Storytelling, final version

edited June 2019 in Event Scrolls
The edited version of Hallifax's first attempt at a storytelling production. Thanks to @Aramel and @Nelras for being bravely volunteered (especially Nelras), and @Merlose for being a great sport despite being told nothing prior to this.

Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure says, "Hallifax."

Onya inclines her head politely to Kethaera.

Alexandria smiles a little at Merlose, turning to explain. "Well, just a few months past, we had a rather... interesting tea party, in which Aramel offered to adopt me into the Shevat family." She purses her lips. "It was a little out of the ordinary. I think we were all on edge over something or other."

Aramel twitches spasmodically.

Choros enters from the southeast, emanating an aura of immense power.

Elliphira the Cloud-Riding Quokka sees Choros, and gives him a beaming smile and a happy chirp as she zooms over immediately to rub noses with him.

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Kethaera's lips as she glances at Aramel.

With an air of almost relief, Aramel greets Kethaera with a smile. "Ah, Librarian!" she says.

Nelras says, "It is only natural that we would be, as adoption is such an important step." He gives Alexandria a slight smile. "Likewise, it was a step that was discussed beforehand, and we are all glad that you accepted."

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent says, "Assimilation does not require your approval, anyway."

Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure says to Aramel, "Ah, Marquessa! All well?"

Alexandria tilts her head to one side, looking at Choros. "Truly? How curious. You'd think there'd be paperwork or something."

With a brief smile, Aramel Shevat says, "As well as might be expected."

A numb sensation flows over you as frost forms over your flesh, and you realize you are truly beautiful, the next great step in evolution, realizing that the insignificant mortals about you should worship you as a god, not consider you an equal.

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent says to Alexandria, "Paperwork sometimes pends completion of assimilation."

Choros shrugs helplessly.

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent says, "I don't make the rules, I just act like I follow them."

Aramel gives Choros the once-over, eyeing him suspiciously.

With a quick glance to Aramel, Kethaera says, "I assure you, Alexandria, the paperwork has been handled correctly."

Her smile growing more strained by the minute, Aramel asks Kethaera, "Is there not something more interesting for us all to discuss besides paperwork?"

Brightly, Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure says, "Why, yes! Actually, I would like to propose a game."

With deep gratitude, Aramel Shevat says, "I am all ears. Well, not in the literal manner."

Glancing around at the group gathered, Kethaera adds, "And I must insist that everyone come, if they have nothing of critical importance to do instead."

Alexandria gives Aramel a curious look, but instead turns to follow Kethaera.

Kethaera makes a beckoning motion to no-one in particular.

You begin to follow Kethaera.

Facet Merlose Pavok says, "It sounds like this is of critical importance, then."

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent says, "I am actually working on something very important, but I will attend."

Onya unfreezes from her position as a crystalline statue to turn towards Kethaera and follow.

Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure looks thoughtful and says, "Who are we missing."

Aramel Shevat laughingly says, "This is a proper military draft."

Kethaera's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Aramel Shevat says, "We are missing Iatira and Kish."

Curious, Quintessence Nelras Shevat, Her Silvern Legate says to Kethaera, "Am I to assume that this is to be what we have discussed in the past?"

Kethaera nods her head at Nelras.

Aramel Shevat says, "Kish might wish to attend as part of her ministerial duties, actually."

Kethaera looks about herself, rubbing her chin thoughtfully.

You follow Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure southwest to Auditorium of the Grand Hallifaxian Opera House.

Auditorium of the Grand Hallifaxian Opera House.

Banks of clouds roil about here. There are 2 opera benches of elaborately engraved marble here. Soaring to a majestic height, a harmonious stage of crystal and gold stands here. Floating slightly above the ground on a fluffy cloud of purest white, Elliphira the Cloud-Riding Quokka hovers here. Waddling unstably on webbed feet, a fluffy swan toddles here. Marquessa Alexandria Shevat floats here, wreathed in a corona of cinereous skeins of mist. She wields a sticky spatula of Solstice peppermint in her left hand and a golden whip of the pious in her right. Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent is here. He wields a delicate crystal staff in his left hand and a metal treebark shield in his right. Quintessence Nelras Shevat, Her Silvern Legate stands here, surrounded in an aura of ghostly, flickering wings. He wields an aerodynamic viola hewn from sapphire in his left hand and a snow phoenix-crested shield of glacial hues in his right. A baleful crow perches here, crimson eyes piercing in their glare. Airy and ephemeral, a lightwoven nephele drifts above the ground here shimmering with dawn's radiance. Facet Merlose Pavok is here, shrouded. She wields a silver-edged kite shield in her left hand and an emerald domothean scalpel in her right. Barely visible beneath a thin veil of swirling grey mists, a mourning dove is here, rubescent streaks for tears and flecks on wings like blood.

