Hallifax Romance

A lot of this was so adorable it made me laugh.

Merlose pauses for a moment, swirling her tea in her cup before looking up. "Can I ask a question? You don't have to answer if it's too personal. You're not from Hallifax originally, right? What brought you here?"

Kethaera gives only a slight wince at the question, but covers it by taking another sip of tea. "It was not an easy decision, coming here. For many years I couldn't imagine turning from those I considered family." Dropping her cup, she adds, "But... it was ultimately Lady Isune that made me realize that I could not ignore the harm ofthe Wyrd, lacking in the true beauty of its original creation. So, I would say She did, toanswer your question."

Merlose listens quietly, still swirling her tea. "The Lady Isune... I've never met Her, just heard about Her from papa. It's interesting, I suppose She has a powerful pull." She adjusts her position, swing her legs down to rest her feet on the ground. "I'm sorry to hear about your family, though. I won't press on what happened, but... do you have anyone here? Any new people? Or just the Aesthete and the Adherents?"

Kethaera stares down into her cup, her expression subdued. "There are friends... your father, and grandfather, and Lady Aramel. So, there are people," says, and glances back up at Merlose. "And I only occasionally feel like an outsider," she adds, with a slightly forced smile.

Merlose blinks and sets her cup in her lap, leaning closer. "Occasionally...? That won't do, you should never feel like an outsider. You're one of us! And I think you need more people. I think family is the most important thing, and if you've lost yours, well..." A brief pained look crosses her face, then she continues with a bold smile. "You don't just need friends, you need family here."

Merlose opens a curious travelling trunk.

Merlose rummages around in her trunk with the determination of a woman on a mission. "Did I ever show you that painting mom made me way back when, when she was teasing me? I have it here somewhere... Aha!"

Merlose takes a painting of Probabilities from a curious travelling trunk. 

Merlose proudly shows off a painting of Probabilities: 

This painting fills only a small portion in the centre of the canvas, the rest left an unfinished white. A loboshigaru girl stands right in the centre, a faintly bewildered expression on her not entirely detailed face, as she looks at the small faeling perched on her shoulder. The entire picture is clearly only a quick creation, done in black and grey with as little detail as necessary to portray it. 

Researcher Merlose Shevat, the Windseeker says, "She called it Probabilities. But given her penchant for meddling, I'm wondering if there was a deeper probability than what she just quickly drew. You know?""

Kethaera studies the painting, fighting back a giggle as her smile turns more genuine. "It does look like something your mother might come up with," she says, her solemn tone giving no hint of knowing any deeper meaning about the painting. "I suspect she takes too much after her mother."

To Merlose, Kethaera adds, "I... wager there is some intent behind it. I've had conversations with her myself that would suggest as much. But what are your feelings on the matter? Er... not just about the painting..." 

Merlose turns the painting to study it once again, peering around the edges at you as she does. "I think, it's meant that we're supposed to be..." She sets the painting down, leaning it against the table. "I do really like you Kethaera. I always have, and I keep brightening whenever I see you. I'm okay with being friends if you want to be friends! But I'm okay with... other Probabilities, if you're interested in being... close friends." There's a pause. "Family, even. " She ducks her head, and it's hard to tell but she might be blushing beneath her white fur. 

Kethaera sets her teacup down on the table, taking care to place it far from the painting. She holds one hand against her head, as if trying to hide. "Well... I could certainly see the appeal in that. In the suggestion," she adds, hastily. "Um..." the faeling hesitates for a long moment, unable to come up with anything to say. "Would you...want me to write up a contract?" 

Merlose blinks twice, and the giggles, a look of some relief on her face. "Oh! Um, I don't... I don't really know how this is done? Do we do contracts? I can do a contract. I thought we would just hug and then I send you gifts and stuff. We can put that in the contract, I guess. But we don't have to commit to anything serious just yet, we can just see how things go and if we get along and if we like each other a lot and...." she trails off into her usual happy hum.

Kethaera bites back another grin and lowers her hand back to her lap. "Ah... if you mean Hallifax generally, there is some precedent, but it's not a law. I just...like the paperwork." Adding, with a smile, "But I am fine with keeping it informal. Hugs and gifts and all."

Researcher Merlose Shevat, the Windseeker smiles and says, "Well, if you like the paperwork, then I'm good with it too. Let's you do a contract, and I do gifts and such."

With a giggle, you say, "Then I will include in the contract to give you gifts as well."

Merlose beams broadly.

Kethaera holds out her hands to Merlose, barely reaching to the table.

Merlose reaches over, taking your hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. "Thank you, Keth," she says with a sincere smile.

Kethaera returns the squeeze, and smiles back warmly at Merlose. "Of course. Thank you, as well. For now, please excuse me. We will speak again soon."

Researcher Merlose Shevat, the Windseeker smiles and says, "Go with fair winds."

You smile and say, "And clear skies to you."

Merlose gets up off a low, cushioned chair of beryl-hued cedar. 

Merlose hugs you compassionately.

You get up off a low, cushioned chair of beryl-hued cedar.

You hug Merlose compassionately.

With one final smile, Kethaera retrieves her cup from the table and exits the teahouse.
"Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    So happy my tea house continues to serve its crucial role in Hallifaxian society.  <3
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited January 2020

You say to Merlose, "So? Don't keep me in suspense!"

Alexandria puts aside a silver jeweller's hammer and a worn spectral chisel, turning her attention to Merlose.

Merlose grabs your hands as soon as they are emptied, bouncing excitedly as she says in her usual excited rush, "I talked to Kethaera and one thing led to another and I asked if she wanted to be my girlfriend and she said something about contracts which I guess means that yes she does and now I need to find out what sort of things she likes so I can send her presents."

Merlose closes her eyes and inhales deeply, absorbing the scent of her surroundings.

Merlose exhales slowly, allowing a long fluid breath to creep from her lungs.

Alexandria claps her hands together delightedly, her wings bobbing slightly as she also bounces up slightly on the tips of her toes. "Oh, that is exciting! And you sound so happy, I'm so glad for you, dear!" Smiling brightly, she asks, "You will tell me if I can help you with this, yes?"

Merlose smiles with happy relief. "Ohhh, of course, yes, I'll need your help. I don't... I don't even know what I'm doing! I didn't even know contracts were a part of this whole thing. I guess I should have assumed but still."

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!