Chocolate! Delicious Chocolate!

Sotsepmet is still leery of chocolate. Shulamit doesn't like those bunnies either, but after having eaten a handful of beans then cooked with them, she decided these ones are probably okay, or at least slow acting enough of a poison they can find a cure eventually. So she showed Sotsepmet some tricks!

Note - I don't know a lot of how chocolate actually works irl. I was bullshitting off the one term I did know.

- - -

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "I hope you've been well, and the gummy bears as well!"

Sotsepmet tells you, "On a steady schedule of naps and playtime, like all good gummies must be."

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "Most excellent! I worry about them not getting enough naps!"

Sotsepmet tells you, "You should see them! Laying on their backs, dozing down the Soda Stream. Little cute bear floats!"

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "Oh my goodness I can imagine it so well!"

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "I might have to paint it! But first I need to finish this new sandwich I'm making! It's a sponge cake with a creamy filling into which a sausage has been placed, and some creamy cheese placed on top."

Sotsepmet tells you, "That sounds amazing!"

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "It'll be an experience!"

Sotsepmet tells you, "I'm working on a jelly steak in the Kitchens, myself."

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "*slightly wavering* Not made from the bears, I hope?"

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "Coraline's things make me ask! Ignore all my peep designs myself!"

Sotsepmet tells you, "Oh, no my dear, they are gummi, not jelly. The viscosity and thickness are totally different."

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "*sounding slightly guilty* I should not cook peeps anymore, I do feel bad."

You tell Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum, "Oh! Fascinating! I wasn't sure there was a difference!"

Sotsepmet arrives from the northeast.

You grin mischievously at Sotsepmet.

Sotsepmet grins mischievously at you.

Sotsepmet pats a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames in a friendly manner.

Sparing little more than a curious look, a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames quickly turns away from Sotsepmet.

You raise your hand in greeting to Sotsepmet and say "Hi!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Sotsepmet, "He's been a good boy for today, not as much arfing."

You reach over to a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames and itch his back.

Looking endearingly at you, a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames bounces to your side and buries his head against your torso affectionately.

Wisps of exotically perfumed air tickle your nostrils, billowing away from Sotsepmet.

You are not fallen or kneeling.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Sotsepmet, "Did you want to learn about chocolate today? Is there time?"

You have emoted: Shulamit frets slightly, looking down at her watch.

A luminescent butterfly flutters in from the northeast, awashing the room in a glittery warmth.

Curious, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "If you've the time before needing rest. I'm here every month, there's no rush."

You nod your head emphatically.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I do not need to rest yet!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Maybe in a day or so, rest."

With a smile at the shrine, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "Lord knows He is keeping me busy!"

The corners of Sotsepmet's mouth turn up as he grins mischeviously.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "But not currently!"

"Oh?" you exclaim quizzically.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I've been busy with the Urchin in Ivory's thingies too, yes yes!"

Lips pursed, you say, "I need to update order scrolls."

You nod your head gravely in acknowledgement of the point.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "But, cocoa!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Cocoa has a lot of interesting properties, and I'm not an expert, so I will teach you...some!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "First we should go get some!"

You easily vault onto the back of a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames.

Sotsepmet gives a handful of cocoa beans to you.

You glow an astonished shade of mauve, eyes boggling out.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Or! This!"

Sotsepmet's eyes sparkle with amusement.

You step down off of a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames.

Sotsepmet utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

You have emoted: Shulamit steps down from a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames, nodding.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "Not to ruin a dramatic exit, but I did have some on hand."

You shake your head.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "It's better! Less walking!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I've found two things I like to do with it. One is to...temper it! I use it on ladyfingers."

You have emoted: Shulamit turns towards the oven, peering at it as it seems to have flickered out.

You ponder for a moment and say "Hrm..."

You remove 1 coal, bringing the total in the rift to 105.

You put a piece of coal into a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone.

You light a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone, and work the bellows until the flames burn hotly.

You have emoted: Shulamit quickly takes a small portion from the pile of cocoa beans. "Oh! Right. They have to be ground first!"

Pulling a second bag of cocoa beans from his apron, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "So, what is 'tempering'?"

You have emoted: Shulamit smacks her head. "Well, first, we have to grind it so it's like, powder, otherwise it's never going to become creamy".

Sotsepmet pulls a pair of mortars and pestles from a cupboard, laying them out on the countertop.

You have emoted: Shulamit quickly pulls out a small mortar and pestle, murmuring about artisan crafts before plopping the beans inside, grinding them into a fine powder, almost a paste.

You have emoted: Shulamit looks up, nodding at the mortars and pestles. "Oh! Yes!"

The fires in a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone start to flicker and then burn out.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Now! They are all...oven!"

Beginning to grind his own cocoa, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "A simple task, easily done."

You have emoted: Shulamit sighs at a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone.

You remove 1 coal, bringing the total in the rift to 104.

You put a piece of coal into a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "A mischievous oven, certainly."

You light a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone, and work the bellows until the flames burn hotly.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone, "Behave/!"

You have emoted: Shulamit nods, placing the ground paste into the pot, carefully heating it up on the stove top. "So! We want to get it to a specific temperature."

