Fancy pants

I'm quite aware that my tastes run counter to the norm. I'm ok with that. So take the following comments with a grain (handful/bucket) of salt.

I have a very hard time finding clothes for my character. It seems like everything in the game, whether dev created or player created, is so darn fancy. I don't want to step out onto the road looking like a 17th century dandy. I really would rather be just wearing some plain, sturdy clothes. But those seem to be in short supply.
I'm assuming they exist (pattern catalogs please Devs!), but they don't sell well so they are never in stock. I get that. Like I said, my tastes are not popular.
You'd ask why don't I just design some myself. I have, a few. I made a hat. And a bed. But then I need to get someone else to submit it and make it for me. Also, I don't really enjoy designing clothes.
The trigger for this extended whine was looking at the aethersuits. Seems like all I get out of my corn is goop so I was looking for something to spend it on. But all of the suits are too much for me. Either steampunky to the extreme, flamboyant as a french pirate, or screaming "I am dark, I have dark feelings!", none of them really fit. (yes, I know I can hide it, but I don't even want to buy it with a description like that).
Anyway, /whine. Sorry if anyone read all this.

Not this

more this

Comments

• If you don't like designing, there are plenty of people who would design for you. 

(I wanted to be a fancypants though lol, my thought process was, since this is all imagination, why not be the fanciest character you can be? Well, not fancy per se, more like food themed clothing)
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • I received a commission to design a unique item for a player once in all my time in Lusty, and it was one of the highlights of my life. DO IT.
  • I so so so SO agree. Everything is so gaudy in Lusternia. So much silk frippery, it's maddening. I've always been frustrated with the cartel system and shied away from desiging, but I'd love more extravagantly described simple clothes and objects.

My bard's unique lute was in this category: it had a simple appearance but was rich in details and (ic) craftsmanship.
  • edited February 2019
    If you ever develop a more specific target design type (ex: tabard of X material and Y colour), please give me a ring. I've done my best to try to do up some plainer/less ornate things in the past, but I usually get directives like, "Well, anything!", which leaves me with little guidance.

And at the end of the day, I love my colours and silk and frivolity, so if a suggestion doesn't curb specific qualities I am bound to bend towards them!

Edit: I also wouldn't say your tastes are not popular, since this is absolutely not the first time I've encountered this. Everyone is just a little different. Some things don't happen due to economic/mechanical reasons too. Example: wooden buttons are rare relative to gemstone buttons because wood is just more expensive to incorporate into the design. So, oddly enough, those wooden buttons are sensibly a more expensive lusternian taste. This is important to keep in mind when you look over the designs and might end up scratching your head over patterns/design choices.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Most designs, even the public ones, have been designed with an individual in mind. If you are not up to design for yourself, guarantee any number of people will design for you, and it can be as simple or otherwise as you like. Don't hate on everyone else's taste, just get yours out there too!

• point of clarification, I wasn't hating. it was more... lamenting.
  • Bairloch said:

The trigger for this extended whine was looking at the aethersuits. Seems like all I get out of my corn is goop so I was looking for something to spend it on. But all of the suits are too much for me. Either steampunky to the extreme, flamboyant as a french pirate, or screaming "I am dark, I have dark feelings!", none of them really fit. (yes, I know I can hide it, but I don't even want to buy it with a description like that).

If you are spending that much on an aethersuit, you want people to know you are spending that much just by looking at you!

Then you realise half the world is wearing one of the same 6 aethersuits and end up just hiding it!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you're spending that much on an aethersuit, you are generally active enough to get daily credits and can customize your aethersuit to be almost anything you can dream up.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Although yea just hide your aethersuit and then you can wear all the fancy tailoring clothes and even design a new one every year if you want for no real cost.
  • yeah, that's been said. I get all that. Aethersuit was just the trigger for the post. The observation goes well beyond the suit.
  • I wish all armor allowed wearing other clothes.