m&m system & questions thread

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I've never had the rewielding work for me either. 

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/1393e210

That's what always happens, so I usually just leave it configged off to cut down on weird spam. This does remind me that I need to re-buy fist sigils for my replacement shield and garland!
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I mean like, if I had broken limbs, it would keep trying to rewield instead of healing the limbs then rewielding. I know how to tweak or ignore aff prios, but I'm not quite sure how I'd get the autorewield function to respect that.

• I'll check it out.
  • Thanks, fixed wielding up.
  • edited May 2015
    Nvm. My fault.
  • edited May 2015
    I'm trying to install m&m, but I keep getting the following error after selecting the ZIP file with Mudlet's Package Manager:

Lua error:/usr/share/games/mudlet/lua/LuaGlobal.lua:29: attempt to index global 'zip' (a nil value)

I'm running Mudlet 2.1 on Xubuntu.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

I have no experience whatsoever with MUD clients or coding, so please ELI5 if possible.

Thanks!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Do you have liblua, lua-filesystem, and lua-zip installed? These can be installed from Synaptic (I assume Xubuntu uses that).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Is there anyway to stop it from trying to cure deafness when I have truehearing up?

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Everiine said:

Do you have liblua, lua-filesystem, and lua-zip installed? These can be installed from Synaptic (I assume Xubuntu uses that).

I've just installed Xubuntu as well, so I'm not sure how I get these packages. What is Synaptic? I've always used Windows and MacOS my whole life... Until now.

Regardless, I seem to have installed Lua through LuaDist, but I'm not sure. I'm a complete noob with MUDs, Lua, Linux...

Unfortunately I still get the same error when trying to install m&m. I guess I should I give up.

The annoying thing is, I paid for m&m, but the whole thing doesn't seem to be straightforward enough for someone like me. The instructions seemed simple, 1, 2, 3, but hey.

Perhaps someone could be kind enough to post step by step instructions, including how to install packages on Linux?

I do enjoy playing Lusternia via the HTML5 client though, but fighting is a pain... I spend more time trying to find cures than actually fighting. Not really practical to continue I guess.

Thanks a lot!
  • Sorry if I say this, but you paid for m&m, you did not pay for xUbuntu.

When I switched to Ubuntu in 2008 I spent days googling the net in search of a way to get my wireless card working (proprietary drivers suck). That's simply how it is. MacOS places you in a golden cage. So long as you stay there, everything is fine. Windows treats you like a baby - again as long as you're fine with that -you- will be fine.

If you use Linux you -will- run into problems and you -will- be responsible yourself for fixing them. I still spend a lot of time trying to fix stuff -.- (but I also occasionally mess with stuff I shouldn't mess with).

---

That said: I had the very same problem, and I was missing a package. I've already forgotten which it was though. Try installing the ones Everiine mentioned.

Open a terminal and use the APT-GET command.

apt-get -h    --> will display the help file.

sudo apt-get install <package>    ---> will install a package (see Everiine's command for which to try).

You will need root rights (that's what sudo before the command does) so don't be surprised if it prompts you to enter your password the first time around.

Hope that helps!
  • edited May 2015
    Yacsee said:

Sorry if I say this, but you paid for m&m, you did not pay for xUbuntu.

When I switched to Ubuntu in 2008 I spent days googling the net in search of a way to get my wireless card working (proprietary drivers suck). That's simply how it is. MacOS places you in a golden cage. So long as you stay there, everything is fine. Windows treats you like a baby - again as long as you're fine with that -you- will be fine.

If you use Linux you -will- run into problems and you -will- be responsible yourself for fixing them. I still spend a lot of time trying to fix stuff -.- (but I also occasionally mess with stuff I shouldn't mess with).

---

That said: I had the very same problem, and I was missing a package. I've already forgotten which it was though. Try installing the ones Everiine mentioned.

Open a terminal and use the APT-GET command.

apt-get -h    --> will display the help file.

sudo apt-get install <package>    ---> will install a package (see Everiine's command for which to try).

You will need root rights (that's what sudo before the command does) so don't be surprised if it prompts you to enter your password the first time around.

Hope that helps!

I understand that. I wasn't blaming anyone, I was actually frustrated with myself.

Having said that, thank you! It finally worked!

I was aware of the sudo apt-get commands, I just didn't realise I could get individual packages with them.

Anyway, after downloading lua-filesystem and lua-zip, it seems Mudlet loaded m&m.

Again, thanks @Yacsee and @Everiine

• Glad it worked and you're welcome. :)

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit aggressive. I just wanted to make it clear you'll have to expect running into problems like this every once in a while - and god knows I get plenty of frustrated myself trying to solve them.

I'd recommend also getting Synaptic Package Manager. It's a handy tool and sooner or later you'll always have to deal with packages, (broken) dependencies and whatnot. You can do a lot with apt-get but sometimes a gui is just practical. (Should be available for download however and whereever xUbuntu handles Software installs.)

And now have fun playing Lusternia!!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    All Ubuntu's come with Synaptic. It's the easiest way to find and install new packages (which is why it's so widely used and so popular). I've not used Xunbuntu, but if you look in your Menu, probably under System or Administration or something like that, you'll find Synaptic Package Manager. It's great for when you don't want to deal with installing packages via the command line.

