Figurine Rant

LavinyaLavinya Queen of SnarkAustralia
This issue has been brought up before, I know, but right now it has got my heckles up. I am ALL for resolving in character situations in character. However, when someone has you snubbed and banned from their shop, there is literally nothing I can do, in game, to resolve the issue. I can't ask her not to sculpt me. I can't ask for the figurine. I can't even go and buy it for myself.

Can we PLEASE please please have a way to resolve this really irritating occurrence? Simply making sculpting/painting people an action that takes more than a few seconds (I was literally in and out so fast I'm surprised she even had time to see me), giving the target time to walk away and have the action fail would completely remove the issue.

This is bordering on snub abuse - if someone wants to use the mechanic to not speak or interact with you, then can we please make it impossible for them to still use skills in this manner at a person they have snubbed??

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Rather than change the mechanics, I strongly suggest the following.

Issue the person formally and see if this counts as abuse on an OOC level.  It sounds like it is bordering on it.

And, if the admin come back, and say without a doubt that this doesn't count as an issuable offense, then, as nicely as I want to say it, then I really think the players need to exercise maturity and ignore that individual.  We are not 5 year olds.  Having an "unauthorized figurine" really isn't something that should be causing such OOC drama.

I can see a lot more things being offensive than somebody making a figurine of your character and sticking it in a shop--being fondled or grouped, bullied with OOC tells, or being killed over and over.  My fear if people keep asking for in game changes to something that really doesn't affect anybody, and then it will escalate into somebody writing a book about you or "saying mean things about you to others".  

[BANNERCODE]
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The thing is, it has SUCH a simple solution - allow the person who is targeted unwillingly to walk away. No need for complaints. I personally think this is bordering on snub abuse, and it's also pretty obvious the person knows how much the action is unliked. It's being an irritant just because they can. Why should we have to suck it up and get over it, when it can be nipped in the bud, very easily? If she wants nothing to do with me, that is fine and dandy, but she should NOT be able to hide behind the snub to avoid any in character griping I might have of her action. I would love to actually talk to her about it, but because of her snub, I can't. So, I'm left with an annoying action that I can not do a single thing about, while she giggles away behind her snub. I mean, really? I don't think what we've been asking is all that unreasonable or immature.

• edited February 2013
    Well, first of all, the admin's lack of action probably speaks volumes on the priorities--they have not really responded to any of the figurine threads (be it change in arts or unpeace the aetherplex), outside of some brief non-confirmatory comments.

And I think even if they are planning this--in the case of arts, it might be a little harder to code than you think, in which case I think if Iosai was told "spend a week or two to fix arts, and ignore getting the new skillsets out", people would be after your head.  Arts has worked like that since the beginning--some "fixes" aren't easy and have can cause regression errors in coding.  So you may have to be patient.

[BANNERCODE]
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Uh, making it a channeled action is unlikely to be "harder than you'd think".  They've made any number of things channeled actions in the game.  There are a bunch of instakills, there's raising shrines, there's teleporting, and so on and so forth.
  • I did not participate in the previous thread about this, but I just want to note, there's nothing wrong with changing mechanics to resolve a problem, if there is one. Objections of it taking up admin resources are not relevant. An issue is a reasonable alternate solution, but it is also going to distract and tie up admin resources just as much as coding a fix. The thing that should be discussed here is whether or not there is a problem. If there is, a solution, any solution, should then be implemented, whether it be an issue or a request for a code fix.

• Xenthos said:
    Uh, making it a channeled action is unlikely to be "harder than you'd think".  They've made any number of things channeled actions in the game.  There are a bunch of instakills, there's raising shrines, there's teleporting, and so on and so forth.
    Doesn't mean there wouldn't be unforseen side effects.  Some systems seem simple but they touch a lot of variables on the code.  Anyway, it would likely be Iosai, Roark, or another who'd know for sure.
    Lerad said:
    Objections of it taking up admin resources are not relevant
    I wasn't objecting, but I was saying it may be lower on the priority list for them.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    It is not snub abuse. That is the administration's stance on it, and it's unlikely to change.

Thanks for your understanding.
This discussion has been closed.