You see a single exit leading northeast.

You follow Librarian Kethaera, Voice of Composure to behind the proscenium.

Behind the proscenium.

Banks of clouds roil about here. Floating slightly above the ground on a fluffy cloud of purest white, Elliphira the Cloud-Riding Quokka hovers here. Waddling unstably on webbed feet, a fluffy swan toddles here. Quintessence Nelras Shevat, Her Silvern Legate stands here, surrounded in an aura of ghostly, flickering wings. He wields an aerodynamic viola hewn from sapphire in his left hand and a snow phoenix-crested shield of glacial hues in his right. Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent is here. He wields a delicate crystal staff in his left hand and a metal treebark shield in his right. Facet Merlose Pavok is here, shrouded. She wields a silver-edged kite shield in her left hand and an emerald domothean scalpel in her right. A baleful crow perches here, crimson eyes piercing in their glare. Marquessa Alexandria Shevat floats here, wreathed in a corona of cinereous skeins of mist. She wields a sticky spatula of Solstice peppermint in her left hand and a golden whip of the pious in her right. Barely visible beneath a thin veil of swirling grey mists, a mourning dove is here, rubescent streaks for tears and flecks on wings like blood. Airy and ephemeral, a lightwoven nephele drifts above the ground here shimmering with dawn's radiance.

The curtains part on an ornate stage of crystal and gold, heralding the start of the performance of 'Hallifaxian Storytelling, 533 CE'.

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent gives a wild cheer in the direction of an ornate stage of crystal and gold!

The curtains rise, to show an elegant story-telling room. Kethaera stands within it, lit by a bright spotlight as she greets the audience.

You examine an ornate stage of crystal and gold and see:

This is a cosy storytelling room, with a number of chairs placed before a squat glass table. On the table is a small bag filled to the brim with folded white cards.

Marquessa Kethaera

Portrayed by Kethaera

Costume: She is a sky-painted faeling.

Nelras Shevat

Portrayed by Nelras

Merlose Pavok

Portrayed by Merlose

Aramel Shevat

Portrayed by Aramel

Costume: She is a graceful elfen woman.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Welcome to the first production of Hallifaxian storytelling. The idea is quite simple."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Each contestant will be given a random person, place, and thing. They will have ten minutes to come up with a story using all three, but may choose to select another word once."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "So! Who wishes to go first?"

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent gives a wild cheer in the direction of an ornate stage of crystal and gold!

Marquessa Kethaera turns and gestures to the four gathered beside her. "Well? Volunteers?"

With a small laugh, Aramel Shevat says, "As the one to suggest such a thing, I volunteer yourself, Marquessa."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Myself, hmm? Alright, then, I will choose my words."

Marquessa Kethaera waves her hand dramatically as she reaches into the bag, and removes three of the scraps. She unfolds them, her eyes scanning each one before placing it back in the bag.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your words are Cririk Adom, Clarramore, and angel."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "On second thought, I will try a different person."

Aramel Shevat says, "Poor Chairman Adom. Are you going to choose to change any of those words?"

Aramel Shevat nods at Kethaera. "Do tell us your new choice, then."

Marquessa Kethaera draws another scrap of paper from the small bag and reads it aloud before returning it.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your new word is Ilore Marks."

Marquessa Kethaera draws another scrap of paper from the small bag and reads it aloud before returning it.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your new word is Voice of Jagrerox."

With a slight cough, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Yes, that's the one I picked."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "The words are the Voice of Jagrerox. Clarramore, and angel..."

A small bell timer hums, and a faint ticking sound is heard in the background.

Marquessa Kethaera looks thoughtful and says, "Right, so... Many years ago, in Clarramore, a young child was looking for a missing doll."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "The doll was a stuffed version of one of the cherub angels from Celestia. The little girl adored the angel, and was searching the gardens everywhere for her missing toy."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "But alas, she couldn't find it... even the swans were silent, giving her no clues for where the missing doll might be."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Finally, near to tears, the little girl sank down into the soft, cloudy soil. As she started to cry, she heard the most terrible screeching from somewhere nearby."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "She covered her ears tightly, but even that could not drown out the noise. It had a rhythm to it... sort of... but the strains were jarring and cacophonous. Very unlike anything she had ever heard in Clarramore."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Finally, she got up and began searching for the source of the sounds. All she could find, though, was a corner in the gardens... a voice, hissing the words, 'Pain! Death! Rock!' ...among others."

