Random direction

edited June 2019 in Mechanic's Corner
Literally random thing I made as a setup for something else. It makes you walk in a random direction, and attempts to choose a different random direction if there are icewalls/locked doors/blocking, etc.

function DirectionCheck()
dirName = {}<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;for i,v in pairs(gmcp.Room.Info.exits) do<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; dirName[#dirName+1]=i<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;end<br>randomWalk(true)<br>end
<br>function randomWalk(escapeAttempt)<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;if escapeAttempt then<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; if dirName[1] ~= nil then<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;currentDir = dirName[math.random(1,table.size(dirName))]
         if currentDir ~= "x" then
	    send(currentDir)
	 else
	     for i=1,#dirName do
    	         if dirName[i] == "x" then 
       		    table.remove(dirName,i)
    	         end
	     end
	     escapeAttempt(true)
	 end<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; else<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;echo("Oh no! We're trapped!")<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;return<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; end<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;end<br>end

Trigger(exits blocked):

for i=1,#dirName do
    if dirName[i] == currentDir then 
       table.remove(dirName,i)
    end
end
randomWalk(true)
<p></p>

(I use a function to do the echo part, this was just to make it more obvious what it does)

Looking for any suggestions on how to expand on this.

Edit: I'm capturing special exits with this(the "x") which I want to do, I'm just not sure yet what I want to do with the x. So I added a part to remove it for now.

Comments

• I like this and may steal it, thanks!

You could extend it to try and walk if you're free, leap or tumble if not.
  • Dys said:
    I like this and may steal it, thanks!

You could extend it to try and walk if you're free, leap or tumble if not.
    That's the idea, yeah, eventually.