I need... something else.

Comments

• Going by anecdotal evidence, dex largely, str to a minor extent. Weapon stats and skill level also affects it marginally. None of these are admin-confirmed, though.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The dex and strength part of it are admin-confirmed; monks were designed to be dex-dependent with a smaller reliance on strength (just like warriors are strength dependent with a small reliance upon dex).

I know that warrior-specialization actually impacts damage to NPCs dramatically, so I would imagine that the same happens for monks.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I can say with a fair degree of certainty that str matters more against mobs. I bashed faster as krokani than aslaran, and aslaran hits faster.
  • Now I'm just confused. @Xenthos says it's Admin confirmed that Monks are Dex Primary Str Secondary against Mobs. @Celina says they're Strength Primary Dex secondary against mobs.

Who is to be believed? The Un-Honorable Ascendant or the Witch-Queen of Glomdoring?

:<
  • edited March 2013
    Titus said:
    Now I'm just confused. @Xenthos says it's Admin confirmed that Monks are Dex Primary Str Secondary against Mobs. @Celina says they're Strength Primary Dex secondary against mobs.

Who is to be believed? The Un-Honorable Ascendant or the Witch-Queen of Glomdoring?

Edit: Gonna retract this, as on second review I notice the vagueness.
  • edited March 2013
    Liok said:
    Titus said:
    Now I'm just confused. @Xenthos says it's Admin confirmed that Monks are Dex Primary Str Secondary against Mobs. @Celina says they're Strength Primary Dex secondary against mobs.

Edit: Gonna retract this, as on second review I notice the vagueness.
    Surely you can't be saying that Celina the Infallible brought up Warriors in a discussion about Monk damage vs mobs? :O

>.>

<.<
    Don't know what all that above me is, but in reference to mob damage for monks, str matters more. I believe, considering past discussions with more prominent monks, dex is the primary for pk.
  • If damage against beasts behaves like damage against mobs in general then dexterity matters more for monks than strength (for hunting mobs). I tested against my pet (not recently, so I can't give exact numbers) and faeling and aslaran came out about even. Krokani should be top damage wise, too, although I don't think the higher strength makes up for the lower speed in comparison. Dwarf sucked (despite having fairly high strength).
  • T'was an attempt at humor. I failed.

Thank you for the info.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    If gold-making is that big an issue, I wouldn't recommend loboshigaru. There's plenty of gold to be made selling esteem, on top of any gold you might make begging mobs, so a low-charisma race wouldn't be one that I'd recommend.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I suspect influencing won't be in his near future.  That involves at least one and ideally two other skillsets that he'll probably want to ignore in favor of more combat-oriented skills.

Later, once demi'd out with trans skills, he'll be able to influence moderately well.  Harmony can be set for three levels of ego regen, plus Performace, plus enchantment.  The Harmony mantras would include an influence-boosting passive.  Lobo have no EQ malus.  4 of the following would give +3 Charisma to his 11 base: Titan, Netzach, Beauty Blessing, Throne, Endowment.

• Actually, Titan, Endowment, Beauty blessing and Throne will land him at 16 cha in the end. Assuming you have the previously mentioned 4 buffs, then netzach would not provide any further increase unless paired with another cha-boosting buff. 16 cha is decent, but at demigod level, the higher crits will still make bashing the more efficient choice.

Making money with influencing is definitely possible, and is the far safer option than bashing. It's slower unless you're a high cha race, and not at a high enough level to crit, though. (Or if you have the esteem mask.)

My understanding of dex/str is that for monks, the stats have different effects on pve and pvp. Str affects pvp damage more, ala warriors, but dex affects pve damage more, for monks. This is my own anecdotal impression, so I may very well be mistaken. It would be nice if @Iosai or someone could give a clarification - on the current actual effect of the two stats. Since this is brought up, I'm curious to know, myself. I don't need the numbers in the code, just a general dex or str is more important, and whether there's a difference for pve and pvp will help. Please?

• Well, for pvp, you can try it out yourself. For pve, the only way of getting numbers is by hitting your beast and checking its score after the hit - IF hitting a beast is treated the same as hitting a regular mob. But I strongly suspect that it is.
  • Something must have changed during my hiatus.  I'll have to find out how buffs are stacking now.  Yes, influencing will probably never be something he does beyond quests and revolts.  But when you must, it's nice not to completely suck at it.

WAY back in the day, my tests showed dex to have greater impact PvE.  I would love to hear verification, though.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There is a decent chance that beasts don't get hit in the same way as mobs. Some beast things check players stats for their value, and Avenger/similar mechanics count your beast as you. Plus, I seem to remember some or another god objecting to people using numbers gotten from hitting beasts.
  • Lerad said:
    Actually, Titan, Endowment, Beauty blessing and Throne will land him at 16 cha in the end. Assuming you have the previously mentioned 4 buffs, then netzach would not provide any further increase unless paired with another cha-boosting buff. 16 cha is decent, but at demigod level, the higher crits will still make bashing the more efficient choice.

Making money with influencing is definitely possible, and is the far safer option than bashing. It's slower unless you're a high cha race, and not at a high enough level to crit, though. (Or if you have the esteem mask.)

My understanding of dex/str is that for monks, the stats have different effects on pve and pvp. Str affects pvp damage more, ala warriors, but dex affects pve damage more, for monks. This is my own anecdotal impression, so I may very well be mistaken. It would be nice if @Iosai or someone could give a clarification - on the current actual effect of the two stats. Since this is brought up, I'm curious to know, myself. I don't need the numbers in the code, just a general dex or str is more important, and whether there's a difference for pve and pvp will help. Please?
    You are correct. Strength is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvP; Dexterity is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvE.
  • Thanks for the information, Iosai! As always, it is greatly appreciated!

• Regarding loboshigaru influencing, it's definitely possible (even against the higher-end mobs like kephera and Tosha monks, although not the ones ranked like Maeve or kephera queens). Stack up the Harmony buffs and Ironwill from Psionics/Psychometabolism, plus all the other things mentioned above (Netzach, performance, wetfold, Beauty karma).
    If it's broken, break it some more.
    How did I get that backwards
  • Iosai said:
    Lerad said:
    Actually, Titan, Endowment, Beauty blessing and Throne will land him at 16 cha in the end. Assuming you have the previously mentioned 4 buffs, then netzach would not provide any further increase unless paired with another cha-boosting buff. 16 cha is decent, but at demigod level, the higher crits will still make bashing the more efficient choice.

You are correct. Strength is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvP; Dexterity is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvE.
    Umm.  Not sure if Iosai reversed it, but said Lerad was correct (who said STR PvE and DEX PvP) and then Iosai said the opposite.
  • What? No. Lerad said

Str affects pvp damage more, ala warriors, but dex affects pve damage more, for monks.

And Iosai said

Strength is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvP; Dexterity is the main modifier for Kata damage in PvE.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Awesome, thanks!
  • Wha does PVE mean?
    is dead like the dodo
  • Xeria said:
    Wha does PVE mean?
    Player vs Environment, is my interpretation. I.e. non-pk stuff

• Right.

• I've also heard 'Player versus Engine' and 'Player versus Entity'. I've always gone with the latter, personally.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Player vs enemy?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Clearly, it's Player vs EnnPeeCee.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited March 2013
    I have always read it as Player vs. Environment, simply because it covers more than just mobs. The bulk of it is the NPC interaction, however.

I do like the idea of Player vs. Engine or Player vs. Eventru, though (for clearly different reasons!). One is an apt description, rather more so than 'environment', and the other just tickles my fancy.