Potentially returning

Hey all,

I played Lusternia a *long* time ago. Excited to see a lot of the recent developments and major overhauls. Some questions I have about what things are like now:
  1. What does SSC mean practically? That...I don't need to worry about curing at all, as long as I have all the cures somewhere?
  2. Back in the day, you basically had to have m&m or something just as powerful to be remotely efficient at bashing or to stand a chance in combat. What's the calculus like now between mmf and Nexus?
  3. Aethergoop, wonder crystals, dingbats...are these basically all necessary for high-level players now? Are these all gained via IRL purchases?
  4. Is there greater supply of higher-level bashing now? Back in the day, unless I was online all the time, it was hard to find good places to bash (except very risky places, if I remember correctly)
  5. Thoughts about retiring vs continuing on old character? (I'm not sure if I even qualify for retirement)
  6. Any other surprises to be aware of? Back in the day, my biggest frustration was that it's hard to play Lusternia casually - it took so long just to def up and find something to bash!

Comments

• Zalandrus said:

Aethergoop, wonder crystals, dingbats...are these basically all necessary for high-level players now? Are these all gained via IRL purchases?
    Good news, all of this can be gained in-game without spending a single red cent if you know the ins and outs of it. Aethergoop has completely replaced dingbats and can be earned from a variety of sources, like the wondercornucopia, genie bottles, treasure maps and the highly lucrative aethertrading system of gnomes on bubbles.

Wondercrystals can be gained through experience- one every 10 levels, and then another 10 purchaseable with essence as a demigod. It's highly recommended to form the wondercornucopia, which has an assortment of powers designed to buff just about everything that can be buffed. When complete, the wondercornucopia also has a Gift ability, wherein every IG year, you can pull out 500 bound goop or another crystal, although the chance of a crystal is apparently 5%. 

And the new system of daily credits makes it so that you can earn up to 20 bound credits every day by participating in various activities, like hunting, village revolts, and a host of other things.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Welcome back!

1. Server side curing is pretty good. Works out of the box and will definitely take care of most anything you run into while bashing. It takes a lot of the load off in PK too, but it's not the silver bullet of curing systems.

2. Nexus is totally viable now - feel free to play around in it. The scripting options are more powerful than ever and the UI is nice, and unless you're determined to be a top-tier fighter, it'll probably suit you just fine. Mudlet is still preferred by people who get into PK, and you'll be encouraged to use it if you plan to engage in timequakes and stuff because it's what most people use and know how to code for. 

3. Credits are free now. You get 20 per weave by engaging in various areas of the game. See this thread for details. You'll get free wonder crystals for leveling up, and with your first ten you can make a wondercornucopia that has the chance to generate additional crystals each in-game year. You can also buy more crystals with essence as a demigod. Dingbats no longer exist, but aethergoop is the newest premium currency to throw a wrench into the economy. I get most of my goop through aethertrading, which is another topic altogether.

4. I dunno, I usually only bash enough each day to get my daily credits, if needed. For most power leveling you'll want to join a hunting party on astral or an aetherhunt. There are tons of ways to boost XP gains too, so ask your group leader about that.

5. Continue with an old character if it's a Hallifaxian around age 250.

6. Personally, I think the admin have done a good job at chipping away at things that made Lusternia painful to play. There's still plenty to be frustrated with, but things like autocuring, daily credits, and no XP loss in timequakes make it much more egalitarian.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Zalandrus said:
    Hey all,

I played Lusternia a *long* time ago. Excited to see a lot of the recent developments and major overhauls. Some questions I have about what things are like now:
    1. What does SSC mean practically? That...I don't need to worry about curing at all, as long as I have all the cures somewhere?
    2. Back in the day, you basically had to have m&m or something just as powerful to be remotely efficient at bashing or to stand a chance in combat. What's the calculus like now between mmf and Nexus?
    3. Aethergoop, wonder crystals, dingbats...are these basically all necessary for high-level players now? Are these all gained via IRL purchases?
    4. Is there greater supply of higher-level bashing now? Back in the day, unless I was online all the time, it was hard to find good places to bash (except very risky places, if I remember correctly)
    5. Thoughts about retiring vs continuing on old character? (I'm not sure if I even qualify for retirement)
    6. Any other surprises to be aware of? Back in the day, my biggest frustration was that it's hard to play Lusternia casually - it took so long just to def up and find something to bash!

1) 99% of things will cure you for you. There are some affs not in the system (sap, impaledgut, and a few odds here and there) and won't be cured.
    2) mmf, and personal systems, are still required for things outside of curing (things like target tracking, using your skills when your allies need you to, etc)
    3) Dingbats have been retired and Any you have should have been turned into Aethergoop. Aethergoop is a bit easier to come by IC. HELP AETHERTRADING is the newest way, trading crafted items from cooking, tailoring or jewellery to traders that appear on aetherbubbles. Although this method does require you quick access to bubbles. For wondercrystals, you get 1 crystal for every 10 levels (WONDERWAND CLAIM will give you any crystals for leveling if you are above that level.) Once you are a demigod, you can buy crystals (up to 10) with increasing essence costs.  Other than that, you can still buy crystals from other players, otherwise it comes from IRL purchases.  As with all things, as more people have them, the more required things become to compete,
    4) I don't think there is any more higher-level bashing now then there was before. Astral groups probably still the most common.
    5) Personally, having to start over without all the QoL skills (and cheap artifacts) is too hard for me to get around.
  • Thanks for the responses!

This wonder system is intriguing - so basically everybody gets enough natural wondercrystals to create one item to a reasonable level, but you'd have to spend IRL money to get multiple wonder items?

Sounds like flying around to different aetherbubbles is a bigger deal now! I guess one advantage of my old character is that I have a ship already...
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2019
    You can also trade for crystals, and the wondercorn has a (very low) chance of producing crystals each IG year. 

But just fair warning... You'll never beat anyone to a bubble if you're flying a ship. Everyone either uses a button or a bubblix to get there instantly, and it's a race to find the trader before he or she leaves.  :D
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited August 2019
    Would be cool if it was like Imperian's setup, and all the ways to earn dailycredits had a small chance at generating an untradable wondercrystal... Although Imperian's also continues having said chance after you've capped dailycredits and Lusternia has a lot more ways of generating them so the chance would have to be pretty damn small.
    I do enjoy the 1 free every 10 levels thing, it's super nice. How much essence is it for the 10 you can get at Demi?
    Maybe even a weekly thing: Cap your dailycredits 5/7 days to get a grimy crystal.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Keep in mind that crystals are one of Lusternia's three currencies.  Goop can be earned in large quantities via genies/gnome trading.  Credits from dailies build fast.  Crystals are the rarest of the currency and one of the main selling points of IRE Elite (guaranteed crystal per month).
    To me it is impressive that they give away as many as they do.  I don't think they are likely to give more (though they could surprise me).
  • Xenthos said:
    Keep in mind that crystals are one of Lusternia's three currencies.  Goop can be earned in large quantities via genies/gnome trading.  Credits from dailies build fast.  Crystals are the rarest of the currency and one of the main selling points of IRE Elite (guaranteed crystal per month).
    To me it is impressive that they give away as many as they do.  I don't think they are likely to give more (though they could surprise me).
    Yeah tokens are given with membership in Imperian as well... Although recently they converted token items to be purchasable with credits, so maybe not the most apt of comparisons anymore.
    Probably wouldn't be a good idea if everyone had all wonder items completed, I just really want certain powers :(