Things an Achaea player should know?

I'm considering starting playing Lusternia after being an Achaea player for a long time, I'm curious what I should know about that's different (and awesome) about Lusternia.

Comments

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited April 2013
    The mechanic that has stood out the most for me is the Lesson Pool system(Parent Pool - Child Pool - Sibling Pools), it took a while to get used to, but it has made me value my skills and evaluate my choices better. Conversely, there's a LOT of wonderful skills with wonderful themes. The lines for the skills themselves are far from being bland.

The admins here are very quick to respond to players via the Forums and other means like Facebook, etc. Plus we have @Iosai. In our heart of hearts, we know we're all members of Her Order.

Thievery is frowned upon. Thieves are lynched. You could lose something during a fight yet enemies would most likely return the item in question.

The BEST thing about Lusternia would the Histories and all related literature, hands down. The events and quests(we have tons of HONOURS and non-honours line rewarding quest) would come close, as they supplement the Histories.

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Draukar said:
    I'm considering starting playing Lusternia after being an Achaea player for a long time, I'm curious what I should know about that's different (and awesome) about Lusternia.
    We RP here.  Combat is almost exclusively group-based.  Very rarely will you get into a 1v1 scuffle, unless you are actively (and VERY actively) looking for it.  Lusternia is planar - instead of one big map, we have multiple maps layered on top of each other.  We can influence instead of bash.  I mean, the list is reallllllllly long.

My favorite things that make me love Lusternia WAY more than Achaea are threefold:

1. Combat is SO MUCH MORE complex.  Not only because we have more afflictions and balance than Achaea, but because each guild (not only each archetype) generally has some sort of guild-specific affliction/action/thing that you have to know about, learn, and counter.

2. The RP and setting are fantastic.  Achaea always felt very... stale.  It was the typical, "Oh we're good, oh we're evil, oh we're neutral, oh we like art."  Lusternia... is not.  Glomdoring wants the world to become Wyrden, Serenwilde wants to take over the world with natural forest, Celest wants to show the world the Light, Magnagora wants to spread the Taint, Hallifax wants to assimilate the world (and is pretty cool, being communist and all), and Gaudiguch wants the world to accept each other (I think).  All of this sounds really simplistic... until you dive into it.

3. The community.  In-game, or on the forums, this game has the best people in it I've ever met.  End of story.
    Oh, and we have the best annual Apocalypse. :) 
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Avoiding the Lusternia facebook group should help you out a lot.

Credits are in the same rut though, so you won't find them easy to buy.
    A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
    Gorlois said:
    Avoiding the Lusternia facebook group should help you out a lot.

There was a time when credits were at 3k per. I miss those days.

#bringShikariback 

• edited April 2013
    Achaea's come a long way since you played it, @Gorlois! All of the IRE games have RP, it's just that it takes different forms and Achaea's playerbase is so huge that the "I just want to combats/snuggle/whatever" crowd, always present, is also much larger. :( Not that loving on Lusternia isn't awesome, since everyone here hopefully loves Lusternia, but all the games have something to appeal or else people wouldn't play them. :P

At any rate, @Draukar, the most important thing is that classes are tied to guilds, which are tied to cities. The vast majority of classes will cease to function, or function well, outside of their home city. So I suggest first picking a city or commune (forest cities) that you like, then picking a guild you like, in that order.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • edited April 2013
    Siam said:
    Gorlois said:
    Avoiding the Lusternia facebook group should help you out a lot.

There was a time when credits were at 3k per. I miss those days.
    Scratch 3k, how about 1k? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen credits go 4k => 10k => 30k over the course of my total time playing.

Also, there is no good/evil alignment here if you kill certain things, just people being given a base to work from and ignoring it completely in the end.
    Yep, there was that time, too! Well, talking about credits, we have Artisanals and Bardics - one great way to earn credits - in Lusternia. :)

#bringShikariback 

• Ileein said:
    Achaea's come a long way since you played it, @Gorlois! All of the IRE games have RP, it's just that it takes different forms and Achaea's playerbase is so huge that the "I just want to combats/snuggle/whatever" crowd, always present, is also much larger. :( Not that loving on Lusternia isn't awesome, since everyone here hopefully loves Lusternia, but all the games have something to appeal or else people wouldn't play them. :P

At any rate, @Draukar, the most important thing is that classes are tied to guilds, which are tied to cities. The vast majority of classes will cease to function, or function well, outside of their home city. So I suggest first picking a city or commune (forest cities) that you like, then picking a guild you like, in that order.
    Thanks for that advice, the choices for races and classes and guilds is a bit overwhelming.
  • An important and wonderful thing to make yourself aware of here is the Avenger system. PK on Prime keeps track of who initiates what, giving everyone a measure of safety in one plane (all others are open PK). This prevents certain types of people from farming others based on some lousy excuse of "RP"-based hostility everywhere.

Of course, like any system, some hiccups occur, but personally, this is one of the biggest and better differences Lusternia has over Achaea.
  • Draukar said:
    Ileein said:

Thanks for that advice, the choices for races and classes and guilds is a bit overwhelming.
    If you need advice, you can post here to ask for it! I'm sure people would be more than happy to help guide you through the selection process. And it's very easy to switch at first.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Your race isn't as important, but your guild will define your life in Lusternia. There's no cross-classing, no multi-class guilds. Your archetype and skills are defined totally by the guild, as well as your character's RP culture and society. Your guild is more important than your city or commune.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yes, your guild is the most important choice you make, by far.
  • I don't know if you guys are being sarcastic or not. Some people have been in every guild on one character, hopping all over the place without giving it much thought.

It's what you make of it. As long as you try and have fun.

