Just Simo Stuff (oh, and something new and cool for Halli culture nerds)

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
I didn't clean this up to be from a neutral perspective, and I left some of my commands and stuff in to expose my fumbling. In-game, this device has some nice color effects when I probe it, too. :>

@Sylandra if this doesn't bring you around on Simo, I don't know what will.

7-8 Kiani, 547

Grand Foyer of the Hallifaxian Opera House.
Banks of clouds roil about here. A crystalline milestone is tastefully displayed here upon a rounded pedestal. Dominating the northern wall is a wide set of ruby curtains, adorned with golden fringe and bearing tassels that beg to be pulled. Dressed in his best friendly smile and outfit, Simo Tubinsio is here tending to a concession stand cart. Crystalline armour fit to his body, a custodian of order patrols the shopping district.
You see exits leading southeast, southwest, down, and in (closed door).
ih
"milestone59604"              a crystalline milestone
"curtains326909"              a wide set of ruby curtains
"simo264325"                  Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin
"custodian153496"             a custodian of order
Number of objects: 4

p curtains
Richly coloured, plush velvet has been painstakingly pleated to make the base of these curtains. At the hem of the fabric has been sewn a thick, golden fringe, made of both golden thread and thin strands of the metal itself. This fringe is mirrored at either end of the curtains, and a heading has been added in the same style. The curtains are closed over the northern wall, encompassing most of it, and have been secured with a thick red-and-gold tassled rope that awaits a ceremonial pull.
It weighs about 5 pounds.
It has the following aliases: curtains, drapes.

You stare in intent contemplation of a wide set of ruby curtains.

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin wiggles his rear around, as if he were trying to wag a tail.

You say, "Good evening, my good man."

Daraius dips his bewhiskered canid muzzle politely to Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin.

"Good evening, Minister!" Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin pronounces proudly, dipping into a perfectly executed bow. "The engineers just finished working on it, sir."

Effusing a faint flurry of golden motes as his tail flicks back and forth happily, you say, "Ah, fantastic news. I knew I could trust you to handle things despite my egregious failure to follow up on the project."

Though no blush can be seen through his pelt, Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin's wagging tail and suddenly straighter spine betray his delight. "I'm very honoured to have been asked to help present it, sir. I'd wondered if perhaps no one else was available, and they thought that just because I was close..." He coughs softly. "I'm very honoured."

With no warning, Alexandria materialises into existence in the blink of an eye, the faint blur of an afterimage from the down the only trace of her movement.

A soft sound somewhere between a chuckle and a growl rumbles in Daraius's chest. "Well," he says earnestly to Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin, "you do take such good care of the foyer. I wouldn't have anything disruptive installed without your oversight."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin nods his head solemnly, before turning to bow deeply to Alexandria. "It's been very intriguing to see all the work that's gone into it, sir," he says, turning back to you. "I don't understand much of it myself, but then it's not my job to."

You smile and say, "I do hope we can rustle you up a bit more of an audience."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin says, "With respect, sir, I'd not actually summoned anyone yet. I imagine more will come when I do."

"That is, requested people to come," Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin clarifies, looking sheepish and nervous at his slip. He turns to busy himself with adjusting things on the stand.

Daraius raises his paws and emits another chuckling growl. "Of course," he says good-naturedly. "You are as fine an impresario as the Ministry could ask for. I leave the summoning in your capable paws."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin fluffs up his tail, making it more appealing to look at.

Alexandria smiles gently at Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin and inclines her head politely, seemingly content to listen for the moment.

(Hallifax): Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin says, "Good evening, honoured persons. I am very honoured and delighted to invite you to attend the foyer of the Opera House for the imminent unveiling of a new project by the Ministry for Cultural Affairs."

You wag your tail happily.

(Hallifax): Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin says, "There is of course plenty of time for all to make their way here safely!"

Nelras inclines his head politely to those around him.

Glancing back to the auditorium, you say, "I might have overseen the project more directly, but I've found my acting career has rather flourished since returning to the office of Minister of Culture."

Daraius dips his bewhiskered canid muzzle politely to Nelras.

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin says to you, "That is a very noble reason for diversion, Minister. I hope though that you shall be willing to make a final bit of involvement in the project, for the unveiling."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin bows respectfully to Nelras.

