Final Fantasy

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited December 2016 in The Real World
 I love hearing about people's experiences with this series. Anyone playing FFXV? Got any favorite games or memories? Is FFVII overrated? Excited about things to come? Deeply angered by certain decisions by Square? Discuss.
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• My boyfriend is currently playing tactics(Forgot the full title) on his phone. I lol'd when he had to fight a boss that looked exactly like the Oogie Boogie man
  • We're planning on buying a ps4 before Christmas,  so I might be picking up 15 soon. I've been playing on and off since 4 came out as 2 in the west. With some breaks once the main games left Nintendo as the first ps we got was ps2.  (I didn't play 7 until recently and even then I can't deal with the controls on the pc so I just haven't played it).

Definitely in the top two of my favourite series.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I haven't touched the series since XII really (can't really place why), but IV was one of the first rpgs I played, and I was heavily into it during middle and high school. I always had to collect everything and accomplish every goal, so it was an incredible time sink. I still shudder to think of pink puff hunting. Never again.

FFVII was a good game, but I think a remake will never fully satisfy anyone at this point. The faulty translation (This guy are sick), excessive censorship, and goofy lego-man models were actually part of the charm. I can't help but feel like the game will feel that much more bland if fully updated (especially without any censorship and proper voice acting). And while it was pretty unique and robust at the time, I don't think the original materia system has aged well. Diehard fans won't want it touched, but they're probably going to do -something- if they finish a remake.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Waiting for a PC version of XV.

VII is overrated (come at me bro), it's good don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near as amazing as people make it out to be.

VI is best, all other opinions are wrong.

I and II are somewhat dated, III and IV have brilliant remakes, V is still worth playing (and clash on the big bridge is still one of the best pieces of music in the series) VI and VII are already mentioned, VIII is good, but very very grindy and preprep based, execution of the actual fights is second to setting up ahead of them. IX is a fantastic game, and a proper throwback to the earlier games of the series. X is a damn good game, I've been enjoying the HD remake, I'll skip X-2 though.

I still need to play XII at some point, it's the only one I've not played that I want to (discarding the two onlines and anything XIII related, I tried XIII and dear god it's cutscenes and footsteps)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My introduction to the series was X, and I fell in love with it. I love the story, most of the characters are great, it has a great twist, and the whole feel of it seemed perfect to me. I've been trying to get through XII, but never get very far. I've dabbled in a few others and done a lot of reading up.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • It's hard for me to pick any personal favorites, since pretty much all of them had some very good points. I'll have to start with mentioning V though, since that one has probably been the one I've replayed the most. I just love the job system, and being able to switch from warrior to white mage between battles is awesome. Sure, it has its issues (for instance, in the late game you're crazy overpowered if you mastered the right jobs), but it's still a lovely game.

The two I'm the least fond of are probably VI and XII though. VI had an awesome story, but the 12 characters (I think there were 12?) were just too many for me, especially since you at some point or another had to use all characters, which led to a lot of grinding to level them up. As for XII, well, while the gambit system was interesting, it also made battles rather automated. I also think I had maxed out all characters grids roughly 2/3rd into the game, and the last boss was... underwhelming. When I beat it, I was actually fully expecting it to get a new form and the "real" battle would begin. Instead it was just "Oh... that's it?". This might have more to do with the gambits though, since I could essentially just enter the battle and put the controller down.
  • I always get dirty looks when I say VI and VIII were my favorites  :/
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • VI had 14 characters, actually.

You could also beat the game with a minimum of 3 characters. Well, all but impossible unless you cheat, of course, but theoretically possible.

edited December 2016
    It's more because you said VIII. It has a lot of detractors, but it's better than the hate it gets.

I get dirty looks for saying I enjoyed the Tactics Advance games.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Tactics Advance?! BURN THE WITCH!
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
  • I thought VIII had the best character advancement system (Junction > Materia; boo if you want to - I know I'm right). Currently playing Type-0. It's sexy af. @Lerad <3
  • Yeah. Behind V, VIII is probably the one I've played the most. I even made a run where I killed off everyone as soon as I could, and kept them that way until the end-game. End result, I was able to junction all the stat-boosts on them with full magic, meaning they became powerhouses after some powerlevelling :D
    Done that before, running each through the island closest to hell till they have near natural 255 stats.

