What is the idea behind raiding?

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Literally the only time I've raided in the past two weeks is because @Ciaran or someone is dragging me along, and he always has me check farscout first to see if there are any defenders around (that's why some of you may have noticed I ping your aethersights regularly).
    See you in Sapience.
  • You can't make accusations without evidence.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Kind of hard to show proof for it if you're not killing the daughters :S
    Your numbers today are:
  • Yarith said:

You can't make accusations without evidence.

Umm, Hello stranger, welcome to the Internets. You obviously haven't been around here before....
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited July 2016
    Kind of hard to prove something which doesn't occur too
    - Also I kill daughters. All the time.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • ( ͡o ʖ̯ ͡o )
    Your numbers today are:
  • Get a Blacktalon to check their logs. We usually hit Aspects, not Daughters, because whenever Ciaran gets the itch to raid the defenders present are Versalean and Dylara.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Sadly, until somebody takes a serious look at Wyrdenwood the most I can do for your PvP itch is to provide a dry cornhole.

My name's Versalean, and I mix my metaphors.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Twytch said:

Get a Blacktalon to check their logs. We usually hit Aspects, not Daughters, because whenever Ciaran gets the itch to raid the defenders present are Versalean and Dylara.

... so you are acknowledging that the itch to raid generally occurs when you know that there are few defenders. :p
  • edited July 2016
    Tbh I don't think there's anything wrong with raiding a plane that has no defenders.
  • 2v2, with discretionaries and possibly a meld? That's not exactly an overwhelming advantage on our end. We don't raid -at all- if no one shows up on farscout (discounting the people AFK in manses, of course).
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited July 2016
    Nevermind
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    If you say so! People generally like to have the opportunity to defend their territory though.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Twytch said:

2v2, with discretionaries and possibly a meld? That's not exactly an overwhelming advantage on our end. We don't raid -at all- if no one shows up on farscout (discounting the people AFK in manses, of course).

Alert Alert, bullshit sensor is going off, bullshit sensor is going off, @Twytch has been attacked in 1v1 odds without discretionaries and shrines and continually runs from several different people. Cover your noses because the bullshit is going to be deadly to your nasal cavities.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Twytch just means that 2 defenders is the minimum. Note, I don't count Dylara any more, so it's way harder to find times to raid.

I've never seen a defender and said 'woop, not going'.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • All the hate is amusing, though. :D
    See you in Sapience.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Nah bro, it's just fun to point out how full of shit you are.

but keep thinking you're important enough to hate :)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • You spend so much time posting about how apparently I don't fight anyone, ever, a guy gets mixed signals!

See you in Sapience.
  • Keep me out of it please.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Versalean said:

Sadly, until somebody takes a serious look at Wyrdenwood the most I can do for your PvP itch is to provide a dry cornhole.

I'll raid your dry cornhole.
  • PEW PEW! Look at those impressive deflections by @Twytch.
  • We should have a fight some time soon, a lot of the North is around when a lot of the South is.
    Your numbers today are:
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Here's my actual, nonpartisan, nonsmartass answer.

There are some people who raid because they like to test their skills and refine them. These people just want to be better, and they usually want to help others around them get better.

There are some people who raid because they like to fight. These people also tend to encourage others around them to get better, and they also tend to try and help their adversaries get better so they're more of a challenge.

There are some people who raid simply to cause mischief. They're only interested in pvp if they can kill the person without much of a struggle, and they tend to run if presented with an actual fight, or an evenly skilled opponent. This sorts of person will boast about their skill when they kill someone, but if they get killed, it's because the enemy had way more people, or their enemy's skills are too strong/too easy to use. These are the sorts of people who kill elemental lords/aspects but run if defenders come, and they're the kind of person who will kick and run godrealms/mobs without fighting whoever comes to defend, because once again, they're not looking for an actual fight. They're looking for self validation, sort of.

Then, there's the kind of person like myself who don't raid often, and are more of a defender type person. We tend to be in the majority.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ciaran said:

I've never seen a defender and said 'woop, not going'.

This is admirable and how more people should be.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Versalean said:

Sadly, until somebody takes a serious look at Wyrdenwood the most I can do for your PvP itch is to provide a dry cornhole.

Wyrdenwood is ultimately a non-pyro chemwood spec so there isn't much of a win condition in 1v1, but in groups it's the best for hindering by far.

Don't sell it short.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2016
    It's generally only some of the best hindering because you don't have anything to do and can spam things like vines (or noose) and shieldstun constantly. Sads.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    This is true. Last time I was in a defense I just starting attacking a head and magically got the last hit. Nothing to do with skill at all, but every so often, we support / cannon fodder peeps get lucky too.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Let's ease back and look at the context of the conversation we're having. I never said that Wyrdenwood was useless (because I'm currently having great fun testing synergies) or that it wasn't good at support. I actually totally agree with what @Falmiis says that in groups it's lolz, though, sadly, for the very reason @Enyalida gave.

I said that that, being a WW means that "Dylara and Versalean are awake, let's raid!" isn't going to end up being fun for anybody. That's a realistic statement, not selling the kit short.

That's totally not a moan; I think folks know I'm willing to have a go and the flavour in WW is sexy enough to make me willing to rough it out. But 1v1, you'll beat me every time, and 2v2... guess what? You'll beat me every time.