Daraius's eyes sparkle behind the lenses of a pair of thin spectacles. "I'd be honored, dear Simo," he says with a toothy smile. "What would you have me do?"

Moving over to the curtains, Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin adopts a courtier's stance and gestures to the cords holding the curtains closed. "Not now, of course!" he adds quickly, pulling the paw back to his chest. "When it is time. But as a ceremonial duty, it ought to be performed by the Minister."

A low, contented growl arises within your chest.

You nod your head at Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin.

Onya inclines her head politely to those around her.

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin bows respectfully to Onya.

Daraius dips his bewhiskered canid muzzle politely to Onya.

Nelras inclines his head politely to Onya.

Quintessence Nelras Shevat says, "It is good to see that a few of us have gathered here already. I wonder how many more will arrive before we get to see what lies behind those curtains."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin cocks his head to the side as if listening. "I think that perhaps this will be all of us," he says, "but I will wait just a few moments more to be certain. It would be rude to start prematurely."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin rubs his large paws together in evident nervousness.

Daraius leans over slightly and whispers some words of reassurance in Simo's ear.

Nelras nods his head at Simo. "Indeed it would be best to wait a little while longer," he says. A reassuring smile comes to his lips and he adds, "I am sure that the reveal will go well, no matter how many of us are able to attend."

Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin stands a little taller once more, now grasping his paws together behind his back. "Yes, Quintessence. I think everyone will be delighted at what the city engineers have produced."

(Hallifax): Simo Tubinsio, a mastiff furrikin says, "We shall begin the unveiling momentarily, if anyone else desires to attend."

Daraius's aura brightens as he glances from Simo Tubinsio to a wide set of ruby curtains, his tail stirring up golden motes as it swishes excitedly behind him.

Eyes darting nervously over the gathered audience, Simo Tubinsio clears his throat. "If I may have everyone's attention then, please."

You swivel your ears towards Simo Tubinsio, listening with rapt attention.

Onya nods her head at Simo Tubinsio.

Nelras turns his attention to Simo Tubinsio.

Alexandria smiles softly.

"We are gathered here today to witness the unveiling of a recent project, commissioned by the Ministry for Cultural Affairs and approved by the Board of Directors." Though Simo Tubinsio rocks lightly from one foot to the other, he manages to keep his voice booming and clear. "For many years now, the Minister and his aides have been exhibiting paintings here in the Grand Foyer, to better advertise the stage's productions."

Simo Tubinsio smiles warmly at you. "Sadly, grand as the foyer is, it is only so large, and already bears many exhibits. Thus the Ministry requested that perhaps the city might find a way to display all of these artworks more permanently."

With this, Simo Tubinsio steps backwards from the curtains, leaving you alone beside them. "Minister, would you care to unveil the fruit of the city's efforts? You need only pull on the tassels of the curtain, there."

You nod your head emphatically.

Stepping forward to perform your ceremonial duties, you proudly lift a paw and tug at the red and gold tassel in the centre of the curtains. With a flourish, they pull back: motes of ruby and gold light sparkle about them in a glamoured display as they fall away to reveal the wide billboard attached to the wall.

You wag your tail happily.

p billboard
Comprised primarily of a wide, thick gilt frame, this billboard has been covered with black velvet to form a backdrop to its central display. Proudly set at the centre of the billboard, the advert for Of Blood and Roses, Part One has been perfectly placed to catch the eye. The frame has been carefully carved from hardwood into a simple but ornate shape, reminiscent of striating cirrus clouds. Thus formed, it has then been painted with gold leaf to form a beautiful complement to its subject. To one side of the billboard stands a catalogue bound with similar black velvet, cursive golden embroidery proclaiming it to contain the billboard's list of archived displays.
It weighs about 39 pounds.
A billboard advertising Of Blood and Roses, Part One is holding:
Nothing.
It has the following aliases: billboard, display.

As an aide to the Minister for Cultural Affairs, you can:
- PUT PAINTING IN BILLBOARD to archive something.
- PUSH BILLBOARD MOVE [catalogue number] [category] to move an item to the correct category. There
are three categories: Play, Lecture and Performance.
- PUSH BILLBOARD SPOTLIGHT [catalogue number] to bring something to the front of the display.

To study the billboard's archive in more detail, you can:
- PUSH BILLBOARD VIEW ARCHIVE [category] to view the catalogue list. There are three categories:
Play, Lecture and Performance.
- PUSH BILLBOARD VIEW PAINTING [catalogue number] to view an archived painting in detail.

