Art and Doubt

Context: There had been a guild discussion about the role of the Symphonium in Hallifax, so after the conversation I went to spam greet the master artists and try think of words that they might have a reaction to. Then this happened!

You say to Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia, "Can you tell me about your work as a Master
Artist?"

You ponder for a moment and say "Hrm..."

In a clipped tone, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "I have no desire for an apprentice
at this time, thank you. I have quite enough amateurs running about my gallery."

You say, "Oh, apologies if I disturbed you."

You say, "Ah, we were having a discussion about the nature of art and the Symphonium. I thought it
might prove helpful to learn the insight of a more esteemed artist such as yourself."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia allows herself a thin-lipped smile.

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "I see you are proficient in flattery, if not in the
arts."

You smile softly.

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "You need not bother, though. I am well aware of my
status in the city, regardless of whether or not its citizens see fit to laud me with praise."

You say, "I try to speak only the truth."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "And this is what motivates you to be an artist, then?
Truth."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia gazes coolly at you, her gaze penetrating.

You say, "Well being truthful, I have been somewhat aimless and unsure of if I even could be
considered an artist."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia laughs, a sharp staccato of sound.

Smirking slightly, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Then perhaps you do speak only the
truth."

You say, "Is art about capturing the truth of something then, maybe?"

Nonchalantly, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Is truth not one of the higher emotions
that Chairman Cririk Adom urged Hallifax to espouse?"

HALLIFAX NEWS #1
Date: 12/23/2009 at 1:18
To  : Everyone
Subj: The Opening of Hallifax

Welcome and salutations, new citizens of the City of Hallifax. You
should take pride in being part of the Second Founding of Hallifax. When
Hallifax was a vassal state of the Celestine Empire, it was content to
be but a cog in the wheel that brought many centuries of peace,
prosperity and plentitude to the Basin of Life. Unfortunately, those
days have long passed.

With the Basin of Life splintered into political factions, it is our
duty to bring peace, harmony and civilized society throughout the land.
Once others understand that the way of Hallifax is the way of unity,
they will flock to our gates. For those who choose ignorance and refuse
to see that only through unity will there be peace, we will have to
develop ways to reeducate them for their own good.

None of us are important individually; rather, we are the sum total of
the whole. Hallifax teaches to overcome the base emotions of fear,
greed, hatred, lust and envy, and exalt in pure logic, science and
reason. We also do not spurn the higher emotions inspired by love,
beauty, truth and honour. Only through positive thought can positive
action arise.

Together, we shall see science defeats superstition, logic overcomes
base emotions, and reason triumphs over ignorance. Thus, a new era
begins today in the Basin of Life, and it is my great privilege to share
it with you.

Cririk Adom
Governor, City of Hallifax
First Day of the Second Founding

Penned by my hand on the 7th of Avechary, in the year 253 CE.

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia inspects her nails idly, glancing up at you with faint
boredom.

You say, "Ah, I know little about those, but I see that it is, yes."

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia's lips.

With a cheeky grin, you say, "So that was a roundabout way of saying... yes?"

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Then perhaps we begin there. Education is as key as
observation, if one wishes to write about something other than the simplistic state of one's own
mind. Tell me, Symphonist, do you not agree that art inspires and informs other art?"

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia waits with icy composure.

You say, "I think that it can do, yes. Morbo's example of Aithera's poem was a good example."

You say, "Well, a good example of being inspirational at least, I don't know if it has inspired
other art."

Continuing, as if she has not heard you, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "So an artist
must not only be a creator, but a curator. One must seek out other works of art, scholarly or
literary, and learn from their techniques. At times, one will learn from them how -not- to perform a
ballad."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia laughs sharply, as if she has told a particular funny joke.

Whispering to himself, you say, "Morbo's Lyric 1, Lyric 2..."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia waves her hand dismissively.

With a lingering trace of haughty amusement, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Ah,
amateurs. The emotions they do inspire can be quite what they do not intend."

You tilt your head and listen intently.

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "If one were to live the secluded life of a desert
nomad - havens forbid! - and never see any beauty aside from that of an oasis, can that nomad's art
ever compare to one who has seen the splendour of Hallifax, the changing beauty of Mt. Dio, or the
cloud gardens of Clarramore? The artist is limited by his or her own experiences."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Similarly, the artist is limited by one's own
techniques. Experience is nothing if the artist cannot channel it into something intentional,
something that evokes a visceral reaction beyond disgust or incomprehension."

You look thoughtful and say, "Maybe that's why I've been drifting. I think I lack both experience
and confidence in a medium of expression. Being a bard, I guess it should really be my songs."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia examines a wrinkle in her skirt with displeasure, smoothing
it out distastefully.

This trill is fairly short in stature, but with the posture of a queen; her proud, hawkish features
carry an expression of alertness and determination, without a trace of self-doubt or uncertainty.
She may be slight in figure, but there is no hint of delicacy about her. She is well-groomed: her
iron-grey feathers are elaborately coiffed, her magnolia-coloured robes perfectly arranged and
lavishly decorated. She wears a heavy silver necklace and a matching tiara, almost like a coronet in
shape; both are adorned with exquisitely cut diamonds, obviously set by a master jeweller. Her grey-
feathered wings are dusted with dark silver plumage, barely discernible until caught in direct light.
Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia appears to be extraordinarily strong.

Flatly, with a short laugh, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Well if you cannot
convince yourself that your art is meaningful, can you honestly expect your own audience to feel the
confidence that you do not?"

You say, "You are so free of self-doubt, is doubt among the lower emotions then, and must be
transcended?"

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "Doubt is an obstacle, nothing more. If one allows
oneself to succumb to doubt at all times, one will never attempt anything beyond feeble efforts at
garnering other's approval to make up for one's own lack of it."

Coldly, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "And if I cannot stand one thing, it is
watching doubt cripple otherwise capable artists. There is no pleasure in being the greatest artist
of the Collective merely by default."

You utter a deep, rumbling laugh.

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia lifts a dainty hand to her neckline, glancing about with
uncertain disdain.

You smile and say, "I recognise that you also speak the truth. I will have to work at overcoming my
doubts then."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia says, "See that you do. At your age, I had already written
several dissertations on the work of Jilai Clarramore and been showcased in several art galas." She
eyes you up and down, frowning. "See to it that you do not waste what talents and time you have been
given, hm?"

You bow respectfully to Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia.
Folding her wings so she can reach them easily, Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia preens her
wings happily, straightening out the disheveled feathers.

You say, "Thank you, Lady Silverplume."

Shalmae Silverplume, the Steel Magnolia waves her hand dismissively.

Comments

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I totally want to steal this mob now. She's awesome. Thank you for posting! :D