A Rest in the Hills

EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / BrontaurIndianapolis, IN, USA
I <3 whomever it was that took over @Sakima tonight. Thank you!

Everiine bows once more to the elder centaur.

Rising and leaning on his staff, you say to Sakima Stonemane, "Too long have I neglected to visit these hills, elder brother. I hope that, in time, you will accept my apology."

Tilting his head toward you, Sakima Stonemane says, "An apology for not visiting?"

Nodding his head, you say to Sakima Stonemane, "Aye." The old bird hooks one of the charms woven into his crest behind his ear. "For not being as watchful as I should have been. And for simply not visiting--unless my absence has been a relief!" He laughs with a twinkle of mirth in his eye. "I did not think I bored you so easily!"

A low, rumbling chuckle spills from Sakima Stonemane's lips as he shakes his head. "Your presence has always been welcome, brother. Boredom is a pleasure sometimes, it means you have the luxury of leisure." The centaur stretches briefly.

Sakima Stonemane says, "What brings you to the Hills, in any case?"

Without scabbards to hold them, Everiine stabs his rapiers into the ground for the time being. "To be honest? Homesickness. Which is strange, as these hills have never been my home. But I have been a hermit for long years now, wandering the paths of the Serenwilde alone to be in touch with the spirit of the Land. And I missed my kin. I felt a duty to return and guard, and a longing to rest among friends."

Sakima Stonemane nods in silent understanding, reflecting on your words.

A sudden breeze brings the sound of beads tapping against spears.

The same breeze ruffles Everiine's feathers and brings the sound of charms clinking together.

Sakima Stonemane inhales the scent of the sweetgrass, his eyes closing briefly. "Well, you are free to rest. Perhaps you will share what is happening in the Serenwilde these years of late."

Everiine takes a seat in the scoop and gets more comfortable, laying his carved staff across his lap. "I cannot say much," he admits. "I am mostly detached from the rest of my people. Not out of scorn or spite. Simply because, once I finished the task of guiding the early years of the Wodewoses and left them in the capable hands of the Wyldewald who succeeded me, I still had much of my own pain and hurt with which to deal after the ending of the Lost Tribe. I do not think I ever truly recovered. And then Kota departed..." The old bird looks worried, though he doesn't say anything more on the subject. "But as far as I can tell, the Seren persevere as they always have. Alliances shift, wars come and go. But the woods live on. Their spirit lives on."

Sakima Stonemane listens quietly as you share, folding his arms as you discuss your passing of the mantle of Wyldewald. When you mention Kota, he purses his lips. "He will be fine brother. The young must make their own way, especially when they feel like they must repent their actions."

Agreeing, Sakima Stonemane says, "And you are right, the Seren persists."

Everiine folds his hands in his lap. "He is strong, and I do not fear for his safety. But I cannot help but worry. He was devastated when he left. I have watched his brothers grow into fine young centaurs, Laka working in the Lyceum with our sister, and Toma studying under our brother to become a stargazer. So naturally, my thoughts often wander to their brother."

Sakima Stonemane says, "He will turn up in time." The centaur stamps a hoof into the ground, kicking up dust. "Either by his own will, or we will rediscover him. He needs to know how to live with his own grief, without the desires of others trying to console him."

Everiine opens his mouth to object, but all that comes out is a chuckle. "You are no help, do you know that?" He shakes his head and smooths down his feathered crest. "Yet you speak the truth, as I have always found you to do. Aye, he will return when he is ready; or by chance, by the blessing of the Great Moon-and-Hart, he will be found. Either way, it does no good for me to worry."

Rubbing his chin, you say, "What else could I share about the Serenwilde? Or what can you share about these hills?"

Sakima Stonemane dips his head in a short nod, a snort pulled out of him. "I might speak it, but you see truth."

Sakima Stonemane says, "Not much has happened in these hills, brother. We have been rearing new colts, fighting off the horde." He pauses, thinking deeply. "There was another of your people, a Wodewose who learned to make a bow using centaur technique from Domo. I cannot recall their name, unfortunately."

Everiine rubs his head. "I remember being told about that... though I too have forgotten who. @Faythe perhaps? In any case, it is good to see others learning from Domo."

Sakima Stonemane says, "Yes, that name sounds familiar."

Everiine stretches his wings out behind him until the joints pop, then folds them again.

Sakima Stonemane smirks at the sound. "You are getting old, brother."

Everiine grins and puffs up his chest. "And yet, you shall always be older, brother."

Sakima Stonemane snorts again, not in disagreement.

Everiine stretches his arms this time and shakes them out. "I have taken enough of your time, elder. It has been a pleasure, however, to sit and speak with you. I have missed it."

Nodding, Sakima Stonemane says, "Walk well brother. And remember, don't let yourself dwell too much with worry."

Everiine pulls himself up and retrieves his swords from the ground. "And you, brother." He flourishes a sword and salutes the elder centaur, then bows with his painted wings outstretched.

Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.