Taking a step closer to the billboard to examine it, Nelras nods his head approvingly.

Simo Tubinsio wags his tail so happily that it catches against one of the columns beside him. He disguises his flinch of pain with a large-pawed gesture towards the billboard. "You can see that it is already exhibiting the Ministry's most recent painting," he says proudly.

Comprehension dawns upon Onya's face as her body glows with blushing hues of pink and topaz.

Hopefully, Simo Tubinsio says to you, "Minister, do you perhaps have any formerly exhibited paintings upon your person?"

Studying a billboard advertising Of Blood and Roses, Part One closely with a light green glow to her form, Alexandria gives a cheerful smile and turns back to listen to you.

You have emoted: Daraius looks over a billboard advertising Of Blood and Roses, Part One with open curiosity, his gaze roving over every inch of the fine construction. At Simo's question, his ears perk up attentively. "As a matter of fact..." he says, sorting through some of his belongings.

Simo Tubinsio claps his large paws together in delight. "If you would like to place it into the billboard, the attendants will take it into storage. We have had the store room enchanted to prevent the decay of paintings stored therein."

You smile and say, "Ah, how clever."

put 16763 in display
You put a painting of The Hours, Like Dust into a billboard advertising Of Blood and Roses, Part One.

Waving a hand, you summon an attendant to carry the painting away for archival within the display racks. The attendant bows, and slips through a hidden door behind one of the columns with the artwork. A few moments later they return and make a note in the catalogue, advising you that it has been automatically assigned to the Play category.

[HINT]: If you intend this painting to be categorised under Lecture or Performance, please PUSH BILLBOARD MOVE [num] [category] to assign it.

push billboard view archive play
You flick through the catalogue that accompanies the billboard, turning its gilt pages to view the archived displays in the Play category.

*******************************[ Archived Plays ]*******************************
Catalogue Reference  Play Title                                                 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
299405               Of Blood and Roses, Part One
16763                The Hours, Like Dust
********************************************************************************

Gesturing to the catalogue, Simo Tubinsio says, "Now, you may all view this painting for so long as it remains archived. Examine the billboard closely to discover how."

push billboard view painting 16763
Taking the time to browse through the archive, you open the catalogue of plays and request one of the paintings to view in more detail. An attendant quickly brings you the item in question, holding it up before you.

You stand before The Hours, Like Dust and observe its form.

Rendered in airy pastel watercolours, the windswept spires of the Beacon of Harmony stand sentinel around the perfect crystal sphere of the Matrix. Diminutive trill and lucidian silhouettes dash about the bridges and walkways, their forms little more than frantic brushstrokes, urgent and kinetic, hastening from dangers unseen and unknown. Below them, sickly, smoky tendrils grasp at the scaffolds and support structures beneath the Matrix. Above, wispy white clouds coil sinuously through the glittering towers, darkening as they ascend into billowing, roiling thunderheads. Emerging from those subtle shades and gradations of stormy grey, three pairs of cloudy visages overlook the tableau, concern and determination writ across their indistinct features as they survey the chaos beneath. Only the Matrix stands as a lone bastion of serenity amid this scene of frenetic foreboding, its flawless surface sparkling in bright defiance of the darkness above and below.

Alexandria breathes out quietly, "Perfect. A wonderful effort."

"At the Board's request, we have sorted it into three categories, that you may better find what you are looking for," Simo Tubinsio explains with a smile, as people move to examine the billboard.

push billboard spotlight 16763
With the help of one of the Opera House attendants, you have the present spotlight display removed for archival, replacing it with your chosen selection.

Simo Tubinsio says to you, "You and your aides, Minister, may change the spotlight painting, change the category of a painting, or add paintings. Only you personally may remove them."

You smile and say, "This is quite ingenious. All of the Ministry's specifications are met, and yet I'm thoroughly charmed and impressed by the functionality."

Simo Tubinsio puffs up with pride, nodding his head in excited agreement. "The engineers have done a very good job, sir. I will be sure to give them your compliments."

push billboard view archive play
You flick through the catalogue that accompanies the billboard, turning its gilt pages to view the archived displays in the Play category.

