Nymerya on Nifilhema

edited October 2020 in Event Scrolls
Just saying, I didn't want to talk to anymore stinky Magnagorans. But @Nymerya insisted, and I've heard... stories... about her. Plus she cornered me at the wheel, the sneaky devil.

Sparkling, essence-traced calculations precede Nymerya as she drifts in from the out.

Nymerya grasps the edge of the Wheel of Tzaraziko before giving it a heavy push, sending it spinning. Slow at first, the wheel begins to spin faster and faster, the air about it warping in a wild array of colours as it becomes impossible to watch.

You blink.

Nymerya ponders you thoughtfully, looking you up and down.

Nymerya grasps the edge of the Wheel of Tzaraziko before giving it a heavy push, sending it spinning. Slow at first, the wheel begins to spin faster and faster, the air about it warping in a wild array of colours as it becomes impossible to watch.

You say, "You sent me a letter..."

She is a fiendish archlich master viscanti demigoddess changeling and of small stature, with a plump and soft frame, and skin of a rich hue of dusty lavender. Her face is softly heart-shaped, with rounded cheeks and a small upturned nose that rests above a small, plump mouth. Her hooded violet eyes are flecked with molten gold and ringed with thick lines of smokey khol that swirl dramatically to disappear into her hair. Long, ebon hair is draped away from her face in soft curls that twine into loose braids before being piled atop her head, secured with strands of creamy seed pearls and brocaded silken ribbons. Full, feathered midnight wings extend far above her head, the dark limbs dusted with finely ground gold dust, whilst the lower flight feathers are stained a deep indigo. At the upper tips of her wings, thin silver chains are pierced through the supporting membrane, falling in tangled, oversized loops to a foot below the sweep of her wings, and holding a multitude of assorted charms, the majority formed small black pearls fashioned into miniature amaranth blossoms. An ethereal bracelet of azure flame rests upon her wrist, marking the truefavour of Raezon, the Forbidden upon her.

Menacing horns twist upon themselves like crooked spires on her head, their dully reflective circumferences rigid enough to accommodate silver wire criss-crossing to either side in a wretched dreamcatcher. Bent and cracked bells abuse their clappers betwixt these, a disharmony brought to life with each twist of head or subtle movement.
She is wearing:
a graceful skysilver amulet of clarity
an antique purse of silver-beaded silk
an elegant tiara of garnet-strewn iron filaments
an elegant wedding ring of filigreed iron and garnet
a petal-bodiced gown of silken ribbons and ivory medallion lace
a stole embroidered with binah.

The Wheel of Tzaraziko crackles with a brilliant display of colours, rewarding Nymerya with 50 Bound Credits.

Idly, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "I did, yes."

Vylasse edges around the cave toward the exit and says, "I appreciate the invitation, but I don't think there's anything else I need to know about them..."

Her mouth pursed in disappointment, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Except you were taught nothing of the Five in any case, and only given an ignoble death."

Vylasse hesitates, peering at Nymerya with suspicion. "Well... maybe... And you're going to say you won't do the same?"

Nymerya taps a gold-tipped nail against the amulet on her chest. "Do you have any idea what this is, child? I would expect not, but perhaps..."

Expression distracted, Vylasse barely glances at the amulet before shaking her head. "Oh, um... no. Not really."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says to you, "It is the symbol of Lord Elcyrion."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "He did not believe in raising a hand against sentients. I hold to His beliefs, though I follow another."

You look confused and say, "Truly? As a Magnagoran?"

Thoughtfully, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Yes. He named me His Paradox, for choosing not to slay sentient beings goes against many of the beliefs of the Engine. He did make allowances for where it had been requested, or where it was needed to defend territory."

Running a thumb over the edge of the amulet, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "So yes, I suppose you could say I am promising that I shall not sacrifice, or otherwise significantly injure you. Any demonstration that may require any act that could be seen as injurious, consent is required."

You look thoughtful and say, "You might not be telling the truth, though."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "If desired, we can simply sit and discuss things where you are protected. I do lie, but only where needed, and never about Lord Elcyrion for you must never speak ill of the lost or dead."

Still reluctant, Vylasse eases some of the tension out of her stance. "Certainly... not following you to Nil," she mutters.

Nymerya gives a trillingly melodic laugh.

Shaking her head amidst discordant tones, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Nil is not a requirement of education. Do you have a preferred location?"

With the hint of smile, you say, "Celest. But I figure that won't work."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "You may ask permission, but it is likely to be denied, indeed."

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Nymerya's lips.

Rubbing a paw over her chin, you say, "Um... most likely. What of, I don't know... Tolborolla?"

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Certainly."

You begin to follow Nymerya.

You follow Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame northeast to tangled hedgerows.

Nymerya considers the hedgerows before settling to the ground with a faint smile to herself, spreading her skirts around her and leaning back against the brambles. She turns to look at you thoughtfully, before gesturing for you to join her. "Now, perhaps you can start by telling me if you had any specific questions you wished to have answered?"

Superimposed over this location, an ethereal forest reaches up to the sky. Assorted brambles, vines and clambering plants wreath the evergreens and mulberry bushes clustered among the grass. Blackberry and raspberry brambles and wild grape vines offer a splendid feast to the local wildlife, and poisonous climbing ivy and nightshade warn of the more dangerous side to nature. The remains of an abandoned drystone wall are just visible hidden among the thick tangle of plants. A long-eared furrikin strolls around here, twitching her whiskers. Wreathed in cold flame and an aura of inclemency, a towering woman hovers imposingly, the symbol of Binah shining in her left eye.

