Is it okay to totally redefine your character?

I've recently picked Kilee back up and I almost hate playing her because of her personality, would it be world ending if I just sort of...threw what I established as her away and made her actually enjoyable to play?
Your numbers today are:

Comments

• Not at all. People change. So too are characters allowed to change. And if people give you grief, just tell them that you hit your head really hard in the last raid or something like that. Or just woke up from a coma. Or suffer from a severe case of amnesia. Or just say "none of your biznazz" because ultimately the one who decides how your character acts is you yourself.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I could do that, I literally can only remember about 10 things. I couldn't even remember why my song is what it is until Falmiis realized I based it off Higher and Lower Emotions >_>
    Your numbers today are:
  • Well, there you go. After a failed raid on Maeve's larder you got your head stuck in a bucket of amnesia dust. Justification complete. :smiley:
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Kiradawea said:
    Well, there you go. After a failed raid on Maeve's larder you got your head stuck in a bucket of amnesia dust. Justification complete. :smiley:
    The best part of this is there is literally some sort of Amensia Dust that Maeve has stored away. See: Caoimhe Dell Quest.
  • Your character not being around for a while and forgetting things is a perfectly fine IC reason.
  • Vivet said:
    Kiradawea said:
    Well, there you go. After a failed raid on Maeve's larder you got your head stuck in a bucket of amnesia dust. Justification complete. :smiley:
    The best part of this is there is literally some sort of Amensia Dust that Maeve has stored away. See: Caoimhe Dell Quest.
    That's why I suggested it. :wink:
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Girl, break out of the box and be free. You do you, whatever that is.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I redid my older character's personality, so I don't see why not. She used to be shy and modest, after all. But since I'm doing the modest thing with Ashiya now I went and made her the polar opposite for when I want a change of pace.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Totally. Your character should be fun and meaningful for you to play, and if that means a personality adjustment, then go for it. When I first started, I was a teenaged little dip, and thus so was poor Phoebus' personality very grating. Rather than start over, I just had my character grow up and get her act together. I found it a lot more rewarding than trying to pretend nothing had ever happened or abandoning the character altogether. 
  • I absolute agree with everyone else saying that if you want to make a change, go for it. Even a seemingly abrupt change really takes place over the span of in game months, especially if you haven't been playing the character as much. (Could also use spending some extended time with x group in Hallifax or y conclave of NPCs and picked up their philosophies as an excuse)

There may be a bit of an adjustment period while other people who remember the previous personality still expect that personality (for better or worse) . But I expect that it'll pass fairly quickly.

It's a game. Do what's fun.

• I think it's widely agreed upon you should always play the character you desire. Tam would love to meet and know more about his sister, so a soft reset is a perfect way to introduce herself.
  • edited September 2016
    It's totally okay! Part of owning the character is evolving it, whether it just be a change of personality or a change of city. You could completely switch over from being an eeevil, Stewartsville baby-killing Glomdorian who worships Viravain and hates Serenwilde, to being a Hallifaxian scientist who researches how crystals can be grown into aesthetic structures. I'm trying to do it right now myself :smile:

I've seen a bunch of people use Tosha as an excuse, or even the Gaudiguchian Chaos thing. But you don't really even need a huge plot reason to change your character, though it does make it more fun!