Emoting and Saying Improvements

I, and others, have mentioned in lots of different threads that we'd like to see a focus on improving our emoting/saying mechanics so that we can express ourselves more freely in roleplay.

It's a big topic, and while I wanted to post something earlier... I can't roleplay and write about roleplay at the same time. What can I say, time got away from me.

In any case, I've created a Google document, which anyone can add comments to. Please either add them to the doc, or discuss them below and I'll update the document!

There are lots of things I haven't yet covered. Maybe things I haven't thought about. 

Emoting: discuss!

Comments

• This is awesome! I could not support anything any more. I'll look at it more thoroughly in the morning and see if I have anything constructive to add. Here's hoping that these ideas get implemented!
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Started reading it, someone started editing it, got scared and will never look back.

I do, however, like the suggestions I was able to read.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • It's just me, updating it as I go. :(

If anyone should be scared, it should be me -- people are judging me as I type! Woe!
  • Yes, we get to see all your typos before you correct them. I shall forever judge you for typoing "name" as "anme" :P
  • D: Noooo, Ssaliss.... my typos....

I've added in that comment re: posemotes. I personally disagree that it would negate the purpose of looktexts, but it's something to consider. 

Thanks!
  • Anyway, I'm going to leave this thread and the document there for people to add comments to it. I have to sleep + work, so I won't look at it for a while.

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far!
  • Yes, much of the list being put into the game will be greatly appreciated. I've idea'd not seeing titles in people's emotes a couple of times already, if I remember correctly. It would be great to finally have it be considered and implemented.

• I would like to ask more emotes put in for krokani. Either a sort of 'single raised eyebrow' or alternate 'eyebrow' emote, or add in something about.

Gorlois' single eye seems to flare with a need for battle.
    Gorlois' single eye widens slightly as if having a deep revelation.

Relating to Krokano mostly. Also more racial emotes which are functional, like several races with the inherent abilities to climb and cling to trees. A full list is on Xiel's site. Some are overpowered, but it could help both rp, enjoyment and combat.
    A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
  • I threw one in (eyeflare) for Krokani.

Racial inherent abilities fall in the realm of racial changes, not emotes. (Sorry!)
  • It was more an afterthought, so it's fine. But thanks for eyeflare! As usual, always up for more benefits to my race but it's better than Eyesparkle. I get it now it's meant to replace the simple 'sparkle' but...  8-|
    A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
  • Supported!

On that note, I wish more people would make use of the 'like' and 'agree' flags. That way good ideas and contributions would be pushed onto the 'Best Of..' page and thus be far better visible!
  • I would also like to toss another idea out there: the removal of certain pre-defined emotes.

For example, I don't see why a random newb could walk up to my character at the Megalith and type 'fondle Ryanne'.. and he'd actually do that. If a pre-defined emote for this action did not exist, he could still do it of course, but he'd be forced to use the EMOTE command thus having to think twice before hitting enter.

Just some food for thought. ;)
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Wot, you don't like random fondling? That said, I don't see what reasoning there would be for removing said emotes. It's not like a random person can't walk up to you and grope you in the street/bus/office. Difference being that there are certain norms when it comes to RL actions, and you'd slap them across the face... which is what you can do in Lusternia too, possibly even harder, because if some novice just walked up to me and groped me, they'd be getting their face bashed in faster than they could apologize.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yeah, I make it very clear IC to certain other characters (in public ways) that certain emotes that imply my character's complicity in a romantic act will not be tolerated, as I made it quote obvious I wouldn't actual respond in the way the emote implies. I've only had to give out a few "If you touch me again, you'll lose that appendage" warnings, but if that's what you have to do...
  • Yeah, emote rape isn't cool.  I wonder if there could be an agree syntax added.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • We should also have an AGREE syntax whenever someone wants to send us a tell. Maybe we don't want to get tells right then?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There's a big huge difference between someone... talking at me, and someone doing an emote at me that has MY character doing something, like tongue wrestling or highfiving (though that last one is pretty mild, who cares?).
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah, the emotes that have you responding in kind are pretty awkward to justify with certain people.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to target two different people within the same custom emote? For some reason I feel it's not, but I'm too proud to test it out.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:
    There's a big huge difference between someone... talking at me, and someone doing an emote at me that has MY character doing something, like tongue wrestling or highfiving (though that last one is pretty mild, who cares?).
    I should definitely remember to deepkiss Enya next time around. I kind of missed the first time I aimed back in my Seren days. *snickers*

Also... justification is... your character got caught off-guard, by surprise, etc... and responded before realizing who it was kissing them. Don't know about you, but I've had that happen. >.> <.<

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ssaliss said:
    We should also have an AGREE syntax whenever someone wants to send us a tell. Maybe we don't want to get tells right then?
    You can already turn tells on/off at will.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Eh, I don't think we need to do that. Most people are reasonable and respectful, and if they get too out of line, well...there's ways to deal with that.
  • Eritheyl said:
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to target two different people within the same custom emote? For some reason I feel it's not, but I'm too proud to test it out.
    if you mean with the ^ syntax stuff then yah, you can target multiple people throughout unless its changed very recently.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It is still possible.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.