The bell chime ends, indicating time is up.

Nervously, Marquessa Kethaera says, "So, umm... she shouted as loud as she could, if the voice had seen her doll! And what do you know, it dropped out of the sky."

Agent Onya directs a round of applause towards an ornate stage of crystal and gold.

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent directs a round of applause towards an ornate stage of crystal and gold.

Smiling faintly, Marquessa Kethaera says, "The end..."

Marquessa Kethaera gestures grandly toward the edge of the stage, dipping into a bow.

Aramel Shevat applauds Kethaera warmly. "I suppose, as you have gone first, I will go after you," she says.

Nelras Shevat politely applauds Kethaera's efforts.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Ah, excellent, Marquessa!"

Marquessa Kethaera says, "For your words..."

The spotlight brightens slightly, turning on to Aramel with a certain sense of ominous intent.

Marquessa Kethaera waves her hand dramatically as she reaches into the bag, and removes three of the scraps. She unfolds them, her eyes scanning each one before placing it back in the bag.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your words are Kiakoda, Celestia, and a snowman."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Do you wish to reroll any of them?"

Aramel Shevat says, "I wish to reroll Celestia."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your new word is Conceptions."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Would you rather keep Celestia...?"

Aramel Shevat says, "On second thought, yes."

Aramel Shevat coughs slightly, glancing askance.

Beaming, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Alright! Kiakoda, Celestia, and a snowman."

Aramel Shevat says, "Of all the things named after Kiakoda, perhaps the most famous is the Nature Reserve. Within it are all types of habitats, from forests to arctic. And in the snow, a child built a snowman."

Aramel Shevat says, "Of course, some say the spirit of Kiakoda still lingers there... and, suffused by that power, the snowman came alive. He looked around himself and saw many wonderful things: birds of all kinds fluttering around, rabbits and foxes in their endless chase, and even penguins!"

Aramel Shevat says, "One day, a young Celestian came to him, with angel in tow. The snowman was very curious, as he had never seen this manner of creature before. So the Celestian began to tell the snowman stories about the beauty of Celestia - about the radiance of the Light and the flowers that grew there. Proselytizing, in a word, as Celestians do."

With a wry little smile, Aramel Shevat says, "Now, we who wander the Basin are quite familiar with proselytizing Celestians, but this young snowman was an innocent. So, wide-eyed, he believed all the tales of wonder, and he decided that he must see Celestia for himself." She gives a solemn nod.

Gesturing grandly, Aramel Shevat says, "At last, he said to the young Celestian, 'Take me to Celestia, so that I might see it for myself! I want to bask in the light of the Supernals and see that blessed land. I want to explore all of the planes, for I must be here for a reason."

Aramel Shevat says, "So the Celestian gladly picked up the snowman, and ascended to the Starlit Eternity. With but a step, they were where the Light shone ever-bright, upon the sands of Celestia - the white desert."

Softly, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Oh no..."

Aramel Shevat says, "The snowman reeled, blinded by light and heat and the desert wind, and quickly melted into nothing at all, becoming but a little damp stain on the sand."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Well done, Marquessa, if a sad tale! Who's next?"

Offering a polite round of applause, Nelras Shevat says, "I suppose that means that my attempt must be next."

Marquessa Kethaera nods at Nelras, beckoning him to step forward.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your words are Trader Bob, Faethorn, and a large geyser."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Do you wish to try a different word for any?"

Nelras Shevat steps forward as instructed. He considers the words for a moment, before saying, "I believe that those words will be acceptable."

Thinking for a moment, Nelras Shevat turns to face the audience as he begins his story. "As we all know, Trader Bob is incredibly well-off. And of course, we all know that chief amongst his enterprises is his shop, from which he sells many wondrous things. It just so happens that, one day, Trader Bob was making his way from his shop to the Aetherplex, when he came across two Faelings, talking about something most wonderful. Hearing the way they spoke, he slowed his walk to listen, and on that day he learned what he must sell to make his next fortune."

With just the hint of a grin, Nelras Shevat says, "Honeycakes!"