• edited December 2016
    8 made me want to set myself on fire until my eyeballs melted. The whole draw system was stupid beyond imagination (the most game-able system of the FF series, I could never get the stupid gunblade to work, and the main character's crappy personality was just lifted from 7. I've never played a FF game where I hated all the characters. They were all obnoxious except Quistis. Don't even get me started on the annoying soldier secondary character scenes. 

7 was good, I agree it gets more hype than it deserves.

9 was my favorite. Eiko and Freya were the shit.

10 was good. I actually really liked 12 but everyone seems to have hated it. 

The winner of the shit trophy is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube. Unimaginably bad. 
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
    Niradnic said:
    I don't hate 12, I'm just having trouble getting into it. In each area, I do as many quests as I can, being a completionist, and when I have nothing left to do, I move onto the next area--and promptly get my ass handed to me by the enemies in that area. I'm hoping the game doesn't expect me to grind for hours before moving on with the story. Or I'm just doing it wrong. Also not a fan of the license board.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Niradnic said:
    8 made me want to set myself on fire until my eyeballs melted. The whole draw system was stupid beyond imagination (the most game-able system of the FF series, I could never get the stupid gunblade to work, and the main character's crappy personality was just lifted from 7. I've never played a FF game where I hated all the characters. They were all obnoxious except Quistis. Don't even get me started on the annoying soldier secondary character scenes. 

7 was good, I agree it gets more hype than it deserves.

9 was my favorite. Eiko and Freya were the shit.

The winner of the shit trophy is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube. Unimaginably bad. 
    OH MY DAYS. Crystal chronicles was the most shocking, steaming pile of crap I have ever had the misfortune to endure AND I PAID MONEY FOR THE EXPERIENCE.

7 was amazing. It's literally the reason I'm a gamer. It's the game I worked all summer and bought my Playstation for - and back in the day that meant flipping a whole lot of burgers brah. I liked a lot about 9, but for some reason it didn't hit me as viscerally as a lot of the other stories. FFX was very, very good, although I'm not a huge fan of either the sphere grid or the CBT system. And whoever coded Penance needs to be dragged behind a horse. X-2... One word: lightningtowerspleasekillmenow.

I'm looking forward to XV, but I'm screwed if I'm paying 70 quid for it right now (because obvs not playing it without season pass). I've got a crazy backlog of games from Playstation plus, so more than happy to wait for GOTY edition.
  • Wow, more people in Lusternia than other games who also think 9 is good. Maybe I'm playing the wrong game.

Personally for me I think 9 > 10 > 8 > 6 > 7 > others. Draw system from 8 made me want to burn things, but it had Triple Triad. So... 9 was fun, it had tetra master which made it even more fun.

I've been playing 14 for the past month or so, it's been great.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Final fantasy 1 was the best one. A fully levelled monk with Fast and Tempr could kill the last boss in one attack.

*hides*
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited December 2016
    I bought an FF game during Black Friday for cheaps. I can't remember which one. It's the first one I've ever owned, though, and I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

Edit: XIII? Is that a good one?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I spent so much time in Blitzball.
    I hated Blitzball...

• I bought x/x-2 remastered and made it as far as the required blitzball game before I quit. Money well spent.
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
    I have mixed feelings about the remastered X/X-2. I never played X-2, and never intend to. It's no Majora's Mask. But I feel the new music in the remastered edition is... subpar. I expected more. And many of the character's new faces are cringeworthy. Yuna looks like a creepy doll and Wakka looks like a buffoon.

• Shaddus said:
    Final fantasy 1 was the best one. A fully levelled monk with Fast and Tempr could kill the last boss in one attack.

*hides*
    At least you don't like FF2. That game can rot. Except Minwu.
  • Everiine said:
    I have mixed feelings about the remastered X/X-2. I never played X-2, and never intend to. It's no Majora's Mask. But I feel the new music in the remastered edition is... subpar. I expected more. And many of the character's new faces are cringeworthy. Yuna looks like a creepy doll and Wakka looks like a buffoon.
    But that's... good animation, because Yuna is a creepy doll, and Wakka is a buffoon :worried:
    I just think the design choices made were not as good as the original.

• <3 FFX and VIII's soundtracks <3

VII was decent too.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Damn it Tidus was stupid OP with the Jecht Shot, I also spent too much time playing blitzball.

VII has a special place in heart though, just less of one compared to my BAE