*******************************[ Archived Plays ]*******************************
Catalogue Reference  Play Title                                                 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
299405               Of Blood and Roses, Part One
16763                The Hours, Like Dust
********************************************************************************
remvoe 16763 from billboard
That is not a valid command.
remove 16763 from billboard
Remove from what?
take 16763 from billboard
A billboard advertising The Hours, Like Dust doesn't contain that.

You pause for a second in contemplation.

You ask, "Pardon my ignorance, but is there a special procedure for removing a painting?"

[HINT]: PUSH BILLBOARD REMOVE [catalogue number].

Simo Tubinsio leans over and gives the necessary instructions.

You thank Simo Tubinsio profusely.

Looking over his collection of paintings, you say, "Just in case something unwarranted slips in there."

Simo Tubinsio tells you, "You should be able to see instruction that when you probe the billboard carefully, sir. If you cannot, I'll have a word with the engineers."'

Onya's eyes sparkle with amusement.

His tone perfectly placid, you say, "We wouldn't want to be advertising oil slicked clangoru, savagely entwined, for instance."

[painting spam]

Quintessence Nelras Shevat says to Simo Tubinsio, "I believe the Minister may be speaking of something that typically occurs at the Ascension Gala."

Recovering from the comment thanks to the explanation, Simo Tubinsio says to you, "It is best that you advise your aides to always title the paintings after the productions, sir, as you have done yourself."

You tell Simo Tubinsio, "Most of the instructions are apparent, yes, but nothing on removal. I will remember, of course, but my successors may appreciate the note."

You nod your head at Simo Tubinsio, showing your acceptance.

Simo Tubinsio's eyes lose focus for a moment, the telltale sign of someone communicating telepathically. A few moments later a slender lucidian engineer comes in, dipping into a bow. They begin to examine the billboard, making a few adjustments to something unseen in its inner workings.

The engineer pulls up to confer with Simo Tubinsio for a moment.

Simo Tubinsio tells you, "Try now, sir?"

Tapping his chin contemplatively, you say, "I suppose if someone were to memorialize the event on stage..."

p billboard
Comprised primarily of a wide, thick gilt frame, this billboard has been covered with black velvet to form a backdrop to its central display. Proudly set at the centre of the billboard, the advert for The Hours, Like Dust has been perfectly placed to catch the eye. The frame has been carefully carved from hardwood into a simple but ornate shape, reminiscent of striating cirrus clouds. Thus formed, it has then been painted with gold leaf to form a beautiful complement to its subject. To one side of the billboard stands a catalogue bound with similar black velvet, cursive golden embroidery proclaiming it to contain the billboard's list of archived displays.
It weighs about 39 pounds.
A billboard advertising The Hours, Like Dust is holding:
Nothing.
It has the following aliases: billboard, display.

As an aide to the Minister for Cultural Affairs, you can:
- PUT PAINTING IN BILLBOARD to archive something.
- PUSH BILLBOARD MOVE [catalogue number] [category] to move an item to the correct category. There are three categories: Play, Lecture and Performance.
- PUSH BILLBOARD SPOTLIGHT [catalogue number] to bring something to the front of the display.

As Minister for Cultural Affairs, you can:
- PUSH BILLBOARD REMOVE [catalogue number] to remove a painting.

To study the billboard's archive in more detail, you can:
- PUSH BILLBOARD VIEW ARCHIVE [category] to view the catalogue list. There are three categories: Play, Lecture and Performance.
- PUSH BILLBOARD VIEW PAINTING [catalogue number] to view an archived painting in detail.

You tell Simo Tubinsio, "Excellent. Thank you, good Simo."

You shake your head.

Simo Tubinsio reaches out to shake the engineer's much smaller hand, beaming at them. They scurry out with a pleased but slightly overwhelmed look on their face.

Turning from a billboard advertising The Hours, Like Dust to Simo Tubinsio, Daraius says warmly, "You have mine and the Ministry's deepest gratitude for overseeing the installation, comrade."

Smiling politely, Nelras adds, "And that of the Board, as well."

Simo Tubinsio dips once more into a deep bow. "It has been my honour, Minister," he says with great pride, his deep voice turning slightly thick. At Nelras's words he quickly sketches another bow. "Thank you, Quintessence. I look forward to seeing many wonderful paintings."

Simo Tubinsio's ears twitch back and forth, pointing towards every new sound.

With especially precise folds, you assemble a paper star from four sheets of vellum.

