Skills for Newbies

I've been looking at what might be the bare minimum recommended for newbies to learn from non-class skills. Part of the consideration is whether they would actually need the skill for their first 50 levels or so, and how many lessons this would leave them for class skills. This is what I came up with, if you disagree with any or think there should be others please explain why.

Combat - Stratagems(9)
Discernment - Diagnose(9)
Planar - AdvancedTeleport(47)
Discipline - Curing(9)
Environment - Surveying(2)
Influence - Supplication(18)
Stratagems - I know not everyone recommends it, but from discussions with true newbies/IRE transplants on Hallifax discord, I consider it essential. There's so many basic QoL things that you can do even on nexus with barely any scripting knowledge, but you need stratagems to do them.

Diagnose - obvious, and they can pick up more lessons by using it.

AdvancedTeleport - The only question is whether they should learn up to astral, and I just don't think it's necessary before they get out of newton, at least. Even doing the planar quest, they shouldn't be there long enough for it to matter.

Curing - obvious, and they can pick up more lessons by using it.

Surveying - Most environment skills aren't really needed for a while, and the really useful ones are pretty far in.

Supplication - This one may be questionable, but at 18 lessons it gives newbies a much better chance of being able to beg from villagers(even named ones, in some villages), and also gives them access to analyze. As far as skills needed for up to level 50-60, it's very useful for a small investment.

Total: 94, leaving a little over 100 lessons for class skills(plus 50 from diagnose/curing).
"Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited April 2020

Can see the suggestions for initial learning, extended learning, etc. that Eliron put together there.  We also recommend stratagems, I think it's pretty important too.

Feel free to take anything from that you want, Eliron posted it specifically for sharing.  If any of it is useful to you whatsoever, by all means- anything that makes life easier for newbies is good.

• Xenthos said:

Can see the suggestions for initial learning, extended learning, etc. that Eliron put together there.  We also recommend stratagems, I think it's pretty important too.

Feel free to take anything from that you want, Eliron posted it specifically for sharing.  If any of it is useful to you whatsoever, by all means- anything that makes life easier for newbies is good.

Yeah, I've been looking through all the cghelp files via create character -> cghelp -> suicide. Generally they're similar. I like the explanation Eliron has in his scrolls though I don't agree with learning focusConstruct or dramatics, at least not immediately, same with arts. Arts I think is important to point out, though, cause when I was a newbie I didn't understand how to get empty vials, and finding out about glasswork was a revelation. I've since met other newbies that had the same problem. Still, now that newbies get basic enchantments and vials, it's not quite as important. (He does clarify that the class skills are more important)

Influence to supplication was taken from a Gaudiguch help file, and it's one I agree with. Some other orgs don't recommend stratagems, which is why I point out why I would.

If anyone's curious, the others currently were:

Hallifax
     - 9 lessons in Discernment, to Diagnose.
     - 9 lessons in Discipline, to Curing.
     - 47 lessons in Planar, to AdvancedTeleport
     - 2 lessons in Environment, to Survey.
     - 9 lessons in Combat, to Stratagem.
    Magnagora
     Combat        :    2    : Weaponprobe
     Discernment :    9    : Diagnose
     Discipline     :    9    : Curing
     Environment :    2    : Surveying
     Planar           :   28    : Cosmic
    Serenwilde
    2 COMBAT             Weaponprobe
    9 DISCERNMENT    Diagnose
    9 DISCIPLINE          Curing
    2 ENVIRONMENT    Surveying
    18 PLANAR             LiquidRift
    Celest
    Learn upto Astral in Planar - 94
    Learn upto Curing in Discipline - 9
    Learn upto Treading in Environment - 18
    Learn upto Stablemaster in Beastmastery - 41
    Learn upto Battle in Aethercraft - 6
    Gaudiguch
    - 9 lessons in Discernment, giving you the Diagnose ability.
      * Diagnose DIAG yourself to earn 25 bonus lessons!!!
    - 9 lessons in Discipline, giving you the Curing ability.
      * Start curing now AUTOCURING ON for 25 lessons!
    - 18 lessons in Planar, giving you the Liquidrift ability.
    - 2 lessons in Environment, giving you the Survey ability.
    - 2 lessons in Combat, giving you the Weaponprobe ability.
    - 18 lessons in Influence, giving you the Supplication ability.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."