Vylasse eyes Nymerya again and gingerly settles down on a patch of grass some distance away, brushing her garment out of the dirt. Folding her paws over her knees, she says, "I... suppose it is a question of comparison. I'm not sure what Shallamar was like, and less certain how anyone could follow the teachings of the beings that reside there now."

Tilting her head from one side to the other, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Well, we know Shallamar was a Radiant place, filled with Amaranth fields. Likely similar to your Celestia, however rather than teaching of the Light, the Holy Emanations focused on a system of court under the King, and interpretations of the Fates prophecy."

Despite her continued unease, Vylasse's ears perk up at the words and she nods, slowly, at Nymerya. "Right, the Fates," she murmurs. "Do you know much of what They taught in those days?"

Tapping a nail against her chin, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "I believe I wrote a book on it, though it was centuries ago and my memory is somewhat fuzzy. I can find you a copy later, if you like?"

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Frankly, from what I do recall, the Fates mostly were sought out by anyone with a question. The Fates spoke, and the Lord Baalphegar would interpret their words for the penitent."

You look thoughtful and say, "Oh... sure, I would appreciate that. And hmm, that's not much to go on, is it?"

A wry smile spreads across Nymerya's face.

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Unfortunate it seems much of the knowledge is somewhat hazy. I suspect intentionally, due to the Lord Baalphegar."

Showing that you understand, you nod your head slowly towards Nymerya.

Clapping her hands together, abruptly, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Now then."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "First, I would like to address the poor mishandling of the Queen. I fear I am most grossly offended by the brutal simplification that she is a justification for combat."

You say, "You don't agree with it?"

Waving a hand in negation, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "No, not such an oversimpliciation."

Nymerya purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "The Lady teaches us all that we step through the portal as incomplete. We are but a blank canvas, and it is the travels and trials we undergo that shape us."

You ponder for a moment and say "Hrm..."

You say, "What does that have to do with pain or cruelty?"

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Each moment of pain, is a pale echo of the experience. The greater the surface has been altered, the strong the memory, the more impactful the experience."

Comprehension flashes across your face.

Nymerya gives a small smile, and holds out a slim hand. "Will you give me your paw? I swear on all that I value, that you will not be killed, maimed, or in any shape Tainted or turned from your path."

Vylasse folds her ears back against her head. Keeping one eye on Nymerya, she extends a paw toward her, stopping a few inches from Nymerya's hand.

Nymerya reaches out and cups your paw gently in her palm, and pulls a hairpin out of her curls. With a quick motion she inserts the tip into the pads and then leans back again as a single bright droplet of blood beads. Her smile is kind, though with a dark edge to it. "Now. You will feel that for several days perhaps, and then it will heal and it will be as nothing, correct?" She replaces the pin in her hair with a slightly shrug. "But each time you press against and feel that tiny little stab of pain, you will think of this discussion, think of the Queen. Think of that minor cruelty that bestowed it on you, yes?"

Vylasse jerks her paw back immediately, cupping it with her other paw and folding both against her chest. Glaring at Nymerya now, she replies, "Cruelty is easy enough to remember from those of your city. I would still call that a form of harm."

Smiling briefly, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Ah, yes. But I did not say there would be no harm. I very carefully promised no maiming, killing, or Tainting, and that I would ask permission first. I adhered to the promises I made. But I will offer a new promise now. No other act I take will be any type of harm. The demonstration, however, was important to fully understand the meaning."

Muttering, you say, "Fine. I suppose that is technically true."

Lazily, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "I can see how those who do not truly follow the Queen may claim that it is a justification for combat, yet it is an ugly way of looking at it. The Art of the Queen is a path of Love, just like your little Raziela. Yet rather than trying to convert others by blinding them to the faults of the Light, the Lady merely shows that if we truly Love another, we ought to seek to bring them to completion."

Nymerya gesturing at you broadly. "You are incomplete, a blank Canvas upon which life is waiting to be painted in blood, in pain, in transformation. Even tattoos are a prayer to her."

Eyes narrowing, you say, "I think I prefer the other justification. Pain is not love, or compassion. But I will agree that I am incomplete, as you are as well."

Serenely, unbothered by your disbelief, Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "We are all incomplete, indeed. I prefer to come by my answers through honest means, with my own toil and pain. But I allow that there are value in all things, and I do not fault any who wish an easier path that does not ask such things of them."

Vylasse's mouth falls open, and she looks prepared to argue the point. Pausing, she takes a deep breath and shakes her head. "Very well. You have an interesting view of it, and I appreciate the answer."

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame says, "Mmm, shall we continue another time with the others of the Five? I should not like to monopolise all of your time."

With a weak smile, you say, "Oh yes, certainly. I would like to say I look forward to it."

Nymerya glances at you out of the corner of her eye as she stands, obviously amused and slightly pleased by your reaction. "Never fear, child. No sacrifice, remember?" She gives a wide, somewhat twisted smile as she reaches out to you rapidly.

Nymerya presses a thumb to your forehead, a cold shiver creeping down your spine as she offers the dark blessings of the Demon Lords of Nil upon you.

Episcopa Nymerya n'Lochli, Shadow of the Flame has lost you.

Nymerya inserts the Iron Key to the Infernal Machine into the air and turns. The sound of grinding gears and squealing wheels reverberates through the air, as an enormous iron doorway materializes around the key. Black oily smoke leaks out of the doorway as Nymerya opens it and steps through.

You mutter discontentedly.

You tug upon the aether strands around you, searching for one that connects to the Pool of Stars.