Let's talk about Glomdoring.

Comments

• Synl said:
    Anyways, what would you like to see added to other orgs to increase synergy? Specifically Serenwilde and Celest seem to be the odd man out, just looking at mechanics. I can agree that Glom has some NOICE synergy. Though admittedly the bleeding mechanic is a bit too heavily played into the dark and brooding theme, would much prefer to swap with the plague affs of Mag. 
    Good question, honest answer I don't know. Celest can thematically revolve around water, chill levels and a revamped Preserve skill and Seren... No clue, honestly. Maybe... Berries.

But I have to admit, while I acknowledge that Celest doesn't have a true synergy, I've always found their skillsets very strong individually. For example, take a look at what a Celestine can do on their own. (here: http://wiki.lusternia.com/Sacraments)
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Bleeding kills people. Dust affs don't. 

If your synergy is building towards an arbitrary threshold, great. If you're pressuring multiple vitals, while also pressuring multiple vitals, while also buffing multiple bleeding inputs, while also giving more afflictions based on bleeding inputs, while also threatening both %health and %mana kills, wowe.
  • Kalnid said:
    Which dust aff builds deathmarks? Is it asthma? What about vomiting or pox, do those build deathmarks?

All dust afflictions will help build deathmarks yes. Its similar to how insanity or timewarp work in that you cure less of it when curing other afflictions. 
  • Keegan said:
    Bleeding kills people. Dust affs don't. 

If your synergy is building towards an arbitrary threshold, great. If you're pressuring multiple vitals, while also pressuring multiple vitals, while also buffing multiple bleeding inputs, while also giving more afflictions based on bleeding inputs, while also threatening both %health and %mana kills, wowe.

It isn't arbitary because being at over 20dmark is akin to being at massive insanity or massive timewarp. Its instant kill level.
  • It's almost as if those systems, too, pale compared to bleeding synergy. :)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'd actually like to urge members of Glomdoring to make a forums post titled "let's talk about Magnagora", where they can air their grievances about how Magnagora is doing so well because of their skillsets and synergy. We'll be over here talking about Glomdoring until then.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Deichtine dust affs do not build deathmark, not even close. I'm having a polite conversation in messages with Xenthos about how Cacophony can benefit from plague affs, as they are the only one that truly focuses on it.
  • Keegan said:
    It's almost as if those systems, too, pale compared to bleeding synergy. :)

Its comparable to bleeding as building plague, demon and death marks does increasing damage and mana drain,
    Deichtine said:
    Kalnid said:
    Which dust aff builds deathmarks? Is it asthma? What about vomiting or pox, do those build deathmarks?

All dust afflictions will help build deathmarks yes. Its similar to how insanity or timewarp work in that you cure less of it when curing other afflictions. 
    But dust afflictions don't actually build deathmarks. Only two classes out of five can capitalise on deathmarks. 

How many classes in Glomdoring have skills which increase or feed off of bleeding and everything that entails?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Top kek @ dustaffs tempins and timewarp being comparable to bleed synergy
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • Lycidas said:
    @Deichtine dust affs do not build deathmark, not even close. I'm having a polite conversation in messages with Xenthos about how Cacophony can benefit from plague affs, as they are the only one that truly focuses on it.

Feel free to pm me too and I can talk you through it outside this thread.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shaddus said:
    Maybe we can just remove the mana cost from clotting. Make bleeding a singular affliction that is cured by something, and that's it. Maybe dust.
    ... well I was interested until I got to the dust bit!  Why not Chervil?  I think it still lessens bleeding when you eat it, no?
  • My question was, and you quoted this so I thought you'd recognize it, 'how many dust affs do I have to build to kill someone?'. Please answer it with a range that you deem reasonable. If you ask me 'how much bleeding do I have to do to kill someone?', or 'how much mana drain do I have to do to kill someone?' I can answer both of those clearly and directly. Can I kill someone if I give them 10 dust affs? What about 30?
    Deichtine said:
    Its comparable to bleeding as building plague, demon and death marks does increasing damage and mana drain,
    You're not wrong! Every 5 levels of deathmark that someone has, necromancy leech drains another 50-ish mana per use. It should probably be scaled back, as anyone can vouch that leech spam just dominates the absolute fuck out of necromancer combat right now.
  • I guess I have trouble talking about Glom abilities because I think synergy is a good thing that should be added to more orgs. Not taken away from the orgs that currently have it. So like, I'd rather talk about how Celest and Seren can get some kind of systems in place similar to timewarp/insanity/bleeding. Maybe have Seren get bleeding, playing into their savage idea, and Glom can double down on poisons. But then you're changing an extra set of abilities.