I'm glad those packages worked! I have the same problem any time I wipe my systems and reinstall Mudlet--I often forget those packages.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Quick question. Do I need to use the dv, df, and wf commands to get my afflictions and wound status all the time, or is the system checking that itself and curing as it seems it normally? (Or does it ONLY check when I DV?)
  • The system will diagnose automatically when it estimates a need to (after a certain number of unknown afflictions, can be configured), but the DV command allows you to instruct it to check it as soon as it next can, to confirm the afflictions you have. Generally speaking, you don't need to diagnose that much, since the system catches pretty much everything, but there are cases when you want the system to be on the ball a little more, and cure a little more efficiently, and diagnosing helps it to catch what it may have missed while under blackout and the sort.

Wounds are pretty much the same, it will estimate everything based off its lines, and automatically check wounds when the circumstances call for it. Wound lines, however, are not quite as comprehensively put in, and the variable nature of wounds (varies according to the user's weapon stats, abilities etc) will make its estimates a lot less accurate. Checking wounds once in a while when fighting warriors to bring the system up on point to the situation is not a bad idea.

• 2nd question.

I'm trying to use the obey script, and it says the command mmconfig obey doesn't exist. Any thoughts?
  • Ah, question, have I missed a post by Vadi saying he is absent or something like that?
    A horde of beings swarms about Your bulk. They are diverse in shape but are, without exception, horrific to look upon. Claws and teeth without number flash across Your vision, and nebulous masses of compound eyes and writhing tentacles and spindly antennae all twist around You. With the merest thought, You open wide Your maw and lazily swallow one.
  • So I have secondarysparkle set to on and sparkleherb set to coltsfoot.

Yet it keeps eating sparkleberry instead of coltsfoot every once in a while. It's definitly m&m as I get these kind of echoes: (eat coltsfoot|outr coltsfoot|outr
    sparkleberry|eat sparkleberry)

.. does anyone know why this is happening and especially how I can turn that off? I have very little sparkleberry as it's expensive... I really do not want to keep wasting it like that. :/
  • It's probably blackout - m&m will eat both if the need to activate the sparkleberry effect occurs during blackout. I think I asked Vadi about the reasoning for the failsafe, but I forgot exactly why. 

What I used to do as a penniless newbie was to keep a pocketbelt and have a trigger to take all my sparkleberry out and put it into my pocketbelt whenever I activated secondarysparkle, so that it would try to eat real sparkle during the failsafe but fail because there's none in my rift. The trigger will then put the sparkleberry back into the rift whenever secondarysparkle is disabled.

Pocketbelts no longer exist, unfortunately. You could put them in a pack, but I'm not sure if they will drop when you die (I think they will) in which case you will lose your entire stock instead of just those that the system eats through the failsafe. At the moment, bashing enough gold for sparkles shouldn't be too difficult, but if it is an expense you really can't afford, you might want to consider just not buying any, and leaving it disabled unless you're using secondarysparkle (in which case it will try to eat, but fail because you actually don't have any sparkleberry).

• Thanks!

A failsafe would make sense, though I don't think it's only blackout that triggers it. I was going for abhorrences and fesixes yesterday, neither blackout tmi. And the quoted line came from fesixes.. I should probably pay attention when it does it exactly to figure out what triggers it, not that that would help me in preventing it. :/

And yeah, I thought about putting sparkleberry in the pack but they do drop on death as far as I know and on astral that's not really a chance I want to take. And I think I can't even give stuff to my pony..

So if there's any way to turn that off, at least temporarily, that'd be great.
  • Would an MMIGNORE command work?
    Cuz if I get truedeaf up it keeps trying to cure my deafness for some reason.

• Started working on the defence update - will be out soon.
  • edited May 2015
    As some Seren's have noticed. I've been having trouble with having cleanse actually cure in slow-mode. I've changed my priorities with the update, and it doesn't seem to correct the issue. Any suggestions?

Also @Vadi, is there any chance that you can add focus enchantment to keepup?
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Could you show a log?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    If you are a healer and don't keep a cleanse enchant on you, you need to identify that you are using sanitise. I will have to check the mmconfig command when I get back but I had that issue at first. 
  • edited May 2015
    Is there a function to queue up for immediate... action? I don't want to wait until next balance, I just want to make sure I'm not screwed with aeon or whatever and do it now.
  • doesn't the DO or DOFREE command do that?

• They both require balance to fire. I'm sure I can figure something out, was just curious if something already existed that I overlooked. 
  • You can check http://doc.mm.vadisystems.com/#mm.inslowcuringmode to see if you'll be screwed or not
  • Does anyone else have issues with the Logging in Mudlet?

I log to HTML and quite frankly I am lazy. I turn logging on when I log on and off when I log off, and then if there is a fight or something I can just scroll through the HTML file on my browser and find it. However, it doesn't seem to log consistently.

Take today for example. Logging logged "most" of the day(5mb) I was on including the revolt cutting off towards the end and then nothing for a couple hours until it then logged in a new file(437kb) the Domoth fight, the unimportant stuff and only about 5 minutes of that.

Is there someway to make it more consistent and stop randomly chopping out hours of logging?