have chimed in a bit more but I didn't want to ruin the serious mood with accidental irreverence
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Damn I missed it! So happy to see it come to pass, all your hard work was highly appreciated <3

• hee, got to shock @Lehki with the news of what had happened today.

I also really love that we have a copy of The Darkseed, it was unexpected but a really good read ^_^
  • #Necro

This was a great read. I wish, I was playing Lusty back then. Despite I never thought I was into any lore, I loved the Dark Seed! Enchanting bit is finding out stories those are somewhat proximate my character, I believe. Beautifully done, all writers behind the scenes!

"Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian