Playing Dead

Breandryn is still learning how pretending works and how best to do it around others. Aeldra, Lendren and Thorton teach her a lesson about what are proper topics for pretending.

-----

Your skill in Dramatics has risen to Transcendent.
You have gained the SeventhGestalt ability! To see more information, check out AB DRAMATICS SEVENTHGESTALT.
You have gained the FeignDeath ability! To see more information, check out AB DRAMATICS FEIGNDEATH.

DRAMATICS - FEIGNDEATH

Syntax: PERFORM FEIGNDEATH [NOW]
POWER:  3 (Any)
The greatest performance anyone can achieve is that of the death scene. Once you have readied yourself for this performance, the next time you take damage you will appear to die to everyone in the room. Optionally, you can FEIGNDEATH NOW to immediately die. Until you make any action, you will appear dead in the room.

You feign your death immediately.
With grim, final resolve you gather the mental strength to slay yourself and as a tear drops from your eye, you end your time on this mortal coil by stopping your heart in an instant.

Thorton blinks.

Aeldra blinks.

You have emoted: Breandryn hoarsely whispers up from where she is sprawled on the ground, limbs akimbo, "...Goodbye...farewell, cruel world..."

You have emoted: Breandryn coughs a few times, eyes fluttering closed.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "What... what are you doing!"

Quenoi peers at you unscrupulously.

You have emoted: Breandryn lifts one hand to her forehead, swooning. "Ending it all!" she declares, exhaling a long, shuddering sigh.

In a febrile whisper, you say, "...goodbye..."

You feign your death immediately.
With grim, final resolve you gather the mental strength to slay yourself and as a tear drops from your eye, you end your time on this mortal coil by stopping your heart in an instant.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "Why would you!"

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says to you, "A very dramatic death at that!"

Quenoi chuckles long and heartily.

You have emoted: Breandryn abruptly bounds to her feet, wings fluttering haphazardly. "Did I trick you?!" she asks eagerly, clapping her hands.

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says, "Anyone have a shovel? I think we'll need to bury her."

Thorton ponders the situation.

Aeldra blinks.

Aeldra Ladyn's eyes narrow to thin slits, focusing on you.

You have emoted: "No!" Breandryn insists, eyes widening. She waves her arms about, insisting, "I'm alive! I was just PRE-TEND-ING!"

Someone is impersonating you!
Serenguard Breandryn, Warden of the Moonhart says, "I am insane! the voices!"

Frantically, you say to a fierce timberwolf, "Greypaw! Show them I'm still alive!"

A fierce timberwolf snorts once, attention too focused on his meal of raw meat.

Frowning, clearly confused, you say, "I am not insane!"

Thorton rummages about in his pack for a bit before finding a shovel of his own, driving the business end into the ground.

Serenguard Breandryn, Warden of the Moonhart says, "Oh yes I am! the voices tell me so!"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "That is an uncalled for jest, Breandryn."

You have emoted: Breandryn lets out a loud squeak, shaking her head in alarm. "No I'm not!" she cries, apparently arguing with herself.

Quenoi shakes his head.

Frowning, you say to Thorton, "Don't bury me, please. I am small and would be crushed. I was just practicing my pretending!"

Thorton scratches his head in confusion.

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says, "Awfully talkative for a dead person."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "Doesn't look like you do need much practice."

Thorton ponders you thoughtfully, looking you up and down.

You have emoted: Breandryn frowns, considering Thorton's words. Confused, she asks, "Wait, did I really die?"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks you, "Unless that dead body over there is someone else... ?"

You have emoted: Breandryn sniffles once, but gamely goes along with the reaction. Confused, but slowly nodding at the logic shown by the rest of you, she sits back down in the earth, laying back into her "dead body" sprawl again.

In resignation, you say, "I guess you guys are right..."

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says to you, "Alas, you have passed on, yet you haunt us still!"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Thorton, "Do you think she's becoming one of the spirits?"

You have emoted: Breandryn closes her eyes nervously, holding her breath and pre-emptively flinching as she anxiously awaits the imminent pile of dirt.

Thorton nods his head affirmatively at Aeldra.

You have emoted: Breandryn sniffles again, quietly whispering to herself, "....I don't want to be dead..."

Thorton scoops up a bit of dirt with his shovel, sprinkling it over you.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "Weren't they actually ..."

Aeldra ponders the situation.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "We'll need a cairn."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Thorton, "Do you think you can build us one?"

You have emoted: The dirt hits Breandryn right in the face, and her eyes squint tighter closed. She coughs, spitting out a dusty glob, and then does her best to continue being the dead body she apparently assumes she must be.

Thorton nods his head affirmatively at Aeldra.

Thorton scoops up a handful of pebbles and other small stones from the forest floor, carefully stacking them atop you, marking the site of her grave.

You have emoted: Breandryn squirms a bit, her "corpse" wriggling a few times as she twists an arm out from under her to scratch at her nose. "Itch," she quietly explains, before her eyes close again and she resumes being properly "dead."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "Now I need to remember how cairns are properly build.... ah, Thorton's ahead of me."

Oressi looks on curiously.

You have emoted: "Oof!" Breandryn quietly exhales as the "rocks" are "piled" on her. Her expression contorts, fear twisting into quiet resignation, as she softly murmurs, "...This is fine."

Lendren shifts his eyes suspiciously from side to side.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "I sadly can't remember how it's done."

Aeldra creases her brow in a frown.

You have emoted: Breandryn scratches at her nose again, patiently enduring what she seems to believe is her own funeral.

You have emoted: "When do I become a ghost?" Breandryn quietly asks from beneath the half-hearted pebble cairn.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Thorton, "Do you think that the library has something about talkative near ghosts?"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "I find it a little disturbing that I keep hearing these ... whispers."

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says to you, "Well, if you were one of my ancestors I could sing a song to call you up."

Saz quietly observes, whatever that is happening indeed. His eyebrows lifted with a hint of his slight hesitance. The Elfen male runs a hand through the sleek coat of a reddish brown stag as he guides the animal besides him.

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says to Aeldra, "It's worth some research."

You have emoted: Breandryn lets out an embarrassed squeak, even her ears flushing at her shame at failing to be a proper corpse. She redoubles her efforts, limbs straightening into a stiff approximation of a deader body.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Lendren, "Maybe you could.. could try anyway?"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to Lendren, "The matter seems rather urgent and you are a magnificent spiritsinger after all."

Aeldra looks about herself suspiciously.

You have emoted: "I don't want to be dead," Breandryn mournfully whispers, biting back another sniffle.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "The whispers will drive me insane otherwise."

Sibuna Thorton, Two-hats says to Lendren, "The future of this poor spirit lays in your capable hands!"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Saz, "You're hearing them too, aren't you?"

Aeldra looks about herself suspiciously.

You have emoted: "I'll never pretend to be dead again!" Breandryn whimpers, trying to draw some sort of attention to her perceived plight. "Please just let me be alive, or a ghost maybe. I'll be a really nice ghost."

Lendren ponders the situation.

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says to Aeldra, "Perhaps you should try a resurgem."

A fierce timberwolf sniffs over at the gathered crowd, before dismissing everyone with a snort. His hunk of raw meat is far more interesting.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to Lendren, "We already tried to reach her, it didn't work."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "But sure... we can try a resurgem."

A shaft of silvery light falls across Aeldra's face, who bows her head in reverence.

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says to Aeldra, "With a Spiritsinger in the coven so I can use my song to extend the reach."

Lendren hides a grin behind his hand.

Lost and confused, Saz watches the exchange of words. He watches them far too absently, there happens a pause before he realizes Aeldra has asked him a question. "I... I-" His puzzled face wrinkles further, as he takes a step back.

You have emoted: Breandryn holds her breath, fingers, eyes and probably even toes crossed for good luck.

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says, "I wonder if you could use an ancestral call to bring up the spirit of your descendants that predeceased you."

"Nurture trees of vibrant green eternal." sings Lendren, playing a scuffed mandolin bearing the stories of the road with a glorious harmony.

A ghostly shape rises from the ground, listening to Lendren's song.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to Lendren, "Maybe... I am no expert on these matters, sadly."

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says, "Of course, if this does work, next time I have to post a watcher somewhere it'll probably be her."