Nelras Shevat says, "Of course, to make honeycakes, one requires honeycombs. And as one must surely know, the finest honeycombs must surely be those gathered from the Faethorn. And so, early one morning, Trader Bob sought out those who might take him to the Faethorn. This was, for one of his prodigious wealth, an easy task, and soon he found himself surrounded by the fae of Faethorn as he looked for honeycombs."

Nelras Shevat says, "With the help of the fae, and perhaps one or two faelings who had journeyed to Faethorn having heard of his task, Trader Bob soon had quite the selection of honeycombs. He even had enough to pay those who had helped him. "Free samples," he laughed, as he made his way back towards the archway which would enable him to leave the Faethorn. "Be sure to come to my shop should you want any more." And then, as he walked, he heard a massive rumbling from under his feet."

Lowering his voice until the furthest member of the audience can barely hear it, Nelras Shevat says, "A large geyser erupted from underneath his feet, knocking him over and sending the honeycombs flying. As they landed, well..."

Nelras Shevat says, "It was, as they say, a very sticky situation."

Agent Onya directs a round of applause towards an ornate stage of crystal and gold.

Overseer Choros Shevat, Syndicate Agent says, "I think I liked Nelras' story the best."

Choros's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Giggling, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Very good, Quintessence. I believe there is one more story left, hmm?"

Onya nods her head at Choros.

Aramel Shevat cannot quite hold back a sudden burst of laughter at the last line. "Well done, Quintessence," she says. "I definitely did not see that coming."

Kish nods her head emphatically.

Brilliant flares of colour fill the firmament as spires of crystal rise up on the horizon, the rays of sunlight reflecting from them freezing time in place as they paint your surroundings in a spectacular palette. Time jumps as light refracts and moves over your surroundings with the arrival of an Immaculate Timequake.

Nelras Shevat bows to the audience before making his way back to the other participants.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Ahem, well..."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your words are High Supreme Justice Lilliana Sunfar, Hifarae Hills, and centaur."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Do you want to keep all those words?"

Merlose Pavok says, "Yeah, I'll keep them."

The spotlight turns on Merlose dramatically, awaiting her story.

Merlose Pavok says, "In the high hills of Hifarae, the centuars rollicked and gamboled about, doing centaur things which were undoubtedly questionable in nature."

Merlose Pavok says, "They lived in their little corner all covered in trees, until one fateful day, when a trill from Hallifax was having a picnic."

Merlose Pavok says, "The centaurs were upset that they weren't invited, of course, so they took up spears and slings and charged at the poor trill, and ruined his good time. So what was he to do but sue?"

Merlose Pavok says, "Now, Hifarae may be claimed by Serenwilde, probably, but it's a matter of fact that all of the Basin is Hallifaxian propery, even though they don't know it yet, and that means, according to High Supreme Justice Lilliana Sunfar, that the centaurs are subject to Hallifaxian laws."

Merlose Pavok says, "So from high in the Spire of Lawgivers, she did hold court against them. But they, being foolish centaurs, ignored the legal notice and didn't bother to show up to defend themselves."

Merlose Pavok says, "They also ignored the legal judgement against them, so High Supreme Justice Lilliana Sunfar took her justice to them."

Merlose Pavok says, "With an army of Hallifaxians at her back, she marched into Hifarae, ready to demand they pay restitution."

Merlose Pavok says, "But then there was... a timequake! Right there in front of them! And decisions had to be made."

Merlose Pavok says, "So Lillina went and scolded every centaur herself."

Marquessa Kethaera raises a hand to her mouth, fighting back a laugh.

Merlose Pavok says, "And Hallifax went and conquered everything as well they should."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Well done, Merlose! That wraps everything up nicely."

Maligorn Shevat congratulates the performance on an ornate stage of crystal and gold with some wild clapping.

Nelras Shevat gives Merlose an appreciative nod of his head and a round of applause.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "So ends the first Hallifaxian storytelling production! Thank you all for coming."

Agent Onya rises to her feet in a standing ovation, cheering and clapping.

Choros gets up off an opera bench of elaborately engraved marble.

You direct a round of applause towards an ornate stage of crystal and gold.

The melodies of a single voice enrapt in chorus are brought to you on a swirling breeze - a sublime opera that echoes from the very heart of the Matrix itself, summoned by the advancement of Hallifax in the First World.

The curtains draw to a close on an ornate stage of crystal and gold, signaling the conclusion of the performance of 'Hallifaxian Storytelling, 533 CE'.

"Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."