Maerad Defends Idealism

edited April 2013 in Event Scrolls
Shedrin engages Citizens with more blunt interrogation techniques. Maerad defends her honour.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles and says, "I think he would be very interested in them. It's a pity we don't have more people interested in it - they could give classes!"

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete looks thoughtful and says, "Experiments do take a great amount of time and thought to set up and follow through with."

The corners of Zyphora's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete says, "They could."

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete smiles impishly and says, "Perhaps creating a lecture for the stage could count as an exploration."

Maerad folds her wings around herself's body, wrapping her in a feathered embrace.

Zyphora lazily draws her wings to and fro through the air, fanning them slowly.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says to you, "Mama says you are able to speak at length on philosophy, sir."

You say, "I never philosophize."

Maerad tilts her head curiously.

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete looks thoughtful and says, "Hmm, perhaps that was not Shedrin I was thinking of."

You say, "There are many Shedrins."

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete says, "Not quite too many, but enough that they are easily mistaken for one another."

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete says, "Yes, this particular one is more of a scientific individual.."

Maerad ponders the situation.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "I suppose alternatively I could do the exploring Collectivism task, but it seems silly to waste the time I've spent studying the schools."

Chancellor Entrias Windwhisper, Maintenance Engineer says, "It is never a silly waste of time to better one's self, dear. Even though it may not be useful now, it will be in the future."

Maerad's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete says to Maerad, "I do not believe they are necessarily mutually exclusive. I was torn between two when I was attempting to choose one that suited my own views, but I believe traditionally, as demonstrated by the Mentors scroll, Aeromancers choose one to align themselves to."

Maerad ponders the situation.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says to Zyphora, "Existentialism was the one that confused me. It seems to fit quite happily with several of the others - Rationalism, Pragmatism especially. Since you can prove what you have made of your life with results and approach it with organisation."

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete looks thoughtful and says, "I am afraid I must re-read the scrolls to refresh my memory."

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, High Scion of the Aesthete says, "I shall look into it and see what I can find."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper looks thoughtful and says, "The way I understood it, Existentialism is the belief that life is what you make of it - that you are given a blank slate and the power is yours to etch upon it."

You say to Maerad, "Be a Rationalist."

You say to Maerad, "It is the rational choice."

Maerad giggles happily.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says to you, "I believe if I am anything, sir, I am an Idealist. But I agree that your point is well made."

You say to Maerad, "Elaborate."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles and says to you, "The idea that things are given meaning by our interpretation of them - that appeals to me, as an artist. Not to mention the tendency to exist in the lofty realms of concepts, rather than actualities."

You say, "Meaning is a superficial layer of subjectivity."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper shuffles her wings slightly in embarrassment.

You say to Maerad, "There is only what exists, and what does not, and the interactions of the existing objects."

You say to Maerad, "Respond."

You nod your head at yourself.

Stuttering slightly, Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "That sounds much more like an Empirical view, sir - if you would look for proof over meaning."

You say to Maerad, "What use is meaning? Does it incur more than restlessness and delay?"

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper frowns and says, "I think all the layers of our understanding are important, sir. I can see an argument that the origins may be more important, but I think it would be ill-conceived to dismiss all those that come after it. Our understanding is developed over time, as we take our thoughts through different angles of analysis. And yet there are still some things we cannot comprehend, overarching concepts that we cannot pin down. Perhaps one day we will understand them all, and I shall be proven wrong - but I do not think that I am yet erroneous in my view that they are important."

You say to Maerad, "Perhaps all knowledge has some minor relevance, but is there not priorities? Will subjective interpretations lead to a greater progress for the Collective? Should not the focus be on the objective, easy to comprehend and utilize?"

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "I believe there are priorities, yes sir. And that is why I would not suggest that everyone subscribe to an Idealist point of view - each of the schools has, I think, a role to play within the Collective...just as each caste does, each different sort of artist or scientist, each guild. Nonetheless I do not think that the Idealist school ought to be dismissed purely because others have merit."

You say to Maerad, "And what is the contribution of Idealism?"

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "The interpretation of that put forth by the other schools, for a start. Much like Philosophy does for Science. I do not think you would argue that Philosophy is worthless because Science provides empirical fact? It is the same with Idealism in regards to the others, I believe."

You say to Maerad, "Though a tempting argument, I do propose that it lacks in specifics."

You say to Maerad, "Shall we concede to its usefulness on the basis of appeal to its name as a School?"

You say to Maerad, "Perhaps Idealism was planted as a corrosive idea by Gaudiguchan agents."

You say to Maerad, "All that subjectivty of interpretation. Perhaps it is but Paradigmatics in disguise."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "I do not know a great deal about Paradigmatics, sir, but...concepts as Idealism subscribes to them are thoughts, measures. Through experimentation with them, we can further define the concept and thus the things within them that it touches. For example...if I seek to experiment with the concept of Time, though I do so on a level removed from the studies of scientists I may well - in my abstract approach - uncover a notion that had not occurred to them, entrenched as they are in the collection and analysis of facts."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "It is true to say that Idealism is little without the other schools, perhaps. But then is Existentialism not the same? For how can they prove that the branches in their paths hold meaning without Empiricist views to tether the proof to, or Rationalism to argue their choices."

You say to Maerad, "Hmm hmm. Perhaps we should remove Existentialism and Idealism."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles impishly and says, "I believe then we ought to strike off Empiricism and Pragmatism, sir, for one can hardly have results without proof."

You say to Maerad, "Good point. We shall all remain Rationalists."

You say to Zyphora, "Provost, make it so."

Zyphora's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "The logic of which would be nothing without Empiricism, sir. How else would you form a denial of a premise?"

You say to Maerad, "How can we expect to work with objects that we cannot logically prove exist?"

You say to Maerad, "That is much too much uncertainty."

You say to Maerad, "Errors can happen."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles and says, "Surely you cannot, sir. And that is why I am here to do it for you."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles and says, "Allow me, in my lofty idealism, to throw caution to the wind and play with the mere notions of things - and I in turn shall make my lofty remarks that you - in your rationalism - may dissect as you wish. Yet, they may still provide you with inspiration to new logics."

You say to Maerad, "Hmm hmm. So Idealism provides with the benefit of creativity."

Nodding, Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "Thus is Idealism as important to Rationalism, sir, as an artist is to a scientist. For in a painting, an Aeonicist may see the formation of Time anew - despite the painter's having no knowledge of science."

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper says, "...merely because the artist thought it aesthetically pleasing to form the gardens of their painting in such a fashion, or similar."

You say to Maerad, "And so, without Idealism, stagnation would occur?"

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper's eyes gleam slightly as she nods, unfolding her wings slightly as she relaxes a little - the fervor of the debate settling.

Shifting Current Maerad Windwhisper smiles broadly and says to you, "Thank you, sir. I think I understand how the schools interact with much more clarity now."

Maerad curtseys gracefully before you.