You ask, "Until such a time as I can have a more official badge made up for you, would you accept this as signifying your honorary aideship to the Ministry of Culture?"

With a contented growl, you give a paper star to Simo Tubinsio.

Halfway to saying something, Simo Tubinsio pauses, his mouth dropping agape. He cradles the origami in his hands as one might the most delicate of baby animals, and gazes at it with glossy, liquid-brown eyes. "Sir! Sir, I - of course, sir!" he stammers, his powerful figure trembling slightly.

Very gingerly, Simo Tubinsio lifts the star and affixes it to his lapel like a buttonhole.

You have emoted: Daraius dips his bewhiskered canid muzzle to Simo Tubinsio in gratitude, smiling fondly as his tail whips behind him. "You were saying?" he offers helpfully.

Simo Tubinsio rubs at one triangular ear with a massive paw, smiling sheepishly. "I only wished to thank everyone for coming, sir."

Marquessa Alexandria Shevat, the Effervescent Sylph says to Simo Tubinsio, "It was our pleasure to support the endeavours of a fellow citizen."

Effusing golden motes that drift like wayward fireflies, you say, "Ah, indeed, I extend the same thanks on behalf of the Ministry. I trust this display will delight generations of theater-goers to come.

Simo Tubinsio says to Alexandria, "Many citizens, Minister. Many! But it is my pleasure to accept your support and thanks on their behalf."

Marquessa Alexandria Shevat, the Effervescent Sylph smiles and says, "Certainly."

Eyes still flicking towards his lapel as if in disbelief, Simo Tubinsio makes his way back over to the concession stand and takes his usual position back up.

Contemplating a billboard advertising The Hours, Like Dust thoughtfully, Daraius muses, "I shall have to draw something up for our most recent production, and for all the classics that are missing."

You smile impishly and say, "Perhaps citywide effort is in order."

Simo Tubinsio nods his head enthusiastically at you.

Nelras nods his head in agreement with you. "Perhaps it is," he says with a hint of a smile. "I believe that arranging for such a thing would be the purview of your ministry, would it not?"

You tap your nose knowingly at Nelras.

You say to Simo Tubinsio, "Thank for your continued service to the Collective, comrade. As ever, may you be well, and your efforts fruitful."

His eyes softening in quiet pride and appreciation, Simo Tubinsio says, "It is an honour to serve the Collective. My family is proud of my accomplishments in returning to the city to make a living."

Turning to the remaining citizens and offering a bow, you say, "Likewise to the rest of you. I trust I'll see you all at the Opera House sooner or later. Do be sure to stop by Simo's stand on the way in."

Simo Tubinsio bows much more carefully, eyes trained on his origami star to ensure its safety as he moves.

Marquessa Alexandria Shevat, the Effervescent Sylph says, "I do enjoy treats, though I'm in the bad habit of carrying them around already."

Alexandria quickly devours a swirling nebula macaron cookie.

Your eyes sparkle with amusement.

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Nelras's lips as he glances at Alexandria.

Dipping his muzzle politely, you say, "Until then, fair winds, good citizens."
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Wow, forums. Way to go. :D  

Here's how Simo looked by the end of it.

Dressed in his best friendly smile and outfit, Simo Tubinsio is here, a paper star affixed to his lapel.

Tall for a furrikin, Simo Tubinsio is seven feet high with a sleek, short-haired pelt covering his body in a single, shimmering hue of silvery blue. Simo is a gentle giant of his race with regal and dignified canine features enhanced by a powerful, well-formed and smoothly muscled figure. Distinguished and finely chiselled beneath the eyes, his head and face exhibit a sweet temperament, kindly and patient, with a square jaw and deep muzzle. Almond-shaped eyes of liquid brown are deep set, fathomless pools of intelligence and tolerance framed by floppy, triangular ears. Massive paws extend beyond his dapper white dress shirt and navy blue jacket complete with matching slacks and polished, black brogues. Affixed to his lapel is a crisply folded paper star of golden vellum.
    Simo Tubinsio is not one to be trifled with.
    I used to make cakes.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Endless thanks to @Czixi and anyone else who worked on the painting display. You best believe I'm going to pack that thing full. :)

And If it's not clear, Simo is best boy. This patron request was just an excuse for me to hang out with him. 
    I used to make cakes.