Aeldra links hands with Thorton and Lendren, forming a circle.

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says, "Then she'll be stuck standing around watching the archway or something."

You have emoted: Breandryn shakes her head, sniffling again. "Please work..." she mumbles.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to Lendren, "Everyone in our forest has accepted that this may be their fate eventually... I don't think she'd object."

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says, "And she was a Serenguard in life, after all."

Aeldra nods her head at Lendren.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "But first, let us try the resurgem."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks, "Thorton, Lendren. Are you both ready ?"

Thorton nods his head affirmatively.

Aeldra Ladyn looks at Lendren, waiting for an answer.

Lendren nods his head emphatically.

Saz, the Unorthodox Druid sighs, "Lisaera."

Saz coughs softly.

Aeldra Ladyn turns her face skywards, her eyes fixed on the havens, holding hands with Lendren and Thorton.

Saz, the Unorthodox Druid says, "Forgive us."

Saz nods his head sagely.

You have emoted: Breandryn stiffens even more, dead as dead can be.

Tendrils of shimmering argentine light swirl out from Aeldra's hands and coruscate over Breandryn's form, then disappear in a shower of sparks of moonfire leaving tiny scorchmarks behind.

You have emoted: Breandryn kicks her arms and legs as the ritual completes, drawing in a sharp intake of breath. Her arms sweep downwards, shaking away the pebbles and she lets out a happy cheer, awkwardly lurching to her feet. Flapping her wings unevenly, she claps her hands, before she pauses, a flash of fearful uncertainty darkening her expression. "Did...did it work?" she whispers nervously, staring about her.

Quenoi peers about himself unscrupulously.

Quenoi's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Tone anxious, you say, "Am I alive again?!"

Aeldra Ladyn looks from Lendren to Thorton and back, looking uncertain.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "Alright ... that one is odd."

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says to you, "Don't ask me. I'm the only one who could talk to you all along. Spiritsinger and all."

Aeldra ponders you thoughtfully, looking you up and down.

You have emoted: Breandryn nervously stares at Aeldra, awaiting the pronunciation of life.

Thorton reaches out with his paw, lightly poking your nose. "Well, you don't seem to be a ghost."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "I can see and hear you now... and you look very much alive to me."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks, "Though... I still hear a voice whispering... is there someone else trapped?"

Aeldra creases her brow in a frown.

You have emoted: Breandryn exhales slowly, a smile breaking across her face. "Thank the Gods!" she cries, clapping her hands.

Saz lifts his eyebrow as he tilts his head at Aeldra, offering a deeply curious expression.

Saz, the Unorthodox Druid says to Aeldra, "What sort of whispers?"

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to Saz, "Like the one I was hearing from her."

Aeldra points accusingly at you.

A fierce timberwolf flatly watches the entire proceedings, snorting in derision before he flops on one side to take a nap.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks you, "Did you learn a lesson from your little trip to the otherworld, Breandryn?"

Some of the piled rocks shift slightly, pebbles rattling as they fall.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says, "Maybe something you'd like to share with your fellow commune mates? Not many stay dead for as long as you and still live."

Aeldra's eyes sparkle with amusement.

You have emoted: Breandryn wipes a dirty hand across her face, smearing her snotty sniffles across one cheek. She nods solemnly, answering, "Be careful with pretending. Sometimes it can become real."

The corners of Aeldra's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon says to you, "A piece of wisdom, I would say, has been spoken there."

You have emoted: Breandryn wraps her arms about herself, shivering once. "Alive is good," she states.

Aeldra nods her head at you.

Power Minister Lendren Starfall, Crafter of Visions says, "One time I was trying to feign death to get out of being killed by Sidd and my illusion failed to go off and I did end up getting squashed. But we still won Culture."

Aeldra Ladyn, High Wisdom of the Moon asks Lendren, "That'd be one of those situations... where you rather would've avoided, hmm?"

Lendren shrugs helplessly.

Clearly still a bit shaken by her 'experience', you say, "I am going to go sit and think about what I've learned..."

You have emoted: Breandryn bends at the waist in a respectful bow.

Aeldra inclines her head politely to you.