Beast Questions

edited May 2013 in Q&A

Im sure a lot of this has been answered somewhere or are help files, but i looked for both and found little. When riding got switched to beastmastery i never asked around or understood how the new system works. The skills are the main part, i got most of the feeding stuff answered already. The beast i plan on getting will be for hunting and pvp only, no influencing whatsoever. Also not interested in any of the "special" movement skills (diving, climbing, etc.), also dont want the curing skills (focus or player regen ones).

Questions:

1.) Does your beast using bodyguard actually take their health away when they get hit?

2.) Is aggression worth having? I know its not a must-have, but just wondering the number difference on this.

3.) If the answer to question one is yes, which im assuming it is, how necessary are armour and regeneration skills? Numbers on armour would be great.

4.) Which is the best beast to purchase in everyones opinion? The skills i (almost) know im going with for sure are: riding, battle, gallop, regen (health and mana), bodyguard, poison. Also, take looks out of this, i dont care alot about looks unless its a pink fairy princess rainbow elephant or something girlish like that.

5.) I know this will vary by what you feed it, but what are stats (health mana ego) levels for pets? 1k? 10k? less? more? And how much does regeneration tic for? and empath heal for?

6.) Trample used to be extremely good back in the day, but has since been down-graded. Is it still good to use. Im really talking about a more one vs. one situation. Is it good enough to warrant the 200 extra trains?

7.) I know there is a beast balance, but does this have anything to do with player balance at all? What hampers using beast powers? (balance, equilibrium, broken arms, ugly face, etc.) Also, do any beast powers use beast balance and player balance? Seems like trample did, but its been a long time since the change so im not sure.

8.) Is it wise to go half and half on health/mana for this beast or more mana or more health?

9.) Does hypnoticgaze paralyze or sleep? Im confused because of the hypnotic part of it, but basilisks have it, so im curious.

10.) Is swimming necessary? Very confused on this, if im on the beast and try to walk to the sea will it tell me i cant cause the mount, or will i just auto-lose it? Does waterwalk have any effect?

11.) How effective is beast blocking? I know blocking checks size, type of blocking used (firm or not) and probably other stuff now, so how is the steed considered?

12.) What other trains should i invest in? I know this is not a straight forward answer and it will vary from guild to guild and preference, just wondering what is the most useful and most used skills. weaknesses and strengths and such.

I know this is a lot, i tried to be as specific as possible. And i really appreciate any answers or feedback.

Best Answers

Answers

• Wow, some answers surprised me there. And has changed my mind on a few skills.

Now, you said beast balance doesnt have much to do with player balance, just that the player has to be on balance. So someone couldnt say attack an enemy with their sword then command beast to cast reflection on them after the fact? And, do any afflictions hinder using beast commands? Im sure stun and sleep would, but what about blind, paralyze, etc?

HypnoticGaze, does anyone know the list of random affs it does? Is it just one at a time, or two, and is this worth investing in?

And last, does aggression have a seperate command for breaking shields or just is just do it automatically if shield is up?

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2013
    Beat me to it. 

Blind hinders beast attacks, as does anything that totally prevents commands being put in, but being prone does not.

Hypnoticgaze does one, with a chance of two (I think), and they are explicit... as in, systems will instantly know what they are hit with once they see the line. It's only good for a few tactics, for that reason.

Aggression just breaks shields automatically. Of course, it's bashing only!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Barendur said:

Wow, some answers surprised me there. And has changed my mind on a few skills.

Now, you said beast balance doesnt have much to do with player balance, just that the player has to be on balance. So someone couldnt say attack an enemy with their sword then command beast to cast reflection on them after the fact? And, do any afflictions hinder using beast commands? Im sure stun and sleep would, but what about blind, paralyze, etc?

HypnoticGaze, does anyone know the list of random affs it does? Is it just one at a time, or two, and is this worth investing in?

And last, does aggression have a seperate command for breaking shields or just is just do it automatically if shield is up?

If you attack with the sword you are off-balance (as per 7's answer), so you cannot command the beast.  It has to be the other way around- you have to order the beast first.

Some afflictions do hinder beast ordering.  For example, disloyalty; if afflicted with it your beast will ignore your commands.

Aggression does not have a separate command, it happens automatically if you order it to attack and the target has a shield up.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Some abilities do consume player balance IIRC. Flight being one.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• What does daydreaming actually do?
    Trample does too, but that's mostly why it's pretty useless in 1v1.  Most beast commands don't.  It would make sense that flight does, but "making sense" doesn't really dictate it.  Even some commands that you would think consume player balance (like Charging) do not.  It may very well be just Flight, Burrowing, and Trample.  I can't test Jumping.
    Barendur said:
    What does daydreaming actually do?
    Knocks you off-eq on a periodic basis.
  • I appreciate the feedback, that answered pretty much all of my questions. Thanks alot.

• Well, i thought i was done, ill probably pop in and out of here as i come across more, anyways...

is balancing necessary? What does it actually stop?

Balancing isn't "necessary".  All it does is increase your summoning / movement resistance (as observed on STAT in the Rooting column).  If you want to be harder to move, you should use it.  Otherwise, don't.

But it only works when mounted, so if you're not a Cavalier it's tough to take consistent advantage of it (except during standoffs).
    /me tries setting this thing to not be in 'question' status any more.
    /me blinks in surprise.

... what the heck did I just do there?
    Help, help, I broke it?  :(
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    You emoted. It's when you use /me.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Neos said:
    You emoted. It's when you use /me.
    Yeah, I already tweeted that.

There's a character limit on it, too.  I wrote more but the emote ate it.
  • edited May 2013
    /me wants everyone to know beast kick uses beast and player balance

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Llandros said:
    /me wants everyone to know beast kick uses beast and player balance
    We knew that, I think it's jumping we were unsure of.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!