Org/Daily credits: RE: Admin Don't Hate Me.

TIL/ Please put these on Monthly/Yearly and not on a Weave to Weave based.

IRE games have always had a bit of a split personality between in game dates and 'the weave'. 

It seems a fairer design for players having to compete with resources, for that reset time to move around the clock and not be static. This way the inconvenience for players who play during set real world hours is distributed across the player base.

Comments

• The issue is that one lusternia month is ~25 hours and not 24 hours (which is why it isn't static time).

This would mean that you can only get your daily credits every 25 hours rather than every day. Having it at the weave means you can get them every 24 hours.

I don't know how much of a deal that extra hour is. If there's a lot of support for making it every 25 hours and rotate on the month change, it wouldn't be a hard thing to change.
  • I don't really get what the benefit is of having a dynamic reset time. If your concern is competing with other players for resources, the fixes for that are play at different times(which isn't ideal) or figure out a way to diminish competition(requires some effort). Changing when reset hits won't affect things.
  • Alternatively we could just shorten each month to 24 days so that month and weave can happen at the same time!
  • Don't some things trigger off of 1st of the ingame month? Making it static is akin to telling the Asia-Pacific and Europe players to say goodbye
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • edited February 2019
    Only things I can think of that rely on the 1st of a month is just resets on some artifact timers and the sea battle for Celest/Mag. We already have things having conflicts with timezones, like the Glom epic needing a New Moon, which is like every 20ish hours or something.
  • Don't some things trigger off of 1st of the ingame month? Making it static is akin to telling the Asia-Pacific and Europe players to say goodbye
      Why would you think this? Once a day is once a day no matter what part of the world you are in...
  • edited February 2019
    Orael said:
      Why would you think this? Once a day is once a day no matter what part of the world you are in...
    Perhaps that if something did trigger that was specific to a time of day, those players in timezones wouldn't be there for prime. But European players already get the best timeclock >.>
  •  There's a few quests tied to new or full moon or the start of the month.

Its good in a way to have it set to that for that style of quest. It means it rotates so for example it could happen at 5am or 10pm gmt etc. Means everyone in every time zone will have it happen during their peak play at some point.

I'm not entirely sure why we'd want to put daily quests to a month basis vs weave.  Can you expand a bit more on that Stein?

I maybe get some points but not sure I understand fully.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Having the daily credits reset at the weave is actually pretty darn good for Australia/NZ players.  Depending on whether it is Daylight Savings or not, the weave changes around 7-9am for Australians, and around midday-1pm for New Zealanders :)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I honestly feel like the biggest issue is for US players; if you log on 2-3 hours before the weave and off 2-3 hours after the weave, you're pretty much crammed into competing for resources with everyone else who is trying to wrap up before the end, or people getting an early start on their new one.  In that case a bit of a rotating time would actually be nice.  I've still been doing all right though, so I don't know if it's required.

How are other US players doing with it?
  • It's okay. At some point I'll probably just take days off from bothering with the credits, because the tight focus means I either have to race home from work to make it happen, or make sure I get it all done in the few hours I've got before I go to bed (or both). I think it will be all-around less problematic if the 2 hour target window becomes more tightly tuned.

Just need to disregard that little completionist voice in my head. Maybe feed it some chocolate.

• edited February 2019
    Did testing for the whole day to see what I could complete in what amount of time.

2hr 48min Influence for 1521 points
    35min Bashing for 521 points
    2min Rikenfriez
    2min Angkrag
    Would be 22 credits, but daily cap of 20 at the invested time of 3hr 27min. I could've skipped a tick of bashing or influencing and still been at 20, but didn't know how much the village quests would award when I started testing. So if I were to account for this, I could say 2hr 52min of invested time, which isn't too awful, but I'd also put myself at a B-Rank if people like Xenthos/Ixion are A-Rank for bashing.

This also means that if I got -really- good at village honours that don't take too much time, I could have all 20 in less than a hour, assuming they're ready to be done.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think being US based, your prime time is also prime time for most of the game being in similar time zones. Changing the weave won't change when the game is busiest.

• Orael said:
    Don't some things trigger off of 1st of the ingame month? Making it static is akin to telling the Asia-Pacific and Europe players to say goodbye
    Because time zones are a thing? if something can only be done at 7pm in San Francisco time then people in the timezone (+10/11) I'm in need to do that at 2pm, but at least it's not the UK where people would be trying to do the quest at 3am.

Non-us timezones already mean potentially missing out on interaction, events, etc. (before we even get into ignoring the whole "we'll announce things in gmt so its easier for everyone" in https://www.lusternia.com/in-game-help-files/?id=199)
  • I don't think anything currently is bound to any specific time, except the example I gave of the sea battle being on the 1st of a month.
  • Deichtine said:
     There's a few quests tied to new or full moon or the start of the month.

Its good in a way to have it set to that for that style of quest. It means it rotates so for example it could happen at 5am or 10pm gmt etc. Means everyone in every time zone will have it happen during their peak play at some point.

I'm not entirely sure why we'd want to put daily quests to a month basis vs weave.  Can you expand a bit more on that Stein?

I maybe get some points but not sure I understand fully.

The weave creates if you will a starting gate issue. Gun goes of, now go.

To Ironman what I am saying. Imagine in a very worst case scenario that there was a quest that only opened on Wednesday at the weave and for you that was either in the middle of your work-week or perhaps even worse 3 AM mid-week when you had a 9-5 job.

If the start it tied to Lusternia Months, then the start moves around the clock advantaging some and disadvantaging others, then the next day moves ahead.

So just like the moon quests, tying daily credits to the month means at times you'll find it easier to finish and at other dates harder as the start time impacts people differently.
  • Saran said:
    Orael said:
    Don't some things trigger off of 1st of the ingame month? Making it static is akin to telling the Asia-Pacific and Europe players to say goodbye
    Because time zones are a thing? if something can only be done at 7pm in San Francisco time then people in the timezone (+10/11) I'm in need to do that at 2pm, but at least it's not the UK where people would be trying to do the quest at 3am.

Non-us timezones already mean potentially missing out on interaction, events, etc. (before we even get into ignoring the whole "we'll announce things in gmt so its easier for everyone" in https://www.lusternia.com/in-game-help-files/?id=199)
    I think there is confusion about what this thread is about and it would likely be better if people read the initial post before posting. Daily credits is not something that can't be done only at 7pm PST.  Daily credits reset at the weave. You have 24 hours to complete them. Having it reset at the same time every day doesn't affect Asia-Pacific or European players any more than it affects US players. You can still get daily credits at any point within that 24 hours before it resets. It isn't saying 'goodbye' to other timezones because it resets at the same time every day.

This thread was created to discuss moving it to reset on the month rather than the weave. The weave is static, the month is not. Either way, it affects every timezone equally. Everyone will have the same amount of time to get their 20 credits every 24 or 25 hours.
  • Lavinya said:
    I think being US based, your prime time is also prime time for most of the game being in similar time zones. Changing the weave won't change when the game is busiest.
    It will change what people are doing during this time period. It is less the people doing stuff as much as it is are they all trying to do the same things you are. The weave start is a bottleneck.

You can see this already in some people not bothering up front (because they have the time to do them later and get credit) and that is great for people who play longer, what I am asking for is for the benefit of the more casual players.
  • Kalnid said:
    I don't really get what the benefit is of having a dynamic reset time. If your concern is competing with other players for resources, the fixes for that are play at different times(which isn't ideal) or figure out a way to diminish competition(requires some effort). Changing when reset hits won't affect things.

But it does impact when people go after the available resources and currently, creates a stampede which fires at the same time each day.

If you put a reset right when there are more people playing then you've created a bottleneck. If there's good reasons for that bottleneck then fine. But the daily credit system doesn't seem like something we're supposed to be out competing others with.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I can't help but think the stampede will happen around that time anyway, because it's when most people with normal sleep and work schedules are available to play. I don't think it's purely as simple as it being the weave change. I could be wrong! But I don't think it would have a huge impact.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2019
    Lavinya said:
    I can't help but think the stampede will happen around that time anyway, because it's when most people with normal sleep and work schedules are available to play. I don't think it's purely as simple as it being the weave change. I could be wrong! But I don't think it would have a huge impact.
    You're a little wrong.  People like me get 3-4 hours after the weave change usually to work on stuff (and will be 2-3 once DST shifts again).  Because the weave is always smack dab in the middle of our play time, it means that if we want to get it done before having to go, we're competing with others who are in the same boat.  If it shifted, then on most days my entire play time would not be cut off with a day change (same with everyone else, because it would rotate by 1 hour every day).

Edit: Of course every 5 days out of every 25 it would be in that rotating window, but that would give a lot of time when it is not.  I'm also not saying that I really require the change, but I can assure you that I see a crunch of resources right after the weave every day.  And I'm contributing to that quite a bit myself for the reason stated above.

Edit 2: I also feel a strong need to get it done in the evening, because if I don't, when I get on I only have about 1.5 hours to wrap up; if resources are rare because someone else is trying to beat it in under the wire as well, the option is really to just /shrug and give up.
  • Orael said:
    Saran said:
    Orael said:

I think there is confusion about what this thread is about and it would likely be better if people read the initial post before posting. Daily credits is not something that can't be done only at 7pm PST.  Daily credits reset at the weave. You have 24 hours to complete them. Having it reset at the same time every day doesn't affect Asia-Pacific or European players any more than it affects US players. You can still get daily credits at any point within that 24 hours before it resets. It isn't saying 'goodbye' to other timezones because it resets at the same time every day.

This thread was created to discuss moving it to reset on the month rather than the weave. The weave is static, the month is not. Either way, it affects every timezone equally. Everyone will have the same amount of time to get their 20 credits every 24 or 25 hours.
    The post you're initially responding to in this chain is in response (or at least heavily reads as such) to the suggestion to reduce the number of days in a lusternian month to 24 which would sync the month change to a specific time of day. Which then flows on into impacts on other things such as the mentioned quest timer.

Lavinya said:
    I think you could lessen it a little. There's some limitation if the timer hits during your play time which seems like it'd lead to snowballing near the weave.
    Like if the reset happens an hour after you finish work and you're not done for that day then it's crunch time to get that finished. And if you want to cap you can't just wait a bit if there's competition.

An alternative that came to mind was maybe let people set their offset to the reset time? (long cooldown between changes to prevent abuse)
    Would give freedom for people to adjust to their own schedules and avoid potential crunch times (from the system at least)
  • Lavinya said:

Xenthos has pretty much covered this. The pop seems to me to start trailing off a few hours after the weave. As a reference (apart from silly things like daylight savings time) the weave falls around 7 pm East Cost US time though about 4 P.M. West Coast time [Note I am on the West Coast, but tend towards late hours so this doesn't impact me personally as much as those with real jobs and responsibilities].

Now, most of us in the thread have been playing long enough to know if you put things off until your next play session other stuff will come up. Do you skip wildnodes, do you blow off your god, or perhaps worse, do you just not have time for the newbie that hasn't been helped, so many of us will try to hedge against failing by doing some of our dailies while we can, leaving as little to pick up as possible for our next play session.

What moving it around the clock does is space out when -some- of the people start. 
  • Orael said:Everyone will have the same amount of time to get their 20 credits every 24 or 25 hours.
    That's not really true, you know. Most people have a window each day in which they get to play. We can't pick any of the 24 or 25 hours and do it whenever. And we certainly can't play all 24. We get our window, we play, we get done what we can, we log out.
    There are a number of people who, when the weave hits, try to knock out their 20 as fast as possible, so they can move on to what they really want to be doing. If another player, like me, who only gets to play about an hour or two a day, happens to have his hour fall right around the start of the weave, he/she's gonna have a hard time getting their 20 done, as there's a lot of people competing for the same resources. Having it go on the month, not the weave, would rotate that "start over" point around the clock so it doesn't always fall into some people's only playtime.
    Yes, that kind of thing does happen. Yes, it is an issue for some. No, it is not game-breaking, but it can be quite frustrating. There are times when I log in to my brief window and there are zero bards, zero scholars, 4 cows and 3 rockeaters on a trip around the basin. After that loop, the kids are screaming and I log out. I missed my chance. Rotating the reset *might* help with that. Maybe.
  • Having it on the month means you have to be very aware of what the in-game date is, otherwise you'll be partway towards doing something at it will reset on you. Having it at the weave means you know exactly when it resets every day, which is less confusing (to me, anyway).
  • Kagato said:
    Having the daily credits reset at the weave is actually pretty darn good for Australia/NZ players.  Depending on whether it is Daylight Savings or not, the weave changes around 7-9am for Australians, and around midday-1pm for New Zealanders :)

I guess it kinda works well for us eurotrash as well, log on pre weave for a while and we can do stuff then weave hits near the end of our play time so we are staying up late we can be part of the doors opening rush as well.
  • Niwynne said:
    Having it on the month means you have to be very aware of what the in-game date is, otherwise you'll be partway towards doing something at it will reset on you. Having it at the weave means you know exactly when it resets every day, which is less confusing (to me, anyway).

This is just as easy if not easier than keeping track of when the game clock switches over, especially if you live in a daylight savings timezone. All of the IG months have 25 days, so the same DATE command that shows time until 0 GMT shows the IG date...
  • Not really. I don't have daylight savings where I live, so that isn't an issue. And it is far easier to glance at the many clocks around than to type 'date' whenever I log on and then try to work out how far away the 25th is in hours.
  • Each IC day is a RL hour?
  • Roughly, though it isn't lined up with it being -on- the hour. It's normally between x:43 - x:47.