Very cool post by Enya. I've never really thought about orgs engendering an identity in that sense. I can definitely see where Glomdoring would get that attitude, too. When I played this game originally, back in I think 2003? 2005? In that range. Glom was always getting beaten down, to the point where it started to play on a different axis (instead of trying to win fights or participate in events, we were THE rp org). Kinda came up a bit on its own (some of my favorite memories are a roving squad with Exeryte and Ashteru and Pentu just having fun), then Sojiro/Krellan/Xiel came over and combat became way easier. So there's this sense of 'well if Glom can rise up so can everyone else!'. Though of course there's so much more to it than 'just keep a smile on your face.'
  • @Xenthos I think it was supposed to be a jab at "Just use dust affs" akin to the Learn2Code meme.
  • Shaddus said:
    Maybe we can just remove the mana cost from clotting. Make bleeding a singular affliction that is cured by something, and that's it. Maybe dust.

I don't dislike that idea. If bleeding was on a scale and cured by dust aff's it would make building bleeding an easier task in a way but would separate it from mana.
  • @Kalnid it takes 9 plague affs for a Cacophony to murder someone purely by plague affs, assuming they don't have a health shield. QueensLament in Cacophony, at 2p, does 12% max hp damage per plague aff, though to use it they have to turn off their own plague generation...so awkward.
  • edited March 2019
    That is just the tip of it. Bleeding will still kill you by itself because it hits your health: 0 and dead. All the other synergy types are second class primarily because they require a lot of factors to actually result in a kill.

For @Deichtine: dustaffs by themselves will never kill you. Bleed will.
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • Shaddus said:
    I also personally think, bleeding and poisons are well fitting thematically to Glomdoring's edgy forest roleplay. And if the ultimate goal will be for other orgs to strive for Glomdoring's level of synergy then I'd rather have those temporarily disabled/hard number nerf'd until everyone else can reach the same playing field through revamps. So at least new players wouldn't wear out while waiting, as most of us had in the past.
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • That is just the tip of it. Bleeding will still kill you by itself because it hits your health - 0 and dead. All the other synergy types are second class primarily because they require a lot of factors to actually result in a kill.

For @Deichtine: dustaffs by themselves will never kill you. Bleed will.
    I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.
  • @Synl I don't think we're here trying to nerf Glom's super synergy, I think we all just want a fair shake at that level of it too. I am always of the mindset to buff things to equality, not nerf it. More people are happier with overall buffs instead of one thing being lowered.
    It's hard to set traps when people actually agree with you :(

• edited March 2019
    I'm always open to talking about changes and new ideas as long as people are actually willing to talk Shaddus. I really think that idea of yours has potential merit.

EDIT: Just in concept but bleeding is a pre overhaul mechanic still cured by chervil and clot. Having a bleeding rework to bring it onto the new cures and system sounds like a good idea to me.
    Xenthos said:
    Shaddus said:
    ... well I was interested until I got to the dust bit!  Why not Chervil?  I think it still lessens bleeding when you eat it, no?
    So far as I know, but I -think- it's the nature domoths sparkle right now, and I'm not sure how those interact. Does eating chervil to clot take you off sparkle balance?
  • It does, just gave it a test. It functions as both a bleed reduction and sparkleberry balance. Great for bashing, not for combat.
  • It sort of has 2 balances now. The sparkle balance and the chervil herb balance.

yea eatting it once will throw it off both balances though yep.
    edited March 2019
    Deichtine said:
    It sort of has 2 balances now. The sparkle balance and the chervil herb balance.

So...just out of curiosity, which org is holding the nature domoths and decided to set the "help with bleeding" herb to also be sparkle, so that using one throws the other off?
  • Shaddus said:
    Deichtine said:
    It sort of has 2 balances now. The sparkle balance and the chervil herb balance.

So...just out of curiosity, which org is holding the nature domoths and decided to set the "help with bleeding" herb to also be sparkle, so that using one throws the other off?
    The org that has a herbalist who badgered Xenthos to do it because Chervil is a forest herb that I had over 10k sitting spare.
This discussion has been closed.