You can have fun in practically any guild, but your guild really does form a huge core motivational part of who most characters are... because it almost entirely defines what your character is capable of, and often provides guild-specific philosophies and culture. All of the personal-growth game playing mechanics center around the guild, from advancement paths, to core skills, to group RP. The difference between  what a day in the life of a Aquamancer and a Paladin is a much larger than the difference between a Aquamancer and a Pyromancer, when you really get down to it. 

The fact that skills are so integrally tied to guilds is what causes the problem you describe, where players bounce around. Basically, no matter how great and fun a guild is... if the skills are unfun or suck, it can be painful to stick around and you are forced to swap guilds to swap skillsets. Uprooting yourself from being a... Wildewood Hartstone member to a... Loboshigaru Shofangi is an enormous character change, even though you would have stayed in the same org.
    And from another perspective... all the places you insert $$ into the game are guild specific. You really only need to put in more $$ (for skills) if you leave your guild (Which determines skills).
  • edited April 2013
    Choosing a guild is not everything. Lots of people swap guilds and orgs like they use toilet paper so it can't be that important, and the guilds have adapted, somewhat. You just have to make different choices and see where they get you. Lots of avenues in this game, but it is easily abusable.

You take the bad with the good.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Eh, it's not like the person can't explore while still a novice without losing lessons, so choosing shouldn't be that big a deal. They can go and check out multiple guilds before deciding on what to go with, and if the race is too big a deal for the guild in question, could always make a new character once they decide where they want to play.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I think you're both missing the point here.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Dragonknight is not an acceptable name choice in Lusternia.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    EXP is way easier to come by, credits are way more expensive, and there is only one skill with no abilities in it. 

Anybody can get involved in crafting and design without having to pay 200 credits (or whatever the insane license fee is).

One of the biggest and best differences I've noticed is that the lore is generally coherent. As far as I know, Estarra has shaped Lusternia according to The Plan since day one, so for the most part there aren't many things that seem to come out of nowhere.

The stage system will always be my single favorite feature of all time. Check that out for sure - it puts the Scarlattan Theatre system to shame.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Gorlois said:
    I don't know if you guys are being sarcastic or not. Some people have been in every guild on one character, hopping all over the place without giving it much thought.

It's what you make of it. As long as you try and have fun.

Gorlois said:
    Choosing a guild is not everything. Lots of people swap guilds and orgs like they use toilet paper so it can't be that important, and the guilds have adapted, somewhat. You just have to make different choices and see where they get you. Lots of avenues in this game, but it is easily abusable.

You take the bad with the good.
    These are also the people with the shallowest characters. For a player who cares about what motivates his/her character, yes, the guild is the most important decision. For a player who doesn't give a hoot about RP or only focuses on the lulz aspects of the game, no, guild isn't important.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I do intend to focus on RP, or as I see it "just playing my character".

I appreciate the help. I'll give it some thought and hopefully start off running soon!

• Draukar said:
    So give it a shot! All the IRE muds are based on the same engine so you'll fine it "feels" familiar. If you dislike politics and like being a rogue, Lusternia will prove disappointing.. but prepare for a much uniquer, surreal world.
  • Draukar said:

Ileein said:

Yeah, achaea shutting down their artisanal/bardic competitions (4 times a year guise LOL) seems nonsensical to me with them still having the biggest player base. If we can still do one a month then they definitely can. Artbards are the only way I have to get significant credits, so I love 'em to pieces.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Lillie said:

Draukar said:

Ileein said:

Yeah, achaea shutting down their artisanal/bardic competitions (4 times a year guise LOL) seems nonsensical to me with them still having the biggest player base. If we can still do one a month then they definitely can. Artbards are the only way I have to get significant credits, so I love 'em to pieces.

I really wanna try submitting something, but 1) I'm really self-conscious about my writing, and 2) the competition looks SO TOUGH.

On topic: I hope you decide to stick around! Everyone one is always supe willing to help out a new face :)
  • I'm looking forward it. I have much to learn about the Lusternia lore and world.

The engine may be the same, but so much is very different. Just wish I could transfer my credits to my Lusternia character, heh.
  • Draukar said:
    I'm looking forward it. I have much to learn about the Lusternia lore and world.

The engine may be the same, but so much is very different. Just wish I could transfer my credits to my Lusternia character, heh.
    Ask on the trading forums.  Many people cross-trade credits.
  • Kio said:
    I really wanna try submitting something, but 1) I'm really self-conscious about my writing, and 2) the competition looks SO TOUGH. On topic: I hope you decide to stick around! Everyone one is always supe willing to help out a new face :)
    Submitting to artisanals/bardics, it should be mentioned, is something that has no negative side effects involved (Unless you find yourself fond of plagiarizing. Then the side effects are negative indeed!). If your creative work is awarded with credits, then your piece is showcased on Lusternia's website; if your work is not awarded credits, then your work is not publicized at all. Nothing to lose, really, and everything to gain!

See HELP BARDIC and HELP ARTISANAL for details, and submit here.

*NOTE: You may submit one entry each in both the artisanal and bardic
    categories in any given month. However, if you do submit in both
    categories, you will only be eligible for one award for that month. Both
    entries will be judged but if you qualify for awards in both categories,
    you will only be given one award (the highest award of the two or one
    chosen at the discretion of the judges in the case of a tie).*

*For example, if Morgfyre submitted an artisanal entitled, "Merian Flesh at Midnight," which earned a runner-up placing, but he also submitted a bardic called "Ode to a Smelly Pool of Stars" that earned a merit placing, only the artisanal piece will earn him credits for that month.
    @Isune - I've been wondering - what if that merit place got him to the next rank for Bardics? Will he get the rank bonus?

#bringShikariback