You have emoted: Shulamit nods as the chocolate becomes creamier and much more liquid. "So tempering is what makes chocolate have that really neat...snap! You might have seen on some ladyfingers."

A shiver runs down a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames's body, causing him to stretch out to his full, majestic length for several seconds before he scrunches down once again.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Or bars of chocolate!"

Sotsepmet ponders the situation.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "It makes the resulting liquid more... dense?"

You have emoted: Shulamit takes the chocolate off the stove, pulling an undecorated ladyfinger from her pack, carefully drizzling a layer over the top of the ladyfinger.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Watch as it cools."

The fires in a massive oven of salmon-tinted sandstone start to flicker and then burn out.

You have emoted: Shulamit waits a moment, watching as the chocolate slowly cools, taking on a hard, dense sheen. The chocolate looks dark and luxurious.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Now, if you were to bite into it, it'll crunch! If you don't temper, it...is less good. It's about temperature!"

You nod your head sagely.

Sotsepmet leans over the chocolate, frowning at it.

You have emoted: Shulamit gives a petite ladyfinger enrobed with chocolate to Sotsepmet.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "How many times can it be tempered? How hard does it become?"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "It can become quite hard! But if you get the chocolate mixture too hot, it seems to get...not tasty."

You slump down in sadness, slowly throbbing a deep amber.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I like it on ladyfingers, for the difference compared to the soft cake body. You can just melt the chocolate a little, and not get it to the right temperature, and it's...different. I'm not sure if there's a term for it!"

You nod your head slowly in understanding.

You think to yourself: Making words up! Good things! Probably is a word.

Worried, you say to Sotsepmet, "I only know a little!"

Wisps of exotically perfumed air tickle your nostrils, billowing away from Sotsepmet.

Tasting some of his own cocoa powder, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "It burns at a certain temperature, then? Hard until a point. Could it perhaps need more chocolate, like any refined item?"

Sotsepmet licks a handful of cocoa beans.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "They don't taste like much in raw form."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Well, I don't think it's quite like refining since that takes sooo much powder, but yes! You could use more! It turns more...thick and pasty and unpleasant. Seizes up!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Not very good raw, no no."

Woefully, you say, "Then burns."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "But! I've found that a nice creamy liquid of cocoa powder, cream, and fruits is really nice! It's a good soup!"

A look of understanding crossing his features, Sotsepmet nods his head slowly.

Thoughtfully, you say, "I call it a soup, but I've heard a few options for it."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "The cream helps to temper the bitterness that's in the cocoa alone. Cocoa powder by itself is very very strong."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Sometimes though, you want a little bitterness!"

You flit about happily.

Sotsepmet crouches down to stare closely at the powder in his mortar.

Thoughtfully, you say, "That's all I've managed to work out for cocoa! I know Coraline has done stuff with it as well! It's...in the peep chili! Terrifyingly! Smartness!"

Sotsepmet shudders violently.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Probably other things as well."

Sotsepmet looks up into the air for divine inspiration.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "Let us pray she's done something finer with it."

You have emoted: Shulamit pulls out a recipe for a dark chocolate tart. "This has a lot less cream in it, so it's a lot more bitter, but it's good! If you like it very strong."

Cheerfully, you say, "Been thinking of making a sandwich with it on some fluffy brioche style bread!"

A look of understanding crossing his features, Sotsepmet nods his head slowly.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "After the other sandwich."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Sotsepmet, "It's good fun! I did poke it and prod it and see if it made me feel sick, and so far! Not at all!"

Solemnly, you say, "I've been very mindful of myself to make sure! Can't have it be like the bunnies."

Sotsepmet picks up the mortar-full of cocoa powder and cups it in his hands like a favourite mug, moving to ponder the ladyfinger more closely.

You have emoted: Shulamit shakes her fist at the sky, grumbling about bunnies.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Oh, there was chocolate...drink from fountains that were stripped of the cocoa, so it was so weird, maybe could remake it. Oh! I think...was it Coraline that made a neat chocolate drink? Maybe!"

You scratch your head in confusion, the sound reminiscent of tinkling wind chimes.

You flit about happily.

Eyes roaming as he performs calculations in his head, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "I think this is going to be a-delightful- new chapter in my life."

Gaze coming to rest on the nearby shrine, Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "A grand new age indeed..."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Sotsepmet, "Wonderful! I am excited to see what you dream up! Your recipes are so lovely!"

You flit about happily.

Sotsepmet smiles softly.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I should head back to Their realm, I must ponder many things!"

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "Your own are legendary - even Father knew to use your cakes for His game last month."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Sotsepmet, "I will leave you with cocoa, and dreams of delicious rich chocolate!"

Sotsepmet's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

You give a handful of cocoa beans to Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum.

You flit about happily.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Here's the rest of the beans!"

You easily vault onto the back of a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames.

Revelrous Sotsepmet n'Lochli, Prophet of the Sugarplum says, "Bless you, Shulamit. Be well and true!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to a gemstone scaled seal with burning wings of flickering flames, "Let's go, Lord of ARF."

You wave goodbye at Sotsepmet.

Joy suddenly washes over you in waves, your entire body glowing a cheerful shade of citrine yellow.

Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.